Live from Solstice 10/1/23 Transpacific

tigervixxxen

13 minutes ago, tigervixxxen said:

Yes they did come on the ship and had a 5 p.m. show at the pool, therefore they were able to leave the ship before we departed. Therefore I didn’t see the show, I didn’t want to sit by the pool. 

oh that sucks.
It wasnt on the Daily. 😞
And i was back on the ship already enjoying my balcony

Edited by fstuff1

49 minutes ago, hcat said:

thank you for sharing your memories and beautiful photos..we are staying closer to home these days but are happy when we look back!

A pleasure. With a grandson in Dallas we are doing regular Transatlantics - in March we fly to Dallas and cruise back from Fort Lauderdale then in October we cruise back to FL and fly home from Dallas. Gives us 2 cruises from one return air ticket.

• Like 2

With out final port day in Raiatea the real adventure now begins as we are off to New Zealand. I enjoy the islands just fine but seeing another part of the world is the real draw of this itinerary for me. We will arrive after 4 more sea days plus a lost day to the international date line. 

Today we went on the Celebrity excursion called East Coast Highlights. There were three short stops but was mostly 3+ hours on the bus. The scenery was lovely and the bus was comfortable but there’s a reason why we don’t do many tour excursions. The guide didn’t speak English too well so commentary was limited. He tried his best and was a pleasant fellow but for those that enjoy lengthy tour commentary this wasn’t the tour for it. The stops were nice at a pearl farm, an overlook (was supposed to be the beach but this was fine instead) and a marae. We walked the town upon our return buying a few drinks and a cake at the patisserie which was much better than what’s on the ship. 

Tonight at the MDR my favorite Schnitzel was offered. The menu did not match the app tonight and I’ve noticed they have really shuffled around the menus for the back half of this cruise. The double cheeseburger appeared in the app and DH has vowed to give it a go if it’s offered. We have Tuscan Grill tomorrow night and after that we’ll see how much we end up going back to the MDR.

If y’all have read this far on the thread, thank you!  

B4A49569-C5A0-422E-9185-12A4E7FF7F62.jpeg

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 18

13 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

With out final port day in Raiatea the real adventure now begins as we are off to New Zealand. I enjoy the islands just fine but seeing another part of the world is the real draw of this itinerary for me. We will arrive after 4 more sea days plus a lost day to the international date line. 

Today we went on the Celebrity excursion called East Coast Highlights. There were three short stops but was mostly 3+ hours on the bus. The scenery was lovely and the bus was comfortable but there’s a reason why we don’t do many tour excursions. The guide didn’t speak English too well so commentary was limited. He tried his best and was a pleasant fellow but for those that enjoy lengthy tour commentary this wasn’t the tour for it. The stops were nice at a pearl farm, an overlook (was supposed to be the beach but this was fine instead) and a marae. We walked the town upon our return buying a few drinks and a cake at the patisserie which was much better than what’s on the ship. 

Tonight at the MDR my favorite Schnitzel was offered. The menu did not match the app tonight and I’ve noticed they have really shuffled around the menus for the back half of this cruise. The double cheeseburger appeared in the app and DH has vowed to give it a go if it’s offered. We have Tuscan Grill tomorrow night and after that we’ll see how much we end up going back to the MDR.

If y’all have read this far on the thread, thank you!  

B4A49569-C5A0-422E-9185-12A4E7FF7F62.jpeg

Bay of Islands:

This may be too late but just in case .

The best way to see the Bay of Islands is on the  Cream Trip ( 7 hours). Might just fit in with the ships timetable and you may still be able to book it on line.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:34 AM, Texed said:

We have looked at this itinerary quite a few times.  So far, the air fares to/from Australia have been a deterrent .  But, looking forward to your review.  😊

I loudly gasped when I booked our premium economy airfare on Quantas from LA to Sydney for our GBR cruise in Feb 2024.  7400.00 for both.  Business was 18k.  

We finally had our first bad meal. Breakfast was inedible unfortunately, the Gruyère cheese in the French omelette went bad. Service was also not great, they didn’t notice I couldn’t eat my plate and I never got my pineapple juice. Not a day ruined or anything but too bad after a couple excellent MDR breakfasts. We had lunch in the MDR because the cheese sticks were back on the menu. There’s only 5 different lunch menus so we are back to repeating. Lunch went as expected. Looking forward tonight to dinner at Tuscan. 

