Covid Alive And Well

pamps2801

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

To tell or not to tell.

That could indeed be a problem with Covid.

Tell: Go to the Medical Center. If you test positive they will isolate you and all your meals - including from MDR - will be delivered. Your drink orders will be delivered for free. You will receive FCC for every day you are isolated. Also receive medication.

Not tell: Stay mostly in your cabin. Go out to get food and then go back right away or order Room Service. Possibly infect others. Get no medication. Possibly end up much more ill than if using the "Tell" option and getting medication. No MDR food. Pay for your drinks.

Best to choose the "Tell" option. I have absolutely zero desire to be isolated but it seems the right thing to do.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I were on Sky Princess to Norway/Denmark (July 1st - 8th), we both tested positive for Covid a few days after we got back. Nothing too serious symptoms wise however. Whether we picked it up on the ship or whilst on-shore is unknown.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Me:  Many, many, many, lots of cruises but I was reluctant to ever use Medical Center services up until this last cruise.

I was pleasantly surprised:

Not that expensive / reimbursement from insurance...that will be the most painful

Well equipped "hospital"

Fabulous Staff (Dr. Kristof Lim was a hoot)

Credit for isolation

Princess really showed support for my issue

Hope @pamps2801 chimes back in.

You did the right thing - bringing your own Paxlovid (I suspect many do this, as we do too) and alerting the Medical Center.

@pamps2801 wondering if your brother alerted medical staff and what they were prescribed?  If they did not alert staff, how did housekeeping come in to clean a room with someone having full blown Covid?  If they didn't thought housekeeping needed to alert someone they don't have access to a room.  We were on the Royal in 2019, and a passenger was refusing housekeeping for 3 days as a DND sign was on the entire time, we came upon several officers in our hallway with security making entry to the room and lots of yelling. This was probably a year or so after the Mandalay Bay massacre, where there were concerns about guests refusing housekeeping. Ships have different rules, of course, but anyone in hospitality management was well aware of the massacre. If they truly did isolate, how did they get meals, etc?

• Like 1

This is a great reminder to all of us that Covid hasn’t gone away. We have been on 10 cruises since the restart and haven’t caught it on a ship yet. DH did catch a nasty respiratory virus while travelling in London before one of our cruises tho. We caught Covid last summer while at home and still not sure how.

I think our general cruising habits help, as we tend to keep to ourselves and avoid crowded areas like the Piazza and buffet. We also use the stairs exclusively. Less guilt for the desserts.
We leave Monday for a 19 day cruise and I guess I’ll be packing a few of those N95s that I thought I no longer needed for crowded times. Sigh.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I think our general cruising habits help, as we tend to keep to ourselves and avoid crowded areas like the Piazza and buffet. We also use the stairs exclusively

I was a dental hygienist for 32 years and I am very aware of washing my hands, not touching my face, etc, very, very aware. We wore N95 when ever around others, ate outside or on our balcony, etc. 

On our 30 day last September, I will even be bold enough to say that I was literally one of the best "covid avoiders" on board.  But, our whole hall had tables about a week before the cruise ended(notes from the captain saying about high covid rates, etc) and I did put up a sign for the room steward not to enter (they still did unfortunately) and I think that is how we got covid on the last day of the cruise.  It was so hard to think we had literally done everything possible and still got covid. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Level six said:

I was a dental hygienist for 32 years and I am very aware of washing my hands, not touching my face, etc, very, very aware. We wore N95 when ever around others, ate outside or on our balcony, etc. 

On our 30 day last September, I will even be bold enough to say that I was literally one of the best "covid avoiders" on board.  But, our whole hall had tables about a week before the cruise ended(notes from the captain saying about high covid rates, etc) and I did put up a sign for the room steward not to enter (they still did unfortunately) and I think that is how we got covid on the last day of the cruise.  It was so hard to think we had literally done everything possible and still got covid. 

With so much covid all around you, it was probably impossible to avoid it.  We just do our best, that’s all you can do,

• Like 5

On our upcoming cruises when we utilize the buffet we will, as always, wash our hands in the cabin and wash our hands at the buffet hand washing station. Additionally, after serving ourselves and selecting a table one of us will sit with the plates while the other goes back to the hand washing station again and then we will swap so that we both have the "after serving" wash. A pain in the neck but much less hassle than Covid. With 63 days on the ship we will have far too many chances to become infected.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

To tell or not to tell.

That could indeed be a problem with Covid.

I tested positive at around 9:45pm the evening before disembarkation after testing negative the four prior nights. We brought 5 kits (10 tests) from home and had used them all, including in the hotel room the morning of embarkation.  

I immediately phoned Guest Services to see how they wanted to handle my disembarkation. I never for a moment believed they were going to move me anywhere at that point.  My luggage was already gone. I received a call back about 45 minutes later. I was told to mask up and disembark as planned. I had worn an N95 on my flight to Vancouver and had another one for my flight home, so that wasn’t an issue. I was also asymptomatic except for some congestion and fatigue. 

