Cancellation of cruise in the Middle East

Hill Country Dakota

Apologizes to copyright regulations for cutting/pasting an article yesterday about the drone (from Yemenis) just getting shot down in the Red Sea by a US Navy Destroyer. Right on our Oceania itinerary for our November 29 sailing from Istanbul to Dubai! Yemen then stated they will attack more ships! If we have any crazy, dangerous things happen to us and our kids sue Oceania, there’s probably an exclusion for acts of war 😳😩 Thanks, Oceania. 

I’ve tried everything I can think of to get an FCC (gave up trying to get a refund.) Quite a way to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Sigh. 

13 minutes ago, davencl said:

Interesting that the only mention of this ban is in this thread.  Would like to see link to outside source.

Yes. Personally I find it very hard to believe that someone can be banned from a cruise line based on a media interview.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, davencl said:

Interesting that the only mention of this ban is in this thread.  Would like to see link to outside source.

The source is the individual who was banned.  That's the best I can do.  Since cruise critic encourages anonymity, I'm not going to post the text messages I received from that person.  They are currently on a non-NCL trip, but when they return, I will ask if I can publish a redacted copy of the letter to satisfy your skepticism.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes. Personally I find it very hard to believe that someone can be banned from a cruise line based on a media interview.

You do have to wonder if there’s more to this than meets the eye.

Maybe they are constant complainers….. but before somebody else jumps down my throat …. maybe not!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vallesan said:

You do have to wonder if there’s more to this than meets the eye.

Maybe they are constant complainers….. but before somebody else jumps down my throat …. maybe not!

Or they totally abused the staff over the issue before even doing the interview. Who knows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarianneBD said:

Apologizes to copyright regulations for cutting/pasting an article yesterday about the drone (from Yemenis) just getting shot down in the Red Sea by a US Navy Destroyer. Right on our Oceania itinerary for our November 29 sailing from Istanbul to Dubai! Yemen then stated they will attack more ships! If we have any crazy, dangerous things happen to us and our kids sue Oceania, there’s probably an exclusion for acts of war 😳😩 Thanks, Oceania. 

I’ve tried everything I can think of to get an FCC (gave up trying to get a refund.) Quite a way to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Sigh. 

Thanks for recapping that news piece. It was important.

36 minutes ago, Charlene Jones said:

The source is the individual who was banned.  That's the best I can do.  Since cruise critic encourages anonymity, I'm not going to post the text messages I received from that person.  They are currently on a non-NCL trip, but when they return, I will ask if I can publish a redacted copy of the letter to satisfy your skepticism.  

Without anything but the word of a second-hand anonymous source, there is absolutely no reason to believe the veracity of this unknown, unnamed person who claims something without proof.    

In any case the text messages are not relevant.  The alleged letter from Oceania would be a good place to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Charlene Jones said:

I have heard/read over the years that some cruise lines will ban you if you do a credit card chargeback.  Maybe that is what happened here.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I have heard/read over the years that some cruise lines will ban you if you do a credit card chargeback.  Maybe that is what happened here.  

Here is a link to a recent article written by a consumer advocate discussing  a ban by NCL after a customer initiated a credit card dispute.  https://consumerrescue.org/cruise-fiascos/cruise-line-do-not-sail-list-banned-from-cruising/

5 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Here is a link to a recent article written by a consumer advocate discussing  a ban by NCL after a customer initiated a credit card dispute.  https://consumerrescue.org/cruise-fiascos/cruise-line-do-not-sail-list-banned-from-cruising/

The doubters likely won't be satisfied unless the head of NCL posts here in the affirmative. 🙄

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Without anything but the word of a second-hand anonymous source, there is absolutely no reason to believe the veracity of this unknown, unnamed person who claims something without proof.    

In any case the text messages are not relevant.  The alleged letter from Oceania would be a good place to start.

I guess we shouldn't believe the vast majority of what is on this board as it overwhelmingly unsubstantiated.  I've been trying to share information to help others receive cruise credit and/or money back.  I was instrumental in getting the article in the USA Today.  And I was successful in getting FCCs through the help of a wonderful travel agency.  Why would I lie about this or anything else I post?  Do you work for NCL?  That might explain your attitude.  

• Like 5

Let me say this: we don't know the whole story. Maybe as part of the settlement and the $20k refund was that they agreed not to sail on the line ever again.

That said, as a business owner myself, I automatically ban customers who initiate a chargeback or PayPal dispute. If someone uses the product or the service and then requests the money back, why would I allow them to use it again? Who guarantees they won't do it again?

Without knowing the full picture and judging anyone, it's hard to know what exactly happened. But as a business owner myself, I can understand why in certain cases a business would ban someone from using their services or products ever again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

If someone uses the product or the service and then requests the money back, why would I allow them to use it again? Who guarantees they won't do it again?

