Yellow Fever Vaccine warning

commodoredave

Some cruises, including South American ones that may call at certain places like French Guinea, require Yellow Fever vaccines for passengers who want to go ashore. However, as the Yellow Fever vaccine is a live vaccine, it is dangerous for many people over 60 to take. Here is what one prominent travel medical clinic says about it:

"If you are aged 60 years or older and are travelling to countries where there is a low potential for exposure to yellow fever you should not have yellow fever vaccine . In these instances, due to a higher risk of life-threatening side effects in this age group, yellow fever vaccine is not recommended."

So, would you get the vaccine anyway, stay onboard the ship, or just not take the cruise? And might the cruise line refuse you boarding for not having a Yellow Fever vaccine?

I ask because we are booked on a Seabourn Amazon cruise in October, and my wife today was refused a Yellow Fever vaccine by a travel medical doctor for age reasons.

FYI we did learn yesterday at our travel clinic that the vaccine is now considered good for life not 10 years as it was in the past. The WHO ruled this several years ago with new data. I got the vaccine in 2006 that don’t need to get it again and my vaccine card was updated. We are going to the Amazon in October. They also did say that yellow fever has expanded in Brazil into the major cities over the last decade so if you don’t get vaccinated, make sure you wear lots of bug spray. This will help protect against all mosquito borne diseases, such as Zika and Dengue fever.

I took the vaccine at 50. Zero side effects. It’s good for life now. Staying onboard wasn’t an option on Sojourn’s recent world cruise that included many African ports. You needed to have proof of vaccination to board the ship. 

We were due to cruise on the Amazon April 2020, cancelled obviously.  We are doing this cruise now, next Spring.  

Whilst we were consulted about any side effects of the yellow fever jab, we had no hesitation in having it, (late 60s, and 70s) and it is for life.  

We had no side effects whatsoever.  

10 hours ago, commodoredave said:

my wife today was refused a Yellow Fever vaccine by a travel medical doctor for age reasons.

My husband and I went to a travel clinic in Australia last year and we are over 60 and the doctor there after discussing possible side effects was fine to give us the yellow fever vaccine. We had no side effects though I understand different people can react differently.

I have heard that some people have just used DEET products and ensured they covered up clothing wise, long sleeves etc. They also had a letter from their doctor indicating an exemption. Maybe go that way or consult a different doctor if your wife would prefer getting the vaccine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Glad there is no problem getting vaccinated in Maryland.   Is your wife in poor health?   We are in our 70’s and could get the vaccine.

My wife is over 70 but in good health other than high blood pressure for which she takes medication.

7 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I took the vaccine at 50. Zero side effects. It’s good for life now. Staying onboard wasn’t an option on Sojourn’s recent world cruise that included many African ports. You needed to have proof of vaccination to board the ship. 

Our TA asked Seabourn about this and we heard back late yesterday that my wife could board the ship with her medical certificate. However, her shore visits will be conditional on officials at each port. So far the only port listed as yellow fever vaccine required is Devil’s Island in French Guinea. 

We went to Uganda and Tanzania in 2020 and hubby and I both got our yellow fever vaccine. Hubby was 71 at the time and did not have any side effects. It gives you peace of mind to receive it. We went back this winter and our neighbour wanted to come with us. She is super healthy but she is 84. She did not want to get the vaccine so the health clinic gave her a document stating her age did not allow her to get the vaccine (something like that!). Her friend came along as well, she was 74 but opted to receive the yellow fever vaccine. She did not have any side effects.

Hope it helps you make the right decision for you!

Chantal

Lover of Africa 🦍🦏🦛🐘🦓🦒🦁🐒