New dress code on the Silver Nova!!

A Tucson Guy

Sweet pea,

Your comments have certainly gotten my attention. I am one of Silversea’s loyal fossils as I have been an avid patron since 1998. No surprise….I am terribly sorry that the dress codes are changing. I am afraid that the SS special party atmosphere will be lost. The festive formality was always a draw for us and our children, in their early 40s and fifties, also love dressing up. Originally we lived on a Virginia farm and now live on an island in SW Florida. Our usual dress is very casual so dressing up on cruises to Mumbai, Buenos Aires, Bangkok and Stockholm etc, is FUN!

ps. My husband and I went carry on at least 50% of the time….sequins and tuxes with no problems at all! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Anyway, now it seems the tables have turned.  Those who preferred a more relaxed attire were told by the old guard to just choose another line.  Looks like you’re doing the same now that the suggested attire is no longer strictly formal.

Exactly!  I was driven off this forum because of my opposition to the old dress code.  Now I'm back, and I see that the shoe is on the other foot.  Karma!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Exactly!  I was driven off this forum because of my opposition to the old dress code.  Now I'm back, and I see that the shoe is on the other foot.  Karma!

Is it permitted that a moderator gloat? 😏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

What I believe @Sweetpea711423 is doing her best to express is that, for her, attire is one of many factors that impact the overall ambience of dining.  When we dress for dinner, we do so understanding that we are a contributing factor to others' perception of that ambience, and try to make a point of dressing in a manner appropriate to the venue out of respect for the house and other diners. 

This perfectly expresses what I was trying to say.  Very well said.

Time are changing, and the new more flexible dress code on the Nova is the future and will work its way over to the other classic ships; part of the problem is that Expedition already dropped the dress code and this is confusing passengers.  You can still dress for dinner if you like; with more and larger ships to fill up on a weekly basis at higher prices, this an an understandable marketing move.  We may not like it, but Silversea can no longer afford to "lose potential passengers" because said individuals find traditional dress codes objectionable.

Silversea does say that jackets will be required for men on Formal Optional nights (Resort Casual plus jacket) which should help....you will not get the Regent affect of the dining rooms looking like the 19th hole at the country club each and every evening.  I can live with this compromise: it is when one group is wearing tank tops and shorts to dinner while other want to dress that it becomes problematic and creates conflict.  We have all witnessed the ""sir, you need to wear a tie to dinner this evening - its a formal night " discussions at Atlantide and that argument is a loser and needless.

IMPORTANT QUESTION - so what is the story at La Dame, which on the Nova was supposed to be Formal evening night, now what??  Is La Dame Formal Optional every night, will it follow the standard dress code (as it does on other ships) or something else?  I know that I am confused.

2 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Per the email sent specific to Nova:

Gentlemen dining at La Dame are required to wear a jacket.

Here is the email explaining the new dress code. There us no mention of La Dame in the email. If you have something else, please share.

Your Nova journey into a world of elegance and comfort at sea is about to begin. You may be wondering what to wear and how best to pack, so I am delighted to provide this summary of our new dress code exclusive to our newest ship, Silver Nova.

Based on the valuable feedback and opinions of our guests, we have taken a significant step towards enhancing your experience with us by introducing this new guide on what to wear. Our dress code has been carefully crafted to strike a perfect balance between elegance and flexibility, ensuring you feel at ease and ensuring we adhere to the elevated standards you expect from Silversea.

The dress code onboard Silver Nova is as follows:

http://i.email.silversea.com/wpm/1035/Campaigns/CONTENT_BLOCKS/New_Template/Icons/dark-gray-bullet.png

Daytime Attire: Casual wear, similar to five-star resort sportswear, is suitable for daytime activities. Flat or low-heeled shoes are recommended when on deck.

http://i.email.silversea.com/wpm/1035/Campaigns/CONTENT_BLOCKS/New_Template/Icons/dark-gray-bullet.png

Evening Attire (Starting from 6 pm):

http://i.email.silversea.com/wpm/1035/Campaigns/Place_holders/link-icon.png

Elegant Casual: On casual evenings, ladies may opt for trousers, blouses, skirts, or casual dresses, while gentlemen can wear open-collar shirts and slacks. A jacket is optional.

http://i.email.silversea.com/wpm/1035/Campaigns/Place_holders/link-icon.png

Formal Optional: For those who prefer more formal attire, ladies can choose an evening gown or cocktail dress, while gentlemen can opt for a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit with a tie. Alternatively, adhering to Elegant Casual dress code is welcomed but a jacket is still required for gentlemen in all indoor spaces.

