Old things

Harrisonkid

22 hours ago, Harrisonkid said:

We were going thru some old things this week  and found a complete list of all passengers from a Sovereign of the Seas cruise. For those that don't remember they use to print a paperback book with a list of all passengers listed and put it in each stateroom...any one else have remember old traditions?

No, I don't remember that.  

But I remember when they used to sell a cookbook with the MDR's recipes.  My husband bought me one for Christmas -- being thrifty, he bought it off ebay, and the recipes were not great.  

21 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Have a ShipShape visor (and maybe a t-shirt that doesn't fit 😄 ).  Have several glasses with ship's name (Song of America, Nordic Prince).  Also have a passenger list for Song of America and maybe Nordic Prince.

ETA:  I remember twice a day stateroom service.  🙃  Also chocolates on the pillow, midnight buffets, no specialty restaurants, no slides, no ice rinks, no balconies, $2(?) drinks, high cruise fares (oh, wait, they have returned 😞 ).

Too soon to talk about twice a day stateroom service -- lots of us are still pissed about that.  

I never cared about the midnight buffet. 

I remember when the specialty restaurants were called Adults-only Restaurants, then people complained that "their children had sophisticated tastes and would love the opportunity to eat in these restaurants". 

I remember getting luggage tickets in the mail.  

• Like 3

After dinner shots, you keep the glass.Shots.thumb.jpeg.ee7755ba00864708b397b9ec55ccdd04.jpeg

Ship Shape activities, medals and the stuff you could "buy" with Ship Shape dollars ... and "better" prizes:

• Photo album
  • ID & Passport case
  • Travel toiletry bag (razor, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shaving cream)
  • Note pad with case and pen
  • Zippered shopping bag
  • Shoulder satchel
  • Small collection of medals.

SSStuff.thumb.jpeg.6d184306c8f0aad5c619eba8ee7502fb.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TYMAN said:

I have a fanny pack and hanging bag from mid 1990's Sovereign of the Seas cruise. I also have these unopened Coca Cola cans from a 2009 Oasis cruise. 

RCCL1.jpg

RCCL2.jpg

Don’t mean to change the subject, but what kind of lights are your blocks sitting on? I’m guessing they are lights.

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Don’t mean to change the subject, but what kind of lights are your blocks sitting on? I’m guessing they are lights.

Got them from Amazon. They light up four or five different colors. I'll take a pic of them lighted when I get back home. This shelf is my 26year old son's blocks. Ours are in my closet. 😉 

Light Base.png

2009 Oasis.jpg

• Like 1

Our 1990 cruise on the Carla Costa was a converted World War 2 destroyer.  We were on a lower deck and going to and from the elevator we had to pass through bulk heads.  The medal oval openings with a heavy metal door and a round device in the middle of the door to secure it.  We had to duck our heads and lift our legs to avoid banging our shins, and nocking our noggins.  Some rooms had a pole in the middle!

Nordic Empress was our first cruise in 1990. One of our coolest cruise was on the S.S. Norway. So much Teak and kind of crazy how hallways would run sideways off the main hallway. Oh, and smoking was allowed in the cabins back then, we had to walk past clouds of smoke to get to our cabin. Ugh

3 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

Nordic Empress was our first cruise in 1990. One of our coolest cruise was on the S.S. Norway. So much Teak and kind of crazy how hallways would run sideways off the main hallway. Oh, and smoking was allowed in the cabins back then, we had to walk past clouds of smoke to get to our cabin. Ugh

When the Pacific Princess - aka The Love Boat, spent its last year as a Princess ship doing NY to Bermuda cruises, we just had to go on it. It was so hard to get around just like what you said for Empress. On day 1, I saw from an upper deck a sun deck below that I liked and it took me the whole week to figure out how to get to it! I’m not kidding! It was so confusing and it was a small ship! Only 680 passengers on that cruise.

So glad we did it, it was our all time favorite cruise,  the cruise director was so good.  I don’t know who she was but she was hilarious. And the food was absolutely delicious!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

When the Pacific Princess - aka The Love Boat, spent its last year as a Princess ship doing NY to Bermuda cruises, we just had to go on it. It was so hard to get around just like what you said for Empress. On day 1, I saw from an upper deck a sun deck below that I liked and it took me the whole week to figure out how to get to it! I’m not kidding! It was so confusing and it was a small ship! Only 680 passengers on that cruise.

So glad we did it, it was our all time favorite cruise,  the cruise director was so good.  I don’t know who she was but she was hilarious. And the food was absolutely delicious!!

We sailed Sovereign over a dozen times when we lived in Jax. Then Majesty/Monarch. What a difference between those ships and the Oasis class. Boarding the Wonder this Sunday. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

We sailed Sovereign over a dozen times when we lived in Jax. Then Majesty/Monarch. What a difference between those ships and the Oasis class. Boarding the Wonder this Sunday. 

Majesty was first cruise. Amazing how different than the Oasis class!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TYMAN said:

One of our coolest cruise was on the S.S. Norway. 

5 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

When the Pacific Princess - aka The Love Boat, spent its last year as a Princess ship doing NY to Bermuda cruises, we just had to go on it.

I wanted to sail on both of those ships but never did.  😞

We did see Pacific Princess sailing between ports in Bermuda.  We were on Celebrity Horizon (a small ship) and Pacific Princess looked like a lifeboat.  😄