Off Solstice yesterday; My apologies to all of you

jc foster

5 hours ago, C4HCG said:

But bored of the repetitiveness of it.....

I just wanted to point out that when people like us are trying to decide on how to plan for our only booked cruise in >4 years, the posts that discuss changes are very informative. The repetetive "Do your own evaluation and then decide if you continue with X" posts don't have any meaning for us because if we aren't cruising again, having a poor experience will be our last memory.

So, following the menus, reading criticisms of food quality/offerings/discontinuations gives us the chance to decide whether to go with specialties or buffet, and maybe some help in planning what nights to switch (Roasted turkey? pot pie? shudder...). Already, our plans to use room service to enjoy our big balcony have been affected by the changes limiting non-suites to a minimalist menu all day.

You might find it boring, but the info is useful to many people. Cruisers making critical comments about their experiences are not lemmings, so I don't get the notion that because some are happy all the others are somehow delusional.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, mayleeman said:

I just wanted to point out that when people like us are trying to decide on how to plan for our only booked cruise in >4 years, the posts that discuss changes are very informative. The repetetive "Do your own evaluation and then decide if you continue with X" posts don't have any meaning for us because if we aren't cruising again, having a poor experience will be our last memory.

So, following the menus, reading criticisms of food quality/offerings/discontinuations gives us the chance to decide whether to go with specialties or buffet, and maybe some help in planning what nights to switch (Roasted turkey? pot pie? shudder...). Already, our plans to use room service to enjoy our big balcony have been affected by the changes limiting non-suites to a minimalist menu all day.

You might find it boring, but the info is useful to many people. Cruisers making critical comments about their experiences are not lemmings, so I don't get the notion that because some are happy all the others are somehow delusional.

Eh? I never called anyone a lemming and have always acknowledged people’s right to an opinion. I do find the repeat posts complaining boring in the same way you find posts like mine saying judge when you sail repetitive, and I have no issue with you thinking that. So you are kind of agreeing with me which I am sure is not your intention. 

1 hour ago, highway180 said:

It's funny how people can come up with such diverse opinions about food. We were on the Solstice on the July 28th sailing, and our entire group enjoyed the food, choices, and over the top service. We ate in the MDR, Oceanview, Tuscan, Tuscan specialty lunch, and Murano specialty lunch. No complaints: we were a party of 5, ages 5-63. Service was as good as I've ever experienced .They really went above and beyond to accommodate my granddaughter.

Cheers

The issue is the menu's were just updated in mid August.  What you experienced in July may not be the same now.  If you look at the current menu's they have been downgraded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, micruiser2002 said:

The issue is the menu's were just updated in mid August.  What you experienced in July may not be the same now.  If you look at the current menu's they have been downgraded.

We cruised 2 to 10 September and menus in MDR fine and variety in OVC brilliant. First hand experience. 

• Like 4

On 9/16/2023 at 10:39 AM, LaCal said:

We were on the Solstice recently and enjoyed the food very much.,..Great thing was if one entree wasn’t the greatest you could order a diff one 

We also ate at Murano and Tuscan grille 

Murano was hands down Excellent and the service totally 5 Star……Tuscan had the best pastas and our ribeye  steak was cooked perfect…..Only thing that was bad was the calamari which was rubbery 

This was our very first Celebrity cruise so we’re definitely not Celebrity Cheerleaders 🤣🤣

Enjoyed the cruise so much we booked another two……One on the Eclipse in November and one on the Constellation in February 

Not sure which type of cabin you're in, but be advised neither Eclipse nor Connie is Revolutionized, so no Retreat sundeck and no revamped cabins, should that be on interest to you.  Glad you enjoyed your first =X= experience.

6 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

The thing is when you're proponents of Ninja Cruising™ all these complaints about declining standards and lousy food in the MDR are irrelevant.

We eat buffet 3 times a day. Always great choice and as we're late eaters for all three meals there's never a problem with getting a table.

Unless you stump up for speciality restaurants you're enjoying mass catering in the MDR and mass catering is, well, catering for the masses so haute cuisine it ain't gonna be.The new menus I see look okay to this buffet hound.Lobster tail is overrated and I love mashed potatoes with gravy. It'll get me used to eating through a straw in my later years 😅

The more I read the complaints about Celebrity the more I'm convinced that it's the wealthier passengers who seem the unhappiest.

We're paying £70 a night each for our next TA cruise in Oct - for a balcony cabin, unlimited food, free entertainment, three days ashore including two in the Caribbean and an army of staff catering to our every need.

