Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

Silver Moon.  Just spoken to my Silversea representative at 17.50 17/01/24  (I am in the uk), an american silver sea call centre. The cruise from Mumbai is due to  go ahead as scheduled. Btw the vessel has reached Valletta

Edited by southend

38 minutes ago, peace out said:

Appreciate this follow-up and news link. From that story, the most important part for me is: "Silversea writes in a statement to The Maritime Executive. 'The voyage between Mumbai and Singapore, scheduled between Feb 11 and Feb 29, is currently scheduled to proceed as planned.' " 

Right now on www.cruisemapper.com, it does not show the current position of the Silver Moon on this reliable website. Maybe Silversea has not yet posted as to their next port, arrival time, etc.  

Assume "our ship" is in Malta preparing to sail west to circumnavigate Africa.   Will keep monitoring to check for more updates and details.   Liked also the information provided by southend from the UK.  Keep up the great sharing.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

7 hours ago, Colleen Higginson said:

Is SS giving different refunds to everyone? I would also be interested in what SS are offering as I’m booked on a SS through the Red Sea in March which possibly will not go ahead 

I think it is a given that cruises in the next 3 to 4 months through the Red Sea and Suez will not be going ahead.

Their treatment of the passengers on these canceled cruises is pretty rough if you can’t have a refund and a discount. If you take the refund you will get no compensation for the cancellation. If you take the discount SS gets to keep your money for 6 months or more. I can smell a class action from Australians who have been inflicted with distress by these actions. 

I say this because it is allowed under our consumer laws and also because Australians will be irate when they find out we are being charged 5.5% more than Americans for the same cruise.

I found out as we are in Bangkok at the moment and trying to figure out a replacement for a cancelled 2025 cruise. I can’t access the SilverSea Australian website as it defaults to the American website even when I type in the.com.au address in the address. The cruise we are looking at is $US11400 without any discounts which today would be $A17100 but the quote from our TA using the Australian office is $A18100.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, drron29 said:

I think it is a given that cruises in the next 3 to 4 months through the Red Sea and Suez will not be going ahead.

Their treatment of the passengers on these canceled cruises is pretty rough if you can’t have a refund and a discount. If you take the refund you will get no compensation for the cancellation. If you take the discount SS gets to keep your money for 6 months or more. I can smell a class action from Australians who have been inflicted with distress by these actions. 

I say this because it is allowed under our consumer laws and also because Australians will be irate when they find out we are being charged 5.5% more than Americans for the same cruise.

I found out as we are in Bangkok at the moment and trying to figure out a replacement for a cancelled 2025 cruise. I can’t access the SilverSea Australian website as it defaults to the American website even when I type in the.com.au address in the address. The cruise we are looking at is $US11400 without any discounts which today would be $A17100 but the quote from our TA using the Australian office is $A18100.

Related to what you point out in the first paragraph, if Australia’s consumer protection laws are more stringent than American laws that might explain the price differential. 

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Related to what you point out in the first paragraph, if Australia’s consumer protection laws are more stringent than American laws that might explain the price differential. 

Doubt it as Americans are more likely to take legal action and awards larger than Australia.

Comparing Aussie versus U.S. tort law is much, much beyond my mental and/or legal skill levels.  

But, more important, I just saw on the www.cruisemapper.com website that the Silver Moon is still, now in Malta.  They have, however, listed that this ship's next destination is Cape Town and due there February 2 at 10 am.  Progress?  Here is the graphic from this website: 

image.thumb.png.5c631ed20530440e469d33f22d35f423.png

Tonight's key question: From my earlier checking, to do Cape Town to Mumbai, it means sailing 4599 nautical miles.  That would require 10 days 16 hours to accomplish at 18 knots speed as per sea-distances.org. How will that work out for reaching Mumbai on February 11 or 12?   Can they speed up the schedule for arriving in Cape Town?  Or, sail at a higher speed than 18 knots?

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Edited by TLCOhio

@TLCOhio - your ship is on the way. Leaving Valetta this morning at 0700 local time, heading for Cape Town (2 Feb) where I guess your food will be taken on board.  And where the Moon will have a long drink. 

