Scooter larger than 21 inches

Tee & Chilli

Has anyone been denied boarding although the scooter breaks down into parts?

I’m referring to this on the carnival website. There are no fully accessible cabins available. 
Thanks

Guests who bring scooters larger than 21" wide, or travel with multiple scooters in the same stateroom, must purchase a fully accessible stateroom with a wider doorway (32"), or rent a smaller scooter appropriately suited for their stateroom. Guests may be required to have their scooters sized at the time of check-in to ensure it fits in the stateroom. Scooters that do not fit in the stateroom will not be allowed on board. Should a guest be unable to make alternate arrangements to rent a smaller scooter or travel without it, he/she will be denied boarding

You should notify carnival’s guest access department to let them know you are bringing a scooter.

You could also call them and explain that your scooter comes apart.

I bring my own scooter that also comes apart in 5 pieces (overall width 19.5”) and fits through the doorway of a standard balcony cabin with no problem. I used it for our last 7 cruises. I don’t need an accessible cabin yet, but I know they are very scarce. Is there any possibility you could rent a smaller scooter? Hope you find a solution.

From Carnival’s website……….We strongly encourage guests to inform us if they are traveling with wheelchairs/scooters at the time of booking, or as soon as the need is known, to ensure they have a stateroom that best accommodates their needs.

Guests who bring scooters that are larger than 21" (53.34 cm) wide, or travel with multiple scooters in the same stateroom, must purchase a fully accessible stateroom with a wider doorway (32”, 81.3 cm), or rent a smaller scooter appropriately suited for their stateroom. Scooters that do not fit in the stateroom will not be allowed on board. Should a guest be unable to make alternate arrangements to rent a smaller scooter or travel without it, he/she will be denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

• Like 1

My mother in law thought she was going to break her wide scooter down on board and tried to get away with leaving it in the hallway outside her cabin overnight. After being warned she continued to leave her extra wide scooter in the hallway and it was taken to guest services where she had to go retrieve it each day. She admits she would have done been better to get by for the week on a rental that was sized to access a standard cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Thanks everyone 

The mobility questionnaire has been completed. The scooter is 22 inches wide 

You can contact the Special Needs Dept, complete the medical documentation and they will bump anyone who has not provided medical documentation out of an accessible room in your category.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:44 PM, rainbowflag said:

My mother in law thought she was going to break her wide scooter down on board and tried to get away with leaving it in the hallway outside her cabin overnight. After being warned she continued to leave her extra wide scooter in the hallway and it was taken to guest services where she had to go retrieve it each day. She admits she would have done been better to get by for the week on a rental that was sized to access a standard cabin.

I actually wish that was an offered option but I have been told it is not, it's interesting that they did this after leaving it in the hall. Our next cruise I found a scooter that collapses but am still worried about it fitting in our room (Mardi Gras Balcony with 4 people so the bed is closer to the door). I even asked John Heald and he said they didn't have a place to store them by guest services that we could park and retrieve each night.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thewynn said:

I actually wish that was an offered option but I have been told it is not, it's interesting that they did this after leaving it in the hall. Our next cruise I found a scooter that collapses but am still worried about it fitting in our room (Mardi Gras Balcony with 4 people so the bed is closer to the door). I even asked John Heald and he said they didn't have a place to store them by guest services that we could park and retrieve each night.

They didn't bring it to guest services as a courtesy to its owner. They took it to guest services because leaving it outside one's cabin is against the rules and regulation a major safety violation. 

If I were Carnival, I would have charged this person for storage and for the hassle involved in relocating this scooter every night. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, thewynn said:

It’s not an option, because there isn’t space for everyone to do it. They did it in this case because leaving it in the hallway is a safety hazard. I use a scooter and have been trapped more than once because someone parked theirs in the hall. I hate to think what would have happened had there been an emergency. I would have basically been stranded until the owner was located or someone strong enough happened by. I advise booking an accessible room. It will solve your issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Just got off Disney cruise. They had a place to park scooters, wheelchairs and strollers each night with several outlets for charging.