Weather has been varied today, still warm and light seas but cloudy on and off. I am expecting things to turn cool one of these days as we get further south. 

Still have not received our passports back yet but guest services said tomorrow. We did get our Equator Crossing certificates which were nice with the names printed and everything. Sent out a bag of laundry today so we’ll see how that goes. I’ve also booked a massage for Friday so filling up those last sea days. I’ve also found hockey on tv, the sport 24 live channel has it which is nice but not showing my team which is a bummer. It’s been a pretty quiet day on the ship overall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That sounds perfect, I know the weather can get volatile there too. The weather overall has been very good thus far. 

Dinner at Tuscan Grill was a success. The extensive menu is almost too extensive, like it could be split into two restaurants an Italian and a steakhouse. I know there’s been mixed reviews but our experience tonight matched ours from a previous sailing that we seem to favor TG over Murano. Not that anything was disappointing at Murano, we just seem to enjoy it more. DH said the filet was very good and he’s pretty picky about his steaks. Every dish we had was tasty and a clear step above the MDR. I wish I could have carried their mashed potatoes over to the MDR for the rest of the cruise lol. I had the Burrata, white flatbread, short rib pasta, pistachio crème brûlée, polenta fries, garlic mash. All very good. 

• Like 5

Pesto is now available at the pasta station. You have to request it.

In the past I asked and they said they don't have pesto then I saw a dish in the buffet with pesto a few days ago.

I asked a black scarf today  and he gave permission to the pasta station to give pesto

IMG_20231011_180712307.jpg

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

That’s good to know because we feel like food options are starting to get limited. DH didn’t feel like chic night in the MDR so we hit the OVC. Compared to last time we skipped chic night there was less choices. One whole station was just hamburgers and hot dogs. At least two full dishes of cut carrots. Only kale at the salad bar, only fruit is melon and pineapple. I noticed tonight was the last night salmon is offered in MDR unless the menu is revised again. The pizza isn’t as good as it was on the Equinox either. 

I hope we get new supply in New Zealand or the last week might be rough. We have enjoyed the OVC ice cream station this cruise with a nice rotation of flavors. Tonight the lady at the station offered a cookie, I said sure. It was rock hard, seriously I had to give a bit of effort to break it in half. Maybe they were just for looks, idk. Also we had another mishap in the MDR. It was chicken and beef skewers for lunch which I enjoyed a few days ago. They served them with the chicken still raw. So overall the food is declining and so is my patience. I feel like I’ve had everything I like at least twice and am ready for something different. I did have banana pancakes at OVC for breakfast and liked that, might have been the best thing I had today. I will also say the Indian dishes have been consistently good at least. 

Weather was fantastic today with a gorgeous sunset. I like the little cooler temps, more like 70 degrees with nice breathable air with a slight chill. I even enjoyed the hot tub after dinner. Great temps even after sunset, completely deserted pool deck, it was perfect. 

DBC886A4-9AE2-454D-928A-571601DFC9BD.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

That’s good to know because we feel like food options are starting to get limited. DH didn’t feel like chic night in the MDR so we hit the OVC. Compared to last time we skipped chic night there was less choices. One whole station was just hamburgers and hot dogs. At least two full dishes of cut carrots. Only kale at the salad bar, only fruit is melon and pineapple. I noticed tonight was the last night salmon is offered in MDR unless the menu is revised again. The pizza isn’t as good as it was on the Equinox either. 

I hope we get new supply in New Zealand or the last week might be rough. We have enjoyed the OVC ice cream station this cruise with a nice rotation of flavors. Tonight the lady at the station offered a cookie, I said sure. It was rock hard, seriously I had to give a bit of effort to break it in half. Maybe they were just for looks, idk. Also we had another mishap in the MDR. It was chicken and beef skewers for lunch which I enjoyed a few days ago. They served them with the chicken still raw. So overall the food is declining and so is my patience. I feel like I’ve had everything I like at least twice and am ready for something different. I did have banana pancakes at OVC for breakfast and liked that, might have been the best thing I had today. I will also say the Indian dishes have been consistently good at least. 

Weather was fantastic today with a gorgeous sunset. I like the little cooler temps, more like 70 degrees with nice breathable air with a slight chill. I even enjoyed the hot tub after dinner. Great temps even after sunset, completely deserted pool deck, it was perfect. 

My DW has this posted in our kitchen;

I hope you have a sense of humor.

