Live from Solstice 10/1/23 Transpacific

tigervixxxen

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

How’s the weather on the Pacific on sea days ?

It’s been nice, warm and humid. The second sea day when were were at about 10 degrees north we crossed through some weather and it rained briefly and was cloudy in the morning. Otherwise fairly calm seas and good weather, today very few clouds. We crossed the equator last night on sea day 3 at 10pm. The captain blew the horn about 4x and then this afternoon after lunch the Neptune Ceremony is at the pool deck. 

Murano was a lovely dinner last night, as expected. I had the lobster and crepes for dessert. DH had the duck. No complaints and the service was good. We got a little extra chocolate cake for our anniversary. We will check out Tuscan Grill in about a week. 

We had to go hand in our passports today in preparation for our arrival in French Polynesia on Saturday. I don’t love parting with it but we don’t have much choice and I’m sure it will be fine. 

Thanks for following along! Don’t have much to report on these sea days. We’ll be back in the MDR for lunch and dinner. We’ve had a couple coffees and teas at Al Bacio, which we enjoy in the mornings. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hcat said:

i think your reports are great. Can,t ait to hear abt Neptune Ceremony..pics?

It was cute.

Anyone get pics of that female officer doing a cannonball into the pool while in uniform for the ceremony?

And who was she?

On 10/5/2023 at 4:22 PM, hcat said:

i think your reports are great. Can,t ait to hear abt Neptune Ceremony..pics?

Sorry, don’t have any pics from it. We did not have a great spot and I’m short, there wasn’t much that I was able to see. We were supposed to get some equator certificates but haven’t yet. 

After our fifth sea day we are ready for some land tomorrow. I was surprised we weren’t offered to pick up tender tickets today but we’ll just wait and go ashore ourselves tomorrow anyway. We don’t have much planned and I know there isn’t a ton at Moorea. It will be nice just to get some scenery. 

Dinner in the MDR has been acceptable with some different options I know they axed from most menus. With 17 nights they have to pull all the options out and there might even be some repeats near the end. We had the turkey dinner last night, I enjoyed it but DH said it was dry. We had the chicken Chiquita tonight and both liked it. So far the best meal I’ve probably had was Indian lunch on the buffet, now that was outstanding, 

Some other thoughts and observations. There’s still little entertainment options. There have been a couple production shows but I was expecting some other options. No comedians, no Hawaiian or Polynesian dance (I’m not counting the cruise passengers’ performance as one). I’ve looked ahead to the end of the cruise and there’s one comedian and a violinist scheduled we might like to see. We are not a typical need to see something at night couple anyway but those that love ship entertainment are probably disappointed. There have been several beyond the podium talks in the day time. We went to one about sea mammals and was enjoyable, several people we’ve talked so said they are loving them so that’s good. 

While walking outside on deck 5 by the lifeboats this evening near the front on the starboard side we saw a bunch of broken safety glass on the ground and even on the railing. DH went inside and told someone, it’s like a whole pane of glass fell from somewhere. Kind of strange, ship is still moving so can’t be too bad. 

Cabin location is very good except for the constant noise I believe is from the elevator cables. It’s very very annoying. We are on the hump right behind the elevator bank by the card room. Little foot traffic noise though. Also the paint is flaking off on the ceiling of our balcony, several large sheets have fallen off today. And a few drawers are broken in the room. I’m not trying to be nit picky but the Solstice needs a little work at this point.

We also frequented the spa today. DH got a shave that he enjoyed. I got a manicure that was good but a bit painful after getting aggressive with the cuticle nippers. I asked for just a polish change on my toes and they were able to fit it in which I was thankful, it’s funny they charged $29 in the salon when I paid and said the price list says $19 and they said that just what the system charges. So I went out to the main spa front desk and they fixed it, was kind of weird. I also stopped by the inch of gold to get a new bracelet as the gold plating had worn off and they actually replaced for free without my asking. 

That’s all for now, will check in later from Tahiti. 

• Like 6

On 9/28/2023 at 5:51 AM, tigervixxxen said:

Hello and welcome to my first go at starting a live thread for this upcoming cruise. I will try my best to keep it updated and my fellow shipmates are welcome to post their photos and experiences as well especially as I will likely not post too many photos. 

If there’s any questions I have 11 sea days worth of time to go check something out and report back. We will be primarily dining in the MDR so follow along and see if we make it through all 17 nights before burning out! A couple nights for Tuscan Grill and Murano are planned as well. 

This is our 20th Anniversary cruise and have been looking forward to it for a long time. We cruise about once a year and have been on three Celebrity cruises prior to this one, having never been on Solstice but familiar with S class ships. Our longest cruise was a 14 night round trip from LA to Hawaii and back so I know a little of what to expect but much of this will be a new adventure. We fly into Hawaii on Saturday and will be ready to board the ship bright and early on Sunday!

