RCL stock - these guys really seem to dislike RCL stock

I owned xxx shares pre-COVID.  As the price dropped in 2020 & 2021 I added shares at lower prices.  I now have 3 * xxx shares and am sitting on a very nice profit to say the least. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I owned xxx shares pre-COVID.  As the price dropped in 2020 & 2021 I added shares at lower prices.  I now have 3 * xxx shares and am sitting on a very nice profit to say the least. 

You have only have a profit or loss, when you sell the stock. It could go up or down tomorrow and the number would change. In the last three years, I have taken a profit of about half of your paper profit, and it is sitting in the bank drawing 5.4% interest, taking part of it out to make sure our son and only grandson can access it right away when we are gone. No since of us spending it just to spend it, we’ve got everything we want and done everything we want already.

35 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You have only have a profit or loss, when you sell the stock. It could go up or down tomorrow and the number would change. In the last three years, I have taken a profit of about half of your paper profit, and it is sitting in the bank drawing 5.4% interest, taking part of it out to make sure our son and only grandson can access it right away when we are gone. No since of us spending it just to spend it, we’ve got everything we want and done everything we want already.

I understand it’s a paper profit at this point but I’ve held onto it and have not added any new share since the price went above my average purchase price.  One of the considerations I have that has prompted me not to sell any is the capital gains taxes.  Now that I am fully retired that is less of a consideration.  

Some of the issue here seems to be cruise stocks as an investment vs purchasing just the 100 shares to get the shareholder benefit . You can believe that the massive debt load along with any future world calamity makes these stocks an iffy bet and still make the small investment in your favorite company just to get the stock benefit . That's what I've done.

• Like 2

Here it is from CCL but in short you will get $100 OBC on all their brands for a 1 week cruise.

SHAREHOLDER BENEFIT Carnival Corporation & plc is pleased to extend the following benefit to our shareholders: NORTH AMERICA BRANDS CONTINENTAL EUROPE BRANDS UNITED KINGDOM BRANDS AUSTRALIA BRANDS Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer US $250 €200 £150 A$250 Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days US $100 € 75 £ 60 A$100 Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less US $ 50 € 40 £ 30 A$ 50 

ShareholderBenefit2023-2024.pdf

Edited by richstowe

2 hours ago, HERDFAN said:

What is the onboard credit amount for owning 100 shares? This is interesting and could be worth it if you cruise a couple times a year. Thanks.

$1,000 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on a World Cruise

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6-13 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

• Applicable on any eligible Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises or Silversea Cruises sailing.
  • Excludes any charter or Galapagos sailings.

I purchased my 200 shares RCL stock when it was about $34 and way down because it was way under valued and the stock credit was a nice perk.  I had been on cruises and seen full ships. I tried to convince by brother and sister to buy some but their investment advisors told them it was risky. 

My thought was it would be back into the 70's by now. Instead it has taken off. Best investment I have ever made. 

• Like 1

I bought 100 shares of the stock in 1998 for $2,500. Reinvesting dividends, now worth $17K.  Plus about $1,500 in OBC, so about 15% annual return. I bought again at $30  and will probably sell that soon.  Will keep the original shares and get my $400 per year in OBC (which I have no problem spending) and wait for the stock to increase and dividend to restart.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 6:54 AM, BND said:

We bought 100 shares strictly for the  OBC.  Our CFP is fine with it as we are getting that return on every cruise.  We currently have 11 cruises booked and have RCL stock OBC for every one of them.  It's not a stock we would buy for our portfolio otherwise.  It's just a stock we bought for one purpose and we pretty much ignore it otherwise.  We have other stocks in our IRA's that we bought for their growth and those are the ones we pay more attention to.  I think most RCI stockholders have it for the same reason we do.

We bought a 100 shares 18 years ago at 40 per.  Got probably $5000 worth of OBC since, worth over twice what we paid.  Seems like a reasonable trade.  Have about $1500 more in OBC coming for future cruises.  If you cruise, RC having 100 shares is kind of a low cost no-brainer.  If you are not sailing, maybe not the best stock to buy.  At that point the value actually becomes part of the discussion.  I, also, have Carnival stock, I just don’t prefer to sail with any of their lines… probably should sell, but not enough there to worry about.  Who knows as I get older HAL may become more appealing!🤣

jc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volk904 said:

I purchased my 200 shares RCL stock when it was about $34 and way down because it was way under valued and the stock credit was a nice perk.  I had been on cruises and seen full ships. I tried to convince by brother and sister to buy some but their investment advisors told them it was risky. 

My thought was it would be back into the 70's by now. Instead it has taken off. Best investment I have ever made. 

My best investment, was a semi accidental one.  We had a small CD with a S&L back in the 80s.  We invested 1000$.  100 shares at 10.  The S&L got bought out, the bank that bought it out got bought out.  We ended up with Royal Bank of Canada stock, worth about 90,000$.  I had the oppurtunity to buy as many shares as I wanted.  I could have easily bought 20 or 30 thousand shares…. Actually, considered it.  I am a dumba$$.  🤣