The number of formal evenings will vary, depending on the voyage length:

7 days or less: Elegant Casual nights throughout.

8-14 days: Expect 1 to 2 Formal Optional nights.

15 days or more: Enjoy 2 or more Formal Optional nights.

For more information on preparing for your upcoming voyage, please consult our Setting Sail Guide

We are committed to providing an exceptional experience for each of our guests, and hope this update will enhance your journey with us. We eagerly anticipate your arrival and look forward to creating lasting memories with you, as we set sail to explore some of the world's most captivating destinations.

Warmest regards,

29 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

My Bad as I just found this-

• Gentlemen dining at La Dame restaurants are required to wear a jacket.

Yes-if you click the hyperlink ‘Read more’ in the email, there is additional detail under What to Pack n page 7.

4 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We probably prefer the new dress code just because I don't have to wear a jacket every night.  We do hope this is the floor for dress acceptability and its strictly enforced.   If the dress code slips (either designated or enforced)  to jeans and shorts we're out.

Jackets were never required on Causal Evenings onboard under the Classic Dresscode.  The first and last night were always casual, as well several evenings during the cruise including nights when the ship would overnight in a port of call.

I agree...if Elegant Casual slips to jeans and shorts then we have a problem.

5 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

I absolutely agree with this post.  

Let me start by saying that I am one of those who enjoy dressing up.  To me it’s part of the fun of a cruise, and what makes it different from everyday life.  I’ve been sailing Silversea for many years, and early on I also sailed on Regent.  When Regent changed to “casual dress” for evenings (as well as including excursions), I no longer sailed them.  The only other line I regularly sailed was Cunard in Queen’s Grill on Queen Mary 2 for transatlantic crossings (even more “formal” than Silversea was).  

Silversea has already modified its evening dress code towards more “casual” in a way that I wasn’t that happy about, but at least it still had “Informal” between Casual and Formal.  While not optimal for me, it was OK during the 4 Silversea cruises I took over the past year.  Now the Informal seems to be disappearing.  With Silversea now also including excursions (which I would prefer it not do), there is no longer a reason for me to choose Silversea over Regent – I will look to itinerary and price, since I think that the Regent product is likely to be pretty comparable.

I should also add that my husband and I are booked (and paid in full) on the Nova cruise over Christmas and New Year’s.  Since that cruise was booked and paid for, Silversea has apparently changed the dress code on that ship in a way that I am unhappy with.  I really don’t think that’s right.  When it announces this kind of change it should be in advance of the availability of booking for the relevant ship/cruises.  An important motivator for me booking this cruise was the dress code.  I’m not saying that I would necessarily have decided not to book the cruise, but it certainly would have given me pause and I would have considered other options for the holiday period.

This actually seems hard to believe. I can’t imagine that you would let your joy of dressing up on SS be “ruined” by the person next to you wearing a jacket and no tie. SMH

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Same with me. I was constantly told “why is so hard to follow the rules” and “if you don’t like it pick another line” and finally, when I asked if there is a restaurant where you can go with no jacket on formal night some one said “room

service”.

Now that things are more inclusive, while still encouraging personal choice to dress up or not, the pearl clutchers and others are finally showing their true motivation. It was never about “live and let live” is was always about everyone having to do the same old fashioned routine. I’m thrilled and will only book the newer ships as a result and make sure to always share my joy in the new, more inclusive code. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

This actually seems hard to believe. I can’t imagine that you would let your joy of dressing up on SS be “ruined” by the person next to you wearing a jacket and no tie. SMH

This is a somewhat demeaning way of expressing your view about the situation.  Obviously we feel differently about the change, but I don't think you should minimize how other people might feel about it.  SMH indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We probably prefer the new dress code just because I don't have to wear a jacket every night.  We do hope this is the floor for dress acceptability and its strictly enforced. 

I also welcome the new dress code, largely for the reason you specify.

I think that enforcement is an issue and that it is unfair to ask crew to be the dress police.  I particularly regret the many instances when guests will arrive in a venue like Panorama at 5:45 in their shorts and T-shirts and remain there with cocktails for, say, an hour. 

