Is this a new change? Dollar amount included in classic drink package.

Octavias

10 minutes ago, RichYak said:

More likely that's just the difference between a ship sailing from the UK (where the 20% gratuity is included in the drink price) and other countries (where the gratuity is extra).

^^^^This ^^^^

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Octavias said:

I was watching a you tuber and he mentioned that the value of drinks included in the classic package had gone from 12.00 down to 10.00.  Is this a new change?  

This was the case on the Celebrity Beyond in the Mediterranean last month--pretty annoying, a number of drinks I got last summer gratis now had $1 or $2 plus gratuity added to the price.  I thought it was more obnoxious than anything else--not a lot of money, but annoying to have sign off on it every time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spectromen said:

I can confirm the threshold is $10 and there are a LOT of drinks priced at $11...😏

I was quite surprised last month.  2 cruises last summer with Classic package, and I never went over, not once.  This summer, it happened all the time, and as I said--not a lot of money, but had to sign for it every time, which is the exact reason I get a Classic package, to NOT have to be constantly signing for stuff.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Random Cruizer said:

I was quite surprised last month.  2 cruises last summer with Classic package, and I never went over, not once.  This summer, it happened all the time, and as I said--not a lot of money, but had to sign for it every time, which is the exact reason I get a Classic package, to NOT have to be constantly signing for stuff.

It would cost me $40/day + 20% to upgrade from Classic.  I'm prepared to sign a few bits of paper!  🙂

Edited by ElmaLee
  • Like 3

They raise the prices on the cruises, then nickel and dime you on the drink package. Shame on Celebrity. For $10.00, they'll gladly give you a bottle of water, or some rot gut liquor. I've priced Celebrity, Princess, and HAL, all with their versions of "All In", and found Celebrity, in a balcony, was about $1000.00 more than the other 2. HAL was the cheapest by about $200.00 less than Princess. I love Celebrity, but they've priced me out of sailing with them.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ElmaLee said:

It would cost me $40/day + 20% to upgrade from Classic.  I'm prepared to sign a few bits of paper!  🙂

My point is that I doubt I'm saving any money on even the Classic package, so I might as well have no package and just pay for every drink as I go. 🙂  I get the package for convenience, and they just made it a lot less convenient.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Random Cruizer said:

My point is that I doubt I'm saving any money on even the Classic package, so I might as well have no package and just pay for every drink as I go. 🙂  I get the package for convenience, and they just made it a lot less convenient.

I agree.  I wouldn't buy any drinks package but it sometimes comes along as an offer, with WiFi and tips.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ElmaLee said:

Big sale on my upcoming cruise. They’re offering it at $1 off per day.  😄  Even if I were to get $4 upgrades on drinks, I’d have to have 11 drinks a day to make it worthwhile.  If I have 11 drinks a day, chances are that I won’t remember too much of my cruise.  In any case, most days are port days.  The drinks package upgrade is for suckers.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

This is a picture of what drinks and/or brands were included in both packages a while ago (not sure when). Does anybody know where to find a current one because it sounds like a lot of drinks/brands included in the Classic package today are no longer under the $10 limit. 

image.thumb.png.07b0643e1d717337f8fec917e2ba1d55.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Octavias said:

I was watching a you tuber and he mentioned that the value of drinks included in the classic package had gone from 12.00 down to 10.00.  Is this a new change?  

I probably just watched the same youtuber and Im surprised Celebrity is doing this. It has nothing to do with being in Europe. Bev packages used to make sense for us but not anymore at these prices.

• Like 2

Somehow I found this on the Celebrity website under compare packages. Looks almost the same as what it used to be. So in my mind no need to upgrade to premium package as I am very happy with Myers rum and all cocktails made with Myers. Good news is they all fall under $10 from what I can see. 