4F7E4819-E8F3-4078-8C7A-7624292CDE25.thumb.jpeg.4e23041231858c0c51e2374e3e7893c4.jpegDFB75D0B-BBE2-44BA-8BD5-656688FA9D6F.thumb.jpeg.efcaf2a5cd0d32e738a75a790e787dbd.jpeg

Memories come flooding back.

We did this in reverse as part of a 5 x B2B - 60 days on Solstice, 90 days total. Have a wonderful trip.

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

Memories come flooding back.

We did this in reverse as part of a 5 x B2B - 60 days on Solstice, 90 days total. Have a wonderful trip.

I have been thinking the exact same thing about memories.  We have been fortunate to see Tahiti/Moorea/BoraBora, along with hiking the Milford Track in South Island, NZ, into Milford Sound for three days of absolute nature at its finest.  We also rented a car and drove all over the island.  The A-frame houses that were built for the penguins were absolutely wonderful to see, especially seeing them march in from the water.  Yes, so many wonderful memories to think about while the OP journeys onward and enjoys.  The review is wonderful to read and appreciate through someone else’s eyes.

We were booked for next year on Edge for a b2b, but the airfare was just extreme for biz class.  I do not enjoy those very long flights and my back cannot handle it in coach or without lie-flat seats for all those hours.  I hated to cancel, but having been to many of those places made it a little easier to do...sigh!  You certainly have had a record of continual cruises!  Our longest was 26 days and almost a few too many, but I am sure we could have forced ourselves to do a few more😉.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I have been thinking the exact same thing about memories.  We have been fortunate to see Tahiti/Moorea/BoraBora, along with hiking the Milford Track in South Island, NZ, into Milford Sound for three days of absolute nature at its finest.  We also rented a car and drove all over the island.  The A-frame houses that were built for the penguins were absolutely wonderful to see, especially seeing them march in from the water.  Yes, so many wonderful memories to think about while the OP journeys onward and enjoys.  The review is wonderful to read and appreciate through someone else’s eyes.

We were booked for next year on Edge for a b2b, but the airfare was just extreme for biz class.  I do not enjoy those very long flights and my back cannot handle it in coach or without lie-flat seats for all those hours.  I hated to cancel, but having been to many of those places made it a little easier to do...sigh!  You certainly have had a record of continual cruises!  Our longest was 26 days and almost a few too many, but I am sure we could have forced ourselves to do a few more😉.

We always said if we end up not being able to travel we would have memories and not regrets.

Health issues now make it impossible to travel as we did but the memories live on.

Our 90 day trip started with days 2 and 3 seeing us both in hospital in LA with food poisoning. Then a 2 weeks self drive tour of New Zealand's North Island.

The cruise started in Auckland and ended in Seattle. Cruise highlights included , a day out with the Mail Man in Akoroa, the flowers in Mooreia, the best magic show we have ever seen in Hawaii, attending a crew party and a crew wedding, flying over a volcano/waterfall/the ship then seeing the larva flow into the sea at night in Hawaii, the WW2 sites in Bora Bora. Regretably all this was before we had even heard of Cruise Critic and Roll Calls.😀😊

• Like 4

Moorea today was lovely. We just walked up the road some, very beautiful scenery. Cloudy in the morning which is burning off. Surprising decent enough shopping at the pier. I got a pearl bracelet. They were accepting USD in a 1/100 ratio, which I think was fair. Tenders were quick and easy, we sat on the top deck for the return trip. Whales were out in the bay in the morning. Ship is nice and quiet with so many in port, the pool is near deserted. Sat at the Mast Bar and had an after lunch drink and a nice chat with bartender Ronan. This is the view from our balcony, will make for some nice afternoon seating. 

79289ED5-AB25-4EBA-946B-7A171B718163.jpeg

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 15

16 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

Moorea today was lovely. We just walked up the road some, very beautiful scenery. Cloudy in the morning which is burning off. Surprising decent enough shopping at the pier. I got a pearl bracelet. They were accepting USD in a 1/100 ratio, which I think was fair. Tenders were quick and easy, we sat on the top deck for the return trip. Whales were out in the bay in the morning. Ship is nice and quiet with so many in port, the pool is near deserted. Sat at the Mast Bar and had an after lunch drink and a nice chat with bartender Ronan. This is the view from our balcony, will make for some nice afternoon seating. 

Such a shame you weren't able to do tour up into the mountains. We had a fabulous tour with a local company (advertised as "air-conditioned" but actually an open backed truck). The scenery and flowers were amazing and we got the " South Pacific" mountain pic made famous in the movie.

16 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

Amazing..picture perfect!

