Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

9 hours ago, memoak said:

Then what do the words “may be changed at any time” mean to you?

Usually such language is used to cover a company when services can not be provided due circumstances such as a product shortage or some other unusual situation. It is usually not used to willfully sell product A and then deliver product B

On 8/16/2023 at 1:03 AM, Thrak said:

This is a pet peeve of mine. All of the perks I paid for show up in the personalizer as  as "compliments of" my TA. People see the listing and are fooled into believing their TA "gifted" the perks to them.

That really is insulting…and tacky.  If it makes you feel better, mine says “Compliments of Princess Cruises”!!  As if… 😡 When you have to choose between Standard, Plus, or Premiere fares, clearly WE are paying for these extras!  Exasperating!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I do see both sides of the coin here.  

However, I believe it is false logic to claim that purchasing Standard, Plus, or Premier specifically included free access to Alfredo's/Gigi's.  Dining locations come and go.  Princess can make changes.  They can change something like TV channels.  They can change what's included in UBD offering.

Princess was fully within their rights to implement a RS charge.  The debate is over how and when to implement it.

I do think Princess has egg on their faces for having to implement a fee for Ocean Now since it had been a marketing differential with other lines.  Again, they are within their rights to do so and the same debate occurs - how and when to make the change.

The majority of cruisers - according to Princess marketing expectations, are on Plus or Premier, so those folks are pretty whole - for the most part (the biggest exception I see is those on longer voyages being restricted in number of free visits to Alfredo's/Gigi's if on the Plus - a majority of guests supposedly). 

Setting aside the number of free visits issue, regardless of voyage length (this also affects the SD benefit), because I think that is a different issue altogether that could be discussed with Princess or seek an explanation as to perceived unfairness. 

Princess could have gained a lot of good karma and publicity if they grandfathered in existing fully-paid bookings.  I hope they factored that into the equation of how many would accept versus be upset with an immediate change affecting all guests.  Perhaps they decided they would let the ships handle front-line complaints and provide guests who do complain and qualify with the changed items at no charge.  But that is a cost as well - bad publicity, occupying GS or other crew with these complaints, taking away from ability to handle the normal day-to-day inquiries and passenger needs at GS desk. 

My guess is that either the technology to track and allow just wasn't possible in a reasonable time-frame (nor would it be likely trusted at first to work), or they just decided to take heat for a short period and it would not affect bookings or repeat business.

Judging by CC posts, they miscalculated.  We don't know how it is impacting 3000 - 4000 passengers each week. 

Bottom line for me is that Princess was within their right to make the changes they did and we either suck it up or move on.  But I do think they fumbled the ball on both communication and implementation.  Better handling of both those would have less upset guests and less "bad press".

My message to those posting over and over about how wronged they are and how upset is to write Princess HQ and let them know.  And politely inquire on their cruise about some relief or compensation for the things they are missing out on for free.  A polite discussion about why you think some relief is appropriate might result in a good thing.  I would hope this group asking for relief only consists of those who were past FP Date when the changes were announced.

- for the most part (the biggest exception I see is those on longer voyages being restricted in number of free visits to Alfredo's/Gigi's if on the Plus - a majority of guests supposedly). 

Setting aside the number of free visits issue, regardless of voyage length (this also affects the SD benefit), because I think that is a different issue altogether that could be discussed with Princess or seek an explanation as to perceived unfairness
Yes, this is us and yes I did discuss although it wasn't really a "discussion" just a Q&A. And I was assured that the 2 casual meals were the limit no matter how long the voyage is.  The same 2 meals as those on a 7 day cruise.
And yes, we are in the group who is well past FP date (6/30) and sailing in about 54 days.

4 hours ago, ninka26 said:

Where in the email does that appear? I didn't see what package I have in my email. I booked after 8/2 for a 2024 cruisetour with Princess Premier. Could that be why I'm not seeing anything??

It’s at the bottom of the email.  But you’re probably okay since you booked in August.  I had booked in March of 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Actually, my invoice does not say in any way, shape or form that any "free" food is included with the fare. 

Not even eating in the main dining room is listed as free.

So as far as the invoice is concerned, there is no included food with the cruise.

What food is "promised" is what is on the Princess web site when the cruise is booked.

If you look at the website it does say the MDR is included as well as International Cafe and the venues up on deck by the pool and the buffet.  I guess if they started charging for items in the International Cafe we shouldn't be upset and just accept it, even well after final payment?  Those are called "included items".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, suzyed said:

- for the most part (the biggest exception I see is those on longer voyages being restricted in number of free visits to Alfredo's/Gigi's if on the Plus - a majority of guests supposedly). 

Setting aside the number of free visits issue, regardless of voyage length (this also affects the SD benefit), because I think that is a different issue altogether that could be discussed with Princess or seek an explanation as to perceived unfairness
Yes, this is us and yes I did discuss although it wasn't really a "discussion" just a Q&A. And I was assured that the 2 casual meals were the limit no matter how long the voyage is.  The same 2 meals as those on a 7 day cruise.
And yes, we are in the group who is well past FP date (6/30) and sailing in about 54 days.

I was wondering about the per cruise addition items and how they represented value based on length of the cruise? It certainly doesn't make a great selling point for packages on longer cruises if there is per cruise items included as you pay a lot more in total for the same benefit compared to a shorter cruise.

On the other hand, how are B2B cruises treated? Are they separate and therefore you get an allowance for each like you do for the elite min bar setup?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Womble99 said:

On the other hand, how are B2B cruises treated? Are they separate and therefore you get an allowance for each like you do for the elite min bar setup?

Good question and the answer is yet to be determined. It may depend if the B2B was one booking or two.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Good question and the answer is yet to be determined. It may depend if the B2B was one booking or two.

