drinks Packages

Doc66610

Hi My wife and I are new to Oceania cruises however intend to go on an Eastern Mediterranian cruise on Vista in May 24.

Living in Australia we are not used to gratuities/tipping and when travelling OS get caught out.

We have 3 questions. 1. What is the current gratuity as at Oct 23 for drinks/services ie 18 or 20%. ?

and 2. Oceania does not seem to make clear in their Simply more package if "Cocktails" are included ?

and 3. If purchasing an upgrade to "Prestige select" drinks package can this be for one only person per cabin or do both people have to purchase ?

Any help re the above would be much appreciated.🙂

3 minutes ago, Doc66610 said:

Hi My wife and I are new to Oceania cruises however intend to go on an Eastern Mediterranian cruise on Vista in May 24.

Living in Australia we are not used to gratuities/tipping and when travelling OS get caught out.

We have 3 questions. 1. What is the current gratuity as at Oct 23 for drinks/services ie 18 or 20%. ?

and 2. Oceania does not seem to make clear in their Simply more package if "Cocktails" are included ?

and 3. If purchasing an upgrade to "Prestige select" drinks package can this be for one only person per cabin or do both people have to purchase ?

1.  20% on purchases by the drink (individually).

2.  Simply More:  includes beer, wine, champagne at lunch and dinner only.  (No tip added on).  Cocktails:  other alcoholic beverages not included in SM.  Would purchase individually, with 20% tip added on.

3.  Upgrade to Prestige package:  most alcoholic drinks included anytime.  Cost to upgrade includes tips. There is a price limit for these drinks to be included.  Not sure what it is.  Someone can correct me, but I think O will allow only 1 person in cabin to upgrade.

See my "Live From Regatta 07 Sept". It's many pages long.  I think I posted a photo of the Drinks offer details.

Hoping another pax can tell us what upper USD limit is on Prestige drinks.

• Like 1

Thank you Fettacheese. will follow up your "Live From Regatta 07 Sept". 

gratuities in and of itself for one or 2 drinks does not matter however when multiplied across a cruise in our case of 21 days really does become significant !

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Doc66610 said:

gratuities in and of itself for one or 2 drinks does not matter however when multiplied across a cruise in our case of 21 days really does become significant !

And just to confirm Feta..both parties are NOT required to upgrade to the Prestige Drink Package.  This is one of the items covered in the FAQs on the Oceania website. 

• Thanks 1

I have just spoken to Oceania UK about pre purchasing a Select Package, there used to be a discount for pre purchasing, apparently they no longer can apply this and the price would be the same as doing it onboard, it could possibly be cheaper if you are entitled to a discount due to your Oceania Club level, this can only applied onboard according to the representative  I spoke to.

Does anyone know if they still have a happy hour with two for one priced drinks and cocktails?

11 minutes ago, nooosey said:

I have just spoken to Oceania UK about pre purchasing a Select Package, there used to be a discount for pre purchasing, apparently they no longer can apply this and the price would be the same as doing it onboard, it could possibly be cheaper if you are entitled to a discount due to your Oceania Club level, this can only applied onboard according to the representative  I spoke to.

Does anyone know if they still have a happy hour with two for one priced drinks and cocktails?

Yes - they still have happy hour in the early evening in Martinis and Horizon and late night in Horizon - just enjoyed the HH drinks and live music in Horizons on Vista last night.

• Like 1

Hi nooosey,

We were denied the 10% discount for the upgrade to the drinks package while on an August cruise, the second of two back-to-back, when we had just attained the Oceania club silver level.  One of the reasons given was that we could not book onboard during the cruise.  When I pointed out that we had purchased the upgrade on the first of the two cruises (while still at the bronze level), so were effectively not onboard that cruise at the time, the rationale expanded to ... you cannot be on a cruise at the time of purchase.

Even the Executive Concierge, with the support of the General Manager, was unable to get Head Office to apply the 10% discount that is advertised in the Oceania Club documentation.

So be careful about the advice that the discount can be applied only when you are onboard...not my experience.

On our August cruises, there was a Happy Hour from 5-6 p.m. with 2 for one drinks and cocktails in Martinis every day, plus another Happy Hour around 10 p.m. or so.

Cheers

Greg of WildWanderers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

3.  Upgrade to Prestige package:  most alcoholic drinks included anytime.  Cost to upgrade includes tips. There is a price limit for these drinks to be included.  Not sure what it is.  Someone can correct me, but I think O will allow only 1 person in cabin to upgrade.

Hoping another pax can tell us what upper USD limit is on Prestige drinks.

