HAL Newbie - What Can I Expect? What Can NOT Be Missed?

wurm914

Hello all! 

I have over 30 cruises under my belt but I've never been on HAL before.  NCL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess. 

What advice can you offer?  Is there something that cannot be missed?   I've heard of a certain pastry that cannot be missed and I'm preparing to break KETO/Low Carb to have one - but I can't remember what it's called.  I've heard about tea time, that sounds interesting - is it still a thing? 

Thanks for all information and suggestions.

deb 🙂

• Like 1

@wurm914 What ship are you sailing?  Where an re you sailing?  Only Pinnacle class ships have the New York Pizza & Deli and the Grand Dutch Cafe.  The pastry may be the Bossche bol from the GDC; many people rave about it.

I sail HAL for the ports and the service.  

• Like 2

I 2nd the Gr Dutch Cafe if you are on a pinnacle class ship, & yes Bossche Bol is worth a diet splurge, but only at the Dutch cafe.  You might want to mention your ship so people can be more specific for suggestions about your particular ship's offerings.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

You might want to mention your ship so people can be more specific for suggestions about your particular ship's offerings.

Very true!  It's the Konigsdam.  17 Night Vancouver > Hawaii > Vancouver.  Thank you!

27 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@wurm914 What ship are you sailing?  Where an re you sailing?  Only Pinnacle class ships have the New York Pizza & Deli and the Grand Dutch Cafe.  The pastry may be the Bossche bol from the GDC; many people rave about it.

I sail HAL for the ports and the service.  

Konigsdam.  Vancouver > Hawaii > Vancouver - coming up soon!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Konningsdam is a Pinnacle class ship & has the Gr Dutch cafe.  Something good to note: cookies & other prepared food items are included in your fare-free.  Specialty coffee costs extra, but delish-IMO.  I would go there every morning for a yogurt parfait-yum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wurm914 said:

Hello all! 

I have over 30 cruises under my belt but I've never been on HAL before.  NCL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess. 

What advice can you offer?  Is there something that cannot be missed?   I've heard of a certain pastry that cannot be missed and I'm preparing to break KETO/Low Carb to have one - but I can't remember what it's called.  I've heard about tea time, that sounds interesting - is it still a thing? 

Thanks for all information and suggestions.

deb 🙂

Strangely enough, one of the things I'm looking forward to is unlimited laundry.  It has got me looking into minimalist packing so I can do 17 days with just a carry-on and personal item on my flights.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Strangely enough, one of the things I'm looking forward to is unlimited laundry.  It has got me looking into minimalist packing so I can do 17 days with just a carry-on and personal item on my flights.

Oh god, it's the best.  It was lovely going home and NOT having to immediately do laundry.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, wurm914 said:

Konigsdam.  Vancouver > Hawaii > Vancouver - coming up soon!  Thanks!

First of all, have a wonderful voyage and a spectacular holiday!

On a Pinnacle ship like the Konigsdam, I would definitely be sure to experience Rudi’s.  It’s a bit pricey, but we’ve always experienced amazing service and wonderful food - the bouillabaisse is a personal fave of me and my husband.

Similarly, Tamarind is a splurge completely designed to make your trip extra special.  I’m a bit unusual in that I love Pinnacle Grill even more at their sea day lunches than for their awesome dinnertime meals (for which the room is typically packed).

Take full advantage of the music walk offerings, but also check out any bar entertainment offerings that might be happening.  On our most recent cruise on Volendam, we found the Ocean Bar quartet to be super talented and really enjoyed their shows.

• Like 1

My wife and I recently sailed on the Rotterdam which was our first sailing on Holland America in 20 years. With over 40 cruises on RCCL, Celebrity, and Princess, like you, we were a little apprehensive on sailing Holland America. However we were very pleased with our cruise. I will share our thoughts on the difference between RCCL, Celebrity, and Princess verses Holland America. A few highlights:

Level of service a notch above

Food presentation and flavor in dining room was outstanding

Dive In and NY Pizza were excellent as our food was made to order

Music venues were incredible. Enjoyed all three rooms. 

Stateroom attendants were efficient and friendly

Veranda stateroom was one of the best we have had.

