Advice on Binoculars for Alaska Cruise

hrt4girls

We have finally booked the Alaska cruise that we have been wanting to take for 25 years.  I would like to purchase binoculars to take along.  I have no experience buying them.  The web searches that I have done suggest that we should have 8x30.  Looking on Amazon, there are so many choices, ranging from $20 to $300.  I am thinking that you get what you pay for at some degree.  We will  not be using them much after the cruise, so I don't want to overpay for something to sit on the shelf, but I want them to work on the cruise.  Does anyone have specific suggestions about what to buy?  My husband and I both wear glasses and I don't know if that affects how they will work for us.  Your advice would be appreciated.

I bought a pair of Canon IS 10x30 before our Alaska cruise and one of the best purchases I have ever made.  They are expensive.   However the image stabilization works fantastic.  It takes the shake away from the image and I can look through them for a long while without getting a headache from the normally shaking image.

Since the Alaska cruise, I use them for football games, other cruises, and have gotten more use than I had thought.

@hrt4girls:  Bird watching magazines have reviews of binoculars which may be handy.  Check your local library.  

But while reading reviews is helpful it is so important to actually hold binoculars in your hand before buying.  My husband is a birder so we have multiple pairs around the house.  His favorite is a Zeiss Victory HT 10 x 42.  He absolutely loves them by they don't fit well in my hands and I find them incredibly heavy.  My own favorite pair is a Nikkon.  Binoculars are not a "one size fits all" sort of product.  So head over to a local sporting goods store, talk to the personnel and start trying on binoculars.  

I have a pair of 10x42  compact binosfor ready use when walking hound on the beach. They are small and lightweight. My 'go to' pair was bought 40+ years ago. Nikon 7x50. These were bought for watchkeeping etc.

Very loose rule of thumb  ....divide the larger number by the smaller number and higher the result the better. Obviously depends on the optics etc.

I used to own a pair of ex WW2 ones .. excellent unit. 8 x 60 ... 

I ordered a pair of Vortex Diamondback 15x56 ($302 on Amazon) for our Alaska cruise next summer.  They're due to arrive in a week or so.  They may be a bit bigger/ heavier than I want to tote around, but Amazon's return policy is pretty good if I end up not liking them.  I have a pair of Bushnell 10x42, but I'd like something with a bit more magnification.  We'll see if the 15x56 fit the bill.

This is a link to a long article on eye-relief and how it relates to the fact that you wear glasses - https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/eye-relief-eyeglasses-binoculars-11/ 

Yet another one - https://www.birdwatching.com/optics/education/eye_relief.html.

Yes. The fact that you wear glasses does matter.

DON

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 7:41 AM, LEMJMcC said:

I ordered a pair of Vortex Diamondback 15x56 ($302 on Amazon) for our Alaska cruise next summer.  They're due to arrive in a week or so.  They may be a bit bigger/ heavier than I want to tote around, but Amazon's return policy is pretty good if I end up not liking them.  I have a pair of Bushnell 10x42, but I'd like something with a bit more magnification.  We'll see if the 15x56 fit the bill.

Are you sure about that?  Don't forget that at 15x it will be harder to hold them still.  Also your field of vision will probably be much more narrow. 

If you really feel that you must have 15x you might consider image stabilized binocs.  I don't own them and I have never thought about buying a pair (maybe a little but my wife would kill me) and they are expensive and they are heavy.  I did look through a pair of image stabilized binocs once on a cruise that image stabilization really works.

DON

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 6:41 AM, LEMJMcC said:

Just looked at the specs and they wouldn't be my choice of binoculars.

In addition to the high magnification, which is basically double the recommended magnification for use on ships, I have issues with:

- They have a very small Field of View - 230' at 1,000 yds, whereas your 10x42 Bushnels are 341'. The smaller FoV makes it way more difficult to locate small objects at a distance.

- Eye relief - if you wear glasses, the eye relief of 15.6 mm may be too low, which can cause loss of viewing at the edges.

- Weight - they are about 40% heavier than the 10x42. 

If you have a Wild Birds Unlimited store near you, they have a variety of binoculars specific to bird-watching and can help you figure out what's a good fit at your particular price point.  Enjoy!  I do not think you will regret packing binoculars to take with you, regardless of which ones you pick!

Before our Alaska cruise last August we purchased Nikon Aculon's at Best Buy. Can't remember the exact price but think they were around $30 each. They are 3.5" by 3.5" and very lightweight. They are 10X21 and don't take up much room. Comes with lens caps and a cloth bag. Work great.