That’s Disney, not Carnival. I was able to do the same with them, but it’s not an option on most other lines. They have lobby areas on their ships that don’t exist in carnival. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You can contact the Special Needs Dept, complete the medical documentation and they will bump anyone who has not provided medical documentation out of an accessible room in your category.  

Not true. They CANNOT require documentation for accessible room, just an attestation that you require one, which you have to do at booking, so everyone who has booked and accessible room has already attested to needing it. 

Edited by cheer25mom

36 minutes ago, cheer25mom said:

Not true. They CANNOT require documentation for accessible room, just an attestation that you require one, which you have to do at booking, so everyone who has booked and accessible room has already attested to needing it. 

That is DOCUMENTATION.  You do not have to do so at booking.  ANYONE can book one. 

ACCESSIBLE STATEROOMS

Our ships have specially designed staterooms for guests using wheelchairs, or those who have mobility limitations and could benefit from the features of an accessible stateroom. We request our guests to acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing this Mobility Questionnaire, or one will be sent to you once the reservation has been secured and you have notified Carnival that you, or the person you are securing the stateroom for, requires the accessibility features of the stateroom.

If an accessible stateroom is booked by a guest who does not need the accessibility features in the stateroom, they may at any time be moved to a non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, staceyglow said:

They didn't bring it to guest services as a courtesy to its owner. They took it to guest services because leaving it outside one's cabin is against the rules and regulation a major safety violation. 

If I were Carnival, I would have charged this person for storage and for the hassle involved in relocating this scooter every night. 

we totally agree, 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheer25mom said:

It’s not an option, because there isn’t space for everyone to do it. They did it in this case because leaving it in the hallway is a safety hazard. I use a scooter and have been trapped more than once because someone parked theirs in the hall. I hate to think what would have happened had there been an emergency. I would have basically been stranded until the owner was located or someone strong enough happened by. I advise booking an accessible room. It will solve your issues. 

Wish a 4 person accessible balcony was an option but as we recently discovered, Carnival has very limited 4 person accessible cabins on some of their ships and none on others. Neither our upcoming Mardi Gras or Vista even offer 4 person accessible rooms. 

We will make do, I just found it interesting that this person was able to park theirs at guest services, even though it’s not an option. 

2 hours ago, thewynn said:

We will make do, I just found it interesting that this person was able to park theirs at guest services, even though it’s not an option. 

The scooter was taken to " scooter jail. " After being warned she left it out overnight a second time so the the safety violation was rightfully impounded. A form letter was left in the mail box of her cabin explaining the process to access the scooter from jail. I agree with the poster who said she should have had to pay a daily charge for use of the scooter jail.

Edited by rainbowflag
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone 

Carnival responded promptly and my concerns are resolved.

Thank you for your email.  Please be advised of the following procedure as it relates to your request.

On 9/18 you spoke to a Guest Access Agent who reviewed your cabin dimensions as a non converted AAC (ambulatory accessible stateroom).  

Our accessible cabins fleet wide will be going through a re-categorization in the near future. However, for your current sailing onboard the Carnival Liberty your assigned ambulatory accessible cabin  will have the accessibility features that will accommodate your needs such as a wider entry doorway and no step or lip into the bathroom. It will not have turnaround space in the cabin or bathroom and it will have a 7-8” lip onto your balcony, if applicable.

Please know that in the near future our ambulatory accessible cabins will lose their accessibility features during the conversion process and will not be suitable to accommodate a limited or no mobility guest or guest traveling with wider wheelchairs, scooters or walkers. 

We look forward to providing you a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.  See you on board!

I wonder why they are going to take away ambulatory accessible staterooms? I also wonder when they plan on telling us that have those kind of rooms already booked far in advanced? We have one booked for 2025 on Dream, but according to your email, they may not even have them by then.

