Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say that my downfall is Ice Cream and Gelato.   While  I don't drink I love the smell of Ameretto I could just sit there and sniff it for hours... LOL.....

Hi Jim. Enjoying following along, as always.

Mark just had Amaretto flavored ice cream last night at a small shop in Nags Head, NC. Delicious - best of both worlds and no alcohol.

Kay

49 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Ha.  We did a CA coastal on Princess last year.  In SF, we had friends who'd we met on a previous Princess cruise, pick us up, and they met the challenge of showing us something we'd never seen - who knew there were buffalo in Golden Gate Park?  At the end of the day I pointed out that it's less than 1/2 hour each to meet halfway for dinner.  (And we do that occasionally).

By the way, if you get to a Grocery store in Toronto, and they have Dare Maple creme cookies, I'll forever be in your debt if you bring me a box.

Dare maple cream cookies are good; even better are the maple cream cookies at Farm Boy!

• Like 1

I’m just on page one and have a lot to catch up with. So, forgive me if this has been mentioned.  I noticed you said Africa is in the bucket list. Holland America has a 73 day circle Africa cruise that leaves in October. Too late for this year I’m sure ☺️ But, I’m not sure how often they offer it. From what I’ve seen, it looks like every couple years. I have looked at it a few times as it’s also a dream cruise for me. Right now, not enough time and not enough money but hopefully one day. 

looking forward to your live review. I’ll work on catching up now. 

IMG_2719.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andi Land said:

I’m just on page one and have a lot to catch up with. So, forgive me if this has been mentioned.  I noticed you said Africa is in the bucket list. Holland America has a 73 day circle Africa cruise that leaves in October. Too late for this year I’m sure ☺️ But, I’m not sure how often they offer it. From what I’ve seen, it looks like every couple years. I have looked at it a few times as it’s also a dream cruise for me. Right now, not enough time and not enough money but hopefully one day. 

IMG_2719.jpeg

They did that last year, gets back just as the world cruise is starting.  But I don’t see it for next year.  EM

• Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 2:17 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Iain and I will be embarking on our first Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 years a week from today.  

We have been very satisfied with Celebrity and never seen a need to cruise another line because Celebrity was a perfect match for us.   Celebrity has made some major changes in the past 1 1/2- 2 Years and finally reached the point for us to say -  Loyalty is a two way street.    Kinda like catching your spouse cheating we have come to conclude it is  time for a trail separation and possibly a divorce.   

It may take me awhile to get sorted out on how I am going to post a comparison between Ponant and Celebrity and Live Post at the same time.    Ponant is a  totally different products.

Ponant's Cruise Critic Forum https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/846-ponant/  is also very different to the very popular and free ranging Celebrity Forum.   Ponant's forum is only 15 pages long and their are no Roll Calls.      Most live post only run 1 or 2 pages and have very little banter.   For this reason I want to be respectful of their Forum and at the same time

drive some of you to visit Ponant's Forum and understand their product offering.

Jim,

Just returned to the US and saw you live review. As always looking forward to following your and lian’s travels.

Absolutely love your analogy 😂😂!

All the best….

@Jim_Iainif you prefer to stay downtown T. then try the Omni King Edward. Great location, walkable to  many sites and generally  much better rates than the Royal York ,Ritz or

Shangri La. 

St Regis - great location also better rates than some of the others.

Im not sure when you plan on being in T. but TIFF is  7-17th September so rates all over the city will be at a premium.

Edited by dock

I had never heard of Ponant until they bought Paul Gauguin.  I remember when the Covid hit a lot of folks were upset about the refunds.  Hopefully, they will take care of folks now.  🙂

Edited by Texed

14 hours ago, LisaLeone said:

Jim, we were living in Grand Island NY that year, the island surrounded by the Niagara river. I remember seeing that and being fascinated. I hope this time will more than make up for it!

I'm sure it will.   I wish they had scheduled time so that we could take the boat ride under the falls.    While very wet looks like fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Host Jazzbeau who is the moderator of the Ponant thread has really been helpful.   She is not only always there to help out but corrected a misconception I had.

