Comparing Viking to Oceania

DrKoob

Thanks for the comparison as I've just cancelled a Viking Cruise for 2025 due to full payment in July of 2024.  No adjustment  for past cruisers, I guess we don't matter to Viking.  Have been considering Vista however I am enlightened by your observations on lack of outdoor access.  I do love Viking for that and we spend most of our time enjoying being outside or having a pre dinner drink in the Explorers Lounge.  We enjoyed the dining room very much on our last Viking cruise except for the drama as the hostess was overridden on her table assignments  by several men hoovering over her.  I will hold off booking till 2025 and cross my fingers for availability on either line.    In the meantime I enjoy reading the reviews and very useful cruise comments.  Thank you.  

A78490F1-643A-4BA5-B91B-8F700B16A95A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelswithmycamera said:

Thanks for the comparison as I've just cancelled a Viking Cruise for 2025 due to full payment in July of 2024.  No adjustment  for past cruisers, I guess we don't matter to Viking.  Have been considering Vista however I am enlightened by your observations on lack of outdoor access.  I do love Viking for that and we spend most of our time enjoying being outside or having a pre dinner drink in the Explorers Lounge.  We enjoyed the dining room very much on our last Viking cruise except for the drama as the hostess was overridden on her table assignments  by several men hoovering over her.  I will hold off booking till 2025 and cross my fingers for availability on either line.    In the meantime I enjoy reading the reviews and very useful cruise comments.  Thank you.  

A78490F1-643A-4BA5-B91B-8F700B16A95A.jpeg

Viking does offer an option to past customers to delay the pay-in-full timing when you have another cruise already booked or when you book onboard. Be certain to request it when booking, as sometimes it is not directly offered, but it will be honored when requested. Final payment will be 6 months from sailing in those cases. 

If you wait until 2025 and find the availability you want with Viking, then keep that in mind going forward. Many of us use that strategy to manage our payment dates. In our early days with Viking interest rates were so low it didn't seem like such an issue. Now, a year's worth of earned interest is worth some effort!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

Viking does offer an option to past customers to delay the pay-in-full timing when you have another cruise already booked or when you book onboard. Be certain to request it when booking, as sometimes it is not directly offered, but it will be honored when requested. Final payment will be 6 months from sailing in those cases. 

If you wait until 2025 and find the availability you want with Viking, then keep that in mind going forward. Many of us use that strategy to manage our payment dates. In our early days with Viking interest rates were so low it didn't seem like such an issue. Now, a year's worth of earned interest is worth some effort!

They will also extend the payment date if you book another cruise in the interim. We had no plans to sail in 2024 but had a booking for late 2025 that we made late last year. When a great deal came up this year we called and got our 2025 cruise payment moved from June of this year to 6 months out and booked a 2024 cruise for this August. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

IMO, VO is not as good for passengers that have accessibility issues.  In the cruises we've considered, you have to move up to a penthouse junior suite to get an accessible cabin. Oceania has accessible veranda cabins.  Also, my spouse uses a scooter and I was unable to get a satisfactory answer regarding the acceptability of a particular scooter prior to placing a deposit with VO.  Oceania appears to be better for passengers with accessibility issues.

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Syd58 said:

IMO, VO is not as good for passengers that have accessibility issues.  In the cruises we've considered, you have to move up to a penthouse junior suite to get an accessible cabin. Oceania has accessible veranda cabins.  Also, my spouse uses a scooter and I was unable to get a satisfactory answer regarding the acceptability of a particular scooter prior to placing a deposit with VO.  Oceania appears to be better for passengers with accessibility issues.

That is very true and they admit it in there 'information'.  It's stated that scooters are not allowed (even though I have seen them aboard, but very few.)  The VO ships are just not designed for that.

Edited by rmalbers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

That is very true and they admit it in there 'information'.  It's stated that scooters are not allowed (even though I have seen them aboard, but very few.)  The VO ships are just not designed for that.

I corresponded/spoke directly with Viking on this issue multiple times. Scooters are definitely allowed on Viking Ocean cruises; they are just restricted as to size and weight and must be approved.  The issues I have with VO are: 1. passengers with accessibility issues (and want/need an accessible cabin) usually have to book a penthouse junior suite as opposed to a regular veranda cabin, which can run thousands more and 2. in our case, having to book the cabin first before the scooter was approved, potentially losing the administrative fee. 

I understand Viking River cruises have little accessibility, which is understandable, but even  luxury liners such as Silversea and Seabourn are accessible-friendly. My feeling is Viking needs to reassess its accessibility policies and availability of veranda suites (below the level of penthouse junior suites) for handicapped passengers.

