Bringing nutritional drinks/bars on board

2kruzers

My dd, age 16, recently lost weight due to some health issues. Her doctor has her drinking 2 nutritional shakes a day with a protein bar (all prepackaged). I am hoping with a doctor's note I would be able to bring this on board to keep in our cabin. We are sailing at the end of August. Any experience or advice on how to handle this? Thanks.

9 minutes ago, 2kruzers said:

My dd, age 16, recently lost weight due to some health issues. Her doctor has her drinking 2 nutritional shakes a day with a protein bar (all prepackaged). I am hoping with a doctor's note I would be able to bring this on board to keep in our cabin. We are sailing at the end of August. Any experience or advice on how to handle this? Thanks.

Try this:

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising#medical-needs

• Like 2

You might need to call the Dedicated Access Coordinators at 866-584-9756 if your sailing is coming up within 45 days (which it seems to be). Scan that doctor's note into a computer or something, because you may have to get it to them via email. If you can't do this, ask the doctor if there is a powder form for the shake. The protein bars will most likely be allowed on, but any liquid will not be. 

• Like 1

You will have no issues with the packaged bars, but you need permission to bring the drinks. As others have mentioned, contact the Access Desk. You can call or fill out a form (this seems to take a while). You may also be able to have your PCC (if you have one) take care of this.

We brought sugar-free Gatorade on board on our last cruise. The only issue is that you have to carry it on and that can be a bit of a pain. We have done it for other cruises as well and while we are sometimes stopped at security, it has never been a big issue.

• Like 1