Off Solstice yesterday; My apologies to all of you

jc foster

10 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

It's mathematically impossible to claim 95% of the passengers are rif-raf.  Just counting the exorbitantly priced resort suites proves that!

I digress, you made me do the actual math. 🙂
On Celebrity Ascent: 1550 cabins total, of which 215 are suites. So the Rif-Raf is only 86.12903%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

I digress, you made me do the actual math. 🙂
On Celebrity Ascent: 1550 cabins total, of which 215 are suites. So the Rif-Raf is only 86.12903%

Well in your original Rif-Raf post you said, "I make more money than 95% of them, but have never seen the value in over priced suites/AQ on a boat that I'm going to only spend 7 days of my life."

I believe you should recalculate now including AQ and might as well include Concierge. 😁

Edited by ChucktownSteve

3 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Well in your original Rif-Raf post you said, "I make more money than 95% of them, but have never seen the value in over priced suites/AQ on a boat that I'm going to only spend 7 days of my life."

I believe you should recalculate now including AQ and might as well include Concierge. 😁

Nah, AQ/Concierge same rif-raf cabins with just a couple of eating/spa perks. Lotta rif-raf over in those 2 classes also. 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, kywildcatfanone said:

We are not foodies, but have never gone hungry on any cruise we have been on.  My expectations are just to have a few options to choose from and that's good enough for us.

The problem, to me, of the above statement is that as long as people feel this way, the cruise lines will feel free to continue to diminish the experience.

Eventually most people reach a tipping point. I'm not happy paying $300/night for an inside cabin, no drinks package or gratuities and a side of mashed potatoes.  At some point, your tipping point may come too.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The problem, to me, of the above statement is that as long as people feel this way, the cruise lines will feel free to continue to diminish the experience.

Eventually most people reach a tipping point. I'm not happy paying $300/night for an inside cabin, no drinks package or gratuities and a side of mashed potatoes.  At some point, your tipping point may come too.

I wonder what that tipping point is?

PB&J and saltines?  Taking away daily cleanings and making them weekly?

For some I suppose that there is no tipping point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

I've eaten at fancy pants restaurants all over the world.

And I've eaten slops in some humongous dives.

But the truth is money doesn't always equate to better food.

It buys a lot of pretentious crap though.

Ironically, this is what's happening with X.  They are raising the prices while lowering the food quality

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rmedistro said:

What they don't realize is that the Riff-Raff class represents 95% of the guests on the boat.  But the elitist attitude is always entertainment at best. I make more money than 95% of them, but have never seen the value in over priced suites/AQ on a boat that I'm going to only spend 7 days of my life. Especially considering we spend most of our time outside of sleeping, not in the cabin. If I want nice digs, it's going to be at an air bnb in the mountains, where we'll spend more time in than out.
BUT, the entertainment value is real!

When is your next cruise?  Just making us riff raff people stay out of your way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

My comment was about my family, not cruisers in general.  Trust me, I want the best food I can get.  But food taste and presentation is really too subjective a subject.  Everyone sees it differently.

I think with costs sky high, quality of everything will suffer. 

49 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Moi?  🤣

Yep.  And who are those on the opposite spectrum of "they"?  It appears those are non-"people" to be logical.  And also, those are too little, I guess.

Edited by kirtihk

@kywildcatfanone I think the response was triggered by the beginning of yours. "Not gone hungry" is obviously not your literal standard, but it does suggest that the bar for food acceptability on a cruise should be meaured from a floor rather than reaching toward heights.

Kind of like evaluating Calipari lately according to several peeks I have seen of UK fan-sites! Sorry...couldn't resist.

Edited by mayleeman

7 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@kywildcatfanone I think the response was triggered by the beginning of yours. "Not gone hungry" is obviously not your literal standard, but it does suggest that the bar for food acceptability on a cruise should be meaured from a floor rather than reaching toward heights.

Kind of like evaluating Calipari lately according to several peeks I have seen of UK fan-sites! Sorry...couldn't resist.

Well, like I said, food is subjective.  I would not be happy going to the buffet and only having chicken nuggets and french fries.  But I get the point.  

As I said in my above post, with costs high and going higher, the quality of everything is going to diminish.   Celebrity, or any cruise line charging higher prices, doesn't mean that the quality of the product will get better unfortunately.  I think with the pricing as it is now, they are trying to pocket as much money as they can while diminishing the product as much as possible while retaining the majority of existing customers and still attracting new ones.

As far as Cal, he has his elite freshman class again, so I will ride this roller coaster one more time.  Congrats on the Michigan kid.  Might be the difference maker.

• Thanks 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Off Solstice yesterday; My apologies to all of you
  • 2 weeks later...