There is no price limit. Everything in the regular bar menu (e.g., the one in Horizons) is definitely included in the Prestige package. I've always been a little iffy about whether the Martinis-specific menu is included, but when I've been in Martinis during happy hour I've gotten 2-for-1 from the Martinis menu as well.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Doc66610 said:

I agree that the drink gratuities can add up, but it's really a moot point, as they are not optional - it's just a question of visibility.

If you buy a drink, the 20% will be added on and visible. With the Simply More charge, you will not see the gratuity broken out, but you can be sure it's buried in the SM charge. Similarly, upgrading the drink package will include the gratuities in the one-time cost, but it won't be visible when you purchase it.

O's willingness to allow only one pax in a cabin to upgrade is a very rare and valuable benefit in the cruise industry - almost all other lines force both pax to buy in. Enjoy! 🍺🥌

• Like 3

On 10/4/2023 at 12:20 AM, Doc66610 said:

This would be more relevant to you, Doc66610:

We are sailing on Vista's 20-day "Grand Mediterranean Tour" next April, and booked under OLife.  We opted for the House Select drinks package, with the intention of upgrading to Prestige once aboard.  We sailed on Sirena last September, and also enjoyed the Prestige for that cruise, but couldn't recall whether we purchased pre-cruise or once aboard.  Our TA consulted Oceania today, and to switch to Simply More in order to receive the 25% discount for shorex after purchasing the requisite number, we would need to pay approx. $AUD900.00 pp.  Of course, we would then need to choose between the reduced shorex total and a House Select package.  Honestly, horses for courses and swings and roundabouts. 

We are marginally better off doing exactly what we have locked in:  

Remaining with OLife, paying the full amount for shorex, and retaining the House Select drinks package.  However, here's the important bit:  We purchased the upgrade to Prestige Drinks Package this morning for $AUD870 each, because by pre-purchasing, we saved approx. $AUD17 per day, over upgrading once aboard.  A no-brainer for us. 

Yes, martinis and just about every bar offering is covered with Prestige.  At mealtimes, the wines are superior to the House Select.  That is not to say, of course, that there is anything at all wrong with the House offerings.  We are a tad fussy with wine, but not so much as to order Penfolds Grange with every meal (I wish).  The few exceptions, not covered by Prestige, are a couple of very expensive drinks (high-end single malt, cognac and champagne) but all other high-quality single malts, cognacs and champagnes, and all cocktails not containing those few high-ends are included.  No need to sign every time, which is the other big magnet for us.

Hope all this helps.

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

This would be more relevant to you, Doc66610:

We are sailing on Vista's 20-day "Grand Mediterranean Tour" next April, and booked under OLife.  We opted for the House Select drinks package, with the intention of upgrading to Prestige once aboard.  We sailed on Sirena last September, and also enjoyed the Prestige for that cruise, but couldn't recall whether we purchased pre-cruise or once aboard.  Our TA consulted Oceania today, and to switch to Simply More in order to receive the 25% discount for shorex after purchasing the requisite number, we would need to pay approx. $AUD900.00 pp.  Of course, we would then need to choose between the reduced shorex total and a House Select package.  Honestly, horses for courses and swings and roundabouts. 

We are marginally better off doing exactly what we have locked in:  

Remaining with OLife, paying the full amount for shorex, and retaining the House Select drinks package.  However, here's the important bit:  We purchased the upgrade to Prestige Drinks Package this morning for $AUD870 each, because by pre-purchasing, we saved approx. $AUD17 per day, over upgrading once aboard.  A no-brainer for us. 

Yes, martinis and just about every bar offering is covered with Prestige.  At mealtimes, the wines are superior to the House Select.  That is not to say, of course, that there is anything at all wrong with the House offerings.  We are a tad fussy with wine, but not so much as to order Penfolds Grange with every meal (I wish).  The few exceptions, not covered by Prestige, are a couple of very expensive drinks (high-end single malt, cognac and champagne) but all other high-quality single malts, cognacs and champagnes, and all cocktails not containing those few high-ends are included.  No need to sign every time, which is the other big magnet for us.

Hope all this helps.

