Lunch on Embarkation Day

thorntor

Posted (edited)
On 9/3/2023 at 5:15 PM, Northern Aurora said:

TAD is the turnaround day on B2B (or longer) cruises.

If B2B guests and embarking Zeniths are not included in the Concierge Class embarkation day luncheon this is a major change indeed from past practices.  

Last month on the Edge, all B2B guests could have lunch in MDR on TAD, we had over 700 of them on our TAD. We decided to have lunch in Sydney on land. Do not know about Zeniths.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Free embarkation day lunch options on Equinox (in a non Concierge Class cabin) are the Oceanview Cafe (Buffet) or the Mast Grill (hamburgers and hot dogs etc.)  If you don’t mind a charge Sushi on 5 is often open.  If you haven’t sailed Celebrity ever or lately you now go directly to your cabin on embarkation day to collect your Sea Pass card and can drop off your carryon bags.  This has the advantage of reducing the congestion at the Buffet since everyone and their brother and all their hand luggage are no longer parked there waiting for the announcement that the cabins are open.

Correct in that it makes such a difference! I was on Royal Caribbean over Presidents' Week and their buffet was JAM PACKED! The Windjammer manager kept making announcements every 15-20 minutes for you to please free up your table if you had finished eating and that you could wait in any of the lounges. Well, ALL the lounges were full too. I kept muttering to myself (as I wandered around with my bags because I didn't want to be one of those people just sitting and taking up a table) that all this mess could be avoided if they'd do like their sister company Celebrity and allow bags to be dropped off in the cabin. I *almost* got The Key (their version of the pass Celebrity offers) just to have the ability to drop the bags off somewhere.

• Like 1

The OVC is fine (not too crowded) if you have an early boarding time and the weather isn't great. Warm and sunny? A hot dog and/or cheeseburger and fries outdoors at the Mast Grill is just fine. There's even an ice cream machine. 

On 3/7/2024 at 8:46 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Correct in that it makes such a difference! I was on Royal Caribbean over Presidents' Week and their buffet was JAM PACKED! The Windjammer manager kept making announcements every 15-20 minutes for you to please free up your table if you had finished eating and that you could wait in any of the lounges. Well, ALL the lounges were full too. I kept muttering to myself (as I wandered around with my bags because I didn't want to be one of those people just sitting and taking up a table) that all this mess could be avoided if they'd do like their sister company Celebrity and allow bags to be dropped off in the cabin. I *almost* got The Key (their version of the pass Celebrity offers) just to have the ability to drop the bags off somewhere.

There is an option to eat before boarding the ship or (a lot of people don't know this), if you're a US citizen and boarding in the US, you can usually board the ship, drop off your bags, and walk off the ship

Cruising is about making memories, having an MDR lunch most likely won't be as memorable as eating at a local restaurant

Since this thread is specifically about sailing Equinox, and I presume out of Port Everglades, there is nowhere nearby to leave the ship and have lunch.  You would need to get a taxi/Uber out of the port area…and back.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There is an option to eat before boarding the ship or (a lot of people don't know this), if you're a US citizen and boarding in the US, you can usually board the ship, drop off your bags, and walk off the ship

Cruising is about making memories, having an MDR lunch most likely won't be as memorable as eating at a local restaurant

Dosn't help of you don't have checked bags. And if you don't have a car and would prefer to not rack up taxi/Lyft/Uber charges.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 9:41 AM, doghog said:

When you first board the ship you are allowed to go to your stateroom to drop off any carryon(s). Your Seapass cards are in an envelope at your door. Take your Seapass cards with you when you leave. You are asked not linger in your stateroom until the general announcement is made that the staterooms are ready. Around 1:PM. 

So if you board the ship and go to your stateroom to pick up your card am I correct assuming you leave your carry-on luggage there while the cabin is still being cleaned?

2 hours ago, Marie51 said:

So if you board the ship and go to your stateroom to pick up your card am I correct assuming you leave your carry-on luggage there while the cabin is still being cleaned?

Yes. In my experience the rooms are usually ready even if you board with the first wave.  Maybe mid-high end suites are different.  I could also be completely clean but someone needs to vacuum it 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Marie51 said:

Our experiences is the cabins (standard balcony) are pretty much ready with the exceptions of our CC materials. If you want. I always stash my carry on (1 medium size backpack) under the bed. Any valuables I lock in the cabin safe. My wife takes hers with her. Her purse. 

Edited by doghog

11 minutes ago, doghog said:

Our experiences is the cabins (standard balcony) are pretty much ready with the exceptions of our CC materials. If you want. I always stash my carry on (1 medium size backpack) under the bed. Any valuables I lock in the cabin safe. My wife takes hers with her. Her purse. 

Thanks for the info, this is helpful. Wonderful not to have to lug your carry-on to the buffet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yes. In my experience the rooms are usually ready even if you board with the first wave.  Maybe mid-high end suites are different.  I could also be completely clean but someone needs to vacuum it 

Thanks for the info

I put my two bottles of carryon wine in the fridge and put our passports and cash in the safe.  Leave the carryon bag out in the cabin; no one else is entering the cabin except the steward.  Leave a note for the steward to please empty the fridge and off to start utilizing the beverage package at The Sunset Bar!!!

• Like 1