I thought that the smaller ships of Ponant did not have Stabilizer.  They not only have stabilizers but have dynamic fins that adapt to the ships movement. 

image.thumb.png.44ac361433346b2e95fa092bfe8cacb0.png

They have a really good brochure on Myth's of Sailing

https://escales.ponant.com/en/preconceived-ideas-about-cruises/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hcat said:

like climbing out of  rut?

been great til now but time to explore!

Kinda like breaking up a long time marriage, I felt compelled to write Andrea Shey a short note last night.    She is truly a professional and has always been so helpful. 

My e-mail wasn't one of those complaint letters but just my thoughts and regrets that things have changed so much that we were forced to look elsewhere.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Ha.  We did a CA coastal on Princess last year.  In SF, we had friends who'd we met on a previous Princess cruise, pick us up, and they met the challenge of showing us something we'd never seen - who knew there were buffalo in Golden Gate Park?  At the end of the day I pointed out that it's less than 1/2 hour each to meet halfway for dinner.  (And we do that occasionally).

By the way, if you get to a Grocery store in Toronto, and they have Dare Maple creme cookies, I'll forever be in your debt if you bring me a box.

Will look for them.    I've had some before but not sure if they were Dare brand.

14 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

that’s really cool. I’d love to see your area one day. 

I think Toronto lacked infrastructure. I grew up in London so when my husband (from Toronto) took me on the subway the first time I looked at the map and asked where the rest of it was 😬

But I also spent every summer going from London to Glasgow on train to visit my aunt. Even now I could get from London to the Scottish highlands (Invergordon) to see my family without a car. So to me I have high expectations for certain cities and transport. 

Wow... Invergordon.    We were diverted there earlier this year due to a storm in the Shetlands that forced the captain to cancel our stop.     We had a fantastic time there but really were disappointed to no get to the Shetlands.    It was the main reason Iain wanted to take that cruise.

14 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Hi Jim. Enjoying following along, as always.

Mark just had Amaretto flavored ice cream last night at a small shop in Nags Head, NC. Delicious - best of both worlds and no alcohol.

Kay

Kay -  that sounds incredible.    I love Ice Cream of all flavors and looking forward to Ponant as they have available all day.  

13 hours ago, Andi Land said:

Wow... that's an incredible voyge.     Will look at it closer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow... Invergordon.    We were diverted there earlier this year due to a storm in the Shetlands that forced the captain to cancel our stop.     We had a fantastic time there but really were disappointed to no get to the Shetlands.    It was the main reason Iain wanted to take that cruise.

I can understand wanting to go, it's very remote so not the easiest to get to and the seas there are rough - I've been to John O'Groats at the end of the mainland and was super windy (just like Land's end the other side of the UK). 

My uncle who is from Glasgow moved the family to Invergordon, he was a chief engineer and used to work on ships/oil rigs around the world then did the oil rigs out of Scotland and the north sea so he was telling me about how bad the seas can get up there.

9 hours ago, expattraveler said:

Jim,

Just returned to the US and saw you live review. As always looking forward to following your and lian’s travels.

Absolutely love your analogy 😂😂!

All the best….

Fantastic to have you along.    Were you away on a Cruise?    While it is always fun to be away It is always nice to get back to you own bed.

3 hours ago, dock said:

@Jim_Iainif you prefer to stay downtown T. then try the Omni King Edward. Great location, walkable to  many sites and generally  much better rates than the Royal York ,Ritz or

Shangri La. 

St Regis - great location also better rates than some of the others.

Im not sure when you plan on being in T. but TIFF is  7-17th September so rates all over the city will be at a premium.

I had to use my best friend Mr Google -  for other TIFF is the Toronto International Film Festival.  Appears to be a really big event.

We will be in Toronto 18th -21st.    Looks like we just missed it by a day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texed said:

I had never heard of Ponant until they bought Paul Gauguin.  I remember when the Covid hit a lot of folks were upset about the refunds.  Hopefully, they will take care of folks now.  🙂

I knew there was a relationship between Paul Gauguin and Ponant but didn't realize they bought her.   Thy periodically do Paul Gauguin charters on Ponant much like Smithsonian. 

I'm always amazed and the wealth of knowledge here on CC.  

8 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I can understand wanting to go, it's very remote so not the easiest to get to and the seas there are rough - I've been to John O'Groats at the end of the mainland and was super windy (just like Land's end the other side of the UK). 