Under OLife, you will still receive the 25% discount after purchasing the requisite number of excursions.  OLife has the same program so you will be able to take advantage of that

17 hours ago, basor said:

Under OLife, you will still receive the 25% discount after purchasing the requisite number of excursions.  OLife has the same program so you will be able to take advantage of that

Thanks, basor.  I have checked again to reassure myself, because that would make a huge diffeence.  Unfortunately, we can't claim both the shorex discount and the drinks package.  We had a choice of one or the other.  Were we to switch to Simply More, as you have noted, we would indeed be eligible for both, but we would need to pay the extra $900 each.  We would be in exactly the same $ spot.  One thing to note:  here in Australia, our booking conditions are usually not nearly as generous as those of the US.  We are also cruising in Queens Grill on Cunard's Queen Anne after the O cruise, and had we booked in US, Cunard's drinks package is included for Queens Grill guests.  Sadly, not for our Australian booking.  Thank you for your much-appreciated post, though.

12 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks, basor.  I have checked again to reassure myself, because that would make a huge diffeence.  Unfortunately, we can't claim both the shorex discount and the drinks package.  We had a choice of one or the other.  Were we to switch to Simply More, as you have noted, we would indeed be eligible for both, but we would need to pay the extra $900 each.  We would be in exactly the same $ spot.  One thing to note:  here in Australia, our booking conditions are usually not nearly as generous as those of the US.  We are also cruising in Queens Grill on Cunard's Queen Anne after the O cruise, and had we booked in US, Cunard's drinks package is included for Queens Grill guests.  Sadly, not for our Australian booking.  Thank you for your much-appreciated post, though.

The 25% off is not part of O-Life. I have booked cruise-only and gotten the 25% off shorex when booking the minimum (sometimes it worked out better that way, especially if taking OE/OS shorex). If you have your shorex pdf detailing all of the excursions for your cruise, the first page will have the Your World Collection (YWC) 25% discount minimum requirements. Here is a screenshot of a recent one for reference:

image.thumb.png.873d66b35a7f835bb8e845a7a06f9137.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

You are discussing 2 different things - your choice of 1 perk under OLife (so many free shore excursions, select drink package or OBC) and receiving. discount (25%) off shore excursions pricing if you book a certain number of excursions,  We have done this several times before under OLife - taken the beverage package as our perk and then booked (and paid for) the minimum number of shore excursions and received 25% off the cost of all excursions when we reached/exceeded the minimum required.  Hope this helps/clarifies how this works...

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

We just did a Vista cruise in May pre SM.  Selected OLife Choice of House Beverage package and still received the 25% shorex credit when minimum purchased. You say you have checked again…..who are you checking with on the issue?  A TA? Oceania direct?? 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Can someone explain simply for a neophyte?  Hubby has purchased the premium package, I have not (I don't see me drinking $600 worth of booze/wine on a 10-day cruise).  Are the advertised drink prices inclusive of the 20% gratuity?

if you have  a drink package  no gratuity is added

If you pay as you drink the  20%  is added to each drink

12 hours ago, Mareblu said:

As others have said, the only requirement for the 25% discount is meeting the minimum  number of required excursions.  If you have the OLife excursion option, you can combine the two, but it is not required to have the OLife excursion option (or any OLife option) to qualify for the 25% discount.

• Like 1

basor, AMHuntFerry, EJL2023 and 1985rz1:

A message of gratitude to you all, and to our diligent TA, who refused to accept Oceania's directive that we were not eligible for the 25% discount on shorex without paying the premium to switch to Simply More.  We have just received, via our TA, an apology from O, and the advice that $AUD785.00 will be deducted from our final payment, due in a few weeks, for our Vista cruise next April.  This amount represents the discount now applied.  O prefers to simply deduct the amount, rather than refunding our credit card.  We are perfectly happy with that arrangement.  You were all correct, and I salute you.  When we booked, this cruise was advertised as a special offering, where we could choose either OBC, House Select package, or up to $1500 discount on shorex.  We chose the drinks package, which we have now upgraded to the Premium package.  I had assumed that the usual discount (YW) for a minimum number of shore excursions, which we had always received when enjoying many O cruises in the past, didn't apply in this case.  The O rep our TA spoke to the other day was of the opinion that to receive the discount, we needed to pay approx. $900 each and switch to SM.  Our TA actually included us in a 3-way call for this decision.  After carefully scanning the T&C, she persisted, and Voila!

On another note, a major glitch with O's website, when purchasing shorex, is one mentioned by at least one other CC contributor.  I had originally purchased 9 tours, but then the following day purchased 1 more.  The minimum on this 20-day cruise to trigger the 25% discount is 10.  I suspect if I'd purchased the 10 at once, all the doubt may have been avoided, and the discount applied at the end of the purchase.  In my case, and in others I've read about on CC, 9 plus 1 did not make 10.  Anyway, all is now well, justice has been administered, and I'm very grateful for all your correct advice and assistance.

• Like 7