Live from Solstice 10/1/23 Transpacific

tigervixxxen

7 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Did Auckland to Sydney the first year Celebrity did it on Mercury.  Spent a week in NZ on the South island prior to the cruise.  Loved NZ.

In January we are doing our first Windstar cruise on one of their motor yachts  from Auckland to Tahiti via Fiji 15 days.  We are flying to Auckland about a week before and going to spend 3 days in the Bay of Islands area which we didn't get to last time.

We are from the east coast so it's taken us this long to agree to the long flight again.  This time we are going to overnight in LA each direction.  With the prices could only go for premium economy and even so ouch!   Business would have been 1.5x the cruise price.

We too are flying back premium economy. Air Canada let’s you bid on business class so we put in an offer, fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2023 at 8:02 AM, tigervixxxen said:

Ive seen some heat wave temps in Sydney, we can definitely leave the 90 degrees behind lol.

We are looking forward to your reports, as we will join the ship in Sydney bound for Singapore.

Of particular interest are on board temperature, music volume and food.

Wishing you smooth seas and a relaxing cruise!

The forecast temperature for Sydney on the day you arrive and we depart is 24C.

We are on this cruise.   B2B2B.  Alaska to Sidney.    On the airfare for people looking at this itinerary in future,  we booked Jetstar Airlines from SYD to HNL.   Then Southwest FROM HNL to ATL.  $275  on the Jetstar Flights.   SOUTHWEST is usually $350 from HNL to east coast.  We used miles and companion pass.   We easily saved $1300 per ticket over booking a major carrier all the way which would have been $2000 per ticket. 

Edited by ptcflyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ptcflyer said:

We are on this cruise.   B2B2B.  Alaska to Sidney.    On the airfare for people looking at this itinerary in future,  we booked Jetstar Airlines from SYD to HNL.   Then Southwest FROM HNL to ATL.  $275  on the Jetstar Flights.   SOUTHWEST is usually $350 from HNL to east coast.  We used miles and companion pass.   We easily saved $1300 per ticket over booking a major carrier all the way which would have been $2000 per ticket. 

Did you read any reviews before booking? Comments by @Boatharbour on Jetstar are quite correct.

Make sure you have excellent travel insurance to cover the cost of flight cancellation, food and  accommodation in Sydney.

Enjoy your cruise and best of luck for your flights home.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Did you read any reviews before booking? Comments by @Boatharbour on Jetstar are quite correct.

Make sure you have excellent travel insurance to cover the cost of flight cancellation, food and  accommodation in Sydney.

Enjoy your cruise and best of luck for your flights home.

Flew Jetstar from HNL to SYD before.   Perfect flight.    Buy your baggage allowance in advance.  Flights are on newish 787.    No frills.  I follow this flight and it goes with little hitch.    Jetstar did have a lot if operational issues....but do carry travel insurance.     But it is important to know that people have options for one-stop or two stop connections to SYD or BNE for cruise offerings.   When I have the opportunity to save two to three thousand dollars for 2 pax ...  I roll the dice with the Jetstar / Southwest HNL connection. 

Edited by ptcflyer

We made it to Honolulu! Up early today, haven’t gotten used to the time change from the US yet but that’s ok, we’ll enjoy some breakfasts before we get used to it. Going to head to the ship in a couple hours, we have a 11:30 embarkation slot. We stayed at the Ala Moana hotel overnight and I’d recommend it. I wanted an option that’s not Waikiki and it’s closer to cruise pier and attached to the giant Ala Moana mall, cost $250 US including all taxes and fees. It’s a nice hotel, big Starbucks with shops and restaurants too. Flight was uneventful thankfully. Will check in later from the ship. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, tigervixxxen said:

We made it to Honolulu! Up early today, haven’t gotten used to the time change from the US yet but that’s ok,

It probably won't be an issue, but just a heads up that people in Hawaii can get a bit offended by this wording.  You're still in the US, so that hasn't changed.  Just not on the "mainland" any longer - that's the better phrasing.  

I used to travel to Hawaii for work 1 week every year and learned this one the hard way!

I'm looking forward to hearing how the rest of your trip goes!   Like others have said, this is an itinerary I would have already done if not for the flights involved!

Edited by saffy12
  • Like 3

We did this cruise last October.  It was so nice.  Loved Papeete, and all those stops. We did go to the opera at the beautiful Sydney opera. It was so good.  Loved Sydney. Lots to see and do. Have a good cruise. Enjoy the sea days. So relaxing. Louise

The Solstice has just departed from Honolulu a touch early and we are on the way to Tahiti, in which we will arrive after 5 sea days. 

Day 1 was a success. The embarkation process was as simple as ever and we had completed out muster checkin, unpacked our carryon and were eating lunch at the OVC by noon. As reported by many here the Indian dishes were a standout. 

After unpacking the big bags we enjoyed a martini flight in the afternoon. Bartenders were great as always including one we recognized from our Equinox sailing over New Year’s. We were also given two regular size martinis for free after we finished the flight (we have the classic package so would have had to pay for them otherwise). 

For dinner in MDR it was prime rib night and was accurate in the app. There’s no menu yet for nights 9 and 10 plus some repeats the last week of the cruise so I’m not sure I believe those yet but up until day 8 I think the app is correct. Overall the meal was good, tiny mash and matchstick carrots were with the prime rib. I ordered the masala potatoes on the side to supplement and worked out well. DH enjoyed the spaghetti bolognese. We’ll see how my opinion of the MDR evolves as we go.  

