Off Solstice yesterday; My apologies to all of you

jc foster

2 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

That was not my intent to insult the P's culinary tastes.  What I was saying is that Celebrity food has lowered it's standards to the other mass market lines so it is familiar to the poster. Familiarity is comfort for many. Celebrity used to be head and shoulders above them in quality and offerings.

Used to be is spot on. RCI continues to drag Celebrity down as they continue to focus on both filling and continue building their "Mega Ships".  

Edited by Loracpin2
Addition
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Used to be is spot on. RCI continues to drag Celebrity down as they continue to focus on both filling and continue building their "Mega Ships".  

Still spot on for many of us, and a company who wouldn’t strive to fill their ships would be one destined to go under, and whilst mega ships are there, so are the smaller ones. We love the Equinox and are hesitant to try Edge class but are twice next year as the itineraries we want to do left us no choice. Read all of the negative comments on them which we will remember but we will board the ships with an open mind and judge what we find ourselves. 

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Everyone needs to come to their own conclusion in their own time frame.  I realized it a couple of years ago but still booked Celebrity until I did a reflections cruise in Dec 21.  Their menus had already been paired down to not much choice and the buffet was low cuts of meat in heavy sauces to hide it.  We did an S1 suite aft the following Feb on an E class and I noticed cuts then.  But I've always been somewhat of a foodie because I am willing to pay for great food but not mediocrity. Someone else referred to is as school cafeteria food in another thread. lol

I followed those with three Regent cruises at less pp/pn than Celebrity suits but the food was so much better.  Lobster, scallops, USDA prime beef and more on the everyday menu in the MDR. Their prices have come up above my comfort level now because their largest ships are 750 passengers which fill quickly. 

The smaller ships usually have a more interesting itinerary.   That's why I also like Azamara.  If celebrity ever reverses course, I will consider them but they're on the race to the bottom with the other mass market lines.  I understand that. They don't want me as a cruiser I suppose.

Speaking of itinerary, Celebrity used to do more 12 night plus itineraries.  I prefer those up to 18 nights. However Celebrity decided they prefer the quick 7 night turn around to make more money. That attracts a different type of client to fill their ships.  More power to them that has to work. 😉

The bottom line is I have never seen so many formerly loyal Celebrity cruisers feeling the same and jumping to other lines.  I hope the people who still enjoy Celebrity continue booking them.  That way they won't clog the reservations at the other elevated lines thereby increasing rates. rofl.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

The bottom line is I have never seen so many formerly loyal Celebrity cruisers feeling the same and jumping to other lines.  I hope the people who still enjoy Celebrity continue booking them.  That way they won't clog the reservations at the other elevated lines thereby increasing rates. rofl.

Loyalty to any brand of anything is naive, apart from your football, rugby league or cricket team. Soon as you think you’re not getting what you paid for move on and who can blame you for that. And I sincerely hope the lines you go to you love. Us, we still value Celebrity and that’s a current and informed view having got off the Equinox last week. I do get tired of the constant digs at Celebrity from people on the basis of what they have heard or read, not you I hasten to add, and also think if people have moved why come here and constantly tell us where the grass is greener? Don’t get it personally.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jc foster said:

Just got off the Soltice yesterday.   I had read all of your reviews regarding the changes in menu selection and food quality and thought they were just more cruise critic BS. My apologies to all of you. The Dining Room menu consisted of a one starter and one main course section.  There were six or seven dishes section. Most of these dishes were repeated a few times during this seven day cruise.  The Dining room menu should be an embarassment to Celebrity and the tasty factor is also gone.  We tried the Tuscan Grill and it also seemed lacking.   This was our first post covid on Celebrity.   We only need a few cruises to be Elite Plus but if things dont change we will never see that.   Like most of you we sail other lines as well  and have sailed Princess twice post covid.   It has also changed but not nearly as badly as Celebrity.   We will try Azamara or Oceania again ,  I am not going to pay for " Golden Corral " quality food with poor selection.  , .  On the plus side the crew is hard working and we enjoyed the balcony cabin on the hump.

Confused. Am I right in understanding that there were 6 or 7 different starters and 6 or 7 mains every day?

If so I don't see much if any change. We can build a 4 course dinner from 2 starters (for example prawn cocktail or 2 depending on the number of prawns and a soup) a main (with a side dish of vegetables and a Yorkshire pudding) plus a dessert and a vanilla ice cream. Ok you may count that as 5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Loyalty to any brand of anything is naive, apart from your football, rugby league or cricket team. Soon as you think you’re not getting what you paid for move on and who can blame you for that. And I sincerely hope the lines you go to you love. Us, we still value Celebrity and that’s a current and informed view having got off the Equinox last week. I do get tired of the constant digs at Celebrity from people on the basis of what they have heard or read, not you I hasten to add, and also think if people have moved why come here and constantly tell us where the grass is greener? Don’t get it personally.

I don't care whether any cruise line loves me or not. I look for value and what I get for my money plus the itinerary.  If those lines don't give me what I want, I can always stop cruising and replace it with other holidays.

A suggestion: if you're tired of anyone's digs...block us so you won't see our posts.  You'll be a much happier person. However I haven't totally given up on Celebrity.  I'm just waiting for their actions to come back to haunt them so they realize maybe their cuts didn't quite work out the way they planned.  If not then I will totally move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

Cracker Barrel has 20 meals under $12.00

Now that's value

There's more to value than price! If someone only looks for price, they don't understand value. Because many times value is much more expensive but a better value. However that is subjective by each individual.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

There's more to value than price! If someone only looks for price, they don't understand value. Because many times value is much more expensive but a better value.

