Possible refurbishment?

BigAl94

The cynic in me thinks that they will be removing features on Apex during that next dry dock that resulted in cancelations.  They don't need a third party to do this, but hopefully they replace the cushions at the sunset bar and on the magic carpet if the present ones remain tattered and worn down.

But, is Apex the one that needs help?  The older ships are need of renovations or should be discounted like hotels are that are at end of life or about to be debadged.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Nothing in this article states that any Celebrity ship will be refurbished.

it does however say the announcement will be made on Apex.... 

"The announcement will be made today on board the Celebrity Apex which was docked in Belfast."

...so it seems likely to effect Celebrity in some way

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, groryjm said:

it does however say the announcement will be made on Apex.... 

"The announcement will be made today on board the Celebrity Apex which was docked in Belfast."

...so it seems likely to effect Celebrity in some way

They basically manage dry dock activities which all cruise ship have to complete. 

They have already done work with Royal Caribbean Group brands: 

https://mjm-group.com/portfolio/marine-interiors

MJM Marine, an outfitting firm based in Newry, said the increase in business across a range of global clients, including the world's largest cruise companies, will enable it to create more than 100 new jobs.

"The announcement will be made today on board the Celebrity Apex which was docked in Belfast. It is part of Celebrity Cruises, a brand in the Royal Caribbean Group and one of MJM Marine's trade partners."

"The new roles are predominantly based at our headquarters in Newry and range from operations and project management to commercial and other business support roles," he said.

RCG already uses this company. Apex happened to be in Belfast which makes a good backdrop for an annoucement of 100 new jobs. Will some Celebrity ships get work done by this company? Certainly appears that is possible. But no where does it imply that Apex is getting a complete overhaul or is 'removing features'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cap_D said:

The cynic in me thinks that they will be removing features on Apex during that next dry dock that resulted in cancelations. 

Like what features would they be removing on an E-Class ship? If anything they would be adding, not removing. I can't think of anything that the Edge has that isn't on the Beyond that would necessitate it being removed to align with the newer ships.  

19 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Just a five year dry dock.....nothing crazy to see here.

Your missing the point, no coincidence that MJM launched a recruitment drive and announced £150m contract on board a Celebrity ship. Something in the air 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Like what features would they be removing on an E-Class ship? If anything they would be adding, not removing. I can't think of anything that the Edge has that isn't on the Beyond that would necessitate it being removed to align with the newer ships.  

I don't disagree if they were interested in improving their product from a consumer experience standpoint.  But, I wouldn't put it past them to rip out something to replace it with more rooms or a revenue producing experience.  I'm not saying they should or will.  But, the likelihood of bona fide improvements to the consumer experience for all or a large groups of passengers is low considering the last several months of cutbacks everywhere else when it comes to consumer experience.  And, depsite being a young ship, Apex needed some TLC regardless of its what it's called, the vendor, location of the TLC, number of jobs, etc.  

And, I would be delighted to hear that while the ship was undergoing mandatory stuff that necessitated canceling sailings due to final scheduling, it would also be getting an upgraded sunset bar like Ascent/Beyond, some shading and wind screening, fixing the wind tunnel on the left side of the ship by the garden, a drain and non slip floor before the elevators adjacent to the solarium, or at least some fresh cushions.   

Edited by Cap_D

25 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

And, depsite being a young ship, Apex needed some TLC regardless of its what it's called, the vendor, location of the TLC, number of jobs, etc.  

And, I would be delighted to hear that while the ship was undergoing mandatory stuff that necessitated canceling sailings due to final scheduling, it would also be getting an upgraded sunset bar like Ascent/Beyond, some shading and wind screening, fixing the wind tunnel on the left side of the ship by the garden, a drain and non slip floor before the elevators adjacent to the solarium, or at least some fresh cushions. 

I'll respond to your second point first. Those are the additions and/or corrections that I was alluding to as opposed to taking existing features out and adding cabins. 

As to your first comment I was just on the Apex in July for 12 nights and didn't notice the ship had major areas that needed TLC. Soft goods will always suffer wear and tear and minor dings on hard goods are also unavoidable but ongoing maintenance can alleviate major hard goods disrepair.  

It has nothing whatsoever to do with Apex other than that was the ship in Belfast today when the announcement was made. Celebrity would not have facilitated that if it wasn't a Celebrity contract. MJM have done some very high quality work in the past and I suspect this will relate to unfinished S class or perhaps M class ships. Time will tell.

• Like 1