Air evacuation from ship-to-shore insurance.

swifty

For standard trip insurance, I buy from Steve (who is the agent on the Travel Insurance board). Great people, very knowledgeable and no pressure at all to buy. I used to use IMT, but after the incredible service from Steve, I don’t use anyone else.  His company is The Trip Insurance Store.

as to evac, we have a policy through EA+.  (Emergence Assistance). It is about $200/yr and they offer incredible services.  We recently upgraded so they will evac you for not just medical reasons but political unrest you might get caught up in abroad.

we also have an ambulance policy through MASA, which will get you home from anywhere in the world.  From Fixed wing to rickshaw, they get you home at no cost.  And it covers all ambulance and medical transportation costs.

Fortunately, I’ve not had to use the evac service on a trip, but I did use the ambulance service at home five days after we purchased the policy 😳.  I never even saw the ambulance bill.  Paid in full.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, sultan_sfo said:

Actually the process is a bit more complicated.

Even MedJet is just Hospital to Hospital.

One Actual Scenario:

When Princess dis-embarks a PAX at some port, Princess has connections with a local hospital.

If the pax's medical status is serious (eg cannot be flown immediately to home-port),

Princess arranges the pax to be admitted to the local hospital.

Once the pax is hospitalized at that port, one of 2 events are required (MedJet or no MedJet).

The hospital has to certify that the patient is stable to be discharged from that local

hospital and can be put on a flight home. Or that port hospital must be satisfied that the pax is stable and has been given admission to another hospital. Then either using MedJet or Air Ambulance the transfer is allowed. Admissions to a US hospital requires the pax's physician to arrange the admission to the US hospital.

For medjet there also must be an runway capable of handling their med evac air craft close to the hospital.  That is a problem with some locations.

We had an air evacuation on the Discovery after leaving Skagway last week. The helo came from Sitka, but there was a delay and it took a few hours! We arrived in Victoria a little late the next day, but the important thing is that the patient was reported to be doing well in the hospital!

As for insurance, just about any travel insurance coverage should include emergency evacuation, from Alaska or any foreign port. If it doesn't, you've been robbed.

7 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While I am the one who offered up MedJet Assist when asked about air evac...it is NORT the only travel insurance that we have.  We always take the cruise line insurance (more so for the "trip protection" angle than for medical) and we also have an annual international medical coverage policy from GeoBlue Trekker. Many will say that we are "insurance poor"...but I'd rather have it that way than to not have it when we REALLY need it!

We also have an annual GeoBlue  Trekker policy.  As far as travel expenses itself we basically use credit card coverage and self insure for any thing not covered by the CC.  Basically we travel enough that this approach covers us for large potential out of pocket expense and has saved us enough over the years (we travel between 100-150 days per year) that the savings would cover a fairly large  number of canceled trips in the future.

8 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Thank you for explaining that.

Im not understanding why Princess USA doesn’t tell you that you MUST have travel insurance though.They tell us here in the UK. Ask for the name and telephone number of the insurance company. Don’t add it, check in won’t happen & you don’t get on the ship.

Different national laws.  If Princess sells to a UK resident under UK terms and conditions the UK requirement for travel insurance applies.

If you were to book from a US travel agent under US terms and conditions, then it would not be required.

Of course booking under US terms would mean that UK PTR would not apply either.

If we book on P&O UK (which we have done) and book from their US representative those of us in the US do not need to show travel insurance, even though their web site, aimed at UK travelers, indicate that it is required.

Edited by ldtr

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While I am the one who offered up MedJet Assist when asked about air evac...it is NORT the only travel insurance that we have.  We always take the cruise line insurance (more so for the "trip protection" angle than for medical) and we also have an annual international medical coverage policy from GeoBlue Trekker. Many will say that we are "insurance poor"...but I'd rather have it that way than to not have it when we REALLY need it!

We do it exactly like you do!

