Dine my way and charge for speciality dining (sorry I know this has been discussed but I can’t find it)

mrstmaxx96

(sigh). We don’t eat in specialty restaurants but are going with friends and they want to.  We have a ton on OBC so we are paying for this. Had a problem with booking using Dine My Way so had to talk with ‘a navagator’ and I advised her we have OBC to use and don’t want this charged to a credit card.  (lots of snark coming up). No big surprise as soon as I hung up I got the charge.   I called back and was told we have to cancel the reservation.  WHAT!!!  No there has to be another way.  So she says to contact Ocean Front.  I said nope that’s not what they do.  So I hung up.

I’m guessing I can go to guest services and have this fixed but wanted to confirm if there’s anything else.  

Thanks

1 hour ago, mrstmaxx said:

Oh and that really sucks 

Once onboard don't fart around. Make your reservations as soon as possible. I once waited to make my reservations and, by the time I got around to it, the date I wanted was sold out.

• Like 2

On a related note, if one pre-books SD restaurant reservations, has their credit card charged immediately, then goes to Guest Services once on board to have the charges reversed (so as to use OBC), exactly how are the charges reversed?  Are they credited back onto the original credit card, or are they "reversed" by the issuance of more OBC? IIRC I've seen mention that it is the latter, and as we have TONS of OBC for our upcoming trips, I'd rather pre-pay on my CC them have the charges credited back to that CC, I don't need any more OBC.

As mentioned you can only use OBC pre-cruise to book excursions. If you don't want the charge then you have to cancel. If your friends have already booked, then on boarding day go with them to the restaurant and ask to be added to their table. It may work.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pugbeary said:

(sigh). We don’t eat in specialty restaurants but are going with friends and they want to.  We have a ton on OBC so we are paying for this. Had a problem with booking using Dine My Way so had to talk with ‘a navagator’ and I advised her we have OBC to use and don’t want this charged to a credit card.  (lots of snark coming up). No big surprise as soon as I hung up I got the charge.   I called back and was told we have to cancel the reservation.  WHAT!!!  No there has to be another way.  So she says to contact Ocean Front.  I said nope that’s not what they do.  So I hung up.

I’m guessing I can go to guest services and have this fixed but wanted to confirm if there’s anything else.  

Thanks

I would cancel the reservation you made and let it be credited back now to your CC.  If you wait until you get OB, they many times just credit you with OBC.  You said you have a lot already.  

Did your friends book theirs separately from you?  If so, you can just call the dine line and add yourself to their table or stop by the restaurant on boarding day and tell them.  They will charge you when you dine there using your OBC.

• Thanks 1

Friends did not book anything. We are paying for all of us.   I’ve called and cancelled and will make a new reservation immediately upon boarding and keep fingers crossed we can get something that works for us rather than settling.  This could have all been avoided if the person would have told me up front I can’t book now and use OBC. Very frustrating 

• Like 1

Looks like you know what to do regarding your booking now.

I just wanted to recommend Catch by Rudi if you have it on your ship.  We ate there last night on Sky and it was amazing.

Best meal we've ever had with Princess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, pugbeary said:

(sigh). We don’t eat in specialty restaurants but are going with friends and they want to.  We have a ton on OBC so we are paying for this. Had a problem with booking using Dine My Way so had to talk with ‘a navigator’ and I advised her we have OBC to use and don’t want this charged to a credit card.  (lots of snark coming up). No big surprise as soon as I hung up I got the charge.   I called back and was told we have to cancel the reservation.  WHAT!!!  No there has to be another way.  So she says to contact Ocean Front.  I said nope that’s not what they do.  So I hung up.

Thanks

Same advice for you as the other poster.  Cancel now in order to get a CC refund rather than refund as OBC.  Book early - soon after you board the ship for the best choices.

• Thanks 1