Amazing value and we'll enjoy every minute of it.

Will I see you on Silhouette?  Sounds like you're describing its itinerary.

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What did you think of the room service menu?

Never looked at it NMT, didn’t even know we had one, but wouldn’t pay to have food delivered when you can get it with a short walk.

20 hours ago, horseymike said:

That’s exactly what they are trying to get you to do.

What other choice is there really?  Eat in the MDR with a scaled back menu or eat in specialty with a more diverse menu.

Celebrity may not like me adding in the price of specialty dining to the cruise price for future cruise price comparisons.  Celebrity's specialty dining is more expensive than their competition.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What other choice is there really?  Eat in the MDR with a scaled back menu or eat in specialty with a more diverse menu.

Celebrity may not like me adding in the price of specialty dining to the cruise price for future cruise price comparisons.  Celebrity's specialty dining is more expensive than their competition.

Or eat in the OVC that has lots of choices. I do think I overheard the crew saying they didn’t like NMT adding in the cost of speciality (will never get where the i went in American) dining. 😁

14 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Or eat in the OVC that has lots of choices. I do think I overheard the crew saying they didn’t like NMT adding in the cost of speciality (will never get where the i went in American) dining. 😁

The OVC is a step down in service.  It has been a while since I have been to a buffet.  We do have some of the best buffets in the country downtown.  

For breakfast and lunch the OVC is too crowded and noisy.  I will just leave it there 🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We are not foodies, but have never gone hungry on any cruise we have been on.  My expectations are just to have a few options to choose from and that's good enough for us.

just wish that they would offer soup beans, corn bread, cole slaw, and a slice of onion with a cold pbr........go big blue

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C4HCG said:

If anyone loves you??? You’re right though, too much of this board is depressing, promised myself to stop reading it but I have learnt lots of useful stuff too. But bored of the repetitiveness of it so going to read and not get involved in future, or I will at least try.

This is an example of what us non-cheerleaders have had to listen to..."cut in food quality doesn't affect us, don't be so negative!", "glad they got rid of the pillow chocolates, too many calories, great move celebrity!", "happy for the additional lobster tail fee, once saw someone order 7 tails", etc

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This is an example of what us non-cheerleaders have had to listen to..."cut in food quality doesn't affect us, don't be so negative!", "glad they got rid of the pillow chocolates, too many calories, great move celebrity!", "happy for the additional lobster tail fee, once saw someone order 7 tails", etc

Agreed, it works both ways. But I never said cut in quality doesnt affect us, I did say we didn’t see a cut. But l have said my last on it, nothing more to add.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, C4HCG said:

If anyone loves you??? You’re right though, too much of this board is depressing, promised myself to stop reading it but I have learnt lots of useful stuff too. But bored of the repetitiveness of it so going to read and not get involved in future, or I will at least try.

Agree. I read the threads that catch my attention. I like reading and respect others opinions and experiences, negative or positive. None that influences my cruise decisions. Threads like this one are a great example of it. If I agree or disagree I'll voice my opinion. Don't care who agrees or disagrees with me. That's their opinion. 

I've been a CC member since February 2001 and have found there are a few CC posters that post some good value added info. 

Threads like this will run their course, fade away only to make room for another, just like the other. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Or eat in the OVC that has lots of choices.  😁

Always.

And busy ? Just don't eat at the same time as everyone else.

I get that some people like to dress up and be served by someone but weigh up all the MDR negativity on here against any poster on here who has complained about the quality of food in the OVC ( anyone )  then it's a no-brainer.

23 hours ago, mahdnc said:

We will be on Solstice in Dec/Jan and am disappointed to read your post.  Fortunately it is a very Asia port intensive cruise so we at least have that.  Did you try Murano?

I think that the upside on the mediocre MDR menu is that we will have some very very good local cuisine while in port.  No need to go back to the ship early for dinner.

• Like 4

On 9/16/2023 at 9:41 AM, jc foster said:

The Dining Room menu consisted of a one starter and one main course section.  

It’s interesting how many of these threads exist and I take them with a grain of salt.

First of all, I have never seen a menu with only one app and one main course offered so lets be real here.

Secondly food quality is quite subjective.  We’ve never had a situation that we couldn’t find something that we liked on a menu and didn’t enjoy it.  Not sure if our expectations are low or realistic but we’ve had cruises that there were people who seem to hate everything in the MDR and we actually enjoyed it.

So let’s stop with the generalizations and start to post details and facts that we can better grasp and make judgements on

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1