On 8/12/2023 at 3:00 PM, donaldsc said:

Are you sure about that?  Don't forget that at 15x it will be harder to hold them still.  Also your field of vision will probably be much more narrow. 

If you really feel that you must have 15x you might consider image stabilized binocs.  I don't own them and I have never thought about buying a pair (maybe a little but my wife would kill me) and they are expensive and they are heavy.  I did look through a pair of image stabilized binocs once on a cruise that image stabilization really works.

DON

Nah, I am not sure.  But that's why I ordered them so far ahead of the cruise; I want to test them out an see if they're what I want.  It's pretty easy to return them if I don't like them and I have plenty of time to select another pair.

Thanks much for feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

This will depend on your budget, but there are a few things that may help: travel with compact binoculars: 8x32s are probably the best balance between size, power, and the shaking that an Alaskan boating excursion might force you into.
- Waterproof/fog proof because you don't want to worry about them in the rain or dunked in a lake. Fogproof so you don't end up in Alaska with fog inside your optics.

- 8X power (not 10X or higher because they cause too much shake).
- 32 MM Objectives let in enough light and are smaller/less bulky to carry.

In order of preference (and because I know people like to have options) but I wanted a good lifetime warranty and a cost that would not break the bank:

1. Vortex Diamondback HD 8X32 ~$260 
2. Celestron – TrailSeeker 8x32 ~$198 or Opticron Discovery WP PC 8x32 ~$200
3. Vortex Optics Crossfire 8x32 ~$140
4. NIKON PROSTAFF P3 8x30 ~$107

Better brands are Vortex, Nikon, Zeiss, Pentax, Vanguard, and Swarovski but they are well over $300 (up to a few thousand) per pair.
You get what you pay for. The higher cost is a higher quality build (tougher), better optics, and a brighter image. Heavier means more glass and metal and less plastic. It should also last you a lifetime of cruising.

If you have a bigger budget, I recommend anywhere between $300-600 which is the sweet spot for great quality and value--above that price range it becomes much harder to see the jump in clarity and brightness. Example: the Vortex Viper HD binoculars (below, discontinued) I have are my go-to pair for cruising. They were ~$550 and were wide-angle, under 21 ounces, and very compact. 

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions.

bin_viper-hd_32_left-t.webp

bin_viper-hd_32_front-t.webp

Note about 

On 8/13/2023 at 6:18 PM, Heidi13 said:

Just looked at the specs and they wouldn't be my choice of binoculars.

In addition to the high magnification, which is basically double the recommended magnification for use on ships, I have issues with:

- They have a very small Field of View - 230' at 1,000 yds, whereas your 10x42 Bushnels are 341'. The smaller FoV makes it way more difficult to locate small objects at a distance.

- Eye relief - if you wear glasses, the eye relief of 15.6 mm may be too low, which can cause loss of viewing at the edges.

- Weight - they are about 40% heavier than the 10x42. 

I agree with this. More power is not better and the stability will be negatively affected unless image stabilization is used. I have a Canon 12x36 Image Stabilized pair and I cannot get the image at 12X to steady without the stabilization.

For sightseeing/birding/wildlife watching, 8X is the maximum I would recommend. More light transmission (brighter with a larger exit pupil) and a wider field of view are all benefits.

These 15x56 binoculars are best used for stargazing with a tripod, will be heavy (34.8 oz/2.175 lbs), and will be very large for casual wildlife and scenery. Even the Vortex site says for these particular bins: "Note – Recommended for use with a tripod. Tripod adapter included."

What is your budget and use case? I can help with a recommendation if these don't work out for you.

On 8/22/2023 at 4:57 PM, TanTien said:

Note about 

I agree with this. More power is not better and the stability will be negatively affected unless image stabilization is used. I have a Canon 12x36 Image Stabilized pair and I cannot get the image at 12X to steady without the stabilization.

For sightseeing/birding/wildlife watching, 8X is the maximum I would recommend. More light transmission (brighter with a larger exit pupil) and a wider field of view are all benefits.

These 15x56 binoculars are best used for stargazing with a tripod, will be heavy (34.8 oz/2.175 lbs), and will be very large for casual wildlife and scenery. Even the Vortex site says for these particular bins: "Note – Recommended for use with a tripod. Tripod adapter included."

What is your budget and use case? I can help with a recommendation if these don't work out for you.

