Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

3 hours ago, UK__cruiser said:

Apart from Mumbai, I now have all my excursions in place on My Silversea. I hope they now stay there! Earlier today no bookings were possible but they suddenly "appeared" and so I decided to take the plunge! 

YES, let's hope that the tour bookings that both of us made yesterday and this morning do "stick" and stay there on the My Silversea website.  Plus, that SS will be giving us more details and specifics for Feb. 11-14 in Mumbai.  

SUPER BOWL?:  While most in the UK and in other parts of the world do not care that much, something really "BIG" is getting ready to happen here.  In the U.S. on Sunday, Feb. 11 at 6:30 pm (ET), our Super Bowl commences.  As shown below, it is San Francisco versus Kansas City.   At that time here, it will be 5 am, Feb. 12 in India.  What does Silversea do on its ships, if anything, to provide viewing options for this famed American “football” game?  Will Silversea have any options at our ship-provided hotel in Mumbai to be able to view this you sporting contest?  But, right now, this is not the biggest question of interest for those doing this Silver Moon sailing, Mumbai to Singapore.  

image.thumb.png.255dcb1303ef76429c653724cda575fa.png

And this game also has the major HOT BUZZ of the "Taylor Swift Connection" as her beau is the top receiver for the KC Chiefs.  This pop star will be in Las Vegas cheering him and his team on to victory.  Inquiring minds want to know more.  

image.thumb.png.5af8fd8681d3e729960c0b8f372afd00.png

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 20,657 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

52 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

YES, let's hope that the tour bookings that both of us made yesterday and this morning do "stick" and stay there on the My Silversea website.  Plus, that SS will be giving us more details and specifics for Feb. 11-14 in Mumbai.  

SUPER BOWL?:  While most in the UK and in other parts of the world do not care that much, something really "BIG" is getting ready to happen here.  In the U.S. on Sunday, Feb. 11 at 6:30 pm (ET), our Super Bowl commences.  As shown below, it is San Francisco versus Kansas City.   At that time here, it will be 5 am, Feb. 12 in India.  What does Silversea do on its ships, if anything, to provide viewing options for this famed American “football” game?  Will Silversea have any options at our ship-provided hotel in Mumbai to be able to view this you sporting contest?  But, right now, this is not the biggest question of interest for those doing this Silver Moon sailing, Mumbai to Singapore.  

image.thumb.png.255dcb1303ef76429c653724cda575fa.png

And this game also has the major HOT BUZZ of the "Taylor Swift Connection" as her beau is the top receiver for the KC Chiefs.  This pop star will be in Las Vegas cheering him and his team on to victory.  Inquiring minds want to know more.  

image.thumb.png.5af8fd8681d3e729960c0b8f372afd00.png

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 20,657 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

If we were on the Silver Moon it would be straight forward - they would show the whole game live in the Venetian Lounge on Deck 5 (at least they did this last year when we were on board!). Not sure what will happen at the Mumbai hotels. 

4 hours ago, UK__cruiser said:

If we were on the Silver Moon it would be straight forward - they would show the whole game live in the Venetian Lounge on Deck 5 (at least they did this last year when we were on board!). Not sure what will happen at the Mumbai hotels. 

Great background and follow-up that Silversea has interest and supports such major sports events such as the Super Bowl.  But, for us, with the Silver Moon delayed due to the Africa circumnavigation, what will be possible at our hotels in Mumbai?  After getting more of the "basics" for food, beverages and tours answered, hopefully, in the next week. I will push to see what might be possible for early that morning on Feb. 12.  

Any word from those Australia and/or other locations as if they have received some of the basic information for the Mumbai hotel location, the rough tour, etc., info?

Hi all, 

We are shocked that we have not heard a word from Silversea. No letter about what hotel we are at or regarding tours in Mumbai. One part of MySilversea states we are in the Tower at the Taj but that is it. Anyone else  also in the dark?

29 minutes ago, Meg said:

Hi all, We are shocked that we have not heard a word from Silversea. No letter about what hotel we are at or regarding tours in Mumbai. One part of MySilversea states we are in the Tower at the Taj but that is it. Anyone else  also in the dark?

Where, Meg, are you located?  For many here in the U.S. and UK, we have reported getting both last Tuesday's initial email and then yesterday's update for tour options, food, etc.  None of us have ALL of the details, but at least many of us have received some of the initial "basics".  

Meg are you in Australia? I am and I only heard yesterday about the hotel we are staying in via our rep so nothing official. 
Have had no correspondence from SS since 14 Jan when our tour from Dubai to Mumbai was cancelled. We were told to make our own way to the hotel, we know nothing else apart from this webpage which is a valuable source of information.

No info whatsoever on mysilverseas account. Keep our chins up and hopefully hear soon.