Edited by Syd58

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Syd58 said:

I corresponded/spoke directly with Viking on this issue multiple times. Scooters are definitely allowed on Viking Ocean cruises; they are just restricted as to size and weight and must be approved.  The issues I have with VO are: 1. passengers with accessibility issues (and want/need an accessible cabin) usually have to book a penthouse junior suite as opposed to a regular veranda cabin, which can run thousands more and 2. in our case, having to book the cabin first before the scooter was approved, potentially losing the administrative fee. 

I understand Viking River cruises have little accessibility, which is understandable, but even  luxury liners such as Silversea and Seabourn are accessible-friendly. My feeling is Viking needs to reassess its accessibility policies and availability of veranda suites (below the level of penthouse junior suites) for handicapped passengers.

What I was trying to point out, is that it was a conscious decision on VO's part from the start.  Their ship design just can't handle them, which prompted their policy.  The other point they make where they talk about no scooters is that a lot of the ports where they go are not 'designed' for scooters, etc.  There is also the crew issue, part of which is tendering, again part of it is ship design, but also being a small ship they just don't have the crew required to assist people that can't walk.  I've seen the issues first hand.  There are plenty of choices out there for all cruisers and VO is not for everyone.  Trust me, you don't want to use VO with a scooter.

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

What I was trying to point out, is that it was a conscious decision on VO's part from the start.  Their ship design just can't handle them, which prompted their policy.  The other point they make where they talk about no scooters is that a lot of the ports where they go are not 'designed' for scooters, etc.  There is also the crew issue, part of which is tendering, again part of it is ship design, but also being a small ship they just don't have the crew required to assist people that can't walk.  I've seen the issues first hand.  There are plenty of choices out there for all cruisers and VO is not for everyone.  Trust me, you don't want to use VO with a scooter.

If their Ocean ships can’t handle scooters, then why do they offer accessible penthouse junior suites? Both Silversea and Seabourn have ships about the same size or smaller than Viking Ocean ships, yet they go out of their way to accommodate passengers with disabilities/handicaps. On these lines, you do not have to pay significantly more to upgrade to a higher level cabin to have accessibility.  Also, it should be pointed out that not every handicapped passenger desires to get off the ship and go on excursions, so this is not always a legitimate reason to not accommodate those passengers with disabilities. With all this said, I do agree with you that VO appears to have made a conscious decision that does not particularly favor those individuals that have accessibility issues. IMO, this is unfortunate.  As people age, accessibility becomes a factor for more and more people. 

Edited by Syd58

1 hour ago, Syd58 said:

If their Ocean ships can’t handle scooters, then why do they offer accessible penthouse junior suites? Both Silversea and Seabourn have ships about the same size or smaller than Viking Ocean ships, yet they go out of their way to accommodate passengers with disabilities/handicaps. On these lines, you do not have to pay significantly more to upgrade to a higher level cabin to have accessibility.  Also, it should be pointed out that not every handicapped passenger desires to get off the ship and go on excursions, so this is not always a legitimate reason to not accommodate those passengers with disabilities. With all this said, I do agree with you that VO appears to have made a conscious decision that does not particularly favor those individuals that have accessibility issues. IMO, this is unfortunate.  As people age, accessibility becomes a factor for more and more people. 

I haven't been in one of those cabins but my guess it's because of the increase in size of the bathroom.  I'm not sure their definition of 'accessible' is the same as yours because of their documented policies. 

2 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I haven't been in one of those cabins but my guess it's because of the increase in size of the bathroom.  I'm not sure their definition of 'accessible' is the same as yours because of their documented policies. 

My point was on the Viking ships I’ve considered booking, in order to get an accessible cabin, you must book a penthouse junior suite, which is a good bit higher in price than a regular veranda cabin.  This is in sharp contrast to Oceania, Seabourn, Silversea, and Celebrity who all offer larger accessible cabins at the basic veranda level.

Posted (edited)

I looked it up, it's in the FAQ, in knew it was on their site somewhere: Guests who have a disability, physical or otherwise, must travel with an able-bodied companion who can assist them as the staff is not permitted to lift guests or push wheelchairs. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guests must complete and return the Accessibility Form to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. Not all river ships have an elevator to all floors, and in some docking locations, it may be necessary to double berth, which means crossing other ships to disembark. Contact a Viking Expert at 1-877-668-4546 (1-877-66VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Accessibility Form and policy statement.

Edited by rmalbers
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I looked it up, it's in the FAQ, in knew it was on their site somewhere: Guests who have a disability, physical or otherwise, must travel with an able-bodied companion who can assist them as the staff is not permitted to lift guests or push wheelchairs. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guests must complete and return the Accessibility Form to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. Not all river ships have an elevator to all floors, and in some docking locations, it may be necessary to double berth, which means crossing other ships to disembark. Contact a Viking Expert at 1-877-668-4546 (1-877-66VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Accessibility Form and policy statement.

