Pool grill buffet at night

Lonedaddy

11 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

This is our first Regent cruise and without being too much of a downer, I have to say that most of what I'm reading on this board makes me wonder if we've made the right choice.  Jockeying to get into a Sette Mari, all the pool chair drama... was hoping that little annoyances like these would be bypassed.

We're Regent newbies too (next May) but I would say don't sweat it. The little annoyances will be there no matter which line you choose. (Though maybe different little annoyances.) You can read all kinds of horror stories on the SB and SS threads too. Part of it is that the post-Covid customer service experience is simply not the pre-Covid customer service experience. All the lines have dealt with high levels of staff turnover, just like airlines, restaurants, hotels, etc. Another part of it is that all three of these lines are owned by big cruise corporations that borrowed massively during Covid to stay afloat, so naturally the bean counters are squeezing the operating costs and as a result, a few things ain't what they used to be. Despite these factors, you will most likely still have a wonderful cruise on a line that many, many people swear by. That's why we booked a cruise on Regent. We would sail SB again too, by the way, despite the little annoyances we experienced on our cruise with them last month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I always thought room service was just that, service to your room.   Having food served in many places on the ship sounds unsanitary.   Assume dirty plates will be left wherever the food is served.

I'm with you on this!  Who wants to be enjoying the Observation Bar and having people eating a hamburger next to you while sitting at the bar and dirty dishes left on the tables..  Room service should mean service to the suites only!

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, nfcu said:

I'm with you on this!  Who wants to be enjoying the Observation Bar and having people eating a hamburger next to you while sitting at the bar and dirty dishes left on the tables..  Room service should mean service to the suites only!

I definitely don’t think room service should be delivered to a bar or observation lounge.  However, to a table outside on pool deck, I see no problem as long as the passengers ensure the dirty dishes are taken care of. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I definitely don’t think room service should be delivered to a bar or observation lounge.  However, to a table outside on pool deck, I see no problem as long as the passengers ensure the dirty dishes are taken care of. 

I have never heard of it delivered to the Observation Lounge or to the bar....but I have gotten it on the pool bar deck before.

On 10/21/2023 at 5:41 AM, Lonedaddy said:

They should just open it on intensive excursion days and ports with a nice ambiance, even if it is a cooled to order service with limited items pizza burgers sandwiches….or make it a reservation resteraunt like silverseas pool grill hot rocks.  Worst case just have the bar open and have a few staff to go pick up from room service .  

on our day in santorini room service was hammered and compass rose was very empty.  

We experienced this last night while docked in Dubrovnik.  The Splendor did not arrive until 1100 hours (the scheduled time, not a delay) and most tours did not finish until 1830 hours or later.  It would have been great to have a casual option as @Lonedaddy states.  Compass Rose was only partially filled--I wonder if Room Service was crazy busy?  The ship did not sail until 2100 hours and the weather was lovely for dining outside.

• Like 3

We just got back from an excursion at 2 many arriving and they closing la veranda and pool grill .  Note the excursion didn’t include lunch.  Just stupid.  Who the hell is making these decisions ??? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mj_holiday said:

On some past cruises when we arrived at the closing of LA Veranda, the CD would be greeting us at the gangway to let us know that La Veranda was open for another hour or so and we could head up there to eat.

That has ALWAYS been our experience.  @Lonedaddy Pool Grill is open until 4pm daily regardless of excursion return times. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, rcandkc said:

People seem to be really worried about dirty dishes.  I would bet money, that the staff has a way of knowing where the room service deliveries have been made and a crew member is on the hook to pick them up in a timely fashion.

18 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

People seem to be really worried about dirty dishes.  I would bet money, that the staff has a way of knowing where the room service deliveries have been made and a crew member is on the hook to pick them up in a timely fashion.

You can call for a pick up of your  dishes but if they don't come in 60 minutes and 2 calls they go out in the hall and the front desk is called.

Edited by Pcardad

6 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Has that happened to you?

Yep. Called for the pickup - waited 30 min. Called again - waited another 30 min. Put tray in hall, called reception, went to sleep. F&B called in the AM to apologize. So sorry, 3 calls should handle it and and I am not sleeping in a little room with leftover food.

On 10/21/2023 at 6:37 AM, Kwaj girl said:

Post #17 made it appear that the poster  was referring to something recent. Unless the comment was regarding daytime pool grill 

I was confirming that on Splendor, Oct 8-20 2023, I was told you could not have room service delivered to pool area, as another poster stated they did on a past cruise.  On this recent voyage, we did not have any evening poolside dining options/poolside evening buffets.  Coming back from excursions many days around 3:30 pm (15:30), the pool grill was the only avenue to get food (other than room service). I feel I had cursed experiences at the pool grill. Food was sometimes not good, and I had little or no service - repeatedly. I was invisible for some reason at that venue! DH probably thought I was being fussy, but even he by the end of our cruise stated "you have had some bad luck."  BTW - the service AROUND the pool for drinks while you were lounging was very good and plentiful. 

As to ordering room service in my room and then taking it to the pool or a different spot, I did not think of that and probably is too much work for me. But whatever works for you to make you happy! 🙂

On 10/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, mj_holiday said:

On some past cruises when we arrived at the closing of LA Veranda, the CD would be greeting us at the gangway to let us know that La Veranda was open for another hour or so and we could head up there to eat.

We too have had this experience, thought it was a lovely touch.  Shame if Regent is not still doing this.  Wonder if it just depends on who the Food and Beverage mgr is on the ship?

Edited by ginny123

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 1:11 PM, ginny123 said:

We too have had this experience, thought it was a lovely touch.  Shame if Regent is not still doing this.  Wonder if it just depends on who the Food and Beverage mgr is on the ship?

Not on Splendor on the 20-30 October 2023 cruise.  (Although the CD, Dru Pavlov, was lovely in all other ways and provided a fun experience on board--including our first Block Party.)  The Pool Grill would be slammed with excursions arriving between 1400-1600 hours.  Luckily a few of our longer excursions included lunch off ship.