Charli001

Hi Terry!

We are in Florida! Still have not received a thing from SS. If it wasn’t for all the wonderful people on this board I wouldn’t know a thing! Thank you to everyone

Would it be helpful, for those who have not heard what offerings are available on the new cruise dates, if we listed the excursions on each day.  Then you would be able to chose which ones you are interested in, then you could perhaps email silverseas/your travel agent and ask that these are booked for you before they are full.  No-one can reserve in Mumbai (these need to be done on arrival).  All those for the latter part of the cruise that remained unaltered have stayed in place.  It is just the earlier part of the cruise that needs to be re-booked.  It may not work, but if you think it's worth a try, let us know.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:21 AM, The Dog Fosterer said:

We are also flying down from Delhi, probably on the same plane.  I will probably do the shorter 2 hour drive in the afternoon and two of the 4 hour excursions on the following two days.  I am not sure I can cope with the local trains, but we'll see.  Having slept on it, it doesn't seem too bad.  I will just make sure I have a good book and my swimming costume to relax on the rooftop pool area which looks perfect.

There is no mention of a transfer from the hotel to the ship, have you heard anything about who is providing this? 

It was interesting that the excursions for the first two ports of call, whilst available for booking yesterday, have been removed again.  Not sure why. 

The uninspiring Mumbai excursion can only be booked in resort. Love the one where one of the highlights is Marine drive, and i have been allocated the Trident on Marine drive, go figure. My onboard excursions have all been added for the new schedule. So looking positive for cruise element

8 hours ago, Charli001 said:

I’m in the same situation. I hear nothing from SS and totally rely on this site for information. So pleased I stumbled across it.

Charli001

fyi - the last comms that you should have received , came from "Guest Confirmation" may not immediately look like from SSea. The xxxx will be hotel name. 

Silversea Expedition logo

Dear Esteemed Guest,

We hope this letter finds you well. Your arrival to Mumbai is fast approaching, and as promised, we are sharing today details on your hotel accommodations in Mumbai from 10 February until 14 February, when you’ll embark on Silver Moon and the immersive excursions available for you to experience in this historic and electrifying city.

Upon arrival to Mumbai on 10 February, you will stay at the acclaimed xxxxxxxxx , where you’ll enjoy 5-star accommodations overlooking Marine Drive or “Queen’s Necklace,” the city’s most famous promenade offering dazzling, panoramic views of the Arabian Sea. We trust you will find this elegant property with its serene décor and spacious contemporary ambiance boasting sophisticated dining and impeccable service, reflective of the seamless ultra-luxury experience you expect from Silversea.

Previously you were assigned to the Oberoi Hotel Mumbai, however they did not have the availability to extend your stay until 14 February. Therefore for your convenience we reallocated you to the Trident Hotel in order for you to remain at the same property until embarkation, and to avoid having to move hotels during your stay.

A Silversea hospitality desk will be available in the lobby to assist you with any needs.

During your stay you’ll find a reservation form for the exciting tour programs we have arranged for in Mumbai during the dates of 11 – 13 February. You will not be able to pre-reserve but can easily make your selections once at the hotel and drop the form with the Silversea hospitality desk. Destination team members will also be on hand to answer any questions as well as assist with reserving a private car or van, at additional cost. Here is a brief overview of the included excursions (one tour per guest per day) we are excited for you to consider in Mumbai:

BOM-A Mumbai Panorama (2 hrs.) - Available to reserve on February 11th, 12th & 13th
Discover the landmarks of Mumbai in comfort during a panoramic sightseeing drive through this bustling city. Highlights of your scenic excursion include the renowned Gateway of India, Marine Drive the Seaside Promenade, Mumbai City, and the Victoria Terminus.

BOM-B Highlights of Mumbai (4 hrs.) - Available to reserve on February 12th & 13th
Experience the highlights of Mumbai during a scenic orientation tour of this wonderful city. Highlights of your half-day excursion include the Gateway of India, Mumbai's most famous landmark, fascinating Prince of Wales Museum, Mani Bhavan, Dhobi Ghat, Victoria Terminus, Mumbai City and Marine Drive, Mumbai's picturesque seaside promenade.

BOM-C Mumbai's Temples (4.75 hrs.) – Available to reserve on February 12th & 13th
Explore the Hindu religion and its influences during this scenic and informative tour of the temples of Mumbai. Your half-day excursion stops by a local flower market, then visits the historic Shri Siddhivinayak Temple, dedicated to Lord Ganesh, the elephant-headed god, and the Hare Rama Hare Krishna Temple, an ISKCON temple.

