Silver Moon: Late Dec., Jan. Sailing Challenges/Questions??

TLCOhio

21 hours ago, Macarooney said:

I am OVER the buffet and missing pre dinner champagne

So sad, but very true as to above and from taxatty in Miami.  My lunch evaluation from yesterday might have been overly-optimistic.  Last night's dinner was more of the SAME!!  Boring, uninspiring BALLROOM BUFFET food that any medium-level Holiday Inn would serve up in luke-warm big "institutional" trays.  

Personally, I like the one beer offered, Kingfisher Ultra, from here India.  Other beer people hate the lack of any choice.  Wine options?  One lame red from here in India and one white offering.  If you do not like spicy foods and/or non-meat items, your "choices" are "SLIM and NONE".  

The Silversea staff here, limited and powerless, try to spin it as being being the hotel's fault.  WRONG!  It's the cheap, tight-wad "Bean-Counters" in either Miami or Monaco limiting the options and expected quality.  Fair or unfair?? 

Remember the original written promise and commitment: "three-night luxury hotel accommodations, reflective of Silversea standards, and enriching and immersive excursions in Mumbai.”?

Is this called legally as "Bait and Switch"?    Or, the long-standing customers are so dumb, they won't noice or say anything.  Lots of grumbling!!

But, now some good news:  Here are two nice visuals.  One aview from the top floor of the Taj Tower and second from their lobby inside.  Both classy!!  And fun!!

image.jpeg.82cc4722b5c06b3529b3e3ec86524618.jpeg

image.jpeg.cc2d41cb723046c903c95fabe6d58cfa.jpeg

And there has been some nice music at dinner.  Here is an example from last night.  Nice a touch of  the local and classic feel/style. 

image.jpeg.76a022af8329029724f8585c59d509c2.jpeg

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,402 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 2

Good Morning Terry - So pleased that you have finally managed to get to India and appear to have had a great time Touring.

The idea that your situation of Poor Food at The Taj Hotel in Mumbai is the fault of the Hotel is, in my opinion, absurd. We have dined at The Taj and I can only say that the Food & Presentation was second to none.

I agree that unfortunately it seems that Silversea is failing on the Food front across a number of Ships according to a some reliable Contributors and your experience confirms that Standards have definitely fallen due to costcutting. I am afraid the Silversea Advertising on a number of aspects does not come good in reality.

I sincerely hope that matters improve once on board and that you have a wonderful Cruise - Looking forward to your Reports. 

• Like 1

I too can vouch for excellent food at the Taj Mumbai.  I presume Silversea have reached a deal with the hotel for group rates there.  I think I might have bitten the bullet and gone to one of the good ones and paid extra - should not be the case, but it seems a shame to spoil a visit to Mumbai and that hotel.  I wonder if any of the passengers did that.

• Like 2

Regardless of who is to blame for the mediocre food here at the Trident, as provided by Silversea, there is no reason that Silversea could not have provided a 'drink package' at the hotel by covering incidentals (up to a daily limit $??) for us to spend on drinks, restaurants, etc.

We came to the Trident a few days early and the restaurants at the Trident and the adjoining Oberoi have very good to excellent food in an upscale environment. A daily incidental budget would have greatly improved the experience and the amount not used could then flow into OBC.

Looking forward to embarking tomorrow!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billc23 said:

Regardless of who is to blame for the mediocre food here at the Trident, as provided by Silversea, there is no reason that Silversea could not have provided a 'drink package' at the hotel by covering incidentals (up to a daily limit $??) for us to spend on drinks, restaurants, etc.   We came to the Trident a few days early and the restaurants at the Trident and the adjoining Oberoi have very good to excellent food in an upscale environment. A daily incidental budget would have greatly improved the experience and the amount not used could then flow into OBC.   Looking forward to embarking tomorrow!

Appreciate ALL of these above great comments, insights and follow-ups.  The Good News is that someone at Silversea Miami and/or Monaco is getting the "MESSAGE" . . . maybe,  just a little.  Today's lunch buffet in the Crystal Ballroom of the historic Taj Palace was much better, even offering two different white wine options, plus the local red and the Kingfisher Ultra.  Progress!!!  A little.  Let's hope things tonight also shows improving standards in food variety, service and quality.  