If a merchant fails to deliver goods and services as described, and the merchant fails to in good faith attempt to negotiate a compromise, then why shouldn't the consumer have initiated the chargeback, as the US Congress allowed?  If the card issuer then agrees with the consumer to issue a permanent credit for the transaction, it presumably found a lawful reason for so doing.   Maybe the merchant should also refuse future business with the bank for agreeing with the consumer.  

Edited by roninman

1 minute ago, roninman said:

If the merchant fails to deliver goods and services as described, and the merchant fails to in good faith attempt to negotiate a compromise, then why shouldn't the consumer have initiated the chargeback, as the US Congress allowed?  If the card issuer then agrees with the consumer to issue a permanent credit for the transaction, it presumably found a lawful reason for so doing.   Maybe the merchant should also refuse future business with the bank for agreeing with the consumer.  

This is a big IF. Who decides if the merchant failed to deliver? The credit card company? Many of those complaints are absurd, and credit card companies in 90% protect their customers, no matter if the reason for the chargeback is justified or not.

In the link given, the family requested a full refund because their cabins were not connected. NCL offered them a future credit, but they refused and initiated a chargeback for a full refund. Does it fall under category "fails to deliver goods and services as described"? They got a full service from the company, including accommodations, food etc.

If I were NCL, I would definitely ban them. Nobody wants troublemakers as their customers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is a big IF. Who decides if the merchant failed to deliver? The credit card company? Many of those complaints are absurd, and credit card companies in 90% protect their customers, no matter if the reason for the chargeback is justified or not.

In the link given, the family requested a full refund because their cabins were not connected. NCL offered them a future credit, but they refused and initiated a chargeback for a full refund. Does it fall under category "fails to deliver goods and services as described"? They got a full service from the company, including accommodations, food etc.

In a chargeback situation, the credit card issuer decides whether the goods or services were correctly delivered.  If the merchant disagrees, the merchant can pursue collection or further court or arbitration action against the consumer.   This is simply a part of the business environment the merchant agrees to when it decides to accept credit cards in the first place.  Or as the pundits here like to say, "read the contract."

In the link given, the card issuer disagreed with the consumer, and agreed with the merchant.  So this is an example of the card company saying the charge was not justified.  

Really, though, the discussion wasn't about the link, but about the USA Today featured passengers, and their allegedly being banned for simply discussing the situation- I don't recall whether they had initiated a cc dispute?

1 hour ago, Charlene Jones said:

I guess we shouldn't believe the vast majority of what is on this board as it overwhelmingly unsubstantiated.  I've been trying to share information to help others receive cruise credit and/or money back.  I was instrumental in getting the article in the USA Today.  And I was successful in getting FCCs through the help of a wonderful travel agency.  Why would I lie about this or anything else I post?  Do you work for NCL?  That might explain your attitude.  

Nah, I’m ready to criticize when criticism is warranted.  Ask anyone who’s read many of my posts.

if someone online says their steak was over cooked, I tend to believe them, because that is a common occurrence and does not require a suspension of belief. If someone claims an event occurred that sounds unlikely, then my tendency is to not be as willing to simply accept such a claim without supporting evidence. 

This falls into the latter category. 

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 1

I sincerely hope that we have an opportunity to see first hand the reason this occurred when those affected return from their travels. 

After how Oceania has handled this entire situation, or not handled it, I am not in the skeptical camp. 

I also highly doubt that the people banned give two hoots after the whole debacle. I seriously doubt that they would want to set foot on an NCL ship again after being offered FCC only to have it rescinded and all that followed. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After sending multiple emails to everyone I could think of, I got a response from the head of Guest Services after sending the article about the Navy destroyer shooting down the drone in the Red Sea. I am one of many who were offered an FCC that was rescinded. 

“We recognize that you are booked on an Oceania voyage whose itinerary has been altered due to the current crisis.  It is a very unsettling, destabilizing and time in our world today. 

The safety and security of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit remains paramount.  We have made the decision to cancel all calls to the area.  Because we knew that this would be a difficult change for our guests, we made an open-ended offer for Future Cruise Credits. This was offered on a first come basis. Unfortunately, this offer was oversubscribed, and a decision was made at the enterprise level to sunset the offer of FCC.

Please be advised that if you decide to cancel your upcoming voyage at this time, the standard penalties will apply. We are not offering any compensation or issuing any Future Cruise Credits for any reservations that are canceled.

We understand the frustration and hope you will decide to sail and we are confident that they will enjoy their voyage.

Sincerely,

Dayami Lazo / Senior Director, Guest Services

P: +1-800-531-5658 ext. 44893 / F: +1 305-514-2222

dlazo@oceaniacruises.com | www.oceaniacruises.com 

Oceania Cruises

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

­­­

• Thanks 1