Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

9 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Very good cruise. Did the Pacific coastal as well. Met some great people including you Feta.

Just got home late last night.

Thank you JT.  It was nice meeting you as well.

Curious, what cabin did they assign on your 2nd cruise?

• Like 2

I posted it on the guarantee topic as promised.

We were given 3007, which has a port hole above water line.

But on third deck, across an equipment room that emitted a humming sound for the 7 days.

Would have been much happier in an inside.

Will never book a guarantee again.

But the cruise was very good.

I am ready to book another from the 2025 collection that will be available on Oct 4.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 2:25 PM, Tranquility Base said:

Do you know if they were filling up any spare seats with independents after any early shorex was called to board ?

IE: If only one or two shorex were ready to board, and there where 10 seats spare, whould the first 10 independents be called down to the tender deck ?

My experience, mostly as an independent traveler (take few ship excursions; just love to wander or do something else) is that Oceania has gotten me on the first tender almost every single time I've tried to do that. I remember one time when it was impossible, but that was in (on?) Easter Island, an extremely popular port, with a difficult tender situation (weather, barely a tender pier, etc.).  Also, 2 of us wanted to get on that first tender rather than me only, along with a huge number of others.  For the most part, I've found it quite easy to get off the ship early on Oceania, particularly if I'm on one of the smaller ships (600 pax or whatever).  But it does probably depend upon demand, and some ports (Santorini comes to mind) can be a little iffy because extra large numbers of passengers want off right away.  

I haven't heard of any preference given to passengers in suites, etc.  And I've never been told I have to wait until the first (or other) excursions go off. Hope that helps.  But of course there are no guarantees!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
11 minutes ago, tvlbum said:

Can some please recommend a hotel, airbnb or other accommodations in Vancover that won't break the bank?

Stayed at Holiday Inn Riverport Richmond, pre-cruise.  Nice hotel, clean, friendly staff, excellent breakfast, nice size room, bathroom.

Hotel is not downtown.  About 20 min. from airport, 45 min. from cruise port.  If you want to be in a lively area, this hotel is not for you.

We enjoyed our 1 night stay, and would book again.  I've checked the Rate for Sept. 2024, and it has increased about USD $100 since Sept 2023

1 hour ago, tvlbum said:

Can some please recommend a hotel, airbnb or other accommodations in Vancover that won't break the bank?

I always chuckle when someone posts requests for hotel recommendations that “won’t break the bank” or are even just “reasonably priced.”

Without a frame of reference, those terms are useless. 

And even when someone identifies a well respected property which, at $300/night they find reasonably priced for them, that rate may vary significantly due to all sorts of circumstances.

Here’s a great cruise port example: Few folks will disagree that the Intercontinental in Miami is the best all around property for a pre-cruise stay  in terms of location, amenities, service et al. And the price is often, IMO, “reasonable” at $300+\- per night. But, check the price during a convention or certain holidays and that $300 can easily be closer to $600.  

• Like 1

The hotel we booked in Miami the night before our cruise in December is totally sold out now. I checked the Intercontinental when I saw the recommendation on CC, it is closer to $600 that night. Will stick with our now sold out Hilton. Glad I booked it months ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tvlbum said:

Vancouver is not a cheap place to stay or live. Are you Marriott or Hilton member? I've stayed in 2 different Marriott properties there. One I would recommend, another I wouldn't. I would not stay at the Richmond Marriott Airport hotel again. Long after covid they use it as an excuse to not provide services that they should be and even a Fairfield or Springhill does. 

On the other hand I would recommend the Residence Inn on Hornby st. It's right next door to a very good Italian restaurant, a ten minute walk to the Canada Place terminal area and a relatively reasonable Uber ride from the airport. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tvlbum said:

The airport hotels are definitely less expensive than downtown Vancouver. I was going to stay there, but we had plans to meet a friend downtown for dinner, so we stayed at Le Soleil (use the HOT promo code unless there is a better promo)...it is downtown pricing though (i.e., spendy). Our friend said the locals stay at the YMCA which was right next door to our hotel which I thought was odd, but they have regular (with bath) hotel rooms, so may be worth a look at reviews on tripadvisor/etc.

If you are a public transportation lover, the Canada Line (local train) will take you from the airport to a couple of blocks from the Y. Then it's just a few blocks to the port.

6 hours ago, ORV said:

It's right next door to a very good Italian restaurant

That would be Umberto Menghi's Giardino restaurant.  He's been cooking in Vancouver since 1969 and by now qualifies as a legend.  First experienced his Tuscan cuisine in 1985 at the original little yellow house restaurant simply named Umberto.  Multiple times since then -- now at his newer bigger place -- when visiting Vancouver.  Reservations not easy to obtain, so apply early -- and tell him we said, "Grazie!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1