can I bring a coffee maker onto NCL cruise??

artemis846

10 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

^^this^^

I can tell that none of the people dragging along coffee makers of whatever size had careers in teaching or nursing.  When you’ve gotten used to drinking cold or (if lucky) reheated-for-the-third-time-in-the-staff-room-microwave coffee, even the buffet coffee on a cruise ship will be just fine…

You've obviously never had the 'opportunity' to enjoy Army coffee.

My last assignment, the senior nco was a sergeant major who thought a spoon should stand upright in a cup of coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 8/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, graphicguy said:

Nothing against your request, but seriously, if you were going to bring a coffee maker on. board, I think I'd pick something a tad better than a Keurig.  As bad as the coffee is in the buffet, I certainly would prefer it over a Keurig.

These would be way better, too....

https://maxpressocoffee.com

https://athome.starbucks.com/product-category/starbucksr-instant?gclsrc=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&gclid=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_campaign=CY22_AlwaysOnSearch&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=starbuck instant coffee&utm_matchtype=e

My sistwr always brings her Nespresso frother.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My last assignment, the senior nco was a sergeant major who thought a spoon should stand upright in a cup of coffee.

Thank you for your service. And to the nurse- thank you for yours as well. I know that can be a thankless job. 

• Like 1

I’ll start by saying- I’m not a coffee connoisseur. Most coffee has very little taste to me. Many of the places cruises go are known for excellent coffee. Why not buy when you are in port. Isn’t part of travel tasting new delicacies?

As to big suitcases- I agree with those limiting to a carry on. However, I understand why some people have more. Some people bring formal outfits for the cruise. They take a lot of space. More commonly, many people are not just on a 7 day cruise. Our last cruise was 7 days in the Adriatic. But our total trip was almost 3 weeks. Our nephew lives in Milan. We had almost one whole suitcase dedicated to bringing him American things he can’t easily get there. That suitcase was full of Venetian glass and gifts for others on the way home. Just saying- don’t judge. 

• Like 3

One of the reasons I love NCL is the fact that there are no real "dress up" requirements.  I remember all too well packing a tux, a suit, dress shirts, ties, dress shoes.

That took up a ton of space in luggage.  Once I eliminated all of that when NCL went to Free Style, I was able to go to roll aboard luggage.  That saves me in luggage fees, too.

I'm booked on an 11-day cruise in the Mediterranean on the Epic in October.  After the cruise, I'm meeting family in Italy to stay another couple of weeks. 

I think I'll be able to do a roll aboard and a back pack.  Using the ship's laundry a couple of times and the airbnb we're staying at in Italy has washing facilities.  So, I should be able to pull that off.

Tuxes, suits, dress clothes?  If I had to bring those, that prospect would be next to impossible and I would forego cruising.  Thankfully, those days have passed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

One of the reasons I love NCL is the fact that there are no real "dress up" requirements.  I remember all too well packing a tux, a suit, dress shirts, ties, dress shoes.

That took up a ton of space in luggage.  Once I eliminated all of that when NCL went to Free Style, I was able to go to roll aboard luggage.  That saves me in luggage fees, too.

I'm booked on an 11-day cruise in the Mediterranean on the Epic in October.  After the cruise, I'm meeting family in Italy to stay another couple of weeks. 

I think I'll be able to do a roll aboard and a back pack.  Using the ship's laundry a couple of times and the airbnb we're staying at in Italy has washing facilities.  So, I should be able to pull that off.

Tuxes, suits, dress clothes?  If I had to bring those, that prospect would be next to impossible and I would forego cruising.  Thankfully, those days have passed.

My fist cruise in the ‘80’s had 2 formal nights.  I took a huge teal ball gown and a (very heavy) mini-beaded dress. How times have changed.  Now I may take a few sun-dresses.  Whereas I used to pack lots of different shoes I now pack tennis shows for workout 1 or 2 sandals or flip flops for day and dress sandals for evening.  

My entire cruise wardrobe is mix & match black/white/turqoise.  I have mastered “rolling” to save space snd wrinkling (love Downey wrinkle-away).

I fly in the day before and wear something cute that I was ready to donate.  I fold and leave in hotel room with a note: “do not want”.  

I cut back to travel size products (or samples) and a travel wand for hair.  Perfume samples from magazines work great.  

I have changed with the times. 

Edited by DMH15
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Szt said:

I think most ships also have Starbucks or some kind of specialty coffee spots. I’d rather pay a few dollars a day for a Starbucks than haul a coffee maker and pods around. 

Except Starbucks "coffee" really isn't that great. How many actually drink their coffee black as opposed to their coffee flavoured milk drinks?

Having said that, I would not bring a coffee maker or even ask for one to my room. Buffet coffee may not be great, (a little too weak IMHO) but decent enough for a week or two for me. Totally understand those that think differently though. Long live differnce of opinions! 😄 

49 minutes ago, DMH15 said:

My fist cruise in the ‘80’s had 2 formal nights.  I took a huge teal ball gown and a (very heavy) mini-beaded dress. How times have changed.  Now I may take a few sun-dresses.  Whereas I used to pack lots of different shoes I now pack tennis shows for workout 1 or 2 sandals or flip flops for day and dress sandals for evening.  

My entire cruise wardrobe is mix & match black/white/turqoise.  I have mastered “rolling” to save space snd wrinkling (love Downey wrinkle-away).

I fly in the day before and wear something cute that I was ready to donate.  I fold and leave in hotel room with a note: “do not want”.  

I cut back to travel size products (or samples) and a travel wand for hair.  Perfume samples from magazines work great.  

