Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

Very surprised that your Grill reservation is without gratuities and drinks.   Just checked the Cunard site and it still shows that Grill fares are inclusive.

In December the area that was the Godiva Cafe no longer had that name.   Still served tea and pastries all day including a great lemon tart.

On 9/1/2023 at 6:52 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I was a bit concerned with the French Speaking issues some have had but I understand they are pretty good at accommodating both English / French speaking guests.     I do have to admit my favorite Cuisine is French so that's a positive.

Iain speaks French fluently so at least he can help if necessary.

We've been on 2 Ponant cruises: the first was Shmandemic cruise (March 8-24, 2020, Le Soleal "sistership" class - 264 guests max (there were 175), from Eastern Island to Tahiti); and the second was June 26 - July 10, Le Bougainville "explorer" class - 184 guests max (there were 130), from Nice to Istanbul (France, Italy including Sicily, Greek Islands).  Due to 2020-2022 world madness, it's very hard to judge Ponant (as any cruise line), since so many cuts occurred on all of cruise lines including any luxury one (Regent, Seabourn, and alike).  I don't want to go over negative aspects; therefore, overall, if I imagine pre-2020 Ponant cruising combined with our 2 cruises' experience after subtracting all post-2020 damages, I will say that Ponant is exceptional in many aspects (including French influence) and not comparable with Celebrity (we had 8 Celebrity cruises since 2004 including 2 of them in December 2021 and February - March 2022).

Edited by kirtihk

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm off to pick up my Daughter, Alison who lives about 1 1/2 hours away so we can celebrate her birthday before I leave.

She is mobility challenged and finds it difficult to drive.    She's my miracle baby and has survived 3 fatal disease and has flourished.     I know we should never show favoritism toward our children but after living in double door isolation with her for 2 months she definitely has a special place in my heart.

It's perfectly okay to have a favorite child.

In fact, I have three of them. 

• Haha 4

just found your review, and caught up with all of the precruise info.

So looking forward to following you and reading about your impression of a new line.  I was born and raised in France but have lived in the US longer now than I did in France, and Ponant was never on my radar, it sure is now.

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Have read this thread and the one you are doing on Ponant Forum.

Welcome to the Midwest.  Our weather will be perfect this weekend when you fly into MSP airport.  Enjoy Milwaukee. and do  have a German dinner. My son went to Marquette University so I got to know some of the city during those years. I look forward to your cruise on a Great Lake  and on a French owned ship.

I sailed Celebrity for many years. Loved the M class ships. Then booked a Viking Ocean and have found my new favorite cruise line. It too is European  owned ; love  their service, ship design,  food and  their emphasis on the history of the  area you are visiting  and having a resident historian on board. 

I can feel your excitement about your new adventure , happy for you both.

Thank you.    I am happy that the weather will be so nice.   I was a little worried when I saw the heat spell you had last week.

We must be bringing our Bay Area weather with us - we live about a mile from the bay and get nice breezes off it and keeps our temps in the 70's.   We rarely need to turn on our AC.

Milwaukee looks perfect for doing a lot of exploring,  

image.png.f39f1a768b1d22232d3a021906598545.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swjumbo said:

It’s full size bottles. We had a Cunard red wine and a Queen’s gin. 

When you finish them they ask what you’d like them replaced with. Mixers (Fever Tree) came whenever we wanted.

Also, and I got told off on the Cunard forum for this but….. you get the same table every night.

We’re not bothered by sea views when we eat but do like to be on our own. The Grills are quite tightly packed and if your new friends on either side of you aren’t to your taste then you’re stuck.

The reason I got told off is that a Cunard regular, who we met on the Silhouette, told us to give the Maitre d’ a discreet tip when we first arrived. We asked him to be seated in a table away from the masses. 

We were given a lovely corner and had a ball with amazing staff. Best few bucks I spent as our original table would have been hard work seeing who we were a going to be a few inches from!

Nice to hear.    Like you we aren't bothered by having or not having a window table.  I'll keep that in mind.   One thing I do like about Celebrity Luminae is you  have the same Waiter and Assistant Waiter every night regardless of where you are seated. 

On 9/5/2023 at 10:25 AM, PaulaW said:

Hi Jim,

I have been following many of your previous “LIVE” posts, but have never posted.  Thank you for all the great information.