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 06.22.45.png

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

@TLCOhio - your ship is on the way. Leaving Valetta this morning at 0700 local time, heading for Cape Town (2 Feb) where I guess your food will be taken on board.  And where the Moon will have a long drink. 

Super appreciate the excellent sail-away picture and follow-up from savvy UK travel expert Fletcher.  Hopefully for us, the Silver Moon will connect with our food for our 18-day cruise to Singapore in Mumbai.  Maybe, if and if, depending cruising speeds that will be the routing used by the Captain of the Silver Moon.  Cute comment as to our ship needing to take a "LONG DRINK" in Cape Town.  Yes, lots of fuel will be needed to be loaded in Cape Town for that long journey across the Indian Ocean.  

From www.cruisemapper.com  below (circled in red) is a visual capture for the current position in the Med for the Silver Moon as it sails west-bound:

image.thumb.png.5161c2815067713f12211f67c8896860.png

And, here is the current, colorful view in Malta with the Silver Moon having departed this am. 

image.thumb.png.b0a9a921ddb8cc6302e53f369cc6db1c.png

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• Like 1

Just a thought or two.  

Surely Silversea has business interruption insurance? The question is if war or terrorism is covered in their policy and the amount of coverage. 

Wouldn’t that factor into their decision making and risk/benefit analysis at some point?

However at some point too, the huge open and obvious danger to passengers and crew and vessel must tip the scales.

Wonder if the insurance helps with reimbursement by the cruise line to the pocket of the pax.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Just a thought or two.  Surely Silversea has business interruption insurance? The question is if war or terrorism is covered in their policy and the amount of coverage. Wouldn’t that factor into their decision making and risk/benefit analysis at some point?  However at some point too, the huge open and obvious danger to passengers and crew and vessel must tip the scales.   Wonder if the insurance helps with reimbursement by the cruise line to the pocket of the pax.

YES!!  Great, important point and question from our Florida friend who is legally very savvy.  I am sure part of the delay by Silversea is that ALL of the many "bean-counters" and "legal-eagles" within Silversea and Royal Caribbean must check all of these various "angles" to figure out what works best and causes the least bottom-line damages for both passengers and the company.

It is all very complex and challenging.  Keep it coming as the various factors involved while those of us on this scheduled Feb. 11 sailing from Mumbai to Singapore await to hear the specifics from the Silversea officials in change who know for certain as to "THE PLAN".  

21 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

It's great, Terry, how you are keeping the parallel threads updated.  Thanks very much.

Appreciate this kind follow-up from our Philadelphia-area "neighbor".  It's been interesting to follow these developments and be awaiting some "word" from Silversea as to their exact plans/promises for Mumbai, etc.  

As of this morning, per www.cruisemapper.com, the Silver Moon is now about half way between Malta and Gibraltar.  This website says this ship is traveling at a 17 knots speed and is still on their schedule to arrive in Cape Town at 10 am on Feb. 2.  Good enough to make Mumbai by Feb. 11?   

image.thumb.png.ccfa08d221b3f9e1de6a5d5a08c8c7f2.png

Regarding all the speculation about where & when Silver Moon will arrive & depart from, it occured to me that one of the events that has not been factored into these discussions are the Mid Voyage Land Adventures departing from both Goa & Colombo.   Yes, I agree that these can be cancelled and or perhaps re scheduled, but firstly I suspect Silversea make a healthy profit (or loss!!) on them and secondly they clearly all have to be completed before the ships departure from Trincomalee, Sri Lanka.

Finally regarding the current speed I would be prepared to wager a bet that the Captain has been told the day & time that he has to arrive in Cape Town & he has set the ship up to achieve that.    I agree that the more interesting point is what happens after that.   Interesting times!!