The next morning I asked our cabin steward if he had been notified that I was positive. He said he had not. But I made him aware of it in case he wanted to see about someone else cleaning our cabin. We went to breakfast in Sabatini’s where we were the only ones in there. We had the food served to the next table and then picked it up and brought it to our table. I told the waitstaff I had tested positive. They seemed fairly unconcerned about themselves, more about me. 

I think you always have to tell. And maybe it was the timing of my positive test result and the fact that I was getting off the ship less than 12 hours later, but I didn’t see any concern at all on the part of ship personnel. It’s obvious they realize that COVID is everywhere and that there are far more people who are unaware that they even have it than those who have tested positive.

And as someone who does have higher medical risks, I also believe that, if you cruise, you have to assume you’re going to get it.  All the preventive measures in the world may still not keep you safe. I always masked (KN95) in the Princess Theater, we never went to the shows the last five nights or so and we always ate alone. I really thought on a ship as uncrowded as the Sapphire that I stood a reasonable chance of going unscathed, but I didn’t. Saying that, I traveled with Paxlovid, started taking it immediately and already tested negative yesterday morning. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

To add to your insightful comments, I would add some sick and how sick questions.  Maybe a cruiser decision tree is needed.  As a member of the vaccinated community, I would hesitate to report to sick bay with only minor symptoms that I can treat symptomatically with OTC medications in my travel kit. For example:

Sick, but feel overall ok?  Feels like a cold or a minor case of the flu?

Vaccinated - treat symptomatically and maybe mask up. Enjoy your cruise.

Not vaccinated - if it feels like the flu, get to sick bay, get tested, and get some paxlovid immediately.  Get  quarantined and stay away from the rest of us   Enjoy your cruise.

I guess I qualify as vaccinated, but I haven't had any boosters and my last shot was May 2021.  I have not caught Covid, yet.  It seems like everyone that I hear about catching it, including those here in this thread, have been vaccinated, many multiple times.  I really don't think that the steps should be any different.  If you feel sick, test.  If you have Covid, report it and isolate, just as I hope you would if you have noro or influenza.  Even if you test negative, you have SOMETHING, and it doesn't need to be shared.  Stay in your cabin, if possible, until you are well.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Level six said:

I am also retired from the dental field. Those habits stay with you. I also wonder about the stewards entering the cabin. We always do a Lysol swab of all the high tough surfaces, but then the steward is entering our stateroom daily and unlike us, probably not washing hands each time. 
We can only be sensible and then cross our fingers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Tell: Go to the Medical Center. If you test positive they will isolate you and all your meals - including from MDR - will be delivered. Your drink orders will be delivered for free. You will receive FCC for every day you are isolated. Also receive medication.

Not tell: Stay mostly in your cabin. Go out to get food and then go back right away or order Room Service. Possibly infect others. Get no medication. Possibly end up much more ill than if using the "Tell" option and getting medication. No MDR food. Pay for your drinks.

Best to choose the "Tell" option. I have absolutely zero desire to be isolated but it seems the right thing to do.

Don’t forget about the health and safety of the steward who usually enters the cabin twice a day regarding those Not tell guests. The sad thing is they can’t tell the steward they’ve “privately” tested positive because the steward would then tell his supervisor …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started looking at wipes and sanitizer but it seems everything is scented. No, no, no! Why does everything have to have some stupid scent added? Scented products give me massive headaches. (I wish they would toss overboard the people who douse themselves with the $1.50/gallon perfume. Most of it smells like Raid bug killer and it leaves huge clouds of poison in the air. They tend to find where I am in the theater and then sit directly in front of me or directly behind me.)

Any suggestions for wipes to clean the cabin and sanitizer (in small bottles that could fit in a pocket) that aren't scented?

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Any suggestions for wipes to clean the cabin and sanitizer (in small bottles that could fit in a pocket) that aren't scented?

Alcohol and paper towels?  Not pocket sized but effective. I would suggest Everclear, but that would probably get confiscated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Perhaps try these unscented products online

IMG_4004.thumb.png.a5d39cafb7c6c5dcb9f2219318ac2139.pngIMG_4005.thumb.jpeg.dcf317719342dbed1e9b3fe0fe96722e.jpeg

• Like 2

I use alcohol 70%.  Remember those wonderful sleep mist sprays they used to give to Elite?  Good size bottle for traveling.  I've actually gone out and bought a $2 bottle of something to get the right sized bottle.  That's what my doctor uses.  Good enough for me.  Handy and accessible on the plane, at a table, etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Not quite right, Thrak. Do NOT go to the Medical Center as you may put others at risk of catching it. Phone them and they will come to you, test you, and provide medical care as needed. But it is very important to advise the Medical Centre of any typical Covid symptoms.

