Iceland vs. Greenland

Hobar

Went to Iceland this summer.  Loved the cruise (had Aussie friends surprise us, SB was close to pre-COVID std) but less than enthralled with Iceland.  (IMO, there are many more beautiful places to which I’ve been including where I live.)  Since I love cold weather cruises, looking for new options.  Alaska, done; SA, done; Antarctica later this year.  Looking at Greenland - how does it compare to Iceland?  Is it more exotic and scenic?  All opinions welcome.  If too much like Iceland, then not interested, but wondering if it’s different and, if so, how??  (And please, no judgment - just opinions.)

There’s a saying that Iceland should be called Greenland and Greenland should be called Iceland; we found that to be true. We enjoyed both but found Greenland to be the more scenic and more untouched. Our zodiac tour through prince Christian sound was spectacular.

IMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.3cfe57243214da8e625affc134d25fff.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kjbacon said:

There’s a saying that Iceland should be called Greenland and Greenland should be called Iceland; we found that to be true. We enjoyed both but found Greenland to be the more scenic and more untouched. Our zodiac tour through prince Christian sound was spectacular.

IMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.3cfe57243214da8e625affc134d25fff.jpeg

Ditto.  Preferred Greenland to Iceland for scenery and it’s quite remote comparatively. 

• Like 2

Greenland is less touristy, obviously, and scenery is different.  I loved the town of Nuuk though most Seabourn cruises don’t go there.  Sadly we could not do PC Sound as the weather was too foggy and too much pack ice.  I do like Iceland though and have been three times.  Some of the scenery in Iceland is incredible and best done by land.

I would not hesitate going back to either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:53 PM, Hobar said:

Looking at Greenland - how does it compare to Iceland?  Is it more exotic and scenic?

Very different feel. Greenland is much more "surface of the moon" type experience where it's very rugged and not a landscape you traditionally find yourself in. Iceland was wonderful, but not so different than Ireland or Scotland.

My strong recommendation (or at least what I plan to do when we can get schedules to line up), is to look for a late summer itinerary that includes Scoreby Sund. It's supposed to be amazing. Sadly, on our cruise a few months ago in early July the ice was too thick and we had to go to South Greenland instead. Still amazing scenery, but I've been told Scoresby is on another level.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, markandjie said:

Very different feel. Greenland is much more "surface of the moon" type experience where it's very rugged and not a landscape you traditionally find yourself in. Iceland was wonderful, but not so different than Ireland or Scotland.

My strong recommendation (or at least what I plan to do when we can get schedules to line up), is to look for a late summer itinerary that includes Scoreby Sund. It's supposed to be amazing. Sadly, on our cruise a few months ago in early July the ice was too thick and we had to go to South Greenland instead. Still amazing scenery, but I've been told Scoresby is on another level.

Yeah I saw some video of Greenland early in the season (Ponant) and it was covered with ice and snow, lovely but way less chances to do a lot of things. Go in August if you can. Also good thing there is almost no place to spend money in Greenland because Iceland is almost insulting price wise 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:53 PM, Hobar said:

... Looking at Greenland - how does it compare to Iceland?  Is it more exotic and scenic?  All opinions welcome.  If too much like Iceland, then not interested, but wondering if it’s different and, if so, how??  (And please, no judgment - just opinions.)

We booked a last-minute Venture cruise to Iceland & Greenland this past summer.  It was within a month of sailing, so we did no research and went with no expectations.  This was very atypical for us, as we are usually armed with endless research and must-see lists before heading out. 

We had been to Iceland before and had already experienced its outstanding natural wonders and vibrant urban life.  Icelanders are a hardy sort and certainly know how to party hard!  Despite its somewhat remote location, Iceland still has a very western feel.  Greenland, on the other hand, feels more remote and exotic.  It is a vast landmass with elements of Norway (fjords), Chile (glaciers) and Antarctica (icebergs).  The culture is predominantly Inuit which lends a unique feel even in small urban centres.  While we really liked Iceland, we loved Greenland.

Our positive impression was no doubt influenced by the weather.  We had brilliant sunshine almost every day.  The expedition team told us that Greenland weather is usually unpredictable and not nearly as good as we had.  I'm sure we would have come away with a different impression if it had been dreary and cold.  In addition to breathtaking scenery, we saw lots of wildlife including humpbacks, orcas, fin whales, bearded seals, musk ox.  We also had the good fortune to see the Northern Lights which was a real treat.

This impromptu cruise turned out to be one of our best ever, with Greenland tipping the scales.  It has become one of our favorite places on the planet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We returned 2 weeks ago from the North Pole.  Wrote a review but for some reason it hasn't posted.  That was the ultimate experience but not much wild life except for that female polar bear that made us all run back to the ship...  been to Greenland and Iceland multiple times and yes who ever named them was confused, each have their appeal IMO.  I actually prefer Norway.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You made it to the actual North Pole?   Thought only a few naval subs were able to go there.   Great that you were able to break the ice in this ship!

Yes it is the only PC2 class ship in the world, it is an amazing ship as far as the technology goes.  Only Russian nuclear icebreakers are more powerful.  Other countries ice breakers are PC3.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, markandjie said:

Ah, so envious! I hope y'all make it in and see all the things!

I first have to survive the Polar Plunge in Antarctica this November.  Love all you posted on that thread :0. You are so kind.  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hobar said:

I first have to survive the Polar Plunge in Antarctica this November.  Love all you posted on that thread :0. You are so kind.  

Great month for Antartica, tons of snow will make it even more magic (and snow makes it penguin smell more acceptable :-))

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Good for you @Hobar.  I hope you have a blast.  We loved our Greenland trip so much that we're actually considering a repeat voyage next summer with a slightly different itinerary.  This time we'd include the much acclaimed Scoresby!

We’re going Aug 5, 2023.  Let us know if you will be on that voyage, on the Venture. 

I will be contrarian and say that DW and I prefer Iceland although cruising through Prince Christensund is an amazing highlight.  We have visited Iceland 4 times and Greenland 3 times and like in most places, we find lots of advantages to doing our own thing (vs cruise line excursions) and going where we please.  In Iceland, there is something to say about renting a car at Reykjavík while Greenland does have challenges to both the independent traveler as well as those on tours.  Keep in mind that most of the Greenland ports (Nuuk is the exception) are small isolated villages where one can explore the entire place in a couple of hours (on foot).  We do think that Greenland is well suited for exploration cruise ships (and excursions on zodiacs) while Iceland is a place that can be explored with a car.

Hank

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:02 PM, Hobar said:

We’re going Aug 5, 2023.  Let us know if you will be on that voyage, on the Venture. 

You picked a great date @Hobar with or without a time machine!  We actually were on Venture in Greenland on Aug 5, 2023 and shortly after midnight, got a wake-up call announcing the Northern Lights.  We're now looking at a couple of different 14-day sailings in mid-late August 2024. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

You picked a great date @Hobar with or without a time machine!  We actually were on Venture in Greenland on Aug 5, 2023 and shortly after midnight, got a wake-up call announcing the Northern Lights.  We're now looking at a couple of different 14-day sailings in mid-late August 2024. 

Haha. So excited. if we get to see the Northern Lights, that would be unbelievable, but I have no expectations. All I know is that Greenland looks absolutely gorgeous. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hobar said:

All I know is that Greenland looks absolutely gorgeous.

It is! We did the southwest and southeastern coast on a Silversea expedition ship a few years ago. It was so great that we're booked on the Venture to continue up the west coast (read: more glacial icebergs!) and then across to northeastern Canada next fall. 

• Like 1