BOM-D A Day in Mumbai (7 hrs.) - Available to reserve on February 12th & 13th
Experience the scenic beauty and landmarks of Mumbai in a unique new way on this full-day excursion through this bustling city. Depart the Church Gate Station and board a local train for the ride to Mahalakshmi Station en route to Dhobi Ghat and the Khotachiwadi for a guided tour of the urban village that features an eclectic blend of new homes and 18th-century Portuguese houses. Next, visit the Crawford Market, where Rudyard Kipling's family cottage still stands. Leaving the market, proceed for a buffet lunch at your hotel before heading out for Mani Bhavan, Gandhi's Bombay base from 1917 to 1934. It is now a permanent museum and memorial to the Mahatma.

BOM-E Mumbai's Jewish Heritage (3.5 hrs.) - Available to reserve on February 12th & 13th
Explore Mumbai's Jewish heritage during this memorable tour of the city's synagogues. Highlights of your half-day excursion include the Gateway of India, David Sassoon Library and Royal Institute of Science, and visits to the splendid Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue, expansive Magen David Synagogue, and historic Tiphereth Synagogue.

For guests who have reserved their air arrangements through Silversea, a representative will meet you at the airport for transfer to the Trident Hotel; please look for the Silversea team member designated with a sign who will greet you after you exit the terminal building from Gate B.

For those guests who have arranged their air independently, please ensure you secure and coordinate your transportation to the xxxxxxx hotel on 10 February.

All guests will have their Mumbai hotel accommodations updated to MySilversea within the next few days. If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your Travel Advisor or Cruise Consultant.

Thank you for your continued understanding of the circumstances that necessitated the delay to the start of your voyage. We hope you join our excitement for the enriching discovery of Mumbai and the unforgettable adventure that awaits aboard Silver Moon.

Best personal regards,

Silversea

Appreciate these above, helpful sharings of information for our Mumbai-Singapore Silver Moon adventure.  Hopefully more to come in the next few days.  Especially about food, beverages, etc., during our three days in Mumbai.  

In checking right now, our ship is making even better progress. This www.cruisemapper.com site now shows the Silver Moon (circled in red) arriving at 3:30 am on Feb. 2 in Cape Town. Ahead of schedule and plan!!   Isn't that Good News?

image.thumb.png.94f879c751da3d89b77b3b6ab4c9f0a1.png

image.thumb.png.274b60998a4a1be01f7c98ae11f29ba0.png

• Like 1

Also: Good News is that when checking our My Silversea this morning is that the tour options for a ports such Cochin seem to be working well . . . and holding solid in their system.

In addition, did yesterday some dining schedule fine-tuning and those are "sticking" well in their system. Part of the schedule for Feb. 11-13 needs to be updated, but it is good to see and verify continued technical progress.

On 1/30/2024 at 6:21 AM, The Dog Fosterer said:

We are also flying down from Delhi, probably on the same plane. 

Since you mentioned "flying down from Delhi", I assume you, like us and others, are doing some type of pre-cruise "India Golden Triangle" tour.  Right?  We will be doing by a private tour for exploring Delhi, Agra and Jaipur in the Feb. 5-11 period.

But, what about the weather for both Delhi and Mumbai in early February?  From AccuWeather, here are their projections.  Looking good?  Sunny!  Not too hot!  Dry!  Let's hope this forecast stays so positive and inviting.  

image.thumb.png.f897a97dcf1f52bf3af551ba977ee145.png

But, what about for Mumbai?  The averages there during this period are for warmer weather.  Here is the longer-range forecast from AccuWeather.  Look good?

image.thumb.png.55513755edb147a8c0ce711d2911d095.png

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

On 1/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, dawntrdr said:

it only applies when you are in Saudi territorial waters.  I understand from prior posts that suites will be inspected for alcohol, but they do not open your safe.

We traveled to Saudi Arabia via Silversea in March 2023. Saudi Arabia has never allowed alcohol due to religious reasons except for a few international hotels. We also had to remove alcohol from our room and there was no alcohol onboard. This is not new. And yes they can inspect your safe and I have heard of them doing so in the past so the notion you can squirrel alcohol safely in your safe is VERY risky you should not do it. You risk being thrown out of the country. They don’t play around there. 

5 hours ago, MuseCruiser said:

We traveled to Saudi Arabia via Silversea in March 2023. Saudi Arabia has never allowed alcohol due to religious reasons except for a few international hotels. We also had to remove alcohol from our room and there was no alcohol onboard. This is not new. And yes they can inspect your safe and I have heard of them doing so in the past so the notion you can squirrel alcohol safely in your safe is VERY risky you should not do it. You risk being thrown out of the country. They don’t play around there. 