I have changed with the times. 

My first cruise was in the '80s, too.....SS Norway.  I remember the two formal nites.  I packed a tux, a suit, 3 or 4 dress shirts, a bow tie,  two regular ties, black patent leather shoes, another pair of dress shoes, cufflinks, collar stays...and that was just for dinners on board.  That was one large suitcase by itself.  

My (then) wife packed two gowns, 3-4 dresses, I'm sure at least 5-6 pr of shoes, jewelry...that was another large suitcase.

Then, we had to pack toiletries, makeup, swimwear, daycare, tennis shoes, shorts, tops, etc...that was another large suitcase (or 2).

That was before wheeled suitcases were a thing.  I remember hauling all that around to the airport, from the airport to the ship, on the ship, off the ship, to the airport.

I am so glad those formal outfits are a distant past while cruising.  I don't think I've even brought a sport coat or dress shirt on board over the last 4-5 years.  Certainly haven't packed dress shoes.

NCL was the first to get rid of the formal wear/dress up requirements.  Kudos to them for that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

And for what?  To take a U-Haul worth of “stuff” on board, when less than ½ of it will be used.

I often wonder how many relationships began their demise upon embarkation/disembarkation of a cruise ship?

I'd have you talk to my wife, but she probably wouldn't listen to you either! So we'll be some of the people you're people watching... (Other than I'm not on your cruise!)

• Haha 1

Good (my definition is the only one that counts for me)  coffee is an essential. Bad wine and whisky I can drink but not bad coffee. We have a full sized filer coffee pot in its box which is our travel pot for air b&b stays of two nights or more, single serve filters for one night hotel stays and, travel mugs to get coffee from the buffet on cruises. I will be checking out the empty tea bag idea for our next NCL cruise.

As for luggage I can do carry on, but if we are driving to the port then one regular suitcase and a carry on each is standard. Over the years I have acquired a lot of pretty clothes and bling and I'm not planning on being buried in them.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 5:25 PM, Sundiego said:

How much coffee do you put in these? Like a heaping Tbsp?

Thanks!

Denise

These look cool for a single cup coffee maker  --  I don't think I'd pack them for a cruise, but certainly for home 🙂

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Didn't know that Walkie-Talkies were prohibited, too

That was added a couple weeks or months ago, there was discussion and a couple "cruisetubers" did videos on it.

As for luggage - my clothes are a little bigger than many, they take up a little more room.  I have a 26 or 28 inch suitcase, I'm trying to figure out how I can pack that for a 15 night cruise.  My shirts that I'd wear day to day might not do well in the ship laundry (hot water might be an issue) so using the laundry service might not be an option for them. 

I just returned from a 10-day trip for work that I figured might be a good test run for packing but as I think about it that might not be the case.  The aforementioned shirts also went on this trip and not many were used, but I only needed one for a couple hours after returning to my room after dinner (I wore a polo during the day) so they got re-used and many returned clean/unused.

I have a few months to work on my packing for my next cruise...

16 hours ago, Catchum said:

Good (my definition is the only one that counts for me)  coffee is an essential. Bad wine and whisky I can drink but not bad coffee. We have a full sized filer coffee pot in its box which is our travel pot for air b&b stays of two nights or more, single serve filters for one night hotel stays and, travel mugs to get coffee from the buffet on cruises. I will be checking out the empty tea bag idea for our next NCL cruise.

As for luggage I can do carry on, but if we are driving to the port then one regular suitcase and a carry on each is standard. Over the years I have acquired a lot of pretty clothes and bling and I'm not planning on being buried in them.

I have always brought those large rectangular tea bags with my own coffee. I have not ever stapled them closed, just fill with a heaping TBS of my fav coffee, inserted them into the machine and left the extra few inches hang outside the machine. I have yet to have one malfunction. If you don't like to do that or the machine won't allow for it, just heat the water with out their pod, and steep the coffee filled bag like you do tea....a minute or two , remove bag (give it a little squeeze if you want) and you have coffee! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KDW9MO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

23 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Oh,….been down that road.  Army coffee was probably the worse I’ve had in my life.  We used to “joke” about how our DI put his dirty socks in water and served it to us as coffee.  

• Like 1

We’ve gotten a little off topic with the luggage side if this conversation. But since we are there: first cruise 1991- Costa. Ship was horrible! Last sailing before being decommissioned. We packed 1 huge suitcase and 1 carry on each. Had several formal outfits, I don’t how many shoes ( a lot)! We had set dinner time and table partners. How times have changed. Now we travel with 1 carry on, 1 backpack  and our cpaps. We have more equipment than clothes. We’d pack even less except we hate rewearing sweaty clothes. And hubby thinks it’s trashy to hang wet clothes in the room. 
Since Covid we have very little clothing variety. I haven’t worn dress shoes in 4 years. We live (and sleep) in t-shirts and jeans or shorts.

Last cruise we limited everyone to carry ons only. We brought a light foldable bag. That’s where dirty laundry went. We bought lots of t-shirts and other mementos on the trip. Going home, we checked the dirty laundry bag. Hate waiting for luggage at the start of trip. On the way home I don’t care. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 11:10 AM, jean87510 said:

Why not just save the aggravation and buy a specialty coffee every day?  

Because I have to get dressed to go and pay for something that is not as good as I can make in the cabin. Plus when is one coffee a day a realistic option?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Catchum said:

Because I have to get dressed to go and pay for something that is not as good as I can make in the cabin. Plus when is one coffee a day a realistic option?

When you get old like me, one cup a day of coffee is pretty realistic!  😍

• Like 1