But we already have implied value from givens such as friendly service, meals prepped from scratch, and a clean environment 

4 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

But we already have implied value from givens such as friendly service, meals prepped from scratch, and a clean environment 

But what is the unique selling proposition that all the others don't have? I don't see Celebrity exceeding that implied arena as they used to be in those values for me.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

2 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

But what is the unique selling proposition that all the others don't have? I don't see Celebrity exceeding that implied arena as they used to be in those values for me.

I don't know. I was just thinking how much I liked breakfast for dinner when that Cracker Barrel commercial popped during the Bama game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

I don't know. I was just thinking how much I liked breakfast for dinner when that Cracker Barrel commercial popped during the Bama game.

One of the things I suggested to X a few months ago was to have an omelette station in OVC in the evening.  They'd probably need several.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I don't care whether any cruise line loves me or not. I look for value and what I get for my money plus the itinerary.  If those lines don't give me what I want, I can always stop cruising and replace it with other holidays.

A suggestion: if you're tired of anyone's digs...block us so you won't see our posts.  You'll be a much happier person. However I haven't totally given up on Celebrity.  I'm just waiting for their actions to come back to haunt them so they realize maybe their cuts didn't quite work out the way they planned.  If not then I will totally move on.

If anyone loves you??? You’re right though, too much of this board is depressing, promised myself to stop reading it but I have learnt lots of useful stuff too. But bored of the repetitiveness of it so going to read and not get involved in future, or I will at least try.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Love the comment "Golden Corral quality of food!"  We sail in 2 months on Beyond so looking forward to seeing what type of mush they maybe serving!

We are currently on Beyond and overall food has been good/very good… Although our first Celebrity cruise.Normandie was best MDR for us

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The thing is when you're proponents of Ninja Cruising™ all these complaints about declining standards and lousy food in the MDR are irrelevant.

We eat buffet 3 times a day. Always great choice and as we're late eaters for all three meals there's never a problem with getting a table.

Unless you stump up for speciality restaurants you're enjoying mass catering in the MDR and mass catering is, well, catering for the masses so haute cuisine it ain't gonna be.The new menus I see look okay to this buffet hound.Lobster tail is overrated and I love mashed potatoes with gravy. It'll get me used to eating through a straw in my later years 😅

The more I read the complaints about Celebrity the more I'm convinced that it's the wealthier passengers who seem the unhappiest.

We're paying £70 a night each for our next TA cruise in Oct - for a balcony cabin, unlimited food, free entertainment, three days ashore including two in the Caribbean and an army of staff catering to our every need.

Amazing value and we'll enjoy every minute of it.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

There's more to value than price! If someone only looks for price, they don't understand value. Because many times value is much more expensive but a better value. However that is subjective by each individual.

Then consider yourself fortunate. There are many who must consider price or stay home. You comment is insulting to many. I have met folks onboard who save for a long time to cruise

18 hours ago, LaCal said:

We also ate at Murano and Tuscan grille 

Murano was hands down Excellent and the service totally 5 Star……

This is what the MDR used to be like before the specialty restaurants moved in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

Then consider yourself fortunate. There are many who must consider price or stay home. You comment is insulting to many. I have met folks onboard who save for a long time to cruise

Baggy178 just above your post got a GREAT value that wasn't more expensive!

There are also some other cruise lines that give a better value than Celebrity at lower costs so there's no need to stay home.

I suspect Celebrity changed many of their itineraries to only 7 day turnarounds to attract more of the people who save for a long time to cruise. But with their pricing increases, that may be approaching becoming out of the reach of many.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

8 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Baggy178 just above your post got a GREAT value that wasn't more expensive!

There are also some other cruise lines that give a better value than Celebrity at lower costs so there's no need to stay home.

I suspect Celebrity changed many of their itineraries to only 7 day turnarounds to attract more of the people who save for a long time to cruise. But with their pricing increases, that may be approaching becoming out of the reach of many.

We just booked a 7 day IV Ascent cruise on her 4th voyage (12/10/23). No AI, it was $2100 USD. I'm not a new ship cruise chaser, but my wife wanted to cruise on a new ship. I think that price point for an outside cabin is within reach of main stream America's wallet, considering the cost of other resort options these days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mahdnc said:

We will be on Solstice in Dec/Jan and am disappointed to read your post.  Fortunately it is a very Asia port intensive cruise so we at least have that.  Did you try Murano?

It's funny how people can come up with such diverse opinions about food. We were on the Solstice on the July 28th sailing, and our entire group enjoyed the food, choices, and over the top service. We ate in the MDR, Oceanview, Tuscan, Tuscan specialty lunch, and Murano specialty lunch. No complaints: we were a party of 5, ages 5-63. Service was as good as I've ever experienced .They really went above and beyond to accommodate my granddaughter.

Cheers

• Like 3

1 minute ago, highway180 said:

It's funny how people can come up with such diverse opinions about food. We were on the Solstice on the July 28th sailing, and our entire group enjoyed the food, choices, and over the top service. We ate in the MDR, Oceanview, Tuscan, Tuscan specialty lunch, and Murano specialty lunch. No complaints: we were a party of 5, ages 5-63. Service was as good as I've ever experienced .They really went above and beyond to accommodate my granddaughter.

Cheers

Of course you are correct that taste is quite subjective. I hope that we will have the same experience as yours on our upcoming Christmas + NYE sailing on Solstice for which final payment is due this week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dino1037 said:

We are currently on Beyond and overall food has been good/very good… Although our first Celebrity cruise.Normandie was best MDR for us

If you get a chance to post a picture of the menu, please do. We sail on her in January and I was concerned when I saw the new menu from another ship that definitely seemed downgraded.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1