I am a native Buffalonian and along with my husband (who lived in the Niagara region of Ontario for years), we are very familiar with the area.  Please let me know if you have any questions or need any suggestions about what to do in Port Colborne.  I would highly recommend Niagara-on-the-Lake and the surrounding wineries.  

Also, when is the ship due to transit the Welland Canal?  We drove over to see one of the Viking ships transit last month and it was a fascinating experience.  We would love to see your ship and wave, schedule permitting!

Thanks much.   What is funny is that I was born in Syracuse while my father was finishing his Masters.    I have only seen it once since when driving by decided to get off and take a look around.    5 minutes later I was back on the Interstate.

For Port Colborne we have booked the Tour to Niagra Falls and Wellard Canal.   Iain has never been to the falls before so sure he will be amazed.

I just looked at a map and I guess we will have to pass through the Wellard Canal in order to get to Toronto ---  My geography can be so bad,  I'm glad you prompted me to look.   

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, JackE said:

Hi Jim, we live in Manhattan and let me know if I can help in any way! Theatre tickets, restaurant recs, etc. We can't wait to try a TA on the QM2. So exciting!

I was watching some YouTubes last night and discovered that Cunard depart out of Brooklyn.    That may have a bearing on we stay.    I had just "ASSUMED" it departed from Manhattan.   I'm sure we will learn as we start really researching the cruise further. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but you must watch Gary Bembridge on YouTube. He’s a Cunard fan.

We didn’t realise that in a suite when you finish a bottle it gets replenished!

Have a great trip and thank you for your enjoyable posts.

Just looked and I have already been watching a number of his Videos.  

Thanks for the information on the free bottles in Queens Grill rooms.   That will be a real treat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swjumbo said:

It’s full size bottles. We had a Cunard red wine and a Queen’s gin. 

When you finish them they ask what you’d like them replaced with. Mixers (Fever Tree) came whenever we wanted.

Also, and I got told off on the Cunard forum for this but….. you get the same table every night.

We’re not bothered by sea views when we eat but do like to be on our own. The Grills are quite tightly packed and if your new friends on either side of you aren’t to your taste then you’re stuck.

The reason I got told off is that a Cunard regular, who we met on the Silhouette, told us to give the Maitre d’ a discreet tip when we first arrived. We asked him to be seated in a table away from the masses. 

We were given a lovely corner and had a ball with amazing staff. Best few bucks I spent as our original table would have been hard work seeing who we were a going to be a few inches from!

That's wonderful to hear.   Now I wonder if we should have had our agent to upgrade us to the All Perks.      It actually seemed like a good deal with the $800 OBC -   Drink packages make it so convenient.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was watching some YouTubes last night and discovered that Cunard depart out of Brooklyn.    That may have a bearing on we stay.    I had just "ASSUMED" it departed from Manhattan.   I'm sure we will learn as we start really researching the cruise further. 

It's fairly easy for us  to access, for us  it's a limo ride from Long Island.  I would still rec asking if Cunard has any pre cruise hotel packages.. 

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I am interested to hear if there is much of a difference to your ride on the great lakes vs on the ocean. I have been told that it is a different animal.

Enjoy your time with your daughter! As a father of two, I can't imagine going through that. My son had open heart surgery when he was five months old and that was hard enough. Now he is 30 years old, just picked up his masters in education and loves teaching.

So happy things worked out for you son   I"m sure you are so proud of him.   

My son is the youngest of my 3 and he was a challenge and we always thought of him as "Least Likely to Succeed"     He has surprised us and become the one have grown the most and propably the Best Father to 4 kids than I could have imagined.    I am so proud of him.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain was telling me last night that I seem more excited than I have ever been for a cruise.   I think he's correct.     Until I started this thread it seemed so far away and suddenly Bam..

Iain is right, your energy levels in these posts are way up there, and it is great to see !

Going to be a memorable cruise for all of us that you are generously sharing your time with on this thread.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hcat said:

I know,   but if one goes off plan  too often one may  live shorter!  I am still on Metformin with sugars in range after many yrs!

Of course, I do allow for one IGLU and a fru fru drink a few times  per cruise,  and amaretta and baileys ( after dinner).

Not a dessert person but would def  weaken for a chocolate buffet!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DTR.