Could the CD perhaps make a brief announcement in all public areas at, say, 6:15 PM reminding people of the evening dress code and that it is now in effect?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

.. the pearl clutchers and others are finally showing their true motivation. It was never about “live and let live” is was always about everyone having to do the same old fashioned routine.

@Sweetpea711423  Noted your comment that "This is a somewhat demeaning way of expressing your view about the situation."  Agreed.  I found that "pearl clutchers" expression rather demeaning as well. 

And no, it certainly never was about "live and let live", at least not for us, else the entire conversation would be moot. 

@tinaincc  Surely you've got your own boundaries with regard to restaurant dinner attire as well, perhaps just not quite the same as ours.  So where does "live and let live" come into play?  Now I'm confused.

Edited by canderson
typoz

35 minutes ago, canderson said:

@Sweetpea711423  Noted your comment that "This is a somewhat demeaning way of expressing your view about the situation."  Agreed.  I found that "pearl clutchers" expression rather demeaning as well. 

And no, it certainly never was about "live and let live", at least not for us, else the entire conversation would be moot. 

@tinaincc  Surely you've got your own boundaries with regard to restaurant dinner attire as well, perhaps just not quite the same as ours.  So where does "live and let live" come into play?  Now I'm confused.

OK, but now we have a new rule—-like others before the rule change told everyone follow the rules, well I guess it’s time for those people to follow the rules.  You can’t have it your way all the time.  like to told others you can choose another cruise if this makes you unhappy—-same goes for those……It’s time to let go, and move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, canderson said:

My boundaries for dinner attire is the stated dress code. I do enjoy seeing others in fancy attire but it in no way impacts my trip. 
It’s hard for me to believe that someone would stop sailing SS based on this change. It seems a lot of dramatic language when nothing has changed about the ability to dress up. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Observer said:

I also welcome the new dress code, largely for the reason you specify.

I think that enforcement is an issue and that it is unfair to ask crew to be the dress police.  I particularly regret the many instances when guests will arrive in a venue like Panorama at 5:45 in their shorts and T-shirts and remain there with cocktails for, say, an hour. 

Could the CD perhaps make a brief announcement in all public areas at, say, 6:15 PM reminding people of the evening dress code and that it is now in effect?

I strongly object people wearing shorts and t-shirts after 6pm, but theoretically, people can do now as well. They can dine in the Grill, not to go to more formal restaurants etc. I have seen someone wearing shorts in the Venetian lounge on the formal night.

14 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

My boundaries for dinner attire is the stated dress code. I do enjoy seeing others in fancy attire but it in no way impacts my trip. 
It’s hard for me to believe that someone would stop sailing SS based on this change. It seems a lot of dramatic language when nothing has changed about the ability to dress up. 

Agree 100%. But it will attract new cruisers. I know some people who won't go back to SS because of the dress code (including few on CC). And people who want to dress up can still continue doing it.

• Like 1

For those that are objecting to the attire on Nova and are already booked: I'm sure they will waive the cancellation policy if you explain your rationale.

For those of us not stuck in the 1800s, having more flexibility in the dress code is better.

My husband and I were dreading having to pack a suit each for going to Alaska on the Nova, hell, we don't even have suits that fit us anymore. We have not worn suits in years, except for when we go to Acquerello (which is a 2* Michelin in San Francisco, and even they have lowered the dress code post COVID so a suit is no longer mandatory). From where we live and stand: requiring suits is antiquated. Why require folks to be uncomfortable? Allow them to wear what they want, and enjoy your own table.

Everyone should be free to be comfortable. Your comfort should not require forcing others to do as you want (in this case, wear suits). If it was up to me: jackets would not be required either.

The above example about a truck stop is flawed logic. These are tastefully decorated restaurants, with well dressed staff that has artfully plated food. It will now just have folks dressed more casually. Everything else remains the same. A truck stop is grungy, with decor falling apart, and food that is often generous to call food.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

The above example about a truck stop is flawed logic. These are tastefully decorated restaurants, with well dressed staff that has artfully plated food. It will now just have folks dressed more casually. Everything else remains the same. A truck stop is grungy, with decor falling apart, and food that is often generous to call food.

There's a difference between an analogy and a parallel, but...

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I strongly object people wearing shorts and t-shirts after 6pm, but theoretically, people can do now as well.

Not only theoretically. Actually. My post was prompted by seeing such conduct, especially over the past few years.