Last minute cruise no show

matymil

So this issue is not for me but a co-worker of mine; he is leaving on the Pride in 10 days with another co-worker of mine. The second co-worker just informed us that he cannot go. They are in a balcony and both paid up 100%. Co-worker #1 is telling him to just not show-up and call Carnival the next and tell them that there was an emergency. He was told if he did that, at least he would get the money back for the taxes and port fees. In all the cruises Ive been on, Ive never had to deal with a situation like this so I'm not so sure what the best course of action would be. I don't see any situation where co-worker #2 doesn't have to eat all of the cost but again Ive never been in this situation. Any advice would be welcome. TIA

The one who can’t go will not get any of his fare back, even if he calls and cancels.  However, the port fees and taxes will eventually be refunded.  If he just no-shows guest #1 will not have to pay extra.   BUt if #2. CAlls and cancels #1 might be hit with single supplement, even if #2 doesn’t get a refund.  Does #2 have insurance that might cover the reason for canceling?  Do either of them have insurance?  EM

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The one who can’t go will not get any of his fare back, even if he calls and cancels.  However, the port fees and taxes will eventually be refunded.  If he just no-shows guest #1 will not have to pay extra.   BUt if #2. CAlls and cancels #1 might be hit with single supplement, even if #2 doesn’t get a refund.  Does #2 have insurance that might cover the reason for canceling?  Do either of them have insurance?  EM

No they have nothing. The guy who is cancelling assured him that he was going everytime he'd ask up until today. Co-Worker #2 (the guy cancelling) literally just got back from a 2 week Alaska cruise a couple of days ago so i saw this coming from a mile away unfortunately.

This is definitely a no show situation. No volunteering any info at the terminal either, they are just arriving separately.  The guy who cannot go shouldn't even call Carnival after the fact. Let sleeping dogs lie and he will get his port fees and any prepaid gratuities, excursions, etc back some time after the cruise. 

• Like 6

A few years ago my wife couldn't go on a cruise because a family issue came up and she had to fly out of state during the cruise. She urged me to go as she didn't want both of us to miss it. We didn't cancel her, and when I got to the port nobody asked me where she was. I simply boarded the ship as usual. Shortly before sail away she called me and said that Carnival had called her to see if she was going to make it and she told them no and that something had come up. The person calling her simply said OK and that was it. When I met our cabin steward I informed him she wouldn't be making it. I told him he could take back her pin and bottle of water (back when they used to leave them in the cabin) and he told me to just keep them. Her portion of the port taxes and fees were refunded a day or two later as OBC. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, matymil said:

No they have nothing. The guy who is cancelling assured him that he was going everytime he'd ask up until today. Co-Worker #2 (the guy cancelling) literally just got back from a 2 week Alaska cruise a couple of days ago so i saw this coming from a mile away unfortunately.

So if I'm reading you correctly, there's no last minute emergency involved. Co-worker #2 just decided not to go. That's the last time I'd be anything beyond cordial at the coffee pot in the morning.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, jsglow said:

So if I'm reading you correctly, there's no last minute emergency involved. Co-worker #2 just decided not to go. That's the last time I'd be anything beyond cordial at the coffee pot in the morning.

If I could have a coworker bite the bullet and pay for half my cruise and leaving me solo they would be my new best friend 😉 

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, jsglow said:

Yeah....hes not happy lol. Not to mention he literally just got back from a two week Alaskan cruise a couple of days ago. We all knew that was a bad idea but everytime co-worker #1 would ask him "are you still going" he would say yes.

13 hours ago, john91498 said:

Another reason I don't travel with co-workers. Some are just not reliable....

So they actually cruised with each other last year with no issues which is why he gave him the benefit of the doubt

11 hours ago, matymil said:

So they actually cruised with each other last year with no issues which is why he gave him the benefit of the doubt

I didn't read the part where co-worker #2 fully paid. If that's the case, there's no worry when worker #1 brings back a date to the cabin...😝