Comparing Viking to Oceania

DrKoob

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Accessibility depends on the specific needs of the person. Scooters may not be allowed, but have had no problems with my lightweight folding wheelchair. 

Years of experience as somebody with a spinal injury means that with help from husband I/we can cope in any hotel room.

Viking is as good as any other accommodation provider

My wife's is one of the newer lightweight folding scooters, not much wider than some people and easily will fit through a regular cabin door. This is the scooter that a Viking representative told me we would need to book the cruise first, (pay the administrative fee and deposit) and then submit a request for approval from Viking. The representative would not provide assurance that if the scooter was not approved that Viking would refund the deposit and administrative fee.  This was unacceptable.

Edited by Syd58

9 hours ago, TableGirl said:

@Gray Area - Who has the best burger at sea?   I love a Dive - In burger on HAL and the lunch time burger at the Pinnacle but I thought it was awful on Regent, Oceania, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.

I will get a burger usually once a year and last Viking cruise got a burger at the grill and I must say one of the best burgers I have ever had. I did not try them on our last Oceania cruise. 
overall we prefer Viking over Oceania. 

• Like 2

I can't pass judgement on the burger controversy since that's not one of my personal food specialties, but my hubby was absolutely addicted to the swiss-burger from the grill on our Oceania cruise last year - had that every day for lunch!  However, he also is a fan of the Viking grill's burger. 

Posted (edited)
On 10/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, PasadenaDave said:

Thanks Doc for your always interesting insight.

I went on my first cruise in 1992 and I was unimpressed with the food that so many raved about.  I returned to cruising in 2016 and we seem to do one per year now with Viking.

My opinion on cruise dining has never changed, food is generally acceptable but not amazing.  We have and continue to have the opportunity to eat at some fabulous restaurants and find that unless the place is high end, we both can cook better meals than those served at average restaurants.

My theory is that the average person on a cruise does not experience fine dining at their location of residence for whatever reason.  This is what leads to the wow factor that cruisers have concerning dining on cruises.

I find it interesting that the Kolb’s presently blogging from Orion in the far east typically eat at the World Cafe.  Note that they being out for a long voyage likely to be efficient with time spent eating which isn’t always the case in the MDR.

We often eat in the World Cafe.  The dinner offerings are the same as The Restaurant with smaller portions.  It can be difficult to attend activities in the theater if one dines in The Restaurant.

We really enjoy Chef’s Table and Manfredi’s for a more leisurely evening, although we do not eat in Manfredi’s that often.

An advantage of Viking (world cruise experience) is that you can plan a birthday or anniversary party with Viking handling all the details including invitations, special cakes, hors d’oeuvres, beverages, and service at no additional cost.  Silver Beverage Package has been included in World Cruises, at least through 2022.

Edited by caribe traveller
Did not submit response.

2 hours ago, caribe traveller said:

We often eat in the World Cafe.  The dinner offerings are the same as The Restaurant with smaller portions.  It can be difficult to attend activities in the theater if one dines in The Restaurant.

We often have found more options in the World Cafe or different options than what is on the menu in The Restaurant.

We have never missed a show because of eating in the Restaurant, but then we eat at 6pm sharp each night.  Eating for us is clock based.

12 hours ago, Syd58 said:

My wife's is one of the newer lightweight folding scooters, not much wider than some people and easily will fit through a regular cabin door. This is the scooter that a Viking representative told me we would need to book the cruise first, (pay the administrative fee and deposit) and then submit a request for approval from Viking. The representative would not provide assurance that if the scooter was not approved that Viking would refund the deposit and administrative fee.  This was unacceptable.

I'd recommend getting using a TA outside of Viking.  One with a higher volume of Viking transactions may be able to help you out - better contacts at Viking.  Additionally, they may be able to provide additional OBC.

But in any event, with the $25 deposit offer you don't have a ton at risk especially as compared to the total cost.

If you are objecting to make a point, simply book on another line.  I don't think your objection will change Viking's policy, nor will it change your perceived quality of their representatives.    

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Breckski said:

If you are objecting to make a point, simply book on another line.  I don't think your objection will change Viking's policy, nor will it change your perceived quality of their representatives.    

Excellent Point.

I may object to things, but with the $25 deposit only at risk, I'm willing to "place some bets" as options in case I want something later.

Too many complain about Viking but then don't go to other cruise lines.  I guess it's just human nature.

Most cruise lines have some attribute that some travelers will find unacceptable.  I've found that balancing the attributes I like / love against those I abhor works for me.

