Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

5 hours ago, UK__cruiser said:

Charli001 it looks like you have a different system to the UK and USA in Australia, although I think that this may be changing. We have a My Silversea website for all our bookings (past, present and future) and not a Voyages part of the Silversea website. There is another thread on the Cruise Critic board indicating that changes are taking place and information is being moved to the My Silversea site. Good luck! 

We definitely have a my.silversea site 

My hotel for the Seychelles has been showing since mid last year.  As have all other details. 

Charli it’s a totally separate site. Perhaps you may be able to find information at  https://my.silversea.com/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2f

20 hours ago, The Dog Fosterer said:

That's the day of our Elephant Orphanage excursion, so obviously they are working through things methodically.  Our excursions for the latter part of the cruise, where the itinerary didn't change, remain in place.  Definitely feel like things are falling into place now.

The www.cruisemapper.com site continues to be a very helpful and fascinating site with such great info, updates. Earlier today, it shows the Silver Moon speed as being at 20 knots. When I just checked now, the ship's speed was 19.3 knots. Clearly they can crank up the sailing speed as needed. That's encouraging for the ability to make Mumbai by early on the morning of Feb. 14.  

image.png.701942bc44973240daad57c8c852b38a.png

image.png.663abe68349eb5884e66d8c8f083e99c.png

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

How do you get from Cape Town to Mumbai?  As shown below from Google, flying would be the FASTEST!!

image.thumb.png.7da4ec6fcac11ee8ad58678066f68f28.png

BUT, for Silversea, moving the Silver Moon does not load that well on a Boeing 787.  

This information next shows that sailing speed make a difference.  From sea-distances.org, here are three examples to illustrate what the Captain of the Silver Moon will consider:
Cape Town to Mumbai, 4599 nautical miles, 10 days 16 hours, at 18 knots speed
Cape Town to Mumbai, 4599 nautical miles, 10 days 2 hours, at 19 knots speed
Cape Town to Mumbai, 4599 nautical miles, 9 days 14 hours, at 20 knots speed

Between a sail-away time later on Feb. 2 from Cape Town to arriving early morning of Feb. 14 in Mumbai is very possible, if and if.  BUT, will a re-fueling stop be needed between South Africa and India?  Where?  How long to re-fuel a ship such as the Silver Moon?

It is just one week till we fly out from Ohio to JFK airport in NYC and then board our American flight, non-stop, to Delhi.  The EXCITEMENT is building and getting much closer for this adventure.  It will be interesting during this coming week to monitor the Silver Moon progress to Cape Town and then to Mumbai.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 34,457 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

17 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

How do you get from Cape Town to Mumbai?  As shown below from Google, flying would be the FASTEST!!

image.thumb.png.7da4ec6fcac11ee8ad58678066f68f28.png

BUT, for Silversea, moving the Silver Moon does not load that well on a Boeing 787.  

This information next shows that sailing speed make a difference.  From sea-distances.org, here are three examples to illustrate what the Captain of the Silver Moon will consider:
Cape Town to Mumbai, 4599 nautical miles, 10 days 16 hours, at 18 knots speed
Cape Town to Mumbai, 4599 nautical miles, 10 days 2 hours, at 19 knots speed
Cape Town to Mumbai, 4599 nautical miles, 9 days 14 hours, at 20 knots speed

Between a sail-away time later on Feb. 2 from Cape Town to arriving early morning of Feb. 14 in Mumbai is very possible, if and if.  BUT, will a re-fueling stop be needed between South Africa and India?  Where?  How long to re-fuel a ship such as the Silver Moon?

It is just one week till we fly out from Ohio to JFK airport in NYC and then board our American flight, non-stop, to Delhi.  The EXCITEMENT is building and getting much closer for this adventure.  It will be interesting during this coming week to monitor the Silver Moon progress to Cape Town and then to Mumbai.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 34,457 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Looking pretty good Terry!  Even with a slight day or two delay I do believe a great journey is in your future.

I hear they are going to refuel in Somalia.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone in Australia booked Mumbai to Singapore and if so have you heard from Silverseas re hotel accommodation in Mumbai or any communication at all. Would appreciate if you would please advise. Many thanks,

Charli001

Hi Mrs Waldo,

yes I did try the link, there was nothing there re hotel accommodation in Mumbai

and previous restaurant bookings and excursions made have all been wiped off. Are you from Australia?

Charli001

Just noticed on the itinerary that Mormugao is Missing.  First stop now is Cochin.  Is this a new adjustment or have I just missed it previously?

Also noted that the planned activity in Singapore has been restored.

