Ambient music depending on... what?

Nemanoxer

Found eden on apex and beyond to be beautiful to look at, but boring music from most of the acts, the chairs outside Eden are uncomfortable they are a fashion look over comfort. It gets very busy at times people crowding in Front to watch acrobats , blocking view of people sitting. 

• Like 1

We, too, have been driven from the outdoor pool to the solarium to escape for awhile, and we were not the only ones.  My husband's offer of his iPod was turned down.  He has hours of music from the 60's through today which is enjoyable and can be understood.  We are in our sixties as are many of our fellow Celebrity cruisers.  Everyone would have liked the mix. LOL  We also agree that the live music at the Martini Bar on the M and S ships has been hard to bear,

On a happier note, we have enjoyed the live music at various places on the ship, particularly at lounges and Sunset Bar.  They have been lovely.

This all makes me think that this is all part of Celebrity's desire to attract younger cruisers with more of a party feel.  😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were impressed with the music volume on Eclipse last December and hope for similar on Solstice next month.

A sound technician checked the volume prior to each set in the live music areas we frequented.

I have a sound meter on my android phone and the volume was consistently set at 80 decibels, 5 decibels lower than the level that becomes dangerous to one's hearing.

We did not notice abominably loud music in any area and unlike a previous cruise on a different ship, the sound in the theatre was well balanced and enjoyable.

If music is dangerously loud we will not stay in that area, nor will we stay with a line where entertainment crew and hotel manager are unresponsive to our concerns.

Edited by Baynanno1
additional comment
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paddypuss said:

Found eden on apex and beyond to be beautiful to look at, but boring music from most of the acts, the chairs outside Eden are uncomfortable they are a fashion look over comfort. It gets very busy at times people crowding in Front to watch acrobats , blocking view of people sitting. 

My post about the chairs outside Eden was about the chairs on the deck outside, not the chairs in the hallway leading to Eden inside.  The outside ones are just ordinary patio furniture etc.

On 8/31/2023 at 1:57 PM, davekathy said:

Our March Apex cruise was great. No issues. Music live or recorded was never too loud. 

I was Apex in March too, I don't remember any live bands or obtrusive music there, just peaceful background generic music, which fit the vibe well, especially at night. I felt the same on 4 Solstice sailings, without any loud pop or things, which I find refreshing, having a pool areas without dining tables and burger smells and all sorts of shows, like ice carving. I've been on many Princess cruises, and I get sick now of deafening movies, daytime concerts, and football games on the huge screen above the main pool area (although sometimes I wish X would show something more interesting during the day on their little lawn screens than generic, dull sports videos). Sometimes I run across pool music I like, such as Majestic Princess with a mellow soundtrack of gentle French pop in their covered Hollywood Pool area, and I always find it amusingly incongruous to hear the upbeat pop on the HAL Lido, with the rather advanced average age of people around the pool. I do sometimes find the recorded music in the Sky Lounge annoying when I'm trying to read, and even more so when they kept it playing once during the morning guided meditation. 

I have significant hearing loss. Loud background / ambient music that is just there steals whatever hearing I have left when trying to focus on the intimate conversation in front of me. DW and I are on Ascent in January, our first edge class ship. I hadn't even considered this. I hope that it's OK, or we will have to hide or use ASL.

This is a common problem. For instance, I can't order a meal in any Chipotle. Even if I am in the parking lot, I have to order on the app because their ambient music and industrial design make communications impossible. There are soooo many questions that even if I tell them exactly what I want and that I can't hear them, they still ask those rote questions they have to. 

I don’t think I enjoyed any of the music aside from silent disco, it wasn’t a big deal though since it’s not my demographic but on that particular sailing it was so rock heavy… I wish there was more light piano or soft jazz/ instruments playing…. But do take my opinion with a grain of salt since it wasn’t very memorable for me, I just remember being slightly annoyed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rj59 said:

I was Apex in March too, I don't remember any live bands or obtrusive music there, just peaceful background generic music, which fit the vibe well, especially at night. I felt the same on 4 Solstice sailings, without any loud pop or things, which I find refreshing, having a pool areas without dining tables and burger smells and all sorts of shows, like ice carving. I've been on many Princess cruises, and I get sick now of deafening movies, daytime concerts, and football games on the huge screen above the main pool area (although sometimes I wish X would show something more interesting during the day on their little lawn screens than generic, dull sports videos). Sometimes I run across pool music I like, such as Majestic Princess with a mellow soundtrack of gentle French pop in their covered Hollywood Pool area, and I always find it amusingly incongruous to hear the upbeat pop on the HAL Lido, with the rather advanced average age of people around the pool. I do sometimes find the recorded music in the Sky Lounge annoying when I'm trying to read, and even more so when they kept it playing once during the morning guided meditation. 

Same experience on Apex re no live music at pool in March 2023.  We were parked next to an older Celebrity ship at one port that did have live music on the pool deck. The two ships didn't need to coordinate since Apex didn't have anything being amplified, as I recall.  In 2022 on Edge there was a dj at main pool on occasion.  