First day on the ship I’d describe as quiet. Not sure if the prolonged embarkation and midnight departure contributed to this. We are still getting used to the time change so it was an early night and haven’t checked out much of the entertainment yet. Ship is what I’d expect from an S class but can tell it’s one of the older ones. Nothing glaringly obvious though. Only real annoyance is somehow we can hear pretty intermittently some sort of vacuum noise presumably from the toilet system. We are on deck 9 in one of the veranda rooms on the hump if that makes any difference. 

All in all a good start to the cruise! I also found a duck in the library so that was exciting. I brought my own duck to hide near the end of the cruise. Thanks all for following along!

F5C92EFC-EB34-4C8E-B379-AB1818BA1408.jpeg

• Like 16

7 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

The Solstice has just departed from Honolulu a touch early and we are on the way to Tahiti, in which we will arrive after 5 sea days. 

Day 1 was a success. The embarkation process was as simple as ever and we had completed out muster checkin, unpacked our carryon and were eating lunch at the OVC by noon. As reported by many here the Indian dishes were a standout. 

After unpacking the big bags we enjoyed a martini flight in the afternoon. Bartenders were great as always including one we recognized from our Equinox sailing over New Year’s. We were also given two regular size martinis for free after we finished the flight (we have the classic package so would have had to pay for them otherwise). 

For dinner in MDR it was prime rib night and was accurate in the app. There’s no menu yet for nights 9 and 10 plus some repeats the last week of the cruise so I’m not sure I believe those yet but up until day 8 I think the app is correct. Overall the meal was good, tiny mash and matchstick carrots were with the prime rib. I ordered the masala potatoes on the side to supplement and worked out well. DH enjoyed the spaghetti bolognese. We’ll see how my opinion of the MDR evolves as we go.  

First day on the ship I’d describe as quiet. Not sure if the prolonged embarkation and midnight departure contributed to this. We are still getting used to the time change so it was an early night and haven’t checked out much of the entertainment yet. Ship is what I’d expect from an S class but can tell it’s one of the older ones. Nothing glaringly obvious though. Only real annoyance is somehow we can hear pretty intermittently some sort of vacuum noise presumably from the toilet system. We are on deck 9 in one of the veranda rooms on the hump if that makes any difference. 

All in all a good start to the cruise! I also found a duck in the library so that was exciting. I brought my own duck to hide near the end of the cruise. Thanks all for following along!

F5C92EFC-EB34-4C8E-B379-AB1818BA1408.jpeg

Thankyou for taking the time to post this.

I will be following with great interest.....when your cruise ends, our's begins from Sydney to Singapore!  Counting down the days 😊

The Martini Bar is our favourite spot on the ship, those Martini's look great!

Have a wonderful time

Cheers! 🥂

Hello everyone!

Bob & Sandy also here in cabin 1164 (hello tiger vixen et al!). I won’t step

on your thread, and you are spot on to date, but I will add two things:

First, in spite of a purported “1730 check in time”, we arrived at 1135

and the taxicab to stateroom time was about 20 minutes. Second 

(and more disconcerting!) there is no safe in our stateroom. Upon

questioning, our room attendant said it was broken, and a “lot” of the inside

staterooms did not have one, now. Is this another cutback? If so, not

a good idea - first time we have seen this in nearly thirty years of cruising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Chrisclaire said:

Thankyou for taking the time to post this.

I will be following with great interest.....when your cruise ends, our's begins from Sydney to Singapore!  Counting down the days 😊

The Martini Bar is our favourite spot on the ship, those Martini's look great!

Have a wonderful time

Cheers! 🥂

Ooo that cruise sounds like an amazing one!  

18 minutes ago, Rina155 said:

Ooo that cruise sounds like an amazing one!  

Very excited!

First time in Australia.

Long way to travel from Scotland, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Overnight in an Hotel in Bali whilst the ship is docked for a wee change of scenery.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bob & Sandy said:

Hello everyone!

Hope you have a great time!

Good news re taxi to stateroom!

Not such good news re absence of a safe, especially after the sad thread from Mark_uk with regards his parents passports being stolen in Athens.

This is a tad worrying 😟 

6 minutes ago, Chrisclaire said:

Hope you have a great time!

Good news re taxi to stateroom!

Not such good news re absence of a safe, especially after the sad thread from Mark_uk with regards his parents passports being stolen in Athens.

This is a tad worrying 😟 

I think I will take this screenshot from their website......

Screenshot_20231002_214342_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob & Sandy said:

Hello everyone!

Oh please do feel free to share your thoughts and experiences, this thread is for everyone. 

Our room did have a safe, that’s funny though. Wonder if you could ask for one. One thing I found funny is there’s a mix of magnetic and door hang do not disturb, we prefer the magnetic to cover up the light from the peep hole. Maybe we’ll see if they’ll switch it. Another thing that I noticed was different is out balcony table seem to be full size, I think we always had a low cocktail/end table type thing but this one you could definitely eat a meal on, which might be nice to try. 

Also it seems formal/chic nights are on nights 3, 11 and 17. They are just skipping day 12 for the international date line so we will have 18 nights on this 17 night cruise. 

• Like 3

Have a wonderful time.  We loved this cruise. We cruised on the Solstice from Vancouver BC to Sydney.  We did it in 2018 and are doing it again next year only we will fly to Honolulu this time.  We broke the trip coming home up with a few days in HNL.  

2 hours ago, Bob & Sandy said:

Hello everyone!

can't it be replaced. have u asked at guest rel?  that is a big issue..we usually  keep our phones, wallets and cash in the safe..very concerning!

did they offer u ability to leave docs etc in the ship's safe or pursers,   Hope the rest of thd ship is in good order!

enjoy the cruise...hope safe issue is resolved!