Gratuities/Tipping etiquette?

Cheadle_Chick

Question about gratuities and tipping. I see that there is an option to pre-pay the gratuities but I had also been told this can be turned off and we can tip in cash instead? Is this an ok thing to do? I've been told that the servers and cabin stewards really appreciate this more than the auto gratuity but is it ok? 

Either way, if we are tipping with cash, how much is appropriate and where to tip? 

The other thing is, we are travelling with our 2 younger children and I'm wondering if it might not be a terrible faux pas to possibly turn off the gratuities for them? I'm feeling a bit sucked dry by all the extra fees and for our family of 5 (my grandmother is cruising with us in her own cabin) it's $800 US for the auto gratuities. 

The other thing I noticed was that the auto-gratuities don't seem to really line up with what's said online. We are in a Vista Suite and I see online that $16/person/room or $17.50/person/suite. $16 x 7 days = $112 and $17.50 x 7 is $122.50. However my option online to pre-pay crew gratuities is $145.60 per person.... How does that work? 

My understanding is that turning off the auto gratuities means that the individuals you give cash tips to are not allowed to keep them; they have to turn them in to the "pool".  If you keep the auto gratuities in place, the individuals you tip, over and above the auto grats, may keep the additional tip.  I personally would keep the auto grats in place and tip only if receiving service above and beyond the usual service.

Yes, it is a lot for five people; but all five of you are eating the food, using the facilities, sheets, towels, watching the entertainment, etc.

As for the difference you're seeing, are you in Canada, by chance?  Because I've been caught by that before; it's the exchange rate in my case. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alberta Quilter said:

My understanding is that turning off the auto gratuities means that the individuals you give cash tips to are not allowed to keep them; they have to turn them in to the "pool".  If you keep the auto gratuities in place, the individuals you tip, over and above the auto grats, may keep the additional tip.  I personally would keep the auto grats in place and tip only if receiving service above and beyond the usual service.

Yes, it is a lot for five people; but all five of you are eating the food, using the facilities, sheets, towels, watching the entertainment, etc.

As for the difference you're seeing, are you in Canada, by chance?  Because I've been caught by that before; it's the exchange rate in my case. 

That's exactly the kind of thing I needed to know. I had no idea that they weren't allowed to keep the gratuities they'd been given in cash if we took the auto-gratuities off. We won't do that for sure! 

And yes, we're Canadian, the exchange rate is killing me!

• Like 1

I’m glad you have decided to keep the automatic “ crew appreciation”. I believe you will appreciate how hard the crew works.  Here are two other threads with a bit more information about tipping.

31 minutes ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

However my option online to pre-pay crew gratuities is $145.60 per person.

That is Canadian Dollars (Not USD) as the option to pre pay is quoted in the currency of booking.  This is an opportunity to get a good rate of exchange and save a few dollars.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I’m glad you have decided to keep the automatic “ crew appreciation”. I believe you will appreciate how hard the crew works.  Here are two other threads with a bit more information about tipping.

Thank you! This is helpful! 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That is Canadian Dollars (Not USD) as the option to pre pay is quoted in the currency of booking.  This is an opportunity to get a good rate of exchange and save a few dollars.

Gotcha! That makes more sense. I didn't think it was in Canadian funds as everything else you can book online shows in US funds. 

17 minutes ago, julia said:

Please leave the gratuities in place, and reset your perspective about them. Gratuities are simply a part of your overall holiday expense, and are well deserved by a hard working crew.

Oh I definitely planned to tip either way! I just liked the idea of tipping directly vs a mass pool that doesn't really show the "gratitude" as much as face to face does. We'll pack a bit of extra cash for tips too! I'm sure these folks get paid absolutely minimal wage and they do go above and beyond! 

• Like 4

Believe it or not the room stewards all know if you opt out of the gratuities.  There is a list they have of those who opt to not participate in the program which is why you have to do it before the cruise starts.  Personally, I think they should just build it into every fare and not offer it as an option. 