On 9/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, Baynanno1 said:

We were impressed with the music volume on Eclipse last December and hope for similar on Solstice next month.

A sound technician checked the volume prior to each set in the live music areas we frequented.

I have a sound meter on my android phone and the volume was consistently set at 80 decibels, 5 decibels lower than the level that becomes dangerous to one's hearing.

We did not notice abominably loud music in any area and unlike a previous cruise on a different ship, the sound in the theatre was well balanced and enjoyable.

If music is dangerously loud we will not stay in that area, nor will we stay with a line where entertainment crew and hotel manager are unresponsive to our concerns.

According to my audiologist anything over 70 db will cause damage to your hearing if it is prolonged.   Anything over 5 minutes is prolonged.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

According to my audiologist anything over 70 db will cause damage to your hearing if it is prolonged.   Anything over 5 minutes is prolonged.

Sounds at or below 70 A-weighted decibels (dBA) are generally safe.

Long or repeated exposure to sounds at or above 85 dBA can cause hearing loss.

On a previous favourite line we noticed the music volume steadily increasing from around 2017. On our last cruise with that line - and I mean our last ever - volume was consistently above 85 decibels and at times up to 100 decibels. Our concerns fell on deaf ears - no pun - I am sure that many of the regular entertainment team have variable degrees of hearing loss and I really feel for bar servers who have to work shifts in the affected areas

Edited by Baynanno1

Baggy178 - Wish I had thought of that in 2018 at the San Juan Hilton both before and after our Summit cruise.   We were staying in a suite and paid quite a bit for those stays. 
The music in every part of the pool area was so loud there was no way to relax.  It was non-stop pounding noise all day. I asked management to turn it down a bit but they replied that there was a children's birthday party and it was their music so no.
The day we disembarked in San Juan and headed back to the (ugh) same hotel I was starting to feel ill.
Unfortunately there was some kind of business event in a tent by the pool that day and the music was exactly the same and they refused to turn it down.
I will never stay at that Hilton again.  It was a nightmare. 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:12 PM, Random Cruizer said:

On both Apex last summer and Beyond this summer there was music everywhere all the time, I couldn't get away from it.  I did find a place on beyond--sit out on deck outside the Eden cafe when it's closed (almost all the time)--nice seats and it's quiet, you can't hear stuff from Eden when you're outside.

Ours was a Hilton too !

One other tip when you complain to the front desk is to walk up and shout " hello can I speak to the manager ? "

When they ask why you're shouting just shout " this is the level I'm being forced to speak at because your music is too loud "

You'll be amazed how often the volume level is turned down sharpish.😉

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2023 at 7:32 PM, celebrity cruiser said:

Can I please ask which sound meter app DH has? Is it for iPhone?

Not the poster, but I use SPLnFFT Noise Meter on my iPhone.  I got it several years ago, so I don’t remember if it’s free. I wouldn’t have paid more than a token amt for it, though

Edited by JaneStarr
Typo

I think the Beyond had pretty loud music everywhere last year when I was on it .

Particulalry annoying was the music played live at the poolside and even more annoying when I was trying to watch the tennis in the world class bar the din coming from the grand plaza  area just echoed everywhere .

Anybody eating in the nearby  restaurants must have been so upset that their restaurant ambience  was lost completely .

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2023 at 3:53 PM, Baggy178 said:

Me too.

I hate unnecessary and intrusive loud music.

It's everywhere.

Malls, stores, hotels, bars, restaurants, ships, planes.

A couple of years ago I spent two days by the pool at a hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

On the first day I 

discreetly ripped out every external loudspeaker around the pool and gardens.

There were 15 of them.

A few ended up in the adjacent waterway.

I left one unharmed near the outdoor bar area so no staff member would notice and amazingly no-one did. 

In restaurants before I even look at the menu I ask for the music to be turned down - if it's not I walk out.

I once took a holiday company to court and won the cost of my holiday back after staff by the pool of a Turkish hotel played the same Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD on shuffle by the pool very loudly for 10 hours every day.

Even now the sound of  Californication stirs grim memories.

Every day it's a screeching and mostly rap music onslaught on our sensibilities.

I fight back with every means I have and ripping out wires from loudspeakers is, in my opinion, perfectly justifiable.

Rant over.

According to "research" background music makes us happy, calm, more productive and buy more stuff.  Nearly all of the time it drives me crazy.  https://blog.thymebase.com/the-science-behind-background-music-for-events/

On 9/23/2023 at 1:57 PM, jo-b said:

Not sure if the sound will work on this. This is the live band on Apex pool deck today it was LOUD! 

What are those cushioned chairs to the left of the pool that seem to be totally empty and not reserved?

When do they start playing Billy Idol?

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What are those cushioned chairs to the left of the pool that seem to be totally empty and not reserved?

When do they start playing Billy Idol?

Settees anyone can use, but no one was?