Our daughtert is a  BRAVE SURVIVOR

Our grandsons are special  gifts.

Live each day !

I have to say that my downfall is Ice Cream and Gelato.   While  I don't drink I love the smell of Ameretto I could just sit there and sniff it for hours... LOL.....

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Very surprised that your Grill reservation is without gratuities and drinks.   Just checked the Cunard site and it still shows that Grill fares are inclusive.

In December the area that was the Godiva Cafe no longer had that name.   Still served tea and pastries all day including a great lemon tart.

I think it has to do with a special fare our Agent had.    He has revised it  and now we have all inclusive.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kirtihk said:

We've been on 2 Ponant cruises: the first was Shmandemic cruise (March 8-24, 2020, Le Soleal "sistership" class - 264 guests max (there were 175), from Eastern Island to Tahiti); and the second was June 26 - July 10, Le Bougainville "explorer" class - 184 guests max (there were 130), from Nice to Istanbul (France, Italy including Sicily, Greek Islands).  Due to 2020-2022 world madness, it's very hard to judge Ponant (as any cruise line), since so many cuts occurred on all of cruise lines including any luxury one (Regent, Seabourn, and alike).  I don't want to go over negative aspects; therefore, overall, if I imagine pre-2020 Ponant cruising combined with our 2 cruises' experience after subtracting all post-2020 damages, I will say that Ponant is exceptional in many aspects (including French influence) and not comparable with Celebrity (we had 8 Celebrity cruises since 2004 including 2 of them in December 2021 and February - March 2022).

Thanks for your perspective.   I know there are no similarities of a 184 PAX ship to anything Celebrity has to offered with possible exception of their Galapagos ships.   

I'm going into this with a bit of excitement and looking forward to an adventure. 

Our friends from Australia have been on 3 Ponant Cruises this year and will be joining us for the Singapore to Sydney  on Edge.   The have sailed Celebrity a number of times and really prefer Ponant.  

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

It's perfectly okay to have a favorite child.

In fact, I have three of them. 

I must be wicked.    I also have a favorite Grandson.    I would never let but each child is soooooo different. 

Remind me of you name --- or should I just call you Mamma

11 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Iain is right, your energy levels in these posts are way up there, and it is great to see !

Going to be a memorable cruise for all of us that you are generously sharing your time with on this thread.

Thanks Mark......I'm sure is will be memorable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say that my downfall is Ice Cream and Gelato.   While  I don't drink I love the smell of Ameretto I could just sit there and sniff it for hours... LOL.....

they sell amaretto flavor candy  cookies and panetone ( ital cake).

another liquer I like is Sabra..Israeli..with orange flavor..hard to get where we live so I mske it last as long as possible

you are causing me to binge..in my mind!   (not much of a drinker..alc conflicts with my meds..)

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have the same downfall…… Ice Cream and Gelato. Where we differ is after sniffing the Ameretto a couple of times I would pour it over the Ice Cream! Lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not dissimilar to the Bay Area, it's really just a taxi/Uber ride away, so you can stay anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn. You might consider Battery Park or lower Manhattan. 

Ok -- Emilliano (Millie) is my youngest Grandchild and the favorite.   When I was helping remodel my Son's house -   He was my left hand and would get down on the floor with me to measure and cut Plaster Board.

IMG_4251.thumb.jpeg.e96f457d861a850862ef15a624abba0f.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 21

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I must be wicked.    I also have a favorite Grandson.    I would never let but each child is soooooo different. 

Remind me of you name --- or should I just call you Mamma

I literally call each kid "My favorite" in front of the others. One will say or do something, and I'll say. "That's why you're my favorite." They'll all be home for a holiday, and I'll walk into the room and say, "Hi, Favorite Kid!" They'll ask "Which one?" and I'll reply, "You know which one." Or they'll say, "It's me, right?" I answer, "Of course!"  It has been a running joke for years. 

I was the only girl in my generation until I was 20. One of my grandmothers delighted in calling me her favorite granddaughter until my first and only girl cousin came along. That cousin now has a four year-old  who is the closest thing I've got to a grandchild, and there are no signs of that changing. I spoil the child accordingly. 

You can call me Mama or Donna. Either is fine. I've also been known to respoind to "Hey, you!" 

• Like 1