More than that, we were told the ship could be impounded and everyone left in limbo-land.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Since you mentioned "flying down from Delhi", I assume you, like us and others, are doing some type of pre-cruise "India Golden Triangle" tour.  Right?  We will be doing by a private tour for exploring Delhi, Agra and Jaipur in the Feb. 5-11 period.

But, what about the weather for both Delhi and Mumbai in early February?  From AccuWeather, here are their projections.  Looking good?  Sunny!  Not too hot!  Dry!  Let's hope this forecast stays so positive and inviting.  

image.thumb.png.f897a97dcf1f52bf3af551ba977ee145.png

But, what about for Mumbai?  The averages there during this period are for warmer weather.  Here is the longer-range forecast from AccuWeather.  Look good?

image.thumb.png.55513755edb147a8c0ce711d2911d095.png

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

Terry, thanks for this information. It certainly looks like being dry for our Golden Triangle tour, however the temperatures expected in New Delhi and Agra are surprisingly (to us!) cool in the mornings and evenings. Make sure you have packed a jumper or two!  Clearly no jumpers required once we get to Mumbai where it should be very hot all day.

Thanks for all the weather updates, yes I think layers are the key for the Golden Triangle.

Just a tiny warning, I have been into My Silverseas and seen some random excursion bookings, and even double bookings on the same day.  Also some included excursions are being charged.  I am sure all these can be rectified when I speak to the Silverseas Rep in the hotel, but it might be an idea to keep checking your bookings to make sure the ones you want are still reserved for you.

Nearly there now, looking forward to meeting you all 'on the other side' 

2 minutes ago, The Dog Fosterer said:

Thanks for all the weather updates, yes I think layers are the key for the Golden Triangle.

Just a tiny warning, I have been into My Silverseas and seen some random excursion bookings, and even double bookings on the same day.  Also some included excursions are being charged.  I am sure all these can be rectified when I speak to the Silverseas Rep in the hotel, but it might be an idea to keep checking your bookings to make sure the ones you want are still reserved for you.

Nearly there now, looking forward to meeting you all 'on the other side' 

Thanks for the My Silversea multiple bookings warning. I have just looked and all was well, but it might be that they've not got round to updating my record.  I was worried that this might happen as I was rebooking them. I will keep on checking My Silversea each day!

While you are waiting for the Moon to trundle around Africa and across the Indian Ocean because of the problems in the Red Sea, a friend of mine returned yesterday from an exhausting but exhilarating week-long visit to Yemen.  Yes, Yemen.  They drove across from Salalah in Oman and toured the majestic Yemeni scenery and its amazing medieval towns of skyscrapers.  Incredible sights at every turn, friendly people, no political tension, just rather basic hotels and limited food.  They flew back to London from the Yemeni airport of Say-un via Cairo.  Here's a link to the travel company which also offers Iraq and Afghanistan. Worth thinking about when your next Silversea trip is cancelled.

https://untamedborders.com

image1.jpeg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

While you are waiting for the Moon to trundle around Africa and across the Indian Ocean because of the problems in the Red Sea, a friend of mine returned yesterday from an exhausting but exhilarating week-long visit to Yemen.  Yes, Yemen.  They drove across from Salalah in Oman and toured the majestic Yemeni scenery and its amazing medieval towns of skyscrapers.  Incredible sights at every turn, friendly people, no political tension, just rather basic hotels and limited food.  

Yes, interesting from Fletcher about those safely visiting that part of scenic Yemen.  BUT, isn't Yemen really two different countries and situations?? The west near the Red Sea under rebel control and full of dangers?  And, the eastern part that is more stable and possible?  But, no way I am crazy enough to suggest to my cautious wife about traveling to visit Yemen.  That would endanger my life to raise such an idea to her.  

The Silver Moon is right on schedule and set to arrive in Cape Town at 3:15 am Feb. 2.  Good news!!  Then, we will be able to watch the ship go across the Indian Ocean to arrive early Feb. 14 in Mumbai.  

From www.cruisemapper.com early this morning:   

image.thumb.png.f2f475db30627a6075df922eeb636180.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

While you are waiting for the Moon to trundle around Africa and across the Indian Ocean because of the problems in the Red Sea, a friend of mine returned yesterday from an exhausting but exhilarating week-long visit to Yemen.  Yes, Yemen.  They drove across from Salalah in Oman and toured the majestic Yemeni scenery and its amazing medieval towns of skyscrapers.  Incredible sights at every turn, friendly people, no political tension, just rather basic hotels and limited food.  They flew back to London from the Yemeni airport of Say-un via Cairo.  Here's a link to the travel company which also offers Iraq and Afghanistan. Worth thinking about when your next Silversea trip is cancelled.

image1.jpeg

Or join the Army. Be getting paid to go there before long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

image1.jpeg

Doing this trip takes some serious testicular fortitude.

• Haha 1