Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

Jim I always enjoy following along on your cruise adventures, as you provide your feedback and experiences with such a positive outlook and attitude. I look forward to your impressions of a new cruise line in comparison to your Celebrity cruise experiences. We too were loyal Celebrity cruisers who are looking around for the first time at different cruise options, due to Celebrity suite pricing and downgrades in food quality and service. Have a GREAT cruise! 

• Like 2

Looking forward to following another great @Jim_Iain live thread. Like many here have already said we are jumping ship with Celebrity and looking and booking with other lines. We only have booked Sky Suites on Celebrity and with all the negative changes and huge price increases this year we have been forced by X to abandon ship. We no longer want to sail the Caribbean and that seems to be the direction of X with more 7 day and less cruises from Florida.  X should be very concerned when a Double Zenith like you and Lain are looking outside of X. We are looking at Oceania (already booked), Seabourne and Regent for our future travels. Your Ponant cruise itinerary is on our bucket list and I will be interested in your cruise, we have been looking at Viking for the Great Lakes as well.

• Like 2

Jim, Looking forward to your new adventure. At least you get to check out a new product, not so far from home! 

Think you and Lain may enjoy the QM2. I did a 10 day to the Caribbean on the QM2. I was in an inside cabin, in regular dining room, and had a great time. It was many years ago and a very different experience for this Loyal to Royal. And a lover of Celebrity!

• Like 1

I will be fun to find out if the changes at Celebrity are endemic of changes in the cruise industry or unique to Celebrity's new Management.

I will try to keep this upbeat and not a Groan and Moan about Celebrity.    I  think there has been way too much of this recently on the Celebrity Board.   

Some of the comparisons are also things like - perks, communication, passenger mix, food, drink, entertainment etc. 

How refreshing after all the negative posts! I have always learned from and enjoyed reading about the travels of you and Iain. Thank you for taking the time to do a live thread.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have cautiously looked at Crystal.   I had a booking with them when they went belly up and wasn't pleased how difficult they made it to be reimbursed.   KInda left a sour taste in my mind.

I heard from some friends they were on Equinox with you either last week or this week.

The same thing happened to us with Crystal and we canceled before they declared bankruptcy. I had to get a refund through my credit card. However, we did cruise with Crystal once in 2019 on a Mediterranean cruise and it was magical. I didn't think I'd go back to them after the issues a couple of years ago, but I'm feeling good about the new ownership -- and it was a lovely ship.  Crystal has a great price right now on their December sailings in the Caribbean and we are trying it again!  Think about it...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

I have also been following your cruises and reviews over the years. We even went to a restaurant in Buenos Aires you recommended and it was fabulous as you said. I will be interested in hearing your review on Ponant although probably out of our price range. We are also fairly loyal to Celebrity but are branching out and trying Oceania in March. 

Also:  go to Africa. It is incredible. We went to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe a year ago and there is nothing like it. 

When you mentioned that Restaurant in Buenos Aires, I started salivating.    We were planning to return on 12/2024 but as you know Celebrity cancelled their deployment to Buenos Aires.  

I think Africa may be on the agenda sooner rather than later. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Somehow, I think you'll be okay.

If not, I'll do my very best to try to muster up some sympathy. 😉

Alas, I think I've had my last cruise with you and Iain (Summit for 2 last August/September). I hope you will love this new chapter!

You are right.    We are definitely the Glass Half Full type of traveler.   We always try to find a silver lining.    

Yes -  Summit just about a year ago today.    That was one of our favorite cruises. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  I am looking forward to reading about your experience with a new cruise line.  

We are also thinking of jumping ship and after reading Charla’s post about her experiences on MSC, that may be where we will go next.  We still have our 13 day Best of Japan cruise on Millennium next May.  However for the first time in years that is the only cruise we have booked. 

We also had only one cruise booked until today, which is so odd as usually we have at least three to look forward to.  Our experience on Beyond and Summit in suites this past spring was fine, but in addition to the changes, I'm tired of the same ports.  This week I moved our very expensive January Equinox cruise in a sky suite to a March cruise in a deluxe veranda on Silhouette.  The port stops include Barbados, which we haven't been to since before Covid. The deluxe veranda with perks is quite a bit less than half the price of the sky suite. I would have booked an aqua suite, but I'm using some of the $1500 price difference between DV and AQ to book a few specialty restaurants.