1 hour ago, lubedobedo said:

I wonder why they are going to take away ambulatory accessible staterooms? I also wonder when they plan on telling us that have those kind of rooms already booked far in advanced? We have one booked for 2025 on Dream, but according to your email, they may not even have them by then.

They aren’t taking away ambulatory access. The grab bars and railings are staying. They will just no longer have the wider doorways that accommodate larger scooters. Issue is people booking them expecting space for a scooter, then parking it in the hall when they see it’s just a regular size cabin 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is DOCUMENTATION.  You do not have to do so at booking.  ANYONE can book one. 

ACCESSIBLE STATEROOMS

Our ships have specially designed staterooms for guests using wheelchairs, or those who have mobility limitations and could benefit from the features of an accessible stateroom. We request our guests to acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing this Mobility Questionnaire, or one will be sent to you once the reservation has been secured and you have notified Carnival that you, or the person you are securing the stateroom for, requires the accessibility features of the stateroom.

If an accessible stateroom is booked by a guest who does not need the accessibility features in the stateroom, they may at any time be moved to a non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

Yes, anyone can book one, but as part of the booking process, you must attest that you have a need that requires one., not your doctor. You do not have to provide any proof. You cannot book and accessible room without agreeing to the attestation, and that is all that they can required so everyone who has booked an accessible room has already done all that can be required. You CANNOT book an accessible stateroom,  online, by phone, or through and agent without the attestation. 

They cannot ask you to document that need via a doctor, as you suggested. They ask you to fill out the mobility questionnaire, but it also DOES NOT ask for any medical documentation. It asks you what equipment you will be bringing and what assistance you may require. NO medical information included, and it is completely optional. No one is required to fill it out, so no they will not “bump” anyone out of an accessible room because they didn’t provide documentation of their medical condition. They can only ask you to attest that you have one, not what it is or ask for any proof. 

Edited by cheer25mom

14 hours ago, cheer25mom said:

Yes, anyone can book one, but as part of the booking process, you must attest that you have a need that requires one., not your doctor. You do not have to provide any proof. You cannot book and accessible room without agreeing to the attestation, and that is all that they can required so everyone who has booked an accessible room has already done all that can be required. You CANNOT book an accessible stateroom,  online, by phone, or through and agent without the attestation. 

They cannot ask you to document that need via a doctor, as you suggested. They ask you to fill out the mobility questionnaire, but it also DOES NOT ask for any medical documentation. It asks you what equipment you will be bringing and what assistance you may require. NO medical information included, and it is completely optional. No one is required to fill it out, so no they will not “bump” anyone out of an accessible room because they didn’t provide documentation of their medical condition. They can only ask you to attest that you have one, not what it is or ask for any proof. 

I have booked two accessible cabins.  I DID NOT say anything about a doctor.  Yes, you will be moved should the form NOT be on file and someone else has completed the form.  

On 9/22/2023 at 9:00 AM, Elaine5715 said:

I have booked two accessible cabins.  I DID NOT say anything about a doctor.  Yes, you will be moved should the form NOT be on file and someone else has completed the form.  

You are not understanding. The CANNOT ask you anything about a doctor. That's what you were implying by saying you need documentation. You DO have to check a box saying you have a disability that requires an accessible room in order to book said room, that is called a attestation. It is NOT POSSIBLE to book an accessible room without doing this. NO THEY WILL NOT move you, UNLESS they find out you lied when you booked. The form is completely separate from the attestation and  IS NOT REQUIRED of anyone It has zero bearing on you keeping an accessible room. The ONLY thing that determines that is the ATTESTATION, which you MUST do in order to book the room, so everyone who has an accessible room BY DEFAULT has done it. 

Edited by cheer25mom

On 9/22/2023 at 9:24 AM, Purvis1231 said:

I doubt anyone will measure it so I would not sweat it. Enjoy

The 21 inches is the width of the cabin door. It doesn't matter if it gets measured or not, it won't fit in the cabin, so they will have no place to put it, so they cannot take it without an accessible room. 

• Like 1