Alternatives to Celebrity

Islander500

13 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Just a question — what perks does a suite on Royal come with? Things like included beverages, priority boarding, mini fridge access, etc. I’m not up to date on Royal, and suspect this is true of others here.

Priority boarding on all ships, on oasis class you get free beer and wine 11 to 11 I believe this is only in suite lounge, happy hour with liquor normally 5 to 8 , no mini fridge access . If your elite on Celebrity you will be diamond on rccl and you will get 4 drinks in any bar each day . Most of these perks do not exist on rccl older ships. Also suite restaurant on oasis class , one advantage to their suite restaurant is open for lunch every day. 

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

ECCruise:

Just curious — have you checked Silversea’s current prices and compared them to current prices in the Retreat? I have, and have found that (generally) you might be able to book Silversea for around the price of a Retreat Sky Suite, and get more inclusions and perks. We’ve had two cruises on Silversea, and it is a class act. The only reasons we didn’t make our recent booking on them (instead of Regent) are the itineraries and the fact that Silversea is VERY formal on its formal nights. But my aversion to formal nights is just personal,— many love them.

Have checked some of those prices but we find, after 20+ sailings in suites in mainline and premium lines (=X=, RCCL, NCL, Princess, Azamara and Oceania) that the prices are way, way beyond what we feel is commensurate with the experience.  Whether in Retreat or Silversea.

And we haven't done formal, or anything close to it, in nearly 15 years.  And not gonna go back. 🙂

On 8/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, Poconolady said:

Jim_Lain,

looking forward to your next Live report. What line will you be sailing?

We are are trying a small French Line -  Ponant -   Very small ships (186 pax).

In looking to replace a couple cruises Celebrity cancelled on us to South America I looked last night at Cunard.   With all the positive comments I booked a TA crossing on the prior to our Celebrity November 2024 TA.   

I was very please to book a 7 Day in a Queens Grill Suite for $8,000.    At first  I thought it was a mistake but I now have the booking confirmation in hand.

• Like 1

Yes, ECCruise: One thing I have liked on Celebrity is the ability to wear jeans anywhere, any time, so long as the jeans are in good condition with no rips or tears. X is the only line I know of that allows this. But as the Retreat no longer (in my opinion) offers value for the price and I won’t be booking X, I bought some slacks that are cut somewhat like jeans, but are not denim, for future cruises. But I find (in my opinion) that Silversea does offer value for the money. But this time, we are taking Regent, which IMHO offers value too. And slacks and a shirt with collar works at the time,

On 8/30/2023 at 12:32 PM, poeticlicensed said:

What is double Zenith? 

You hit Zenith at 3,000 points -   Double Zenith is when you hit 6,000 points but is not an official Celebrity Designation.

When you hit Zenith you get a free Ocean View 7 day Caribbean Cruise (or equivalent against a different destination or room class)

When you hit Zenith you the a 7 day Caribbean Aqua Class Cruise (or equivalent)

On 8/31/2023 at 5:55 AM, TeeRick said:

Jim,

This should be a wake up call for Celebrity.  I hope they are reading this.  We are trying other lines although we have been loyal Retreat cruisers (and E+),  but you are Double Zenith so as loyal to them as it gets.  And you are trying another line for the first time.  That says something to a lot of us here.

I suspect they may read some of the posts but as a cc addict I know it takes a lot of effort to read all the post and digest.   

I just finished an e-mail to Andrea Shey -  I don't believe in slamming Celebrity and solely sharing my perspective and indication that after feeling like a long term marriage is coming to an end will be on a Trial Separation while we see if our relationship is salvageable. 

Way back in time  (pre-Retirement) I was a Director of Customer Service and always appreciated it when a customer felt open enough to share a service failure with me.

• Like 7

On 8/31/2023 at 8:01 AM, Orator said:

They pay for a Classic Beverage package, but get the Premium Package as a benefit. They also pay for the standard internet package , but get the Premium. The laundry, pressing and dry cleaning also has a value. They receive invitations to any Zenith gatherings, such as a special luncheon. They might not get photos that first time cruisers tend to purchase. Benefits cost and much more than $100!

Now that they are removing Tips and $300 from the All Perks program -  the only benefit to hitting Zenith in a  suite is Free Laundry.   So basically for a 2 week cruise they again raised the price by $500-600

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 4:42 PM, mango puddin said:

Cunard Grill level used to be exceptional food and service. Food quality went downhill a bit, but still better than Celebrity suites. 

I didn't find the dress code onerous, I just put on a slightly nicer dress at dinner time, that's all. 

Preferred Cunard overall.

Will be picking your mind.    This morning we booked a Cunard QE2 Transatlantic in Queens Grill -   2 weeks ago I never imagined I would be posting this.

Just for a comparison - Labor Day Sale -  I have no Idea what a Queen's Grill Suite would match on Celebrity but in my mind I was thinking Sky Suite.   My agent was able to book under his agency "group" for about $1,000 lower.

image.thumb.png.a7bd1f170ff254ea8853ac27c0c69fe4.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Those older and formerly loyal Suite customers will be replaced with younger Suite customers that will spend more. That is what Celebrity wants.

That may be Celebrity's focus but I have a feeling that concept will fail.    Generally younger guests especially those with children do not have the ability to take longer cruises (which maybe why Celebrity is shifting to shorter cruises with private islands).

The generally do not have the amount of discretionary money to travel in suites 2 to 3 months out of the year.    Would love to see an equation   on how many new "younger" cruisers they will need to attract at current prices to loose some of us OLD FARTS. 