I had Covid on Coral Princess last year and they were wonderful. 

It's a shame that too many people have not learnt anything from the pandemic. Wandering around the closed environment of a cruise ship, unmasked and coughing and/or sneezing, is the height of selfish entitlement IMHO.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

I am also retired from the dental field. Those habits stay with you. I also wonder about the stewards entering the cabin. We always do a Lysol swab of all the high tough surfaces, but then the steward is entering our stateroom daily and unlike us, probably not washing hands each time. 
We can only be sensible and then cross our fingers. 

We were cleaning our room like crazy every time after the steward was in there, everything got wiped.  But, our "main" steward disappeared about a week before the end of the cruise, about day 20-23 (when all the tables appeared and the captains letter was sent out.  I am sure she had  covid.  And the replacement had really bad hygiene procedures.  She would empty trash with gloves on, never change the gloves and then put ice in the bucket with the same dirty clothes from someone elses trash!!!.  It was very bad, so that is why I put do not disturb, but she would still enter the room.  So I made a sign that said do not enter and spoke with her that we just wanted our privacy.  She still would come in.  Anyway, like you said, just do the best we can and cross our fingers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

On our upcoming cruises when we utilize the buffet we will, as always, wash our hands in the cabin and wash our hands at the buffet hand washing station. Additionally, after serving ourselves and selecting a table one of us will sit with the plates while the other goes back to the hand washing station again and then we will swap so that we both have the "after serving" wash. A pain in the neck but much less hassle than Covid. With 63 days on the ship we will have far too many chances to become infected.

Sounds like a good plan, and sensible.  You have to take steps to protect yourself and you can't depend on others to do the right thing to keep you safe.  Treat every surface as if it's contaminated and break the chain of cross contamination.  

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 6:53 PM, pamps2801 said:

We were on the Majestic Princess for a back 2 back starting July 22nd. First week was great, then the first day of the second week, was when symptoms for my brother and his wife started. They both isolated themselves in their room for the remainder of the cruise. My brothers case wasn't good, he barely made it, walking off the ship in Vancouver. We drove him immediately to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with a Covid Pneumonia, he had a lot of difficulty breathing at this point. He has had 5 covid inoculations, the last one being a month prior to the cruise. He stayed in the hospital for 5 days, having antibiotics pumped into him before his release. After his release, he was and is very weak. The Dr has given him the ok to fly back home, and wrote a letter to this, for the airline, if required. His memory is at times forgetful. Lost his sense of smell and taste, which hasn't come back. His coughing is harsh. Now taking 7 pills daily. His wifes condition was very mild. As for my wife and I, we did not catch Covid.

My point here is, always take the proper precautions, or you may encounter the same consequence. Don't fool yourselves in thinking it won't happen to you. I personally feel, that the worst place to catch Covid on a ship, is the elevator. In such tight quarters I wear a mask, and I do not start any conversation. I never touch any elevator buttons with my fingers. I use my knuckle, elbow, or even my knee. I also feel that its absolutely ridiculous for cruise lines to have a serve yourself philosophy in the buffet. Many passengers never sanitize, or wash their hands, and then use the serving utensils, of which you use right after them. Honestly, I feel this is disgusting. We carry a small bottle of Purell and sanitize our hands before eating at the table, if we're in the buffet....... Cruise Safely.

How does one bring their own Paxloid?  Isn’t that a prescription drug?

Referring to post #7

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

How does one bring their own Paxloid?  Isn’t that a prescription drug ?

It is a RX.  But, some pharmacies can dispense without a RX from your Dr.  It’s not recommended for everyone.  Here’s some good information about the drug.

Not all Dr’s will give you a RX, without having covid.

https://www.goodrx.com/paxlovid/how-to-get-paxlovid

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yes, this is what we do too if we occasionally use the buffet. The hand washing is especially important as it will help protect against noro too which most sanitizers won’t. Not a fan of gloves in this case either as any of us who used to work in medical/dental fields can tell you a lot of cross contamination can occur if not following correct practices. Hands can be washed.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

On our upcoming cruises when we utilize the buffet we will, as always, wash our hands in the cabin and wash our hands at the buffet hand washing station.

What we observed is that the Celebrity E class ships were built well for washing hands before entering buffet with wash stations that service about 15-20 people at the same time 

However when we cruised on Sky Princess in early 2022, there was only one station at the entrance and it was quite backed up when multiple people entered buffet at same time

58 minutes ago, Level six said:

Yep.  Once while we were dressing.  

This is why we set the dead bolt switch on the cabin door before going to bed, just to ensure the steward knows we’re in the cabin and don’t want to be disturbed. Yes, an officer can override the lock in an emergency. But I don’t think a steward can, or would under normal circumstances.

• Like 3