Info please…..

suech1970

Sailing Reflection in couple of weeks, Rome to Barcelona. Wanted to know if anyone was charged VAT (not gratuities)for drinks purchased on board while either in port or in Spanish, Italian or French waters? If so we’re you on drinks package or pay as you go.

Seeing conflicting stories on the boards.

Thanks all 😁

I believe as long as you buy your beverage package while outside the EU (like before you go) you shouldn't be charged VAT on included drinks.   I think it also depends on the sailing.  If your itinerary doesn't leave the EU then VAT is collected on any onboard purchase.  This is nothing new and why many itineraries visit at least 1 non-EU port.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe as long as you buy your beverage package while outside the EU (like before you go) you shouldn't be charged VAT on included drinks.   I think it also depends on the sailing.  If your itinerary doesn't leave the EU then VAT is collected on any onboard purchase.  This is nothing new and why many itineraries visit at least 1 non-EU port.

I think it used to be Gibraltar

Edited by hcat

Thanks all for replies😁

I hadn’t read anything about leaving EU to exempt from VAT, sadly this doesn’t apply on our cruise. We are quite used to paying taxi in US ports, but nothing after that as we usually sail the Caribbean. It never occurred to me about EU VAT and doing the maths on our average consumption on cruises it could be quite a bit😖

I guess I’ll find out in 17 days, we’ll fear the worse and hope for the best.

CHEERS🍹🥃🍸🥂🍷🍻

😖😡

I did read a notification from NCL saying that VAT was applicable for cruises departing from Spanish ports. 
Hubby did say it would be up to the individual countries to collect the VAT, clutching at straws I know😆

Thanks again!

You may find this useful :

https://www.travelandleisureasia.com/in/travel-tips/planning/how-to-claim-your-vat-refund-in-europe/

We have successfully reclaimed at least part of VAT on onboard purchases, at an airport (after a cruise) before flying back to Australia.

I'm not sure whether the same applies to a wine package though.

Good luck!

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

You may find this useful :

https://www.travelandleisureasia.com/in/travel-tips/planning/how-to-claim-your-vat-refund-in-europe/

We have successfully reclaimed at least part of VAT on onboard purchases, at an airport (after a cruise) before flying back to Australia.

I'm not sure whether the same applies to a wine package though.

Good luck!

The VAT refund is for items purchased in the EU and taken out of the EU. Things like hotels, restaurants, and other goods “consumed” in the EU don’t count. If you take home shoes from Mallorca, you can refund the VAT. If you pay to have your shoes shined, you won’t get a VAT refund. If you take a case of wine out of the EU, you can get a VAT refund. If you drink a case of wine in the EU, no refund. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucket List Ticked said:

So I’m sailing from Athens to Ravenna in Italy and all stops appear to be in the EU. We have included Premium package. 

Are you saying each drink we buy will have VAT added to our room account? Or not as we are not sailing from Spain….

Thanks! 

I believe if you bought the package on the ship VAT would be charged 

but since you have it before your on the ship it is not charged 

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 12:39 AM, wrk2cruise said:

We have had the beverage package, purchased within EU and have never payed VAT on the drinks on sailings in EU...