32 minutes ago, 9stilton said:

Regarding all the speculation about where & when Silver Moon will arrive & depart from, it occured to me that one of the events that has not been factored into these discussions are the Mid Voyage Land Adventures departing from both Goa & Colombo.   Yes, I agree that these can be cancelled and or perhaps re scheduled, but firstly I suspect Silversea make a healthy profit (or loss!!) on them and secondly they clearly all have to be completed before the ships departure from Trincomalee, Sri Lanka.  Finally regarding the current speed I would be prepared to wager a bet that the Captain has been told the day & time that he has to arrive in Cape Town & he has set the ship up to achieve that.    I agree that the more interesting point is what happens after that.   Interesting times!!

YES!, agree as to these being "interesting times".  Great point/questions as to the various mid voyage options that, I assume, are fairly profitable for Silversea.  Plus, the different pre-cruise tours that Silversea has booked for the Golden Triangle.  

Agree that the Silver Moon Captain has been told a date/time for arriving in Cape Town.  BUT, will the top bosses at Silversea and Royal Caribbean order adjustments as they consider the various "costs" financially and with "customer relations"??

On another CC SS thread, there was an excellent comment and follow-up from our Florida/FDNY friend as to how sea conditions and weather can seriously impact these potential sailing times.  Storms and rough seas can affect speeds, routes, etc.  Great point of importance!!  

Here's another factor that might play into the challenges for Silversea:  There were probably a certain number scheduled on the Feb. 11-29 sailing who have been bumped off of the previous sailing from the Middle East to Mumbai.  Will those earlier, planned passengers scrub totally or be happy to adjust for flying into Mumbai to join the Silver Moon there? 

From the Washington Post this morning, they had this headline: Houthis target U.S.-owned tanker with these highlights: “Iranian-backed Houthi militants targeted a tanker in the third such attack on commercial shipping in three days, U.S. Central Command said, as President Biden acknowledged that U.S. strikes have not deterred the Yemen-based group.”

Also for Silversea, they have ships later this winter and spring that are scheduled to sail west-bound from Asia up the Suez Canal and to the Med.  When does Silversea start to change those schedules and sailing plans?  The continued Houthis attacks should make clear that this danger-zone near Yemen is not being resolved ant time soon.  And, it might ramp up, UP to an even worst danger situation.  Right or wrong?

Any other issues and questions facing the bosses at Silversea?  In addition to the expected fuel consumption, re-fueling point along the western Africa coast, food/staff re-supply, etc.??

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/01/19/israel-hamas-war-news-gaza-palestine-updates/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 248,212 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1

The Silver Moon, circled below in Red has passed Gibraltar and is now in the Atlantic heading south towards Cape Town.  

image.thumb.png.cee84242ab1034a484804332ff70aa0b.png

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 2

My realistic views are continuing to be optimistic and hopeful for a Silver Moon docking in Mumbai around Feb. 11-12.  Below is the chart for the current Silver Moon position off of the coast of Morocco.  Progress is being made and the ship is heading in the right direction.  

Yes, I worry about the negative-twisted "Bean Counters" within Silversea, but there's lots of money to be made from this Mumbai-scheduled sailing that is sold-out for all of the top-end suites, etc., plus much added cash to be banked from the pre-cruise and mid-voyage special excursions, etc.  That positive cash yield from the Feb. 11-29 schedule helps cover much of the added fuel costs for cranking the sailing speed up above the 17 knot rate in order to make the planned timing schedule work.  

From www.cruisemapper.com, here is the current Silver Moon position off of the coast of northern Africa.: 

image.thumb.png.2102dca7863ee369dcfa41b1b807d342.png

I truly hope some of the crew is enjoying our silver suite 1005 . I am glad they cancelled us but maybe the crew can enjoy sleeping in nice quarters as they keep trucking around Africa 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

My realistic views are continuing to be optimistic and hopeful for a Silver Moon docking in Mumbai around Feb. 11-12.  Below is the chart for the current Silver Moon position off of the coast of Morocco.  Progress is being made and the ship is heading in the right direction.  

Yes, I worry about the negative-twisted "Bean Counters" within Silversea, but there's lots of money to be made from this Mumbai-scheduled sailing that is sold-out for all of the top-end suites, etc., plus much added cash to be banked from the pre-cruise and mid-voyage special excursions, etc.  That positive cash yield from the Feb. 11-29 schedule helps cover much of the added fuel costs for cranking the sailing speed up above the 17 knot rate in order to make the planned timing schedule work.  