15 hours ago, hawk/hornfan said:

When we booked our cruise we bought trip insurance from Allianz Global through her. Our policy covers $500,000 for medical emergency. Cost about $750. 

If you purchase only the evacuation insurance part, it's considerably cheaper. 

• Like 1

In 2019 my husband had a subdural hematoma on board. They brought the ship back to St. Maarten and sent us to St. Maarten Medical Center. He was airlifted the next day to NJ. Insurance covered everything for the air ambulance, reimbursed the hospital costs (St. Maarten charged us about 10K) and the one night of the hotel for me. They also refunded us for the missed days of the cruise. I hope no one ever needs this. We bought the insurance through our travel agent, and the company was AON. I've seen people complain about it but I didn't have any issues, other than them waiting to see if my medical insurance would cover things.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 10:33 AM, ldubs said:

We migrated to an annual travel medical policy.  Found the annual premium to be less than purchasing separate policies.  

We have an annual policy with GeoBlue along a MedJet membership. We feel we get adequate coverage from our credit card for non-medical expenses to make it reasonable to not get additional travel insurance 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

We have an annual policy with GeoBlue along a MedJet membership. We feel we get adequate coverage from our credit card for non-medical expenses to make it reasonable to not get additional travel insurance 

For others reading this, it is important to note that credit card insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions for the cardholder, traveling companions or even non-traveling family members. Be sure to understand what that means as defined in the Guide to Benefits before considering this strategy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

For others reading this, it is important to note that credit card insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions for the cardholder, traveling companions or even non-traveling family members. Be sure to understand what that means as defined in the Guide to Benefits before considering this strategy.

Good point! I would only rely on it for trip delays, lost luggage etc

2 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Good point! I would only rely on it for trip delays, lost luggage etc

You should be fine if you need only those benefits, but a lot of people depend on it for cancellation and trip interruption without fully understanding the limitations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babr said:

You should be fine if you need only those benefits, but a lot of people depend on it for cancellation and trip interruption without fully understanding the limitations.

I think that’s true for all types of insurance, at least in the US. Many people don’t have any idea of what coverage they actually have whether it’s auto, medical, long-term care or travel

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

Small additions to my much earlier post:

As I mentioned earlier, the releasing hospital has to certify that pax is stable in order to get a transfer to another hospital. Two more points:

1. Commercial Airline would not allow a patient with IV and the releasing hospital often releases the patient with IV. So either MedJet or Air Ambulance with medical personnel becomes necessary.

2. The releasing hospital outside the US may want CASH payment of bills (not credit card). So a cash balance in your checking account helps. And one must carry "one" blank check from one's bank account to have the requisite numbers at the bottom of the check so that cash can be transferred. Many Travel Insurance coverage helps with this issue of cash -- so reading the travel insurance coverage is important.

Also look for other help that the Travel Insurance provides -- like booking air fare with accompanying required medical personnel if commercial flight is permitted.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:04 PM, hawk/hornfan said:

Not on cruise, but at home about 3 years ago. A helicopter ride of about 70 miles was $33,000. Insurance paid all but $1600. I retired 2 months later.

Same thing happened to my Mother. Helicopter ride from Prescott, AZ to Phoenix was $10K+. They sent her a bill and I wrote a letter that she had no $$ to pay the bill. Never heard from them again.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Torfamm said:

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That is exactly what we do...

Us too, except we don't have the MedJet.  We actually made our first ever claim on the credit card for a flight we had to cancel due to illness.  Just a small regional flight and not big dollars.  Still, nice to get the nonrefundable part of the fare back.  

6 hours ago, Babr said:

Huh, our credit card travel insurance benefit did cover the full amount of both my and Mrs Ldubs' nonrefundable airfares when I made a recent claim for a cancelled flight.  No coverage for a non-traveling family member makes sense as they would have no loss to claim.  

