Boarding times

roberts2005

2 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

I thought boarding times used to be the category you were booked in.   I was surprised today by being able to book an 11:30 boarding time as I am only in a cocierege cabin.

is this a permanent change?

It's been that way since Dec. 2021. I've been able to choose from 11 am to sometime in the afternoon...can't remember if it was in 30 or 15 minute increments.

Though I will point out that your onboard experience may be far more serene if you plan to arrive a bit later, we aim towards 2:00.  Last two sailings we went from the curb to our cabin in something less than 20 minutes including the mandatory stop at our muster station.  Piece of cake.

3 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

I thought boarding times used to be the category you were booked in.   I was surprised today by being able to book an 11:30 boarding time as I am only in a cocierege cabin.

Newbie here (1 cruise), but on Regatta last March, 11am was avail to all, but then there were 4 boarding lanes: Best suites, penthouse suites, concierge, and then "steerage".  No lane moved until their betters had been boarded.  Cabin availability once aboard was called by category, too.

Three points:

1.  We have been on recent cruises where less than half of the cruisers boarded with us. Everyone else was on extended Journeys and already aboard. So boarding time doesn’t mean as much as when 90+ % of the ship is turning over.

2.  Notwithstanding any marketing propaganda, Oceania has dropped all pretense of boarding priority by cabin class.

3. We still choose to board 3:00 or so. Nice leisurely lunch in town, cabin ready upon boarding and no waiting, baggage quickly delivered to cabin. 

• Like 1

I haven't cruised in quite a while - wasn't aware you need to reserve a time. I'm arriving early in Hong Kong and plan to spend most of the embarkation day sightseeing. Do you have to come at 11:00 if they don't depart until later in the day?

20 minutes ago, calvin81 said:

I haven't cruised in quite a while - wasn't aware you need to reserve a time. I'm arriving early in Hong Kong and plan to spend most of the embarkation day sightseeing. Do you have to come at 11:00 if they don't depart until later in the day?

The system is now goofy, and a product of O’s poor IT department. Sometimes, only 11:00 or so is shown for Embarkment. We register, yet board when we pleased almost always later.

My post above details the difference in scenarios.

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

Just completed online check-in for our cruise later this month and only 11-11:30 was posted to check off - no choice.  Same as last year's cruise. 

I checked in for Vista Transalantic today around 2 and there were only times from noon on.  In A2 cabin.  Know from experience that suites are released from top category down.  Oceania provides early lunch in Terrace Cafe until all rooms are ready.

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

2.  Notwithstanding any marketing propaganda, Oceania has dropped all pretense of boarding priority by cabin class.

Changed since March?  Or did you mean "boarding times" instead of "boarding priority"?

Back in March while Deck 3 folks could and did show up at 11am, pax were lined up and boarded cabin class by cabin class, with tail-end-Charlie aboard by 11:20-ish.

5 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Changed since March?  Or did you mean "boarding times" instead of "boarding priority"?

Back in March while Deck 3 folks could and did show up at 11am, pax were lined up and boarded cabin class by cabin class, with tail-end-Charlie aboard by 11:20-ish.

Pre Covid, PH and above were given 11:00 boarding times. Concierge Class received 12:00, and everyone below received 13:00 boarding times.

Since Covid, boarding times have been assigned on a first come basis during the electronic check in. As mentioned above, for some cruises everyone is just given an 11:00 check-in. Some ports do require that check in times be spaced out for terminal crowd control.

Historically, a majority of O cruisers ignored their assigned time and just showed up at 11:00 or even well before. This often created Boardamania at the dock/terminal. Some ports wouldn’t allow guests into the terminal area until they’re assigned time. They were forced to wait outside the terminal area until their assigned time . We encountered this in Buenos Aires in late February. We arrived at our chosen/assigned time and waltzed , into the boarding area, past a long line waiting to get in that had arrived early. Some of European ports, such as Athens, have long followed this procedure even before Covid.

Hope that explains it.

As has been mentioned, boarding times are no longer assigned based on cabin category.  However there is a separate (usually shorter) line for PH suites and above after you check in with the port authority.

This is what they did in Lisbon last year. I'll see what they do in Barcelona in a few weeks.

7 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Pre Covid, PH and above were given 11:00 boarding times. Concierge Class received 12:00, and everyone below received 13:00 boarding times.

Since Covid, boarding times have been assigned on a first come basis during the electronic check in. As mentioned above, for some cruises everyone is just given an 11:00 check-in. Some ports do require that check in times be spaced out for terminal crowd control.

Hope that explains it.

Summarizing: "boarding times" are a thing of the past at many (most?) ports, but "boarding priority" remains.  Had me wondering.  Thanks.

We thought that that protocol worked well back in March at Pier 92 [sic], L.A. with Regatta.  We'll see if that's true with Miami and Vista next March.

1 minute ago, sunlover12 said:

As has been mentioned, boarding times are no longer assigned based on cabin category.  However there is a separate (usually shorter) line for PH suites and above after you check in with the port authority.

This is what they did in Lisbon last year. I'll see what they do in Barcelona in a few weeks.

Pier 92, LA had 4 lines: Top suites, PH, Concierge, and "the hoi polloi".

2 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Summarizing: "boarding times" are a thing of the past at many (most?) ports, but "boarding priority" remains.  Had me wondering.  Thanks.

We thought that that protocol worked well back in March at Pier 92 [sic], L.A. with Regatta.  We'll see if that's true with Miami and Vista next March.

Depending upon the terminal, not even boarding priority may exist. There may be a separate line for Suites and other cabins, which might be shorter, but both lines are operating at the same time.

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Depending upon the terminal, not even boarding priority may exist. There may be a separate line for Suites and other cabins, which might be shorter, but both lines are operating at the same time.

I saw an unusual sample then: no one from line #2 (PH) served until last person in line #1 (top suites) served.

As I said, *that* system worked well for an R-class ship.  No muss, no fuss, done and dusted quickly.

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

I saw an unusual sample then: no one from line #2 (PH) served until last person in line #1 (top suites) served.

As I said, *that* system worked well for an R-class ship.  No muss, no fuss, done and dusted quickly.

Here's what doesn't work. One of the Oceania club perks for Platinum and up is Priority Terminal Check in. I've never seen a line for this. I just get in the Suite line and if anyone questions me I tell them I have Priority Terminal Check in. I actually asked one of the workers once where the line was for that and she took me to the suite line. Noticed later this person was the Social Hostess. 

If you ask and the person is not aware of that perk they will ask what room you are in and send you to the corresponding line. Perks should be honored, otherwise what's the point of them. 

• Like 2

There was a LONG line for security (which was pre-checkin) in Copenhagen a few weeks ago.  We made friends with the folks in front and behind us in line.  Once through security, there were separate lines for check-in, by cabin category.  Despite the lines, we were on board and sipping a cocktail at Waves Grill by noon and in our cabin (with luggage) by 1.  I love having the afternoon to unpack and get organized!

I was surprised to be offered an 11.30 check in time and it turned out to be perfect given our early morning arrival.  We went straight through security, but were then split into lines according to category.  We'd checked in online and sent in photographs so our own progress, like most others,  once at the head of the line was quick, although one couple ahead of us brought the line to a standstill for a while and seemed to need several members of staff.  We didn't have our photos taken again, thank goodness.

Once on board we went straight to The Terrace for lunch and were called to our stateroom according to category.

We usually fly in early and stay ashore for a day or two.  In those circumstances we turn up in the afternoon.