In recent years, we have typically booked sky suites (or Royal on Summit) but one of the best cruises we've had recently was in a veranda last August on Equinox.  The Main Dining Room staff were wonderful and the food was good to very good.  We also just booked a December 7-day on Crystal Serenity.  I'm getting excited again.

Jim, I hope you love Ponant and that you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lallak1 said:

Jim, I’ve just recently starting following your live posts, and have enjoyed them immensely. I live in Milwaukee, so if you are coming in early and need some recommendations, I’d be happy to help!

Thanks -    We will be flying in a day early and plan on seeing your beautiful city.   I hate to say that as much planning as I do, I often don't do any planning on the Embarkation and Disembarkation ports.  

Last night I was watching a couple videos on the best things to do and see in Milwaukee.   Since I will have to get my 10 mile walk in I was looking at the Waterfront from Piehead Lighthouse to Lake Park.   

• Like 1

Jim, as you know, your post on the Ponant board about its status match policy saved me $3,550 on my upcoming Antarctic voyage in February.  =X= cruisers take note that Ponant matches Elite + with its Admiral tier, which offers a nice discount, free laundry and $100 OBC.  

Jim, May I please have the name of the Buenos Aires restaurant?

Thanks again for all you do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Thank you for sharing what you have discovered and going to try.  I look forward to your experiences and perception 

DH and I have been loyal X, but the idiotic frenzy and cuts have made us decide to look to go forward, taking a look at other lines and, land based vacay.   (latter we know we can do a whole lot cheaper in 5* resorts).   

A hard decision as we too have loved X and what it once represented 

CEO’ s if you read this Forum, do you realize you are losing many long time x ers that HAVE the money to travel, want to, love X, but not at the cuts and ridiculous prices …for less ???

I've thought the same think.   I realize new CEO's have to put their mark on the spot but all the recent changes seem like they are trying to drive their most loyal customers away.    I have heard from so many 20 + year loyal customers who are finally opening their eyes to the world.    Once the cat's out of the bag it is impossible to get that loyalty back.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Four hours since your post and it's already 3 pages deep.  I better hurry and catch up !

Looking forward to your comparison as I am mostly only interested in smaller ships now but wonder if Ponant would be a good fit.

It is so nice to see all of our regulars back.    I have to admit I go through withdraws at the end of a Live post.

We are similar to you.   My biggest concern initially was that with such a small ship what if there's a really offensive passenger aboard.    On this small of a ship it will be hard to avoid.   I've been assured by many on the Ponant board that it is easy to find separation.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

We will not be far behind you in looking at other lines, we have 2 weeks Madien Voyage on the Ascent in December, booked on Transatlantic on Apex next May but just booked a 31 day cruise for after with Viking. With the changes made this year, being Zenith and only traveling in Suites, switched this year from our usual Celebrity Suite to Sky Suites, we have lost many things. Our dedicated Butler, Evan water, mini bar filled, loss of tips included and loss of on board credit. Now, the only advantage to being Zenith is free laundry.  Over 21 years we have been loyal to Celebrity, but we want our vacations to be worth the price we are paying, and unfortunately we probably will be parting ways also. Glad we have had the opportunity to sail with you both. 

Thanks Bev and Bruce -

You mirror our exact thoughts.   If we are having to double pay for the benefits might as well move on.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  I am looking forward to reading about your experience with a new cruise line.  

We are also thinking of jumping ship and after reading Charla’s post about her experiences on MSC, that may be where we will go next.  We still have our 13 day Best of Japan cruise on Millennium next May.  However for the first time in years that is the only cruise we have booked. 

I still have some cruises booked with Celebrity through 2024 but have some holes to fill and definitely looking at new adventures.    MSC and Viking are also on the list. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

When you mentioned that Restaurant in Buenos Aires, I started salivating.    We were planning to return on 12/2024 but as you know Celebrity cancelled their deployment to Buenos Aires.  