IMG_1408.thumb.png.c6ead1f23e4772aafcadb0d7cb0a629d.pngIMG_1407.thumb.png.f43f72e415dced6e52e167a91c1cf174.pngIMG_1406.thumb.png.dcc4141bc1608ce4e0a83adf512f3d9f.png

• Like 1

Does anyone know if I bought a premium water while on the Classic package if I still just pay the difference?  Also, just looked at a menu for the Ensemble Lounge on Equinox and there weren't any cocktails at $10.  All were $11 or more.  I can't believe Celebrity isn't raising their Classic Bev max. price.  Again, not a big deal to pay $1 or 2 more but a pain to sign the receipt.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NBliving said:

Does anyone know if I bought a premium water while on the Classic package if I still just pay the difference?  Also, just looked at a menu for the Ensemble Lounge on Equinox and there weren't any cocktails at $10.  All were $11 or more.  I can't believe Celebrity isn't raising their Classic Bev max. price.  Again, not a big deal to pay $1 or 2 more but a pain to sign the receipt.  

If Celebrity states they have a large number of classic cocktails made with spirits included under the classic package, they must surely do. Which ones did you see over $10? I bet they weren’t something like a classic rum punch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

This is a picture of what drinks and/or brands were included in both packages a while ago (not sure when). Does anybody know where to find a current one because it sounds like a lot of drinks/brands included in the Classic package today are no longer under the $10 limit. 

image.thumb.png.07b0643e1d717337f8fec917e2ba1d55.png

I suspect someone is confused or exaggerating.

8 minutes ago, NBliving said:

As always if you purchased a premium non alcoholic drink with the Classic package you will pay full price.  The paying the difference applies to alcoholic drinks only.

are you sure you are not looking at a menu that is for a European or Australian based cruise that show the added gratuity on the menus thus the Classic limit is $22 and not $10?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

If Celebrity states they have a large number of classic cocktails made with spirits included under the classic package, they must surely do. Which ones did you see over $10? I bet they weren’t something like a classic rum punch. 

I was looking only at the Ensemble menu on the app.  Looking at the Oceanview Bar outside the buffet, there is a Bloody Mary at $10, a Greyhound at $9 and a Screwdriver at $11. Quickly glancing through other bar's menus there are a few under $10 and I'm guessing if you ask the bartender to make one included on the Classic package they will figure something out.  

• Like 1

I have often seen folks cite the lack of slip signing as a contributing factor toward getting a pacakage.

So now, when a previously included drink is a dollar or two over the package limit, instead of noting your cabin number and package, then getting and bringing your drink, punching it into the computer when things are slow, they must wait for a terminal to ba available, wait for the slip to print, bring you the slip and have you sign it. 

This may take from a few seconds to a few minutes more. A few seconds is no big deal. A few minutes can be frustrating.

In the meantime, they may be serving fewer package drinks overall. A win for Celebrity. A win for livers. 😉 A loss for crew who have to deal with folks annoyed at delays and potentially less in spontaneous cash tips. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

Just to give you an example--a mudslide cost me an extra dollar.  Those are standard Applebees level frozen cocktails not some exotic concoction--should still be free with classic package.

• Like 2

I am hoping the type of so-called cocktails that I am used to having such as a rum punch, a pina colada, and a chi chi are still within the classic limit. If not, then I will get upset. Time will tell. At least my rum and coke or Pepsi are still within the limit. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

I am hoping the type of so-called cocktails that I am used to having such as a rum punch, a pina colada, and a chi chi are still within the classic limit. If not, then I will get upset. Time will tell. At least my rum and coke or Pepsi are still within the limit. 

Well, I just got off Equinox today. Neither DH nor I paid extra for anything. I had piña coladas, and a number of virgin drinks, if that helps...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

Drinks that can be made with the liquors on the Classic package are numerous.  Margaritas, manhattans. Mojitos, gin & tonic, vodka cranberry, pina colada, rum & coke, martinis ( reg size not the Martini bar ones), etc.  The key is the liquor used.  

The drink menus at the bars are the drinks that bar calls their specialty but not the only drinks they make.  Tell the bartender you have the Classic package or they will ask for your card and you tell what drink you want and they will make it with the liquor from the Classic package.  If you order a vodka & tonic on Classic package yours could be made with Abdolute or Tito’s while mine with the a premium package would be made with Ketel One or Grey Goose. 

Edited by jelayne
Typo
  • Like 2