Amsterdam Short Cruise

rakkor

5 minutes ago, rakkor said:

@Camgirl & @BouncingWheel we missed you in the Afternoon Trivia yesterday, only one point off winning and it was only Jane and myself with only one of us answering the questions.

Great effort though! On our last, short, Cunard cruise we were up against “professional” quizzers who more or less won everything - took the shine off it a bit but still fun.

We hope you have a fantastic cruise. We love the sail into Amsterdam, through the lock, during the day. Let us know if you see folks on the banks waving hello.

This is a "party cruise" I'm pretty sure there isn't a single professional quizzer on board given the winning score was 15 yesterday.

The cruise up the North Sea Canal was cool, well scorching hot in the sun, with plenty of people waving at us as we sailed past

• Like 4

reading your blog made me even more tempted to want to book a short one  before the year ends..... wont be able to hold until the one we have booked (end of 24).... too many months until then.... now, how do I convince my daughter that Rotterdam and Bruges can be great in December? 

17 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

reading your blog made me even more tempted to want to book a short one  before the year ends..... wont be able to hold until the one we have booked (end of 24).... too many months until then.... now, how do I convince my daughter that Rotterdam and Bruges can be great in December? 

Bruges is one of the prettiest ports of call and decorated for Christmas should be a winter wonderland. A canal boat ride and a wander around. Then Gluhwein with Croque Monsieur and fries in one of the cafes in the Market Square before hitting the Christmas markets... how's that for starters! 🙂

• Like 1

Really enjoyed your blog. 

We had ginger on QE last year and after the first time we asked for it, a huge bowlful was presented every evening. Love the stuff.

I laughed at your "I'm a Northerner and not made of sugar" comment - this Northerner uses that phrase regularly! Mainly to my even more Northern husband (a Geordie) who has become de-acclimatised 😀

• Like 1

As @Victoria2 says Bruges is an excellent Christmas port of call. the last time we were there we shared one of the many cabs available in the port into the centre. Although I'd differ with her on Gluhwine and Croque Monsieur for a nice Trappist Dubbel or Trippel and Moules frites. Rotterdam is nowhere near a pretty but friends reckon the new Market is a sight to behold.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rakkor said:

As @Victoria2 says Bruges is an excellent Christmas port of call. the last time we were there we shared one of the many cabs available in the port into the centre. Although I'd differ with her on Gluhwine and Croque Monsieur for a nice Trappist Dubbel or Trippel and Moules frites. Rotterdam is nowhere near a pretty but friends reckon the new Market is a sight to behold.

It's winter. Enter the spirit with a hot drink. Now summer, it would have to be a Belgium Fruit Beer...with Croque M and Frites! 🙂

• Like 2

We went too Brussels when she was 11, 5 days wit the idea of spending a day in Bruges, but were so marvelled with the city we decided to make Bruges a destination for another trip, but never happened.

We had a Belgo restaurant in Chalk Farm Road (across the road from Stables Market) use to go often until they closed down I think in 2018..... I think I maybe able to convince her with more food options LOL

She is half way convinced as would be back in Queen Victoria!

@rakkor love your blog, gorgeous photos too, she started reading last night, maybe that will help too!

Will keep you updated!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

We went too Brussels when she was 11, 5 days wit the idea of spending a day in Bruges, but were so marvelled with the city we decided to make Bruges a destination for another trip, but never happened.

We had a Belgo restaurant in Chalk Farm Road (across the road from Stables Market) use to go often until they closed down I think in 2018..... I think I maybe able to convince her with more food options LOL

She is half way convinced as would be back in Queen Victoria!

@rakkor love your blog, gorgeous photos too, she started reading last night, maybe that will help too!

Will keep you updated!

I think Rotterdam is great too. Lots of interesting modern architecture, a wonderful modern market and station, some good museums, and you can also visit the namesake ship.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Maybe you can join us for the Greek Islands cruise as well - Just over a week to go for that one!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rakkor said:

Maybe you can join us for the Greek Islands cruise as well - Just over a week to go for that one!

OHHHHHHH the Greek Islands!!!!!!!! doubt we will be able to join you this time, but am of to look at the itinerary to add to our list!!!!!!!

would love to meet you on board one day!!!!! your blog is inspiring!!!!

On 9/15/2023 at 9:31 AM, Host Hattie said:

Have a great time 

We did our 1st on Cunard, we didn't want to get off

20230916_185603.thumb.jpg.cae2ce9bf74f2545e903f21b4c86b5a2.jpg

She is one lovely ship.

They put in one of the cruise papers that they had wi-fi installers going around the cabins fitting whatever for better reception. Which in our cabin was poor.

• Like 5

Thanks so much for your great blog.  I enjoyed the trip vicariously.  I have fond memories of Bruges — a lovely city; however, my most vivid memories concern loos. We were with friends, went to a loo that was for men and women.  The four of us went into separate stalls (fortunately).  My husband heard three of us say “Merci” to the attendant as we tipped her, and she replied “Danka.”  Husband, clever clogs, said Danka to her and she replied “Merci.”  Then, we had parked in a department store’s ramp.  As we walked to the car, we heard shouting from a nearby loo.  A woman was stuck in a stall.  Of course, we were able to get help—after a while. Ah, well . . .