At lunch today with a veteran of twenty-two cruises with Silversea, she  speculated (and hoped) that once on board the ship, they might offer either some added on-board credits and/or FCC as a way of saying "sorry" that better arrangements on short notice could not have been arranged.  We can live in hope!!

Our bags need to be outside of hotel room doors at 10 pm tonight and we probably will be departing our hotels in the 8-10 am time period tomorrow.  They want everyone on-board the ship by noon, Feb. 14. 

By the way, in advance, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to all.  

Below are two charts for the current Silver Moon position as it nears Mumbai.  The Captain is confident in now only traveling at 14.4 knots with calm seas currently.

image.thumb.png.958f068c42764cce0e6b3de16050f11b.png

image.png.6484cbc638f228226718a179f0d72320.png

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 20,657 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 4

Success!!!  Silver Moon now docked in Mumbai per www.cruisemapper.com.  See graphic map below.

image.thumb.png.c6088ca34daccc023d69f9308f3fadc7.png

Boarding to start soon.  Celebration!  Look forward to learning so much more from the crew and staff members about their long and amazing journey around Africa. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 4

Terry so glad the Moon got there with no more delays! We look forward to following your travels. It’s been an intriguing journey getting to this point for everyone on this cruise. Safe travels!

17 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Terry so glad the Moon got there with no more delays! We look forward to following your travels. It’s been an intriguing journey getting to this point for everyone on this cruise. Safe travels!

Boarding, safety drills, sail-away, etc.  All completed!!  Smooth sailing for the Silver Moon now heading south to Goa and its interesting Portugal history/architecture, etc.  Things looking nice and everyone friendly and helpful.  More later!!

• Like 5

All smooth sailing from Mumbai for the Silver Moon as we are re-fueled and back to being loaded with passengers.  Now heading south to Goa.  

Need "evidence" for what we saw?  And proof that there are some interesting things here in Mumbai?  See below from yesterday including the Gateway of India Arch that greeted an English King and Queen (and many others), being at the colorful morning flower market and visiting various temples, etc.  Lots more to share later when able to start my live/blog.

image.jpeg.eb9270a794e0a1a52fc761a05e8ea8cd.jpeg

image.jpeg.b01fb3d9f5f2839bb5f8871abbf0cca2.jpeg

image.jpeg.5b3ccb77d387953b3eb50a6d2785e841.jpeg

image.jpeg.c1e0d98f250067eb062bc8b0dd390e45.jpeg

image.jpeg.47a79647bb2ce0d80c97bb1a6dfb6971.jpeg

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Yea !!!  Enjoy the voyage ! Now you can totally sit back and relax

Relax??  What is that?  So much to see do on the ship, plus all of the varied and interesting ports.  Hope to start my live/blog tomorrow on our first sea day.  

Ready to start our tour of historic Goa churches, going to a spice plantation etc. Will be hot, HOT today.  High of about 95F.   

• Like 3

Looks like the Moon is finally back on track again. 

Has anybody from the Jan 6 sailing had any communication from Silversea regarding the reimbursement on incurred travel expenses or the FCC that is supposed to be given as a result of the trip's disruptions? 

54 minutes ago, Skyhigh said:

Looks like the Moon is finally back on track again. 

Has anybody from the Jan 6 sailing had any communication from Silversea regarding the reimbursement on incurred travel expenses or the FCC that is supposed to be given as a result of the trip's disruptions? 

We have asked for the charge for canceling our bus class tix to Jordon and back from Dubai , only $400 luckily and no answer in theory we have $100 fcc for the trip we transferred to. Back to Seaborne after we take the trip. Glad the Moon is cruising again . 

18 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

We have asked for the charge for canceling our bus class tix to Jordon and back from Dubai , only $400 luckily and no answer in theory we have $100 fcc for the trip we transferred to. Back to Seaborne after we take the trip. Glad the Moon is cruising again . 

When did you make the request?  

