Casual vs smart casual

Retired 07

4 hours ago, Retired 07 said:

I noticed on the itinerary on the Navigator app, they show 3 different options for dressing at dinner: dressy, casual, and smart casual. What’s the difference between casual and smart casual?

The IQ of the staff at the door.  Frequent cruisers know how to impress their partners, others wear whatever they can get away with.  Some will be turned away but you will see a variety  no matter the code of th eday.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

In my neck of the woods, ball cap on backwards = gangsta

Bum Phillips: famous football coach would not wear his hat in a domed stadium.  He said a gentleman does not wear a hat indoors.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Had a dinner get together on Saturday night -18 people.    I stressed that the dress would be CASUAL, meaning shorts, jeans, golf shirts, sundress, tennis shoes, etc..  While the majority of the men were dressed casually (per my description), a couple of them wore long slacks and a button down (what I consider Smart Casual.)  Most of the women, including myself, were dressed Smart Casual with nice Capri pants, slacks, dressy tops, jewelry galore, and even a couple of the women wearing nice dresses.  None were dressed casually.  We ate outside on the porches of our home.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Had a dinner get together on Saturday night -18 people.    I stressed that the dress would be CASUAL, meaning shorts, jeans, golf shirts, sundress, tennis shoes, etc..  While the majority of the men were dressed casually (per my description), a couple of them wore long slacks and a button down (what I consider Smart Casual.)  Most of the women, including myself, were dressed Smart Casual with nice Capri pants, slacks, dressy tops, jewelry galore, and even a couple of the women wearing nice dresses.  None were dressed casually.  We ate outside on the porches of our home.

If you said casual to me, I would be in shorts, no makeup, no jewelry, and me being me. It's a Florida thing. Mind if I  bring my comfort pet parakeet while we are at it? Haha!

• Haha 3

Me too!!!

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

No socks vs socks?

Wearing socks in the South is a step above Smart Casual.  Considered "dressy", most men around here would only wear them to work, church, weddings, a funeral, or on an extremely cold day.  My DH doesn't even wear them to church.  I guess he would if he were wearing a suit or blazer, but I cannot remember the last time he dressed up to go to church except for a funeral.

We had formal. That was pretty clear, but too confusing. (Apologies to the fine people from the UK. You probably knew the dress code rukes before you could ride a bicycle.)

Then we had gala. Gala was just plain stupid. It should have been a step beyond formal, but it wasn't.

Now we have "dressy." What in the actual heck is that supposed to mean?

I'm laying odds that the next step is little cards showing that your pants must be at least this long, with the pictogram showing something longer than shorts. Your shirt must have sleeves. A collar is appreciated!

Of course, they're not going to give you printed cards, just a PDF that you have to print at home. Or, maybe it'll be on the Navigator app. You'll have people without the wifi package prancing about nekkid because they lack wardrobe guidance.

All I can guarantee you is that there are high level meetings, hammering out the next ridiculous iteration of the dress code. Focus groups are testing the new names. Feedback is being solicited. Reports (comprehensive!) are being drafted.

You know what? The new guidance is gonna be dumb. It won't be clear. And, God willing, we'll all be around to argue about it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just got off the Konningsdam on Sept 9.  All nights are casual except the 2 Gala nights which are dressy.  More and more ships don't seem to have smart casual anymore.  You are free to dress as fancy as you want.  Other people might not.

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

No socks vs socks?

I *have* to wear socks, cannot stand bare feet in almost all types of footwear.  (So you will rarely see me in sandals or those abomination of shoes known as "crocs".)  Two of my children seem incapable of ever putting socks on.  It still sometimes drives me a bit batty when I see them in sneakers without socks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KenveeB said:

Smart casual just means business casual when you’re not at the office. No shorts, no ratty jeans, no muscle shirts. Just a little nicer than anything goes. 

Was in Japan for work in 2008 I think, G8 summit. There was a meeting for our boss that was listed as business casual. Everyone was running around trying to find out want that meant. Turns out, Business casual in Japan meant your suit didn't have to be black. 🙂

Edited by electro
  • Haha 5