Well, I spent $330 on the Vortex Diamondback 15X56 binoculars.  I played around just a little with them last week, but will give them a good try when we go camping over Labor Day.  I have until 9/19 to return them.  Main use will viewing wildlife or landscape features from a distance.  I plan to take a monopod with me on the ship.  I have a pair of 10X42 Bushnell, but I'd like something with a bit more power.  I'll know more after camping in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Well, I spent $330 on the Vortex Diamondback 15X56 binoculars.  I played around just a little with them last week, but will give them a good try when we go camping over Labor Day.  I have until 9/19 to return them.  Main use will viewing wildlife or landscape features from a distance.  I plan to take a monopod with me on the ship.  I have a pair of 10X42 Bushnell, but I'd like something with a bit more power.  I'll know more after camping in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

I hope they work out for you and that you have a return window. In any case, they will be a quality set of binoculars. A monopod will definitely help with their weight. Let me know if you have any questions. 

17 hours ago, TanTien said:

I hope they work out for you and that you have a return window. In any case, they will be a quality set of binoculars. A monopod will definitely help with their weight. Let me know if you have any questions. 

I just ordered a pair of the Vortex Viper 10X42s to compare to the 15x56.  The 10X42 has the same dimensions as the Viper 8X42 and is 0.4 ounces heavier.  If she likes the 10X42, I may keep them for the wife.  If I like them, I may return the 15X56 and buy a second pair of the 10X42.

• Like 1

Nice! They should be great! 😊 The trade-off between optical power (10x vs 15x) will be apparent but this is what you gain at the lower power: Wider field of view (makes things easier to sight in and find), brighter image, much easier to hold for long periods, especially if you are tracking an animal or bird. Finally: the shake factor will be much reduced so your eyes don't need to jump around trying to follow the image. I have a pair of 10x42 Zen-Rays (now defunct, unfortunately) that I've brought on other cruises. These are "near-alpha" in quality and they are bigger/heavier than most of my other binoculars but also crystal clear and bright. I can better control the shaking because of their weight. So your Vortex Vipers should be excellent as well.
Vortex remains an excellent company and stands by its products. 

• 2 weeks later...

So we tested the Vortex Diamondback 15X56 and the Vortex Viper 10X42 binoculars over the weekend.  Then we stopped by a local outfitters and compared the Vortex Viper to a Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 - Zeiss hands down had the much brighter and clearer image.  So I returned both Vortex sets and ordered a pair of orange and black Zeiss Terra ED 10x42...why orange and black you ask? Because they were about $115 cheaper than the solid black or green models.  Plus my wife wants a pair of her of the same make/model, but wants the black or green; now we won't have to argue about which pair belongs to who!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Binoculars For Alaska Cruise | OptiviewFinder.com

1. NOCOEX 10x50 Binoculars for Cruise Ships

• These binoculars offer a powerful 10x magnification, perfect for spotting distant wildlife.
  • The 50mm objective lens ensures bright and clear views even in low light conditions.
  • Nitrogen-filled and waterproof, they can withstand the unpredictable Alaskan weather.
  • Ideal for whale watching and glacier gazing.

2. NIKON Monarch M7 10x42 Binoculars for Alaska Cruising

• Renowned for their optical quality, Nikon Monarch binoculars deliver crisp images.
  • Lightweight and ergonomic design for comfortable extended use.
  • ED glass elements reduce chromatic aberration, enhancing color accuracy.
  • Perfect for capturing the details of Alaskan wildlife.

3. Celestron Nature DX 8x42 Binoculars for Alaska Cruises

• These binoculars strike a balance between portability and performance.
  • Fully multi-coated lenses provide excellent light transmission.
  • Close focus distance allows you to observe nearby birds and flora.
  • Great for birdwatching during shore excursions.

4. Vortex 8x42 Travel Binoculars for Alaska Cruises

• Vortex optics are known for their durability and clarity.
  • Phase-corrected prisms ensure sharp images.
  • Rubber-armored construction for a secure grip, even in wet conditions.
  • A versatile choice for all-around use.

5. Bushnell H2O 8x42 Binoculars for Cruising

• Waterproof and fog-proof, these binoculars can handle misty Alaskan mornings.
  • BaK-4 prisms and multi-coated optics deliver bright and vivid views.
  • Twist-up eyecups accommodate eyeglass wearers.
  • Excellent value for the price.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:41 AM, LEMJMcC said:

I prefer my 8x42 Nikons and would never go higher than 10x.  The rocking on the boat and vibrations on smaller boats makes anything bigger almost impossible to focus.

13 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I prefer my 8x42 Nikons and would never go higher than 10x.  The rocking on the boat and vibrations on smaller boats makes anything bigger almost impossible to focus.

Yah, I returned the Vortex 15x56...I replaced them with a pair of Zeiss 10x42 with a nice compact frame.