On 2/19/2024 at 4:10 AM, Charli001 said:

Hi Terry, Finally made it onto Silvermoon, would love to catch up for a chat. Are you available?  Charlie 001 Sydney

YES, available.  Maybe on our second, upcoming sea-day, or that morning before we arrive in the afternoon in Thailand.  In suite 657.  Let me know what works best for you. 

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, have a wonderful trip😀

YES, Lois, enjoying much.  Check out the Live/Blog being posted now, let me know any questions, likes, comments, etc.  Lots of visuals from on the ship, of the crew, places visited, etc.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 4:10 AM, Charli001 said:

Hi Terry,  Finally made it onto Silvermoon, would love to catch up for a chat. Are you available?  Charlie 001 Sydney

During our cruise, it was great to hook up in-person with Charlie 001 from wonderful Australia.  She share, despite the bad and confused communications from the Aussie SS people, that Silversea did a good good job in refunds done for the scrubbed Dubai to Mumbai, etc., cruise and costs down.  

NEXT?? It's the question as to what happens, or not??, for how the Silver Moon gets back from Asia to its key bookings in the Med for later this Spring and during the summer period.   Those Med bookings for the Silver Moon are big, BIG money.  Those Med schedules must be completed.  Getting Singapore to Mumbai, etc., are important, but not as major as the Med schedules.  

Having been on the Silver Moon Feb. 14-29, Mumbai to Singapore, I offer the view that this situation is somewhat a Charles Dickens "Tale of Two Cities".  From those experiences on the Silver Moon, the staff on the ship are excellent and "gets it" totally for serving the passengers well.  As to the Silversea brass and paper-pusher in Monaco and Miami, that's a totally different situation.  Sadly!!  It's the Silversea and/or Royal Caribbean "bureaucracy" and "bean-counters" that are completely out-of-touch for understanding the terrible situation facing customers left "HANGING" and waiting and waiting in not knowing when and how a decision will be made and effective communications are going to happen.  

From being on the Silver Moon and talking with a number of the ship officials, I also know this is a very complex and challenging situation.  These ships are not jet aircraft that can be quickly be moved around the globe in a few hours of time.  The "supply chain" for food and materials, refueling, getting the right staff in place, etc.  That is also very, very difficult to manage and maneuver.  Nothing is easy, simple or quick.  

Hoping that the Middle East warfare stops and is quickly fixed would be desired.  BUT, here is a quick sample for this morning's reality there: 

From the Associated Press/AP newswire this morning, they had this headline: Yemen's rebels target Singapore-flagged ship in Gulf of Aden as US and allies down Houthi drones with these highlights:The attack on Friday targeted the bulk carrier Propel Fortune, which continued on its way, according to the United States military's Central Command. 'The missiles did not impact the vessel," the U.S. military said. "There were no injuries or damages reported.'  The Houthis said Saturday they were behind the attack. Houthi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree claimed that along with targeting the Propel Fortune, the Houthi forces also launched 37 drones targeting American warships.  American officials said early Saturday that the U.S. Navy, allied warships and aircraft have shot down 15 bomb-carrying Houthi drones in the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea.   Friday's attack on Propel Fortune came after a Houthi missile struck a commercial ship in the Gulf of Aden on Wednesday, killing three of its crew members and forcing survivors to abandon the vessel.”

In the past week, I read more about the details of the attack in February on a fertilizer-carrying cargo ship, the Rubymar.  That ship sank last Saturday after drifting for several days.  Plus, there was the recent downing of an American drone worth tens of millions of dollars.  

To dream this "situation" clears up in the next few weeks seems rather unrealistic.  Right or wrong?  When will Silversea finalize when and how the Silver Moon heads back and gets to its booking for these Europe port later this Spring?

Full story at:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/yemens-rebels-target-singapore-flagged-ship-in-gulf-of-aden-as-us-and-allies-down-houthi-drones/60145913

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 249,338 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Terry, it was great to hook up with you also. I’m going to put this out there, has anyone asked for a refund for the 3 days sailing that we missed on Silvermoon (18 days to 15)seeing Mumbai was a bit of a disaster. Im going to ask the question and hopefully get a positive response.

Big high to all the Brits that I met on board, miss our Trivia.

Charli001