Just now, ldubs said:

Huh, our credit card travel insurance benefit did cover the full amount of both my and Mrs Ldubs' nonrefundable airfares when I made a recent claim for a cancelled flight.  No coverage for a non-traveling family member makes sense as they would have no loss to claim.  

You misunderstand. I am talking about pre-existing conditions.

If you had to cancel because a non-traveling family member - perhaps an aging parent with health problems - required you to cancel in order to care for them, the insurance company would examine medical records to determine if the claim was the result of a pre-existing condition. If so, it would be denied.

Obviously, the same is true if you or a traveling companion filed a claim based on a pre-existing condition.

Take another look at your Guide to Benefits so that you are not caught unaware.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sultan_sfo said:

2. The releasing hospital outside the US may want CASH payment of bills (not credit card). So a cash balance in your checking account helps. And one must carry "one" blank check from one's bank account to have the requisite numbers at the bottom of the check so that cash can be transferred. Many Travel Insurance coverage helps with this issue of cash -- so reading the travel insurance coverage is important.

That is a good point about having account and routing numbers.  That is a string of numbers I will never remember. 🙂 

But, is having a blank check necessary?  We are able to access that info on line.  Unless, that is, you are saying these places might actually require a copy of the check?   

10 minutes ago, Babr said:

You misunderstand. I am talking about pre-existing conditions.

If you had to cancel because a non-traveling family member - perhaps an aging parent with health problems - required you to cancel in order to care for them, the insurance company would examine medical records to determine if the claim was the result of a pre-existing condition. If so, it would be denied.

Obviously, the same is true if you or a traveling companion filed a claim based on a pre-existing condition.

Take another look at your Guide to Benefits so that you are not caught unaware.

Oh sorry!  I didn't pick up this was about the dreaded PEC's.  That makes abundant sense and thanks for taking the time to clarify.  

In reality, for non medical travel expenses, we do not consider the credit card to provide comprehensive coverage.  Except for the CC's narrow coverage provided, we would take a hit should we have to cancel a trip.  We are fully aware and choose to retain that risk.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Oh sorry!  I didn't pick up this was about the dreaded PEC's.  That make abundant sense and thanks for taking the time to clarify.  

In reality, for non medical travel expenses, we do not consider the credit card to provide comprehensive coverage.  Except for the CC's narrow coverage provided, we would take a hit should we have to cancel a trip.  We are fully aware and choose to retain that risk.  

Indeed, it does not provide comprehensive coverage. It is just one of a number other perks provided by the credit card company in exchange for your annual fee. 

Too much disinformation.  We often talk about various insurance policies on the Cruise Discussion Topics/Cruise-Travel Insurance thread where there are a few very informative posters.  But insurance is not a "one size fits all" so folks need to read policies before purchasing.  Most (not all) travel insurance, sold in the USA, includes a component called "trip evacuation" or "emergency evacuation."  The devil is in the details which vary from policy to policy.  Some trip medical policies (such as GeoBlue) also include evacuation insurance.  And than there are the stand-alone policies such as the mentioned Medjetassist policy.  In addition, some high end credit cards also have some evacuation coverage (again, you need to read the policy).

Most Evacuation policies will cover inpatient hospital to inpatient hospital.  Some policies will let you choose the hospital while others will only cover to the nearest decent hospital.  Again, the devil is in the details.  It should be emphasized that the general rule is that the attending physician must agree that the patient is fit to be transferred, the receiving physician must agree, and so does the insurance company (who usually assigns a case manager to each case).  

As has been posted, being airlifted off a ship is not billed to the patient, but once that helicopter lands, everything else is the responsibility of the patient and their insurance (if any).  The cost of medical evacuation can easily exceed $50,000 (if far from home) so insurance is important,  When DW needed to be evacuated from Japan to the USA, she was able to do it on a commercial airline (Delta) in a lay flat seat.  That one ticket cost our insurance company $10,000!  If Delta had refused to take her, the insurance company would have needed to arrange for an air ambulance...the cost of which would have been ridiculous!

Hank

• Thanks 1