Here's my philosophy.  Definitely stay in the gratuities program.  If someone goes above and beyond recognize them with either an additional cash gift or, even better than that mention them by name in the survey you receive the day you leave the ship.  Believe it or not those mentions mean more to them than a few dollars because they will result in merit raises and promotions.  And if you don't think they know you did it try doing it on a back to back cruise and wait for them to come up and thank you on the next leg.

We've also sent in praises through the app while onboard and know for sure the folks get the recognition.  Those go to the guest services manager and will be distributed to the supervisor of the person you single out.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Real NHDOC said:

Believe it or not the room stewards all know if you opt out of the gratuities.  There is a list they have of those who opt to not participate in the program which is why you have to do it before the cruise starts.  Personally, I think they should just build it into every fare and not offer it as an option. 

Here's my philosophy.  Definitely stay in the gratuities program.  If someone goes above and beyond recognize them with either an additional cash gift or mention them by name in the survey you receive the day you leave the ship.  Believe it or not those mentions mean more to them than a few dollars because they will result in merit raises and promotions.  And if you don't think they know you did it try doing it on a back to back cruise and wait for them to come up and thank you on the next leg.

Thank you! I will definitely do those things!  And yes I agree, I wish they would build it into the fare when everyone is expected to pay it anyways. Not sure why it isn't that way but ah well! 

I am of the group who say keep the auto gratuities in place.  It just makes it easier for us to consider that expense as part of our cruise fare.  There is a way to recognize servers, cabin stewards & other cruise workers on the navigator app: at the bottom of the screen there is an icon that says "connect," when you tap on that another screen comes up with the "let us know" option, tap that & it allows you to make a comment.  We have recognized crew members through this app many times, & they absolutely get the feed back.

Personal experience:  we had an awesome bar server on lido deck for a cruise in 2021.  Several people recognized him on the app & in the after cruise survey.  He & I became friends on a social media site.  He has gotten several promotions since that cruise & now he trains new servers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Banditswife said:

I am of the group who say keep the auto gratuities in place.  It just makes it easier for us to consider that expense as part of our cruise fare.  There is a way to recognize servers, cabin stewards & other cruise workers on the navigator app: at the bottom of the screen there is an icon that says "connect," when you tap on that another screen comes up with the "let us know" option, tap that & it allows you to make a comment.  We have recognized crew members through this app many times, & they absolutely get the feed back.

Personal experience:  we had an awesome bar server on lido deck for a cruise in 2021.  Several people recognized him on the app & in the after cruise survey.  He & I became friends on a social media site.  He has gotten several promotions since that cruise & now he trains new servers.

This is fantastic! We will make sure to do the same! (And leave gratuities in place!)

Do you also bring some extra cash to tip with?

1 minute ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

This is fantastic! We will make sure to do the same! (And leave gratuities in place!)

Yes, we bring extra cash to tip with.  But honestly we only tip above the auto gratuities when we have gotten service above & beyond the normal service.  The $16 or $17.50 per day, per person is all we usually tip.  

4 minutes ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Great attitude, yes it helps to bring extra cash. US Dollars may be preferred, but I don't think the crew will turn down Canadian dollars for additional tips (if deserved), especially if the ship stops in Canada (like Alaska sailings). 

The other issue that many may not know if that the auto-gratuities don't just go to your cabin steward(s).  There are other crewmembers that get a share of the gratuities also.  I don't recall who all gets a share--it's been listed in these forums before--but they are some behind the scenes crewmembers that support you that you may never see.

Are the gratuities pricey--definitely a yes with 4 in the cabin like you.  One way to think of the gratuities though is to just consider them part of your base cruise fare.  All but a few high-end lines charge gratuities so moving to another cruise line likely wouldn't save you much either.  Compared to its counterparts in the same price range, HAL actually has some of the lowest daily gratuity rates.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vicd1969 said:

Great attitude, yes it helps to bring extra cash. US Dollars may be preferred, but I don't think the crew will turn down Canadian dollars for additional tips (if deserved), especially if the ship stops in Canada (like Alaska sailings). 

Yes it is an Alaska cruise leaving from Vancouver, BC. 

