Alaska Dress Code More Casual?

5 in OK

I recently read on another thread that HAL's dress code for Alaska was a little more relaxed and casual than the warm water cruises - even on formal nights. If this is accurate then it will, of course, alter my packing list.

Please advise.:)

I agree with Lougee - evening wear was according to dress code - formal - many men in tuxes & women in long dresses. During the day, because of ports, jean were seen, but everyone, mostly, followed the dress codes for evenings.

Especially if sailing in June or July, the extended daylight may encourage some people, particularly if they are on first seating, to change clothes or put on outerware for sightseeing after dinner. Probably for this reason, the cruise line will usually not schedule a formal night when there is a lot of scenic cruising going on in the evening.

This is my experience from just one cruise. No, the dress code doesn't change, but IMO the compliance with it does. We cruised last May and I doubt that more than 10% of the men were in tuxes on formal night, and there was a lot of changing after dinner. I would have sworn the second formal night was an informal designation and the other nights were designated denim nights.

Might have been an out-of-range data point though

I have sailed Alaska 12 times and no I don't see any difference in formal night attire compared to other locations- 36 cruises total. :) But certainly a wide range of formal attire, you don't have to go "all out" if not your style. :)

I recently read on another thread that HAL's dress code for Alaska was a little more relaxed and casual than the warm water cruises - even on formal nights. If this is accurate then it will, of course, alter my packing list.

I've found that typical 7-day Caribbean and Alaska itineraries are definitely more on the casual side. Even formal night is not done up as much as it would be on the longer, more exotic itineraries.

Of course, this is not to say that you can walk into the dining room in jeans and a tee-shirt ... but let's say that I've gotten away with a nice blouse and slacks, with a blazer thrown over them for good measure ... on formal nights on a Caribbean cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is my experience from just one cruise. No, the dress code doesn't change, but IMO the compliance with it does.

And that's the important thing. You don't feel "out of place" if you don't want to get all gussied up on formal night ... but just want to dress nicely. If just about everyone else has the same idea, you fit right in and feel very comfortable with your choice of attire. But if everyone else was dressed to the nine's, you would be more inclined to either comply or plan on a nice dinner in the Lido, followed by a relaxing evening in your cabin that particular night.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 1 month later...

After four cruises in Alaska, on three different lines, I have not noticed any difference in dress on fomal nights from other cruises tht we have taken. In fact since the weather is cooler than in many other parts of the world, it is easier , for a man at least, to put on a jacket now and again, without feeling too uncomfortable. john

Trojan Cruiser

I find it interesting that your upcoming 5/7 Ryndam cruise documents list 2 formal and 5 casual nights.

The docs for our 5/9 Volendam sailing list 2 formal, 1 informal and 4 causal evenings.

As they are both 7 night Alaska sailings, I wonder why the attire schedule is different? It might be due to yours being a Northbound sailing vs. our R/T from Vancouver.

Does anyone else have a May Alaska sailing on another ship? If so, what dress code schedule is outlined on your docs?

B

We are on the first Ryndam Alaskan sailing May 7th and our documents say 2 Formal and 5 Casual.

Now it has been since May 2004 since we went to Alaska on the Oosterdam but I will say we were somewhat shocked at how casual the dress really was. At the time this was the second cruise after DH bought his Tux, that cruise he had even bought tux shoes and new fancy button studs that he wanted to show off;) . We also had friends cruising with us that it was their first cruise and were totally against dressing up. We were shocked to say the least at how few were actually dressed up and we almost felt like we lied to our friends. I think they felt we mislead them. I think on the second formal night DH was one of just two men wearing a tux.(the first night maybe had 4 that we could count) I think he even had a few other passengers thinking he was staff:eek: As for the other nights we saw everything from Bib Overhauls to jeans and jogging outfits. It almost all the cases we were the ones dressed up the most.

We too had the idea in our minds that Alaska would be a cruise that was more dressed up because men would not mind wearing suit jackets or a tux because it was cooler but we were definitely wrong.

From our experience the first time it will not change how we dress, Tom will still bring his Tux and I my sparkeling long formal dresses. I will be reporting Live from the ship so the night of Monday May 8th will be our first Formal night and I will report what I see.:)

This is my experience from just one cruise. No, the dress code doesn't change, but IMO the compliance with it does. We cruised last May and I doubt that more than 10% of the men were in tuxes on formal night, and there was a lot of changing after dinner. I would have sworn the second formal night was an informal designation and the other nights were designated denim nights.

Might have been an out-of-range data point though

No, I've noticed the same thing. On the seven-night cruises, compliance with the dress code is very spotty. I've seen the same thing on 7-night Caribbean runs. The reason for this is probably a lot more families and younger couples on those cruises ... many of them don't care to play "dress up" and don't see any reason why they should have to on their vacation. So, they smile at the dress code designation and then do what they see fit.

But book a longer or more exotic cruise, and you'll find gowns and tuxes galore on formal night, and people dressed up even on casual nights.

Just all depends on the passenger demographic for that particular cruise. Longer = older folks and others who generally like dressing up. Shorter = younger, many sailing with their kids. Who wants to bother getting dressed up just to eat a meal?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Cruise docs say 2 Formal, 1 Informal and 4 Casual. Now that one Informal night really gets me because with packing tight already, if we follow the dress code it requires bringing a sport coat for DH to wear for only one night. Would really prefer not to have to take it so I wish we had the "5 Casual" designation. I love the formal nights but those pesky informal nights always seem like some kind of limbo between formal and casual. Marilyn

The informal night does mess up the packing, however this year I am wearing a sports coat to all formal/informal nights. Makes the packing so much easier, and yes I have to say Alaska is much less dressier than the Caribbean.

I was on HAL's Alaska cruise last summer, and a 7 day Caribbean this past Feb - I noticed that on the Caribbean cruise, people dressed up more than on the Alaskan - I can think of 2 reasons why this may be:

1- on the Alaskan cruise, there wwere more "younger" and family groups on board - so that may have explained the less formal attire...they dressed in nice "cocktail casual" clothes - and not as many tuxes- which you would expect with a younger crowd (30's-40's range,)

2- possibly because there are more clothes to pack for the cold and warm on the Alaska cruise, some people may leave out the more formal attire and opt for something that co-ordinates more with the other clothes...I know we packed capris, long pants, jog outfits for land excursions, raingear, sweater, etc - so the emphasis may not be put on the 1 or 2 nights that require "formal" wear . I did bring a long black skirt- but opted for my 2 cocktail dresses (mid-calf lenth) instead. On the Caribbean I wore my long black skirt both formal nights - with different tops.

I did notice on the Veendam the display of the formal tux rental -(there was a dummy made up with complete attire)...but did not come across it on the Caribbean cruise -

CJcruzer

I forgot to mention - this past cruise to the Caribbean, my hubby did not take a sports jacket for informal night - he has a navy blue suit he wears for formal nights (change of tie and shirt) and then he has nice casual pants for the informal night - he just slipped his suit jacket on for dinner - after dinner, he just walked around with his nice pants and long sleeved shirt - it did eliminate one extra bulky jacket!!! After dinner you saw a lot of men without their jackets on, but still dressed nicely....

CJcruzer

I've personally found the dress to be a little more formal on cruises to Alaska that I've sailed; as opposed to Hawaii, Mexican Riviera or Caribbean cruises where people tend to pack much lighter and more casual clothing.

People are usually trekking around all day in Alaska in their jeans on excursions and like to dress up more at night.

Dave

Archived