Solo Rooms On Crystal Serenity

Keith1010

25 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Vince, your update on the space is in line with me.

Please note that t's an issue for longer voyages such as for two people doing a World Cruise.For most people not an issue for solos, particularly on shorter cruises. But for even solos on longer cruises it could be an issue depending on how much clothing they bring.

When we stayed in those rooms we already had removed the bathrobes and changed out the hangers.

Keith

Keith, I agree 100%…  Just a little more clarification — my comments above were primarily framed around solos since this is a solo thread, but I left the comments open to doubles with the reference to the people who would have had a problem before the refit.

My main point is that people can argue the new staterooms are either slightly better or slightly worse functionally than the old ones, but in response to the sentiment that the designer needs to be fired (?!? - they’re not the one that sets the objectives, they present options to the client), it’s not like they created a new problem…. At worst they took an existing problem and made it slightly worse while solving for other problems.

Vince

• Like 1

Combining the excellent suggestions from Vince and Keith, moving the robes to the bathroom (either folded on the shelves or hanging on the door hooks) plus replacing the thick wooden hangers with wire hangers or thin plastic hangers from home should ameliorate much of the problem. 

• Like 3

We often took the robes out but never changed the wooden hangers for thin ones. I’m guessing we’ll be fine b/c we never ran out of space. It’ll be more of a challenge, though.

Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crickette said:

And the introduction of butlers throughout the ship required the introduction of a butler's station in each cabin.

Are you sure there is a Butlers Station in the entry level rooms like Double Veranda or the Single rooms? I don’t believe that’s the case 

What function would that serve?

18 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Are you sure there is a Butlers Station in the entry level rooms like Double Veranda or the Single rooms? I don’t believe that’s the case 

What function would that serve?

My interpretation might have been wrong, but I was picturing the hall unit in the regular cabins when I read that...  Basically everything in that unit, on those shelves and on that counter is the butler's responsibility now.

16 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Quick correction on my earlier estimate — I found some notes on the closet unit that would have the net loss closer to one foot total than the 6-9” I originally estimated.  The same comments apply about the hangers and bathrobes, but it that is a little bigger loss of hanging bar space than my earlier estimate.

Vince

A foot is a big loss when two people have things like suits and cocktail dresses as well as their other clothes.

• Like 6

I don't think of this as a butlers staton.

I would describe it more as a bar area.

They created a nice area for the guests to use for glasses and for drinks.  Yes, the butler now takes care of this rather than the stewardess but it's not sized for a tray.  The outlet could be used to charge devices.

The butler uses a cart to service the area such as refilling beverages, bringing food, etc.  If just bringing a bottle of wine the butler might hand carry it from the pantry.  If several items they will use a cart.

The only true butler station I am aware of is in the CP's on Serenity with the Butler Pantry.

These are photos from a solo room. As you can see a tray isn't going to fit on the area with the glasses and they don't use trays.

IMG_2879(2).thumb.jpeg.a2638e410240a5a67a82f1235df3ce4a.jpeg

Food could be eaten on the coffee table or at the desk.

IMG_2872(1).thumb.jpeg.bdfa17475d4c0469110457a42821883a.jpeg

Keith

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

We've moved on to closet space.  I think NC is going to make it.

The saying we've come along way baby applies.

Much better than all those discussions with a few not believing the majority of the crew would be returning or that Crystal would be very similar than it was.  Oh those were the days............And those days weren't very long ago.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

IMG_2879(2).thumb.jpeg.a2638e410240a5a67a82f1235df3ce4a.jpeg

I have no idea what Crystal was planning, but the little training I have in hospitality design makes my little brain think, “the coffeemaker is designed to go here,” every time I see this picture.  It’ll be interesting to see if they get added in future years.

Vince

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I have no idea what Crystal was planning, but the little training I have in hospitality design makes my little brain think, “the coffeemaker is designed to go here,” every time I see this picture.  It’ll be interesting to see if they get added in future years.

Vince

Vince yes. It was a wise decision to put the outlet in. It provides flexibility and what better time than doing it when rooms were being built from scratch. A lot less costly do do it at that time.

Keith 

• Like 1

I like the idea of charging devices there so desk can be less cluttered.

Looking forward to trying out the whole thing! Have purchased magnetic hooks to use. There’s a chance they’ll even work from the ceiling. Biggest challenge will be where to put them.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2023 at 5:54 AM, Keith1010 said:

Vince, your update on the space is in line with me.

Please note that t's an issue for longer voyages such as for two people doing a World Cruise.For most people not an issue for solos, particularly on shorter cruises. But for even solos on longer cruises it could be an issue depending on how much clothing they bring.

When we stayed in those rooms we already had removed the bathrobes and changed out the hangers.

Keith

5 hours ago, Travelbird22 said:

Can I ask- is it annoying to have people walking outside the window all day? And not being able to open your blinds?

There is a reflective coating on the windows, so as long as it’s lighter outside the room than inside, it’s hard to see in.  Generally, the sheers are enough to provide privacy during the day — I can’t remember ever having to close the curtains in daylight.

That said, I personally find Serenity’s setup where the promenade is at eye level with the rooms a little unnerving, but that’s just me.  Symphony’s setup where the promenade is recessed doesn’t bother me much at all.

Vince

Is there someone at the moment on a solo room in the Serenity that can tell us about the experience on this cabins on rough seas please? I have heard that there was quite of a rough weather when leaving Miami. I am interested because on my next cruise, due to the price difference with other cabins, I have taken one of those solo cabins and as we all know they are quite further on deck 7.

Ivi