Do people ever leave any other type of appreciative gifts for their cabin attendants? Like little gifts or? We are travelling with 2 small kids and I definitely think it might be a good idea to show a bit of extra appreciation as we all know how kids can be... lol 

2 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

The other issue that many may not know if that the auto-gratuities don't just go to your cabin steward(s).  There are other crewmembers that get a share of the gratuities also.  I don't recall who all gets a share--it's been listed in these forums before--but they are some behind the scenes crewmembers that support you that you may never see.

Are the gratuities pricey--definitely a yes with 4 in the cabin like you.  One way to think of the gratuities though is to just consider them part of your base cruise fare.  All but a few high-end lines charge gratuities so moving to another cruise line likely wouldn't save you much either.  Compared to its counterparts in the same price range, HAL actually has some of the lowest daily gratuity rates.  

Good thought too! I suppose it's similar to tips being shared with dishwashers and prep cooks at restaurants that don't get the opportunity to earn tips. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Do people ever leave any other type of appreciative gifts for their cabin attendants? Like little gifts or? We are travelling with 2 small kids and I definitely think it might be a good idea to show a bit of extra appreciation as we all know how kids can be... lol 

Certainly! - I have in the past given candy and Indonesian coffee packets to my cabin attendants as well as cash tips.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Speaking of travelling from Vancouver with 2 small kids ...

The US Customs and Immigration that you need to go through before boarding the ship in Vancouver was absolutely the longest time-wise I ever spent going through US Immigration. It took me 1.5 hours and I've heard of horror stories of more than 2 hours. Global Entry or Nexus did not matter for the line. Make sure your kids have stuff to be distracted during the wait, as wells as some snacks and water!

Just now, vicd1969 said:

Speaking of travelling from Vancouver with 2 small kids ...

The US Customs and Immigration that you need to go through before boarding the ship in Vancouver was absolutely the longest time-wise I ever spent going through US Immigration. It took me 1.5 hours and I've heard of horror stories of more than 2 hours. Global Entry or Nexus did not matter for the line. Make sure your kids have stuff to be distracted during the wait, as wells as some snacks and water!

Thanks for this tip too! I'd heard it can be a nightmare. I actually called and had our boarding time moved to the earliest time possible (Since they'll likely be up at the crack of dawn with the time change etc anyways), hoping that may help. We're packing water bottles, snacks are a good idea and I've got their tablets as my secret weapon to break out in times of need! 

2 hours ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Oh I definitely planned to tip either way! I just liked the idea of tipping directly vs a mass pool that doesn't really show the "gratitude" as much as face to face does. We'll pack a bit of extra cash for tips too! I'm sure these folks get paid absolutely minimal wage and they do go above and beyond! 

One of the advantages of the auto-grats is that you really don't have to expend any time or thought into the questions you raised as to Who?  How much?  It's been calculated out by the cruise line.  And there is no obligation to do any additional tipping beyond that, although you are certainly welcome to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Thank you! I will definitely do those things!  And yes I agree, I wish they would build it into the fare when everyone is expected to pay it anyways. Not sure why it isn't that way but ah well! 

The crew come from a variety of countries and I've heard that in some, tips are taxed at a lower rate than salary.

@Cheadle_Chick you also have the option of leaving the grats in place but not pre-paying them; they will show on your daily statement and will be billed to the card you have on record w/HAL (that you provide during online check in). Then once onboard, after you've had a chance to get a good feel for the service you're receiving, you can go Guest Services and have the amount adjusted. You can have it decreased or removed for your kiddos if that's what you feel is appropriate (you will not be met w/resistance from GS); you can also have it increased to any amount you wish if you want to tip extra but not in cash.

There are several options for handling the daily grats. Glad you agree that however you choose to pay them, they will be paid 🙂

I would also add to not forget about the hard working rock stars that provide laundry service - they do an amazing job and I think w/kids you may find that a great convenience. To me, one of the best services HAL provides. Consider sending out a final bag (or 2) at the end of the cruise - surely you guys will appreciate not doing laundry when you get home. 🙂

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

33 minutes ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

You can do this, but honestly I think they'd rather just have the cash.

• Like 4