This is a good thread. It offers a dialogue about the attributes on each shipping line.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Syd58 said:

I've got a travelscoot, but only use it if taking our car. It's too much of a hassle otherwise, so I use a lightweight folding wheelchair for travel instead. 

It has to be approved via a fitness to travel form for Viking, and a similar form for airlines

Edited by KBs mum

15 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Note too that Viking's policy is that the scooter must be kept in the cabin and not in the hallway.

Not sure what the "administrative fee" is unless it is to do with the scooter request?  I don't pay any "administrative fee" when booking, just a deposit.

Agree that if the deposit is $25.00 then you are not risking much.

Additionally, if the scooter is necessary for all movement, then you have the gangways to deal with as they are often stairs.  Not easy to get a scooter down stairs.

17 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

last Viking cruise got a burger at the grill and I must say one of the best burgers I have ever had.

Thank you for that information.  I'll be sure to try one next year when I'm on Viking.   🙂

5 hours ago, Breckski said:

I'd recommend getting using a TA outside of Viking.  One with a higher volume of Viking transactions may be able to help you out - better contacts at Viking.  Additionally, they may be able to provide additional OBC.

But in any event, with the $25 deposit offer you don't have a ton at risk especially as compared to the total cost.

We use one of the top volume TAs in the U.S. The TA was informed.  I have little doubt Viking will change its policy.  The point is there are many people, both those with handicaps and those without, who are not fans of this policy. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Note too that Viking's policy is that the scooter must be kept in the cabin and not in the hallway.

Not sure what the "administrative fee" is unless it is to do with the scooter request?  I don't pay any "administrative fee" when booking, just a deposit.

Agree that if the deposit is $25.00 then you are not risking much.

Additionally, if the scooter is necessary for all movement, then you have the gangways to deal with as they are often stairs.  Not easy to get a scooter down stairs.

We have never kept a scooter in a hallway, nor ever will.  Scooters stored in hallways should be forbidden on all cruiseships.This lightweight scooter is barely as wide as some people and easily fits through the door of a regular cabin. We have never had a problem with gangways, but if need be, my wife has a walker as well.  The scooter can be easily folded and is about the size of a suitcase. She has MS and the scooter is definitely a major plus for her.  To those of you who have made negative comments, I pray that you never need some sort of assistance.  Unfortunately as people age, the odds are pretty good that you might. I suspect your perspective will be quite different then.

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 3

On 5/2/2024 at 11:07 AM, TableGirl said:

@Gray Area - Who has the best burger at sea?   I love a Dive - In burger on HAL and the lunch time burger at the Pinnacle but I thought it was awful on Regent, Oceania, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.

While I love the burger at the Dive-In, on our last HAL trip (on Koningsdam in May of last year) the wait for one was more than an hour between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. They only had three people working. It was horrid. I finally got one and it was cold. My best buddy ordered a simple hot dog and never got it. Sad.

On 4/28/2024 at 7:16 PM, Syd58 said:

My point was on the Viking ships I’ve considered booking, in order to get an accessible cabin, you must book a penthouse junior suite, which is a good bit higher in price than a regular veranda cabin.  This is in sharp contrast to Oceania, Seabourn, Silversea, and Celebrity who all offer larger accessible cabins at the basic veranda level.

If anyone wants to know why Viking does not encourage scooters or wheelchairs, you should realize it is the same reason they make us pay deposits a year ahead in most cases. It's because they can. 

When Tor started Viking Cruises, he decided to do a cruise line he would want to take, add all the things he would want and not worry about the things he wouldn't. Then, provide such a great product that loyal customers would put up with a few things being missing. If you want to go on Seabourn, Regent, Oceania or which ever other cruise line because you can take a scooter or get an accessible stateroom lower than a suite or pay a deposit only 3-6 months in advance, Viking is willing to have you do that because they have lots of other people who will take your place. Their ships and riverboats always seem to sail full or they do a last minute sale. Either way, not a lot of empty staterooms around, just a bunch of very loyal cruisers. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

They only had three people working.

I think HAL is not keeping enough staff/crew onboard to maintain any kind of standard.  I've heard people think the problem is visas but I don't think that is the problem as I work for the DoS and crew visas are the easiest to renew.  