My uncle who is from Glasgow moved the family to Invergordon, he was a chief engineer and used to work on ships/oil rigs around the world then did the oil rigs out of Scotland and the north sea so he was telling me about how bad the seas can get up there.

Iain and his sister as Scots have hit many of the islands and were really looking forward to the Shetlands.    I guess it is know for wild weather.

I'm sure you must miss Scotland.   One of the reasons we settled on the Cunard TA was that it would give us a chance to head to Scotland and visit his family prior to our return TA out of Barcelona.    It will be the first time we won't fly to Europe for a cruise.   I think I could get accustomed to that.

• Like 4

Differences -

Embarkation seems to be very different -   Unlike Celebrity where you select an arrival time and do all your check-in on line,   They have open boarding between 4-5 PM and we set sail at 6PM.      The challenge of course will be having to check out of hotel at 11:00 and storing our luggage.   So far we also don't have much in the way of boarding passes or luggage tags.  

I'm sure it will be smooth

• Like 1

As my excitement grows I start checking in on things

Milwaukee Weather -   Staying perfect but reminds me to bring some warmer clothing.  A couple sweaters and puffer should do.  

image.thumb.png.e4cbac8b894e510bae0a6a5a3e90215a.png

Next ---- Where's Le Bellot today - 

She is in Perry Sound, Ontario for the day -

image.thumb.png.c6a6fd718f2612741e1aa0af2beafb58.png

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

@Host Jazzbeau who is the moderator of the Ponant thread has really been helpful.   She is not only always there to help out but corrected a misconception I had.

Thanks, but ... He.  My DW is Jazzbelle and I'm her 'beau.'

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I really wish I could drink.    It triggers migraines and just not worth the suffering.    My doctor finally found a drug (looks like a narccam injector) as long as I use it in a 20 minute window it knocks them out before they begin.  

My main trigger is when the Barometric pressure drops suddenly.    Luckily monitoring the pressures on Weatherunderground,  Milwaukee just dropped to a low of 29.65 and a high is building in for the next 5 days or so.

Once again happily following along on another of your adventures!

Excited you will be visiting our hometown of Milwaukee, if only briefly. Looks like we will be having some great weather for you over the weekend! Sooo much better that the 90s and high humidity we have had much of the last 2 weeks.

Your hotel in Milwaukee is nice and in a great location for you to explore. It is right on the Milwaukee riverwalk. 4 blocks north on 3rd st is the only remaining true old school German restaurant, Mader's, but there are many wonderful restaurants around the downtown area. 8 blocks east on Wisconsin avenue is the lakefront and the Milwaukee Art Museum with its one-of-a-kind addition designed by Santiago Calatrava. It has a winglike Brise Soleil, which is opened and closed daily at 10am and noon, weather permitting. 

Enjoy!

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure you must miss Scotland.   One of the reasons we settled on the Cunard TA was that it would give us a chance to head to Scotland and visit his family prior to our return TA out of Barcelona.    It will be the first time we won't fly to Europe for a cruise.   I think I could get accustomed to that.

I do miss it, I lived in London until 25 but I spent my summers in Scotland. I used to love going back to London but my dad died when I was 14, my mum in 2017 and her brother in 2018. As an only child I don't have much left for London all my mum's family are in Scotland so that's where I go if not on a cruise. My dad was 48 when I was born so I don't really know much on his family other than he was the youngest of 7 and family came from Ireland. I'd like to do a cruise for UK and Ireland to go to places I've not been, especially Cork as that's where my dad's side is from.

1 hour ago, Texed said:

Ponant gave us 75% refund for our Shmandemic cruise - 12-day March 8-20 on Le Soleal, Eastern Island to Tahiti that became cruise to nowhere and lasted extra 4 days until March 25.  That refund made us the next 13-day cruise free (from Nice to Istanbul).  On the first cruise food and Belgian Chef (actually, we became friends during long days and night cruising through South Pacific without any stops) were unbelievable!  Cheses were exceptional!  Fresh local fish (like moon fish) was stunning!  Every lunch was actually like a cooking demonstration at the pool side.  Beef tartar, fish, foie gras, and more - all prepared in front of you.

• Thanks 1