Still no confirmation of Mumbai activities.  Perhaps they are going to hire a Maharajas Express🙏

Now I'm really confused.  The Departure date from Mumbai has been changed to 7.00 p.m. on the 14th, with an arrival time in Cochin of 7.00 a.m. the following morning.  I don't think it is possible to sail that far in 12 hours.  Am I missing something? 

I assume that you are getting this information from the Activities page in My Silversea?  If you are I think the details on the first 10 days are a "work in progress". On mine they have us embarking at 2pm on a Day at sea on the 11th Feb, followed by 2 Days at sea and then arriving in Mumbai on 14th!  It still shows me going to Trincomalee on 20th and my excursion from Hambantota (Yala National Park) is shown on that date. I'm not worried as on the revised itinerary we are due to be in Hambantota and not Trincomalee on the 20th. The last 9 days of Activities on My Silversea are correct at present and show all my excursions too. Clearly there is much updating to be done and presumably this has to be done "passenger by passenger" once they have confirmation that the original activities can be provided by the suppliers on the new dates and times? Quite a task.

1 hour ago, UK__cruiser said:

If you are I think the details on the first 10 days are a "work in progress". Clearly there is much updating to be done and presumably this has to be done "passenger by passenger" once they have confirmation that the original activities can be provided by the suppliers on the new dates and times? Quite a task.

Agree strongly that the above comment about much being a "work in progress" summarizes these "things" much very well. Much needs to be done and I am fairly hopefully that by Tuesday afternoon, we should receive more specific details for what will happen Feb. 11-14 in Mumbai with food, tours, etc., there.  Clearly in some markets such as Australia, there are more challenges and the communications has been less than ideal.  Or, worse?   

This morning from www.cruisemapper.com below is what they show as the Silver Moon (circled in red) getting closer to Cape Town.  The ship speed is at 19.2 knots, a very nice pace that shows the Captain is moving along at a pace to arrive for that South Africa re-fueling either on schedule or slightly ahead of the planned schedule.  Encouraging to me for making Mumbai by early morning Feb. 14!!

image.thumb.png.88aaa2aeacba726aa7e3f7418dc61733.png

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 32,804 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

She's not alone . . . 

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 14.03.46.png

Appreciate the great visual, comment and follow-up from travel savvy Fletcher.  Yes, lots of ships these days doing the South Africa sail-around to avoid the Yemen coast dangers. 

As a positive update, below is the how, slowly, the My Silversea website schedule for our Mumbai-Singapore cruise is getting updated and fixed.  For these dates shown below, they have not yet opened up the bookings potentials and/or restored tours previously scheduled.  But, I can fortunately see some progress this am.  

image.thumb.png.b03ecaaa841314db31181ee9b5e0c5d0.png

Just went back to our My Silversea site and was able to lock in excursion bookings for Goa through Colombo.  Previously the tour booking for Hambamtota was done and is showing for us.  

image.thumb.png.a243d19935af15b7556697814a8b91a5.png

Nothing has been opened up yet for Mumbai excursions, but this is solid, positive progress on Monday morning.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Looks like we have different default views for My Silversea accounts in the USA and UK, but after seeing Terry's latest post I went and had another look at mine. Still looks a nonsense for 11-13 February, but now has correct ports showing for 14-29 Feb (i.e. the revised cruise itinerary). This has changed significantly in the last 4 hours. My previously booked excursions have not come through for 14-19 Feb but it looks like things are being updated all of the time. Still things to do but work is happening in the background!

Screenshot2024-01-29163449.thumb.jpg.eb0ee745e4d3195eb7ef138fe131985d.jpg

3 minutes ago, UK__cruiser said:

Still looks a nonsense for 11-13 February, but now has correct ports showing for 14-29 Feb (i.e. the revised cruise itinerary). This has changed significantly in the last 4 hours. My previously booked excursions have not come through for 14-19 Feb but it looks like things are being updated all of the time. Still things to do but work is happening in the background!

Yes, things still need fixed for Feb. 11, etc., but starting Feb. 14 things are looking good and closer to NORMAL!!  Will keep monitoring later today and Tuesday.  Hopefully, by early Wednesday, we will see continued solid progress and more details/specifics for Mumbai. Plus, the Silver Moon will be getting nearly to Cape Town and on schedule for the Indian Ocean crossing to Mumbai.  

Just received an email notification of our revised cruise itinerary from our UK Travel Agent. It confirms the itinerary which we saw on this site last week but also gives a little bit of new information about our stay in Mumbai.