From www.cruisemapper.com, here is the current Silver Moon position off of the coast of northern Africa.: 

image.thumb.png.2102dca7863ee369dcfa41b1b807d342.png

Hi Terry 

I'm with you all the way on this.  Just reversing what you have said I believe that SS have a lot to lose, should this cruise not take place.  Just completing back of the hand calculations, it would seem to me that the cost of NOT doing it could be much higher than £10m!!  If you took 600 passengers each paying an average of £8k pp (perhaps understated) should it not happen, then refunds would cost SS £5m alone.   That takes no account of ongoing running costs, crew pay etc plus loss of special excursions, compensation to be paid etc.  

So an extra £20k or so on fuel is indeed small fry!!

• Like 1

Ship making good progress nearing the Canary  Islands. There is a published ship arrival schedule on the Mumbai port site that lists the Silver Moon docking  on the 14th February. Confident cruise will go ahead albeit with a later start and route amended to arrive at Singapore as per original programme. Question is what will be dropped. Still no word from Silversea.  Ship making good progress nearing the Canary  Islands   File809.pdf (mumbaiport.gov.in)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 9stilton said:

Hi Terry I'm with you all the way on this.  Just reversing what you have said I believe that SS have a lot to lose, should this cruise not take place.  Just completing back of the hand calculations, it would seem to me that the cost of NOT doing it could be much higher than £10m!!  If you took 600 passengers each paying an average of £8k pp (perhaps understated) should it not happen, then refunds would cost SS £5m alone.   That takes no account of ongoing running costs, crew pay etc plus loss of special excursions, compensation to be paid etc.  

So an extra £20k or so on fuel is indeed small fry!!

Love much as to the above posting and these rough calculations forthe financial trade-offs for why it is "WORTH IT" for Silversea to make sure the Silver Moon can make it to Mumbai in a reasonable timing.  

Appreciate southend sharing: "Ship making good progress nearing the Canary Islands."

Also love Kauaijim saying: "I truly hope some of the crew is enjoying our silver suite 1005 . I am glad they cancelled us but maybe the crew can enjoy sleeping in nice quarters as they keep trucking around Africa."  That says to me that most of all of the ship’s staff are now on the Silver Moon as it sails south.  That’s great to hear!!  Why?  The staff will be relaxed and ready to see us as the passengers boarding, the ship will be all polished up, etc., etc. 

If that 14th date becomes "it" for Mumbai arrival, we can adjust and extend our pre-cruise private tour. After doing Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, we are looking at and debating between Jodhpur and/or Udaipur as an addition. It is 5+ hours by our tour vehicle from Jaipur to Jodhpur. For Jodhpur (with 2.3 million in the metro area), it is considered calm and has a traditional feel . . . versus . . . Jaipur being busy and lively. Could be interesting? Anyone with experiences and tips for these different areas of India? Then, we would fly from Jodhpur to Mumbai on the 13th or 14th, if the Feb. 11th date gets changed by Silversea.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 110,467 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

Terry…a vote here for Udaipur. While the sites..eg forts…in these hallmark cities

felt somewhat repetitive to us, the Oberoi hotel is fabulous. We had a room where

you stepped off of your patio into a pool. The entire property was spectacular.

Keep  us posted. Seems that you will sail….now to get some info on our SSSpirit

Mahe-Dubai segment.

52 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

Terry…a vote here for Udaipur. While the sites..eg forts…in these hallmark cities

felt somewhat repetitive to us, the Oberoi hotel is fabulous. We had a room where

you stepped off of your patio into a pool. The entire property was spectacular.

Keep  us posted. Seems that you will sail….now to get some info on our SSSpirit

Mahe-Dubai segment.

Great suggestion and details about Udaipur.  Have researched more and it looks amazing.   BUT, have to wait for any "word" from Silversea as to their exact timing and plans.  

Yes, serious questions as to the west-bound cruise ships now scheduled for later this winter and spring to be doing that planned Red Sea to Suez Canal passages. 

• Like 1