We can say with certainty that separately booked voyages will get "renewed" benefits on each segment.  Thus far, the answer for singular ("logical") bookings of multiple segments combined do not get extra benefits.  That might be an area where we see a change happen, but don't hold your breath.

58 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We can say with certainty that separately booked voyages will get "renewed" benefits on each segment.  Thus far, the answer for singular ("logical") bookings of multiple segments combined do not get extra benefits.  That might be an area where we see a change happen, but don't hold your breath.

Like minibar on separate segments?

9 hours ago, Womble99 said:

I was wondering about the per cruise addition items and how they represented value based on length of the cruise? It certainly doesn't make a great selling point for packages on longer cruises if there is per cruise items included as you pay a lot more in total for the same benefit compared to a shorter cruise.

Yes, on the B2B it's separate.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Not quite because you get the mini-bar regardless.

For now....
But you will get two mini-bars on cruises booked separately as B2B.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Womble99 said:

The answer is: they don't represent value if they were booked prior to the change. With "prior to the change" bookings it was a value.  Now although the price for Plus 60 paid every day on a 25-32-100 day voyage is the same...the 2 free meals does not change.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We've received minibars when booked as one cruise for each segment on turnaround day. Just one shareholder OBC, but replenished minibar.

Yes room service does not know how you booked the cruise. They will bring you a new one on each segment 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Time to start being loyal to another cruise.

Have you cruised recently on another line?

We have on RCI 4X, CELEBRITY 4X, MSC 4X, NCL 4X in past 2 years.

They are doing the same thing. Cutting back BIG time.

Price out beverage packages, Specialty Restaurants, tips.

Please let us know when you try the others and how it is.

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We've received minibars when booked as one cruise for each segment on turnaround day. Just one shareholder OBC, but replenished minibar.

One shareholder OBC would be more beneficial.  You'd get 250 for 14 days, but only 200 if booked separately (100 x each 7 day leg)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Happy Cruising! 

Those that have the blinders on and primarily cruise on Princess don't realize that all of the main stream cruise lines are doing different things with cutting back services in order to save money to make up for the billions bled because of the stoppage. 

We have also sailed on the same four lines that you did as well as the new Excel Class of Carnival.  If anybody is seriously thinking about leaving Princess because of the nonsense they are doing, peruse the boards of whatever line you're contemplating, you'll get an education.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Those that have the blinders on and primarily cruise on Princess don't realize that all of the main stream cruise lines are doing different things with cutting back services in order to save money to make up for the billions bled because of the stoppage. 

We have also sailed on the same four lines that you did as well as the new Excel Class of Carnival.  If anybody is seriously thinking about leaving Princess because of the nonsense they are doing, peruse the boards of whatever line you're contemplating, you'll get an education.

I would put it more that they are making similar changes because the current travel market gives them the pricing power to do so.  If they did not have the pricing power in a competitive environment it would not make any difference how much money they owed.

The mass market lines are largely moving in the same direction because they are in competition with each other.  They can see what other cruise lines do and how it works out for them. Princess is late to the game for some of the changes such as packages and class system (starting with Sun and Star) but they are moving in that direction.  All of the mass market lines are getting more and more of their revenue from on board sales.  It was around 25% prior to the shutdown, now it is around 35% and increasing. 

It is pretty funny and pretty obvious in how they announced the results that RCCL did their pizza survey just to tweak Princess after the recent changes and that they were not seriously considering a change.  It also raises the question if RCCL is starting to see Princess more of a competitor in the family market with the launch of Sun and Star.

The trends are pretty clear to compete on fare price and push on board sales mainly with packages.  If one stays with basic fares the trends are pretty clear that there will be other and increasing charges on board. 

If a high enough percentage selects packages one can expect other ways that cruise lines will make things less welcoming for us basic fare types (non-refundable deposits, less ability to select rooms in lower cost cabins, etc)

Even in the Premium lines you are starting to see changes in booking terms increasing the amount of deposits and making the refund terms less favorable.

43 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Happy Cruising! 

What they will find is unless they are willing to go to the more family oriented lines the fares they will pay and the cost of onboard items will, in general be higher.  

56 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Happy Cruising! 

Agree with you.  Read my reply in post #643. 

16 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I would put it more that they are making similar changes because the current travel market gives them the pricing power to do so.  If they did not have the pricing power in a competitive environment it would not make any difference how much money they owed.

The mass market lines are largely moving in the same direction because they are in competition with each other.  They can see what other cruise lines do and how it works out for them. Princess is late to the game for some of the changes such as packages and class system (starting with Sun and Star) but they are moving in that direction.  All of the mass market lines are getting more and more of their revenue from on board sales.  It was around 25% prior to the shutdown, now it is around 35% and increasing. 

It is pretty funny and pretty obvious in how they announced the results that RCCL did their pizza survey just to tweak Princess after the recent changes and that they were not seriously considering a change.  It also raises the question if RCCL is starting to see Princess more of a competitor in the family market with the launch of Sun and Star.

The trends are pretty clear to compete on fare price and push on board sales mainly with packages.  If one stays with basic fares the trends are pretty clear that there will be other and increasing charges on board. 

If a high enough percentage selects packages one can expect other ways that cruise lines will make things less welcoming for us basic fare types (non-refundable deposits, less ability to select rooms in lower cost cabins, etc)

Even in the Premium lines you are starting to see changes in booking terms increasing the amount of deposits and making the refund terms less favorable.

Great call regarding RCI and their pizza survey right after Alfredo-gate on Princess.  They did it as a jab towards Princess and no question they see Princess as competition in the future because of the family oriented sections on the top deck of the Sphere Class.  With the grandparents sometimes paying for a multigenerational cruise, the Sphere Class could be seen as a replacement to some of the RCI ships since the people paying for the cruise would enjoy Princess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1