Mumbaiarrangements.thumb.jpg.22d678adb2e6d9dc57e5ae07da009969.jpg

I'm not sure if these excursions will appear on My Silversea or not, but obviously we should look out for them.

3 hours ago, UK__cruiser said:

Looks like we have different default views for My Silversea accounts in the USA and UK, but after seeing Terry's latest post I went and had another look at mine. Still looks a nonsense for 11-13 February, but now has correct ports showing for 14-29 Feb (i.e. the revised cruise itinerary). This has changed significantly in the last 4 hours. My previously booked excursions have not come through for 14-19 Feb but it looks like things are being updated all of the time. Still things to do but work is happening in the background!

Screenshot2024-01-29163449.thumb.jpg.eb0ee745e4d3195eb7ef138fe131985d.jpg

At the top right of this chart, above the yellow excursion at the right is the spot to switch to the horizontal timeline shown in Terry's post.

Hi UK cruiser and others,

This is great information for me in Australia as I haven’t even been given the name of the hotel in Mumbai where I will be staying. There are no excursions on mysilverseas account, no restaurant reservations, nothing has been updated. If it wasn’t for this webpage I would be totally in the dark. I’ve contacted SS on several occasions to be told they’re still working out hotels and when we will be officially notified. Thank you to all for your shared and valuable information.

Charli001 Sydney

Charli001, sorry to hear about your lack of contact in Australia. With regards to the transfer from Mumbai Airport to the Mumbai hotel, our Travel Agent is providing this as part of a pre-cruise package which we are taking. 

15 hours ago, UK__cruiser said:

Yes, I'm with Imagine Cruising. Of the 10 excursions that we had booked on this cruise, 6 were 4 hour trips and 4 were longer (2 of these longer ones were paid excursions for things we wanted to specifically see). This balance is what we tend to do on our cruises, as at our age, full day excursions, particularly when back to back can be very tiring! Consequently we are OK with the offerings. On the 11th we are travelling down from Delhi and won't get to the hotel until early afternoon so we will spend the rest of that day familiarising ourselves with the hotel and surrounding area. We are due to board the ship on the morning of the 14th and so that leaves us with potentially 2 full days for excursions. The full day trip will be one day for us and a half day trip around the City on the other will do us fine.

We are also flying down from Delhi, probably on the same plane.  I will probably do the shorter 2 hour drive in the afternoon and two of the 4 hour excursions on the following two days.  I am not sure I can cope with the local trains, but we'll see.  Having slept on it, it doesn't seem too bad.  I will just make sure I have a good book and my swimming costume to relax on the rooftop pool area which looks perfect.

There is no mention of a transfer from the hotel to the ship, have you heard anything about who is providing this? 

It was interesting that the excursions for the first two ports of call, whilst available for booking yesterday, have been removed again.  Not sure why. 

55 minutes ago, The Dog Fosterer said:

I will probably do the shorter 2 hour drive in the afternoon and two of the 4 hour excursions on the following two days.  I am not sure I can cope with the local trains, but we'll see.  Having slept on it, it doesn't seem too bad.  I will just make sure I have a good book and my swimming costume to relax on the rooftop pool area which looks perfect.  It was interesting that the excursions for the first two ports of call, whilst available for booking yesterday, have been removed again.  Not sure why. 

As of this morning, it is a "mix" of good and bad news.  Is this the "Silversea Two-Step"?   Happy per below's morning chart that the Silver Moon is now off of the coast of Namibia and on schedule to reach Cape Town in needed time.  Now, Silver Moon is traveling at a 17.3 knots speed.  

Late yesterday we received the one-page summary of tours for Feb. 11-13.  Last week, they promised: "exciting selection of destination experiences".  In my view, nothing too inspiring and/or unique, but maybe it will work out OK for what's possible and reasonable in Mumbai?  How large of groups and/or full will be the buses for these tours?  

It is still unclear for the "details" on food and drinks.  Maybe, we will have choice and options for where and how we dining in the hotel and/or outside?  Or, maybe, just with large, bland buffets in a hotel ballroom?  Or, some mixed type of food choices and offerings?  That's still very vague and totally unclear.  

Yesterday, I was able to make added Feb. 15-19 tour reservations through My Silversea.  But, then they disappeared later on the SS website.  Now, those bookings are back, but we cannot go in and change any of those reservations for these port stops.  Silversea IT for this cruise still needs fine-tuning and polishing.  Right or wrong?  Fair or unfair?

Per www.cruisemapper.com this morning with the Silver Moon circled in red: 

image.thumb.png.fdb30967dc6277fb55317d9a712e2ba4.png

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,402 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/