55DB7624-1F8C-49CF-A6D0-201EE3E4F5E3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A question for @tigervixxxen or anyone else currently on Solstice :

Looking at pedicures for the next cruise, Sydney to Singapore, a Spa question :

The only nail polish mentioned is Shellac, which is very drying for the nails - does anyone know whether traditional (non-drying) nail polishes are still available?

Thanks in advance for responses.

59 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

The only nail polish mentioned is Shellac, which is very drying for the nails - does anyone know whether traditional (non-drying) nail polishes are still available?

Shellac is basically Gel.  You could bring your own color and ask them to use regular polish. That way you have your own color if it chips.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, calicakes said:

I loudly gasped when I booked our premium economy airfare on Quantas from LA to Sydney for our GBR cruise in Feb 2024.  7400.00 for both.  Business was 18k.  

I've been doing a lot of shopping on Asia Air Fare.    We are flying to Singapore in a month for an Australia and New Zealand cruise and then flying home to SFO on December 23 (Really High)  I was able to Get Business Class on Singapore about a year ago using miles.   

We will be returning to Sydney in March 2024 for the TA to Vancouver.   I bought a RT From Sydney to San Francisco for AU$6,625 (US$4,540 each Round Trip)   Thought it was a pretty good Business Class fare especially for the Non-Stop flight so booked it immediately.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

A question for @tigervixxxen or anyone else currently on Solstice :

Looking at pedicures for the next cruise, Sydney to Singapore, a Spa question :

Thanks in advance for responses.

Oh yeah they have regular polish, they said the gel cost more so I declined. I like the bring your own suggestion too. I prefer OPI polish and they don’t have that brand. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea about the salmon, they took it off the menu every night and now it’s back again. The menus there last few night are very fluid. Maybe they are trying to decide what they have enough of to make but it’s causing some new options at least. If it’s still there when we go to the dining room tonight I’m having tuna. Allegedly tomorrow night they’ll have jerk chicken. 

Breakfast this morning was pretty sad. No disasters but I think I’m over it for a while. On the flip side I finally tried the spa for lunch and it’s true the bacon avocado turkey sandwich there is pretty delicious. They are hiding some good ingredients for that one for sure. I ordered the caprese salad and used the mozzarella in the sandwhich too. I think I’ll do that again. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 1

Tonight's buffet included 2 items I've never seen offered (and I've been here since last cruise to Hawaii):

Pork belly

Bread bowl

Unfortunately, the filling options for the bowl was all curry (Beef, fish, veggie).

The apprentice cook making this didn't mention curry. I don't like curry. :(

oh.. one other item at the buffet that I didn't see last cruise was flank steak.

Saw it twice so far this cruise.

SGCAM_20231013_181311935.jpg

SGCAM_20231013_181903614.jpg

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've been doing a lot of shopping on Asia Air Fare.    We are flying to Singapore in a month for an Australia and New Zealand cruise and then flying home to SFO on December 23 (Really High)  I was able to Get Business Class on Singapore about a year ago using miles.   

We will be returning to Sydney in March 2024 for the TA to Vancouver.   I bought a RT From Sydney to San Francisco for AU$6,625 (US$4,540 each Round Trip)   Thought it was a pretty good Business Class fare especially for the Non-Stop flight so booked it immediately.

Another option is to try booking your return flights as a "package". To qualify as "package" all you need is one night hotel or 1 days car rental (the cheapest available as you won't be using it). The savings can be huge. Another advantage of a package is you generally only need to pay a deposit with the balance later. May not work for every destination/route/ airline but worth a try.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Compared to 18k, you got a great price. Are you flying Quantas?

On 10/12/2023 at 2:03 AM, tigervixxxen said:

Just IMO, you should consider bring any chicken or other food that should not be raw served that way and the waiter/Matre Di doesn't address is then bring it to the attention of the MDR, or any other food venue, supervisor or right to the Hotel Director as that can be a serious safety issue. Again, IMO. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

On the flip side I finally tried the spa for lunch and it’s true the bacon avocado turkey sandwich there is pretty delicious. They are hiding some good ingredients for that one for sure. I ordered the caprese salad and used the mozzarella in the sandwhich too. I think I’ll do that again. 

Just a suggestion however since they make the turkey club to order ask the staff when you’re ordering for some mozzarella to be added to your sandwich. They’re very accommodating and it’ll save you taking a salad apart for ingredients. 

• Like 1