handicap shower bench in balcony cabin

bluey258

I don't want to get a handicap cabin just for the shower, but I do need one that a chair for the shower will fit.  I can't stand for a long period of time.  I walk with a walker for the most part.

I'm betting I will need a shower sometimes during the week..lol

thanks

61G00zt0WNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Pretty sure you can request a shower chair from Princess. Possibly able to do it in the app.

Edit: Yep. Just checked. In the app under My Preferences there is an Accessibility option. Select that and there is the option for a Shower Stool.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Pretty sure you can request a shower chair from Princess. Possibly able to do it in the app.

Edit: Yep. Just checked. In the app under My Preferences there is an Accessibility option. Select that and there is the option for a Shower Stool.

Here's the screencap (thanks to Thrak for the instructions)

Screenshot_20230813-1950134791.thumb.png.8f24666fb86c75a42f94fe6df0bfdac6.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dides said:

Here's the screencap (thanks to Thrak for the instructions)

Screenshot_20230813-1950134791.thumb.png.8f24666fb86c75a42f94fe6df0bfdac6.png

Yes, they do have the shower stools and would be a lot more sturdy than that black stool the Op pictured.  

I know they have them, because I had a huge balcony once with no foot stool.  I asked for a foot stool and he brought a shower stool. 😂 

He did finally find a foot stool.  Must have been a shortage. IDK

• Like 2

When. you request a shower stool, also request a hand held shower head.  If not in the cabin when you check in, crew chat and it will be installed before day's end.

But a warning.  The stool will take up a significant area of the already very small shower.  There are no hand rails to assist you in and out of the shower.  You really will not be able to take a shower using just the mounted shower head.  

Bring binder clips to weight down the shower curtain.  Good chance of water spilling out onto the bathroom floor.  

Just be careful.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

When. you request a shower stool, also request a hand held shower head.  If not in the cabin when you check in, crew chat and it will be installed before day's end.

But a warning.  The stool will take up a significant area of the already very small shower.  There are no hand rails to assist you in and out of the shower.  You really will not be able to take a shower using just the mounted shower head.  

Bring binder clips to weight down the shower curtain.  Good chance of water spilling out onto the bathroom floor.  

Just be careful.

The easiest solution to this would just be to transfer into a HC cabin.  This way you get the wide opening into the bath with no lip, the hand rails for the toilet and the shower and the hand held shower.  Also no shower curtain to stick to your butt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The easiest solution to this would just be to transfer into a HC cabin.  This way you get the wide opening into the bath with no lip, the hand rails for the toilet and the shower and the hand held shower.  Also no shower curtain to stick to your butt.

The OP already stated not wanting to take up an accessible cabin just for the shower. Those who can't cruise without an accessible cabin appreciate that sort of thoughtfulness.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

The OP already stated not wanting to take up an accessible cabin just for the shower. Those who can't cruise without an accessible cabin appreciate that sort of thoughtfulness.

Then I guess the OP will struggle with the shower bench taking up 90% of the floor space in a typical cabin's shower.   And the OP also stated that she walks with a walker for the most part.   That makes for a very slow way of getting from point A to point B when you're on a cruise.  I know this from first hand experience since I am in a scooter 100% of the time that I am outside my cabin.  While in the cabin, I used a walker, but once again move slowly.  I can't comprehend having to use a walker 100% of the time on a cruise, but to each their own.

The purpose of a handicapped cabin is not just for people that are relegated to wheelchairs.  If you are immobile enough to have to use a walker 100% of the time, you should be in a handicapped cabin and think nothing of it.

• Like 2

My husband uses a shower seat on cruises although we've not used one in a regular balcony shower.  He has gotten two different types, one was a bench seat and the other was more like a chair as it had a back.  He preferred the chair type as the bench was smaller and not as stable.  As mentioned above, be sure to ask for the hand held shower wand,

• Like 1

I don’t advise getting one like the one you show in the pic. I got one of those small ones for after my injury, and I slipped right off of it onto the bottom of the bathtub and almost hit my head. It was totally unstable and unsafe. Either use the kind Princess will provide, or opt for an accessible stateroom. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

This is an accessible shower on the Caribbean Princess.   It has a shower curtain.

Window Suite access bathroom 222.jpg

But the difference is that in a standard shower, which is smaller, there is a more than 50/50 chance it will stick to your butt.  The picture you posted, which I have first hand experience with, the curtain won't stick to your butt, even when my DH who's 300 lbs uses it standing up.  If you sit down on the bench, it won't attack you either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But the difference is that in a standard shower, which is smaller, there is a more than 50/50 chance it will stick to your butt.  The picture you posted, which I have first hand experience with, the curtain won't stick to your butt, even when my DH who's 300 lbs uses it standing up.  If you sit down on the bench, it won't attack you either.

I never have an issue with the shower curtain. Some folks take binder clips and clip them to the bottom of the curtain to make it hang down and not "attack" them. I simply wet the bottom of the curtain and then stick the corners to the edge of the shower and the curtain stays in place fine. I've never understood why people have problems with the shower curtain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluey258 said:

Thanks everyone for all your help. This new to me. We did change to a handicap cabin. With the walkers and shower they advised me to change. We love cruising so have to figure it out!!

Glad to hear it.  Your in room experience will be that much better.  Now, if you cruise a lot, you need to go out and buy yourself a scooter.  It's how I get around everywhere on the cruise and I only use the walker in the cabin.

• Like 1