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

ECCruise:

Just curious — have you checked Silversea’s current prices and compared them to current prices in the Retreat? I have, and have found that (generally) you might be able to book Silversea for around the price of a Retreat Sky Suite, and get more inclusions and perks. We’ve had two cruises on Silversea, and it is a class act. The only reasons we didn’t make our recent booking on them (instead of Regent) are the itineraries and the fact that Silversea is VERY formal on its formal nights. But my aversion to formal nights is just personal,— many love them.

A bit of information for those considering Silversea for Expedition cruising: evenings are not formal. Some folks wore the same things to dinner that they'd worn on land in Antarctica (minus outerwear, of course).

We dressed the way we do for dinner on Smart Casual nights for dinner, and a little nice the evening we had dinner in La Dame.

I'd been very nervous about what I'd read about the formality, and SS did not make it easy to find that information, so I was very grateful to the posters on the SS forum who explained the much moe casual atmosphere on the expeditions.  

• Like 3

After getting cast aside when the Beyond 11/1/24 TA was cancelled— and being encouraged to book a replacement such as the 11/9/24 Apex TA — which we did and which was subsequently cancelled about a month later— and getting little in return , we have booked the 11/20/24 Oceania Vista 15 day TA from Rome to Miami. 

We were going to go with a Concierge Veranda, but a Penthouse Suite opened up and we grabbed it (plus it was close to the elevators which is very helpful). Even after adjusting for gratuities & beverages, it’s cheaper on a per person per day basis than a Sky suite on the Apex Now-October TA. 

Space wise, the Penthouse suite is closer to a CS. That dollar comparison is not even close. 

It’s not all about the dollars— but given X’s 2023 actions, it’s time to try something different . 

We haven’t burned the X bridge yet, but their prices and decisions need to change for us to run back. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 8

MamaFej — I think we can all count on expedition cruises having no “formal nights”. And this includes Silversea and all others. As we have been too old to enjoy an expedition cruise for some years, we know nothing about them. I was referring only to the regular ocean cruises of Silversea. On them, a sports coat and tie is permitted, but by custom, it may be “under-dressed” on formal nights. 

25 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I was referring only to the regular ocean cruises of Silversea. On them, a sports coat and tie is permitted, but by custom, it may be “under-dressed” on formal nights. 

New dress code on Silversea has started with their new ship and probably will be introduced fleet wide. Check out the Silversea board.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billc23 said:

New dress code on Silversea has started with their new ship and probably will be introduced fleet wide. Check out the Silversea board.

Thank you sir. It looks much better. On “formal optional” nights, the only difference between Silversea and Regent is that Silversea requires a sports coat (no tie as I read it). As that’s not a problem for me, I’ll be monitoring Silversea closely to see if this change is fleet wide. And there seems to be no formal optional night on 7 night cruises, which we usually take.

4 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

MamaFej — I think we can all count on expedition cruises having no “formal nights”. And this includes Silversea and all others. As we have been too old to enjoy an expedition cruise for some years, we know nothing about them. I was referring only to the regular ocean cruises of Silversea. On them, a sports coat and tie is permitted, but by custom, it may be “under-dressed” on formal nights. 

I probably should not have quoted you for that post. I had not been aware that more casual dress would be permitted on our expedition. Once my dear TA friend told me about the amazing deal he was offered for Antartica and would we like to come along, I started looking at the Silversea board, and became nervous about the whole "Men must wear jackets after 6pm" thing, regardless of whether the night was designated "formal."

I posted what I did just in case others found themselves similarly wondering. 

34 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

No, I had one booked and canceled it and took the $150 cancelation fee hit.  

OK.  Only asked because you said "no thanks on the new owners."  We sailed Azamara many times before the sale and 5 since (and have 7 booked) and found the onboard differences between pre-sale and after are minor, if at all. 

Admittedly, the website was/is a mess, but getting better daily.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

OK.  Only asked because you said "no thanks on the new owners."  We sailed Azamara many times before the sale and 5 since (and have 7 booked) and found the onboard differences between pre-sale and after are minor, if at all. 

Admittedly, the website was/is a mess, but getting better daily.

I am hoping they clean up their act.  I will book with them again.  Love the line.  Just waiting for now.

On 8/17/2023 at 2:33 AM, wineoclock said:

Just thinking of switching our June cruise in a CS on apex to sky Princess (can’t remember which suite) but unsure. 

Sky Princess is wonderful. RCI/Celebrity for years and Elite. Tried Princess after the restart and love it. We are on Equinox Oct 14, only because we had non refundable deposit, and then Sky and Sun Princess  We love Wake Pool, Retreat Pool, Sanctuary, International Cafe, Piazza and mini suites, Their specialty restaurants are as good as X or better and much cheaper. No 20% tip either, We are in Aqua on X and are very disappointed at what we are reading has been eliminated. Will see in a few weeks 

• Like 1

Thank you 

Dh Wouldn’t switch. But I’ve downgraded us to a sunset veranda as just couldn’t justify the price for a CS. Cold weather cruise so don’t need retreat sundeck. 

Im happy with switch.

Looking at 7 night Regent cruise for next October as a small taster. Will see if can persuade DH :)) 

On 8/17/2023 at 12:47 PM, ISABELLA said:

Being loyal Celebrity cruisers, sailing often in AQ, decided to try something new and different.

We absolutely enjoyed NCL Haven, food and service was superb. Didn't care for NCl ships or overall atmosphere.

We are trying the Encore Haven in Feb 2025, I feel confident that we will enjoy the Haven section of the ship…

on the NCL ships or overall atmosphere - does it matter what ship - or is it just NCL in general?  

It’s our first time straying away from Celebrity

3 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Has anybody considered copying this thread and sending it to Celebrity’s president and marketing VP? Heck, I’d do it but I lack the needed computer skills. I know that this has been done with other threads on CC from time to time.

Celebrity can't instantly cut the size of their ships and capacity to please many of the people commenting on this thread.