Silver Spirits Beverage Package

newbe4

2 hours ago, shipboy said:

Have you arranged to meet up with Jane McDonald again 😀

That would be a huge coincidence if Jane was onboard!  I would make sure I had a more substantial role in the filming though  🙂

• Haha 2

Many years ago, I learned that requesting a "Martini" meant that I never knew what I was going to get.  In Lisbon, I received sweet vermouth with olives (no gin or vodka), sweet vermouth with a lemon twist, dry vermouth with olives or lemon, and even a port wine concoction that I was told was a "Traditional Martini".  Interesting experiences, but not what I was expecting.  Now, I ask specifically for what I would like as it seems to work best for me both on land and at sea.

As well, there are multiple names used for drinks made with different liquor (vodka, gin, tequila ...)for a Bloody Mary.  Each bartender seems to have their own additions:  horseradish, amount of Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, pepper, salt, lime, lemon, etc.  It must be very difficult for bartenders to try and make a drink that fits all passengers opinions of what that drink should contain, taste like, and lots of other criteria based on opinions. 

IMO, the worst Singapore Sling that I ever drank was at Raffles in Singapore; although, given the price and experience of drinking it in Singapore, I did finish the drink.  The best Singapore Sling I had was on Singapore Airlines (go figure).

7 hours ago, shipboy said:

Just a pity they don’t serve draught Guinness

That would be great.  They did have a porter (beer/bottle) on VO Saturn a month ago that I REALLY liked, a lot.  I don't even remember what brand it was, I had never seen it before. 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

That would be great.  They did have a porter (beer/bottle) on VO Saturn a month ago that I REALLY liked, a lot.  I don't even remember what brand it was, I had never seen it before. 

I think I had one of those, wasn’t too bad

14 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We have used the Silver Spirits package to do our own "tastings" with various liquors.  We did a gin tasting one evening, asking the bartender to just pour a quarter of an ounce to each of our glasses as we sampled various gins.  This was on Ocean in the Explorers Lounge where we got to know the crew well, but I suppose it could happen on River as well.  

What a good idea this is!  I would never have thought of it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aungrl said:

What a good idea this is!  I would never have thought of it.  

On one cruise we got to know the bartender and one server in the Explorer Lounge very well, and surprisingly after the show in the evening the Lounge was practically empty...  the streets can roll up early on some cruises.  So, because the lounge was so empty we had a lot of fun with this pair.  

We have found that many of the Wine Stewards and Bartenders are studying wine and spirits and have quite extensive knowledge.  Our bartender was very pleased to be able to share a lot of her knowledge with us and she had a lot of fun doing these tastings with us.  

We were not advertising around the lounge that this was what was happening, because I am sure that they don't want to do this for everyone... and it might actually be playing with the rules a bit on the crew side, because SS or not, they still have to charge the liquor dispensed to a cabin...

But, one of the advantages that we have found is when we find and really like a bartender and/or server, we tip them in the beginning of the cruise and then we see a different level of service from them.  Not that they ignore others or that anyone else expects substandard service at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

On one cruise we got to know the bartender and one server in the Explorer Lounge very well, and surprisingly after the show in the evening the Lounge was practically empty...  the streets can roll up early on some cruises.  So, because the lounge was so empty we had a lot of fun with this pair.  

We have found that many of the Wine Stewards and Bartenders are studying wine and spirits and have quite extensive knowledge.  Our bartender was very pleased to be able to share a lot of her knowledge with us and she had a lot of fun doing these tastings with us.  

We were not advertising around the lounge that this was what was happening, because I am sure that they don't want to do this for everyone... and it might actually be playing with the rules a bit on the crew side, because SS or not, they still have to charge the liquor dispensed to a cabin...

But, one of the advantages that we have found is when we find and really like a bartender and/or server, we tip them in the beginning of the cruise and then we see a different level of service from them.  Not that they ignore others or that anyone else expects substandard service at all.

You know you "really like" a bartender "in the beginning of the cruise"?

23 hours ago, shipboy said:

Have you arranged to meet up with Jane McDonald again 😀

Jane no longer presents the TV cruise shows.  She has moved on to land based travel.  Latest called "Lost in Japan"

Cruise shows now presented by Susan Calman a Scottish Comedian.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Do you realize a 15% "tip" is included in the drink price?

7 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Do you realize a 15% "tip" is included in the drink price?

Know all that... we pay the final added gratuities and we typically tip anywhere from another $60-$100 (sometimes more) bucks on board directly to individuals.  And of course to the guides and bus drivers daily...

Tipping is as much a Canadian thing as it is an American thing.

5 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Know all that... we pay the final added gratuities and we typically tip anywhere from another $60-$100 (sometimes more) bucks on board directly to individuals.  And of course to the guides and bus drivers daily...

Tipping is as much a Canadian thing as it is an American thing.

Americans, I think, tend to go overboard - going so far as to seek out opportunities to tip. I cited my wife's tendencies in a previous thread as an example of this phenomenon. This is why I suggested that you'd make a good American. Tipping up front (and extra) almost smacks of a bribe.