20 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Such a shame you weren't able to do tour up into the mountains. We had a fabulous tour with a local company (advertised as "air-conditioned" but actually an open backed truck). The scenery and flowers were amazing and we got the " South Pacific" mountain pic made famous in the movie.

Moorea (22).JPG

Moorea (37).JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

Old fashioned air conditioned, along with open windows! 😃

Great photos.

Can someone help me out, I don’t want to dig through threads to find it. Is Powerade offered on the ship, and if so where (such as which bar). I could have sworn it was one of the premium soft drinks you could buy. DH needs some electrolyte beverage and the Mios we brought aren’t doing the trick. 

I basically can’t spend any time in direct sunlight so my excursion options are limited and I will not be going on any safaris. I was already asked in the shops if I’d been swimming and no, that’s just how my body reacts to the sun. 

We walked the marina area in Papeete today and had a nice lunch overlooking the ship. The hull needs to be painted you can notice pretty good from distance. 

31514FF7-EAAC-4165-AF11-84F226B68DE0.jpeg

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tigervixxxen said:

Can someone help me out, I don’t want to dig through threads to find it. Is Powerade offered on the ship, and if so where (such as which bar). I could have sworn it was one of the premium soft drinks you could buy. DH needs some electrolyte beverage and the Mios we brought aren’t doing the trick. 

I basically can’t spend any time in direct sunlight so my excursion options are limited and I will not be going on any safaris. I was already asked in the shops if I’d been swimming and no, that’s just how my body reacts to the sun. 

We walked the marina area in Papeete today and had a nice lunch overlooking the ship. The hull needs to be painted you can notice pretty good from distance. 

31514FF7-EAAC-4165-AF11-84F226B68DE0.jpeg

Try the bar in the OVC. They had a good selection of drinks like that last week. Hope your DH feels better.

(Years ago I had heat exhaustion while spring skiing. The patrols made me drink salt water. It was disgusting and nauseating but did the trick.)

2 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

I don't recall ever seeing electrolyte beverages.   I know for sure they have VitaWater but I don't believe it has electrolyte's in them. 

You might consider purchasing some of the powdered versions and mix them as directed.

They would take up very little space and would relieve any anxiety if they don't have them aboard.

7 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Old fashioned air conditioned, along with open windows! 😃

Great photos.

Thank you. The photos were all taken by the boss (Anita). At the end of the trip we made 2 Photo books one of which was just of the flowers - a truly amazing journey.

• Like 1

Forgot to mentioned we skipped the MDR last night, DH didn’t feel like it. He was more in the mood tonight so we went early and then watched the sail away on the front deck, was very cool. Little wind and light we saw the stars very clearly including the Milky Way. He liked the Turkey Parmesan and we both liked the butternut squash soup. 

Funny thing at dinner waiter asking if the dining experience would be 10/10 and I said I noticed menus had changed and he was very apologetic, said he went on vacation and came back and everything had changed. Then we walked out after the meal and some sort of supervisor intercepted us and apologized for the menus explaining covid made them change everything but they are slowly adding back the items they removed (I don’t really buy that, this 17 night cruise required them to use some axed dishes so that they could fill out a menu for that many nights and the appetizers are still non existent but sure if that’s what they think is happening). Just thought I’d share, I didn’t even really make a complaint and they seem to be very sensitive to the issue at least. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't recall ever seeing electrolyte beverages.   I know for sure they have VitaWater but I don't believe it has electrolyte's in them. 

You might consider purchasing some of the powdered versions and mix them as directed.

They would take up very little space and would relieve any anxiety if they don't have them aboard.

If you haven't found any, I would ask a bartender, and perhaps one with two, so one can work the phone or ask a bar back to pull a few. 

While not the same, they should be able to give you a pour of any of the monin syrups to add to a water.  They also could create a slush with syrup, ice and some club soda or water. Those won't solve the electrolyte need, but can help with drinking water to hydrate. My guess is the syrups have more calories than the flavored water in the dispensers in the OVC. 

On Apex last Spring there were occasional Powerade bottles that we found in the Retreat self serve fridge in small numbers, and Vitamin Water bottles.  We may have also had one at a bar.  I recall Orange (this was the Powerade), which seemed rare, and Lemonade (vitamin water).  We had the premium package with a child, although we all enjoyed them.  We also travel with Gatorade and Propel packets to add to the bottled water.  

Edited by Cap_D
Correction to add vitamin water clarification.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Apologies for asking the same question: Did the Polynesian Folklore Group make an appearance in Papeete or did they stop that as well? 

Yes they did come on the ship and had a 5 p.m. show at the pool, therefore they were able to leave the ship before we departed. Therefore I didn’t see the show, I didn’t want to sit by the pool.