I think Africa may be on the agenda sooner rather than later. 

When Celebrity cancelled the 2025 SA cruises we booked an 18 day cruise on Oceania Marina and saved money. We now go from Santiago to Buenos Aires.

Edited by terrydtx

12 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jim, so looking forward to hearing about this cruise.  I too am looking around, Celebrity has priced me out of suites.  I'm trying an ordinary balcony cabin (well, one with a larger balcony) for my Thanksgiving cruise on the Silhouette--will see how that goes.  I love your itinerary.  I have several good friends in Milwaukee I could visit prior to that cruise.

Thanks Linda.

I also really liked the itinerary and really look forward to exploring the Lakes.   I've been having fun the past week.    I have been track both Le Belot and Le Dumont d'Urville who will be doing a couple cruises on this route. 

One thing Ponat have that I love is they have WebCams on all their ships.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Linda, it is so nice to see you. I was wondering about you, as I have not seen any posts by you in a while. Maybe I have just not been in the right threads. Anyway, I'm glad you're still around here. 

-------

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Jim and Iain aficionado thread. 

As usual.   Nothing is off topic and it is so fun to see our family back together.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm going to need to go look for Charla's review. We've never done the Caribbean, and it's not a high priority, but I do appreciate my fellow Gen-Xer's point of view.

Her budget is WAY bigger than mine, however, her perspective is intriguing and her writing style is fun. 

Thanks to everyone who shares their experiences and alternatives to X. We are cruising newbies compared to most folks here, but we have sailed quite a bit in recent years, and on Celebrity more than with anyone else  We have more days booked with them than anyone else. Nonetheless, I am becoming disillusioned, like many others. 

I have so much respect for @generation-x Charla.    She is so confident and happy to travel alone as well as create adventures for Jeremy and Generation Y. 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, abbydancer said:

It's only 8 days, and then you can be done.  But you'll probably enjoy it.  I hope yo do.

Glen & I are on Royal Caribbean for 6 days just before we do our Apex cruise in December.  I told him that if we hate it, it's only 6 days (on what might be the worlds largest cruise ship).  We can put up with anything for 6 days.   Next year, we'll do one on Azamara.

Have fun.  We' leave for Quebec for 10 days on Princess, where we will have to pay to order food from the app, I think.  

Abby -  I'm sure you and Glen will love Quebec.    Last year we did a Boston to Quebec and back.    We had a real treat.   We booked a guide via Tours by Locals.   Something came up and he had to cancel but suggested a friend that was not a regular guide.   Our Guide ended up being a guy that runs a business mostly for shuttle movie starts and entertainers to and from their sets.   Montreal is a big filming town.     He was so proud of his city he ran 2 hours over and showed us things we would never have found.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

Looking forward to your comparison Jim.  My husband is interested in learning about Ponant after a friend had a cruise booked with them.  I didn't even think about the fact staff may be French, or speak French...I flunked French when I studied it for my HSC in Australia....at least my husband speaks what he jokingly calls "Franglaise" - he spoke French fluently up until 5 years of age.

From reading a number of Ponant Live Posts it seem the PAX are often very French intensive or about 50/50 English and French Speaking.   They say they do a good job and tours are broken up as Francophile / Anglophile.     Some say that since they do all briefings in both language it does take awhile. 

I was chuckling at your Franglaise comment.    I use to work for a Swedish Software company and often the programmers comments in the Source Code were in Swinglish

• Haha 1

It took me until page 4, but I'm in!!

Like so many others, we are looking at some other lines. As my DW and I have thought about it, the main X factor deterring us from booking them is the Retreat price (ok, also how us cancelled-TA folks were cast aside).  We really enjoy the E-class Retreat experience. 

Looks like an MSC YC and an Oceania cruise will be the next two we book, just trying to decide when and where. With my wife's mobility issues, we don't want a really port intensive itinerary -- its not feasible to get off at all of them. My guess is Oceania will be a TA or Panama Canal. We shall see.

Anyway, looking forward to another Jim & Iain review !!!!

mac_tlc

• Like 2