MDR Dining times

MaiTaiMary

Open seating will be in the other dining room (well, same MDR but upstairs or downstairs).  If you will not make it to your assigned seating on any given night you can always line up for anytime dining (or make a reservation for it and let them know you won't be at the other dining room)  Or you can eat at a specialty restaurant, room service, or Lido buffet of course.

Edited by Moriah

22 hours ago, MaiTaiMary said:

We selected 5:30p for our dining time. If we don't make it to the MDR by this time, can we just wait for open seating? Or how does that work? Thank you. 

Check in ahead of time and let them know you are running late. They'll let you know what to do.

Early dining is the most sought after. If you don't think you'll make it regularly, you can switch to open and cede your early time to someone who wants it.

• Like 2

If you are in fixed dining you can't just flit over to the open dining room at your leisure. I don't think you can "reserve" a table in open dining if you are in "fixed" dining. You can make a reservation in open dining if you are booked in open dining, you may have to make these reservations a couple days in advance, we were never successful making next day reservations in the MDR and most time when we requested a 2 top we ended up right at the servery station complete with clanging lids and bustle associated with sorting meals for service.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If you are in fixed dining you can't just flit over to the open dining room at your leisure. I don't think you can "reserve" a table in open dining if you are in "fixed" dining. You can make a reservation in open dining if you are booked in open dining, you may have to make these reservations a couple days in advance, we were never successful making next day reservations in the MDR and most time when we requested a 2 top we ended up right at the servery station complete with clanging lids and bustle associated with sorting meals for service.

Yes, that's the pits.  Drove us to any other restaurant but there. Can't hear yourself think with the noise, although maybe I should consider that a blessing once in awhile.

Just now, albingirl said:

Yes, that's the pits.  Drove us to any other restaurant but there. Can't hear yourself think with the noise, although maybe I should consider that a blessing once in awhile.

It almost feels like they do that on purpose "how dare you ask for a 2 top" don't you know you should share. We were lucky with our table mates most of the time when we shared a table, unfortunately when there is a table for 6 or 8 it turns into an hour and a half for dinner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roz said:

I didn't realize you could switch back and forth.  I thought if you missed your fixed dining time, you had to do the Lido or room service.

When I asked, I was told that there was a 15-20 minute window before your table is added to the anytime dining list of open tables for that evening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just got off Zuiderdam and the maitre di told me if your set time is 5:00, you need to be at your table no later than 30 minutes after 5:00. You can’t expect the Galley to make an appetizer, entree and dessert 1 hour late. 

You can speak to any maitre di about changing your dining time or moving from set to anytime, but you can’t change again. It isn’t for 1 day, it is the rest of your cruise.

You still have to wait for a table for Anytime dining. A couple I became friends with said they waited first night for 45 minutes, second night about 25 minutes and every night after about 15 minutes. 

All of these changes are if the dining rooms have available tables and the maitre di will do it.

• Like 1