We are now focused on cruising on Holland America verses our past lines as we have become disenchanted with them post pandemic. We believe you will enjoy your cruise on Koningsdam.  

• Like 6

16 hours ago, wurm914 said:

I've heard of a certain pastry that cannot be missed and I'm preparing to break KETO/Low Carb to have one - but I can't remember what it's called. 

Not a pastry but a "must enjoy" dessert.  Get the bread pudding in the lido at lunch. Get an extra spoonful of the sauce. Go looking for it.  Delicious. Worth breaking diet. 

(Disclaimer:  not saying you must but merely a suggestion.  I get in trouble on here if I come across as though I am requiring someone to do something.  LOL)

Enjoy the journey and welcome onboard Holland America Line.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, wurm914 said:

I've heard about tea time, that sounds interesting - is it still a thing? 

Yep.  Usually at 3pm on sea days in the Main Dining Room (MDR).  We always go when Mother is onboard.

They pour the tea and plop a 3 tiered plate of delicious goodies (sandwiches and sweets) on your table.  

You should go.

(Disclaimer:  not saying you must but merely a suggestion.  I get in trouble on here if I come across as though I am requiring someone to do something.  LOL)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, wurm914 said:

Is there something that cannot be missed?  

If you are into history and if it is still offered, you should look for "origin story" on the first evening.  Very informative presentation at the main stage about the long and storied history of Holland America Line.  

Again, you should go if you are into history and want to learn more about HAL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR are good.  Although the menu never changes, there are enough choices to try many different meals for those days you want a more relaxed meal.

I agree, the Origin Story is worth seeing and will give you the interesting history of HAL.

Download the Navigator App and use it to board, see the daily schedule, communicate with others on board (although beware, they aren’t notified when a message is received unless that has changed).  

Lots of great activities to choose from during sea days.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ISLANDFAN said:

I will share our thoughts on the difference between RCCL, Celebrity, and Princess verses Holland America. A few highlights:

Level of service a notch above

Food presentation and flavor in dining room was outstanding

Dive In and NY Pizza were excellent as our food was made to order

Music venues were incredible. Enjoyed all three rooms. 

Stateroom attendants were efficient and friendly

Veranda stateroom was one of the best we have had.

Thank you for sharing your insights on the differences in the cruise lines. 

17 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Oh, I'll go, don't you worry!  I appreciate your input.  🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

It has got me looking into minimalist packing so I can do 17 days with just a carry-on and personal item on my flights.

So true!

We are departing tomorrow for 23 days and just taking what you take.....a carry on w/a backpack......and "rinse and repeat" with the clothes...and this is our first time as 4 *'s so we've made it to the pinnacle of all benefits.....FREE LAUNDRY.....LOL. not sure it gets any better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, wurm914 said:

What advice can you offer?  Is there something that cannot be missed?

I have been on 4 different HAL ships, and the Koningsdam has been my favorite so far. (I'm going on the Nieuw Statendam next month, and I can't wait to see how her sister ship compares!)

Here are some great things about HAL (and specifically the Koningsdam):

• Free room service breakfast that includes hot items - This is perfect for port days.
  • An extensive breakfast menu in the MDR - There are so many different options!
  • Vegetarian menu - DH and I aren't vegetarians, but we don't eat meat every meal. In the MDR, you can ask for the vegetarian menu and preorder your meal for the next day. We love doing this for lunch because there is only one lunch menu in the MDR.
  • Grand Dutch Cafe - This is another good place to eat lunch.
  • Drink Specials - If you have the Have It All package, you can ignore this one. If not, check the Daily for drink specials. There is usually a BOGO in the late afternoon at a specific bar.
  • Music Walk - I love dancing at BB King each night! Tip: Bring earplugs in case the music is too loud.
  • Like 3

One of the best things we had last week was the Aloo masala and egg bhurji at breakfast. I ordered this while hubby ordered something else. It was a very large selection of very tasty food. I ran out of room and hubby had to pick up the slack. I'd order this again like a shot, but if you're not a fan of Indian food then you'll want to give it a miss.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 8:39 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

YES!! HaAL laundry is the best - a game changer on how we pack, for sure. They take great care and honor special requests. 

• Like 1