While I will not post the e-mail I received from Viking, I was told scooters must be approved after booking. Again, not sure why Viking's accessibility policies for ocean cruises are so different from luxury liners such as Silversea and Seabourn, whose ships are about the same size or smaller.  From my research, Switzerland appears to have rather stringent accessibility guidelines/regulations similar to the ADA regulations in the U.S.

Edited by Syd58

We completed Oceania Cruise #5 in March; around Japan. 

1.  NO Quite Boxes. On a bus of 24 or 26 guest you cannot hear the tour guide, speaking softly at the front of the line if there are more that 2 persons in front of you.

2. Many tour guides lacked the ability to understand questions in English. Many of the "tour guides" read from a type written script. (At dinner a woman told us how the bus driver was translating for the "tour Guide"

3 Meals:  Breakfast good, Lunch and Dinner the beef dishes were tough and the chicken dishes were dry and tough. The fish entree I had one night was dry and over cooked.  Vegetable of the Day for lunch and dinner was always Steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli. With 1 entree the green peas were hard  Red Ginger had excellent food.

DH has stated No More Oceania, and stay with cruise tours using Quite Boxes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MSEm said:

We completed Oceania Cruise #5 in March; around Japan. 

1.  NO Quite Boxes. On a bus of 24 or 26 guest you cannot hear the tour guide, speaking softly at the front of the line if there are more that 2 persons in front of you.

2. Many tour guides lacked the ability to understand questions in English. Many of the "tour guides" read from a type written script. (At dinner a woman told us how the bus driver was translating for the "tour Guide"

3 Meals:  Breakfast good, Lunch and Dinner the beef dishes were tough and the chicken dishes were dry and tough. The fish entree I had one night was dry and over cooked.  Vegetable of the Day for lunch and dinner was always Steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli. With 1 entree the green peas were hard  Red Ginger had excellent food.

DH has stated No More Oceania, and stay with cruise tours using Quite Boxes.

We sailed around Japan last year with Oceania and had a similar experience, especially with food. Our fish was overcooked and dry. We stayed in a cabin class with a butler which includes private dinner service in your cabin. Those meals were better than when out in their main dining areas. Our experience is that Viking’s food was far superior than Oceania’s overall.

Also, our cabin bathroom on Oceania was smaller than Viking’s and we missed our heated floor and anti-fog mirror.

After we returned home, we canceled an upcoming 53 day voyage with Oceania which we had booked previously. 

We’ve cruised with Viking Ocean and Viking Expedition once each and both experiences were far superior than what Oceania delivered. For us, Oceania is a once and done.

Posted (edited)

Most consider the food on Oceania to be among the best in the industry.. I don't care for the decor in Viking cabins. 

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Syd58 said:

Most consider the food on Oceania to be among the best in the industry.. I don't care for the decor in Viking cabins. 

I am not sure about “Most”, but that is what Oceania marketing claims.  In my one experience, I would say it’s about average for the lines I have sailed on (Celebrity, Viking, Royal Caribbean, Holland America) and I have experienced far better (recent Holland America cruise).

• Like 1

This is a gray area! 😀

9 hours ago, slewis7 said:

I am not sure about “Most”, but that is what Oceania marketing claims.  In my one experience, I would say it’s about average for the lines I have sailed on (Celebrity, Viking, Royal Caribbean, Holland America) and I have experienced far better (recent Holland America cruise).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gray Area said:

This is a gray area! 😀

If what you mean is it is subjective, I agree.  Also, the experience ends to vary from cruise to cruise on the same line.   I only harp on Oceania for this because they make a big deal of their food quality.

• Like 2

World's Greatest Hamburger! Perfectly legal for anyone and everyone to claim it, but there can only be one, and it is

9 hours ago, slewis7 said:

If what you mean is it is subjective, I agree.  Also, the experience ends to vary from cruise to cruise on the same line.   I only harp on Oceania for this because they make a big deal of their food quality.

1 hour ago, Syd58 said:

Sofas in viking cabins very uncomfortable

On 4/28/2024 at 8:25 PM, Syd58 said:

Accessibility depends on the specific needs of the person. Scooters may not be allowed, but have had no problems with my lightweight folding wheelchair. 

Years of experience as somebody with a spinal injury means that with help from husband I/we can cope in any hotel room.

Viking is as good as any other accommodation provider

4 hours ago, Gray Area said:

World's Greatest Hamburger! Perfectly legal for anyone and everyone to claim it, but there can only be one, and it is

@Gray Area - Who has the best burger at sea?   I love a Dive - In burger on HAL and the lunch time burger at the Pinnacle but I thought it was awful on Regent, Oceania, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Sofas in viking cabins very uncomfortable

Ya, I've had worse but I've also had a lot better.  I prefer the chair and put it near the door/window.