Halifax Tours

LuCruise

Fellow Canadian and we booked a Royal cruise that goes to Halifax next year.  Never been out there so looking at excursions or what to do.  There are a few interesting ones but I've also read two reports of bus tours where the stops were interesting but the person running it was horrible (which can just be luck of the dray, but strange 2 people said it for different tours)

Has anyone done any of the following and have any comments (good or bad)?  There are through Royal but I'm sure they are also offered on other lines.

• Peggy's Cove and Titanic
  • Highlights and Peggy's Cove
  • Top 10 Best of Halifax
  • Historic Halifax Walking Tour
  • Art and Architecture Walking Tour

Am also interested in visiting the Maritime Museum for the Titanic part, but my understanding is that is walking distance to the port.

Thanks.

We've been to Halifax several times on cruises, and we like it a lot.  We have never even remotely considered doing a tour; there is so much of interest within walking distance that we always just DIY.  The boardwalk, the Maritime Museum (yes, walkable, along the boardwalk), Citadel, botanic gardens, food kiosks, breweries, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We've been to Halifax several times on cruises, and we like it a lot.  We have never even remotely considered doing a tour; there is so much of interest within walking distance that we always just DIY.  The boardwalk, the Maritime Museum (yes, walkable, along the boardwalk), Citadel, botanic gardens, food kiosks, breweries, etc.

Thanks.  Good to know!  Would you recommend this, even for a first timer?

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from my Canada/New England cruise yesterday. Absolutely loved Halifax and highly recommend Mel from Down East Tours. It was the best excursion we've ever done and since it was private, we were able to customize it to what we wanted to see.  I actually found Mel to be slightly cheaper than the cruise line. Plus, all your money is going to the local economy and not the cruise line.

https://www.downeasttours.ca/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/10/2024 at 4:18 PM, Slyfox16 said:

Has anyone used Cruise-Express' Zeebrugge to Bruges Cruise Shuttle Service? How far are they from the cruise terminal and how close are they to the center of Bruges?

Did this get posted in the wrong place?  Worth trying again?

Once we did a ship excursion that included Peggy's Cove as well as the Titanic passenger burial ground.  Normally, we don't do ship tours (preferring independent bookings) but I was really glad this one was a ship excursion as on our return to Halifax, we ran into a lot of traffic and were late returning to the ship.  It was nice not having to worry that we would be left at the dock.

Halifax itself, is very walkable if you are used to hills and we have done this twice now on our own.  Highly recommend their Botanical Gardens, the Citadel and the Titanic Museum.

Thanks so much. This is good to know as we usually book independent as well, but are traveling with another couple, who would prefer ship's tours.

On 2/24/2024 at 2:01 PM, lynncarol said:

Halifax itself, is very walkable if you are used to hills and we have done this twice now on our own.  Highly recommend their Botanical Gardens, the Citadel and the Titanic Museum.

Very walkable and a good DIY port unless you are leaving town.  (And if you don't feel like the long uphill walk to the Botanical Gardens and the Citadel -- both well worth seeing -- just take a cab.)

I also highly recommend the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. It's fascinating, historical, and emotional, and we wound up spending far more time there than we'd expected, it was that great. 

• Like 1