I think HAL, along with other cruise lines are so deeply in debt that they are cutting back on staff, among other things, to save money.  It IS sad.  However, cruise demand is so high they don't seem to be suffering.  I read an article on the TPG recently that basically said, don't believe the cruise line ads that say "offer ends soon" because all the offers keep getting extended despite the high demand.  I am still cruising on HAL in June/July for a 28 day "Legendary" Voyage and am scheduled (but haven't paid yet) for a Hawaii cruise from Vancouver to San Diego.  I'm going on Viking in March next year.  There are fewer and fewer reasons to travel on HAL and I'm certainly trying other lines.  It's just as a solo traveler it is cheaper to pay for a room on HAL than my preferred lines.

4 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

If anyone wants to know why Viking does not encourage scooters or wheelchairs, you should realize it is the same reason they make us pay deposits a year ahead in most cases. It's because they can. 

When Tor started Viking Cruises, he decided to do a cruise line he would want to take, add all the things he would want and not worry about the things he wouldn't. Then, provide such a great product that loyal customers would put up with a few things being missing. If you want to go on Seabourn, Regent, Oceania or which ever other cruise line because you can take a scooter or get an accessible stateroom lower than a suite or pay a deposit only 3-6 months in advance, Viking is willing to have you do that because they have lots of other people who will take your place. Their ships and riverboats always seem to sail full or they do a last minute sale. Either way, not a lot of empty staterooms around, just a bunch of very loyal cruisers. 

Spot on as usual.  +1

Cheers

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, TableGirl said:

I think HAL is not keeping enough staff/crew onboard to maintain any kind of standard.  I've heard people think the problem is visas but I don't think that is the problem as I work for the DoS and crew visas are the easiest to renew.  

I think HAL, along with other cruise lines are so deeply in debt that they are cutting back on staff, among other things, to save money.  It IS sad.  However, cruise demand is so high they don't seem to be suffering.  I read an article on the TPG recently that basically said, don't believe the cruise line ads that say "offer ends soon" because all the offers keep getting extended despite the high demand.  I am still cruising on HAL in June/July for a 28 day "Legendary" Voyage and am scheduled (but haven't paid yet) for a Hawaii cruise from Vancouver to San Diego.  I'm going on Viking in March next year.  There are fewer and fewer reasons to travel on HAL and I'm certainly trying other lines.  It's just as a solo traveler it is cheaper to pay for a room on HAL than my preferred lines.

You should try Windstar. They have a lot of single staterooms without a single supplement. And there are a lot of lines that now have single staterooms. 

And I totally agree with your assessment of the cruise industry in general. Even though ships are sailing full, they are still hurting from the pandemic and from trying to keep their shareholders happy.

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

If you want to go on Seabourn, Regent, Oceania or which ever other cruise line because you can take a scooter or get an accessible stateroom lower than a suite or pay a deposit only 3-6 months in advance, Viking is willing to have you do that because they have lots of other people who will take your place. 

Exactly.

Viking can't please everyone, and in this situation, they did what I would do.  I have a handicapped mother and would not want her to cruise in anything smaller than a PS category stateroom.  Ships move, rock & roll a bit, and have pretty small base staterooms.  The larger room would make it so much easier for her to get around corners.  But this is just my opinion, and Viking can't please the entire population of cruisers.    

And I certainly wouldn't expect Viking to have accessible staterooms in every stateroom category - why isn't the owners suite ADA accessible from the opposite end of the spectrum.

I have held off comment but everyone should know that ADA means “Americans!  Viking is a foreign flagged vessel and most of the world is not disabled accessible 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

I have held off comment but everyone should know that ADA means “Americans!  Viking is a foreign flagged vessel and most of the world is not disabled accessible 

I wrote this in another thread. Viking is Norwegian flagged and Norway / EU does have the equivalent of the ADA. If a ship docks in US waters, it must comply. There is however a broad exemption that anything that interferes with ship safety is exempt. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Of course, any business can do 'whatever' it wants to do, at least in the short-run, but this doesn't mean it is the 'right' thing to do. Have you heard of the term 'social responsibility'? 

Edited by Syd58
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I wrote this in another thread. Viking is Norwegian flagged and Norway / EU does have the equivalent of the ADA. If a ship docks in US waters, it must comply. There is however a broad exemption that anything that interferes with ship safety is exempt. 

Actually, countries like Switzerland and Norway have regulations similar to ADA in the U.S. Not sure how a lightweight, foldable scooter that is not as wide as some people might interfere with ship safety.  Luxury lines like Silversea, Seabourn, and Oceania don't seem to think so.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Corporate policies are not stagnant. They change relative to internal and external factors, including customer demands and preferences, competition, regulations, laws, environment, etc. For example, if enough people said they were not going to pay a deposit as far in advance as Viking requires, Viking would have to modify this policy.

Edited by Syd58